looking for older ladies losing 50 lbs

Options
hi I'm a 50 year old woman trying to start a weight loss plan to lose 50 pounds and I'm finding it to be very hard. Looking for other women in the same boat to team with.

Replies

• Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 51 this is my second week I have over 100lb to lose
    It is hard you have to start thinking about food in a different way
    I have lost 9lb
    You have to take it one day at a time
    The biggest thing is if you mess up and say eat a big cake you forgive yourself and say oh dear and eat healthy the rest of the day and not say I have had the cake I may as well eat all I can and start again tomorrow.
    If you would like to add me as a friend you can
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 66 and have lost 21lbs in 12 weeks so far. I still have a long way to go! I just watch what I eat and drink. Mostly I eat a lot of chicken and turkey plus lots of fruit and veg. I would like to be your friend
  • jkmerrill
    Options
    Greetings everyone, I am 64 and a Health and Wellness nurse but I have not been eating so healthy or exercising. My husband lost his job so have not been able to afford healthy stuff. Also I Hav been able to pic up some work but not conducive for my exercise program. I bought some vegi's yesterday and have planned my meals for the week. Working out today!
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have lost 35 lbs so far with the help of myfitnesspal. I have around 70 more lbs to lose. you can do it.
  • KJ40RN
    KJ40RN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and looking to lose 65 lbs, looking for like minded members to share what works and what hasn't. I'm starting to train for 5k in September maybe someone would like to join my for the 5k?
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A lot of my clients are of 50+ women. I have one lady who is 5'6" and has lost over 40 lbs. This has been done in about 10 months. Weight watchers worked best for her food & sticking to an exercise routine. A lot of my ladies don't like having to make choices so it helps when it is all laid out in front of them!

I wish you the best of luck OP!
  • tenapsyche
    tenapsyche Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I have 55 pound to lose. I've been using my fitness pal for a week or so. I haven't really gotten any momentum yet, but I m beginning to understand what the patterns of my bad habits are and see how I can change them. I realize that I have been kidding myself. Honestly tracking my food, exercise and water is really helping. I am ready to go the next step so I can lose consistently.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DarleneGrace (What a lovely name!) I am 64 - only weeks away from 65 - with 70 pounds to lose. So far, in about 10 weeks, I have lost 23 pounds. And it's not easy. It requires, not only a concerted awareness of what you put in your mouth, but a determination to get up and MOVE. Until I got sick recently, I was up at 4:30 every morning to get on my treadmill and do four miles. GREAT way to start the day! No. Really! :p
    - Exercise is as much a vital component of weight loss as diet. And not jut because is allows you the luxury of a higher 'allowance' of calories in a day, but because it tones your body and tightens the muscles.
    - Carrying around a lot of extra weight means that we are also carrying around extra skin! And, unless you keep your weight loss SLOW and exercise to tighten the flab, you may lose that excess, unwanted weight but the "you" you see in the mirror will still look fat and you will be unhappy with the results.
    - Not used to doing exercise? That's okay. Just get out and walk around the block. Chart the distance with GPS, your car odometer, or, with a little math 'homework' you can even use a pedometer and extrapolate from the data there just how far the walk is around your block. And you're not running a race against anyone else. Take your own pace as it is comfortable for you. Gradually, you can increase distance and/or speed as you feel comfortable. (The added benefit is that you will be getting healthier in more ways that just losing weight, like improved heart health and lung health. You'll be able to think better and faster because your blood will be pumping more efficiently and so you will be getting more oxygen to your brain faster.) I had a neighbor years ago who, at the age of 87 would grab her walker every morning and afternoon and walk around the block of our street - a mile total each trip. Took her awhile to be sure but, until her sun took her to live with him in another state, she was up and out every morning and afternoon, rain or shine. Now, if SHE can do it, WE can do it! Yeh?
  • Cambriac
    Cambriac Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like, I'm 51 and also looking to lose that last 48 pounds to get to my goal.
  • rubyinman1
    Options
    This is my first day on here, and I am 45 years old I need to lose 55 lbs, I would love to do this journey with you as my friend..
  • houseonhavelock
    Options
    I'm 56 with at least 50 to lose. its good to have other people in the same age and weight range ... i do exercise with a friend, my hardest thing is reaching my target calories each day.
  • laurieg933
    Options
    I am 60 with 70 pounds to loose. Just started last week, but am very encouraged with myfitnesspal & fitbit. I would love to be a part of this group to help me stay motivated and maybe I can help someone as well.
  • darlenegrace999
    darlenegrace999 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tenapsyche wrote: »
    I'm 60 and I have 55 pound to lose. I've been using my fitness pal for a week or so. I haven't really gotten any momentum yet, but I m beginning to understand what the patterns of my bad habits are and see how I can change them. I realize that I have been kidding myself. Honestly tracking my food, exercise and water is really helping. I am ready to go the next step so I can lose consistently.
    tenapsyche wrote: »

• vlwilliams1
    vlwilliams1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    60 years young and looking for a group of my own age. I welcome encouragement both ways.
  • Arkennstone
    Options
    I'm 46 with 42 lbs to lose- am only on my second day so still experimenting with the website but feel very positive. Wishing you all good luck
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am 51. Have been at this (this go round) for two weeks and have lost ten pounds. I have about 65 to go and need all the support I can get!
  • carolynf64
    carolynf64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    DarleneGrace (What a lovely name!) I am 64 - only weeks away from 65 - with 70 pounds to lose. So far, in about 10 weeks, I have lost 23 pounds. And it's not easy. It requires, not only a concerted awareness of what you put in your mouth, but a determination to get up and MOVE. Until I got sick recently, I was up at 4:30 every morning to get on my treadmill and do four miles. GREAT way to start the day! No. Really! :p
    - Exercise is as much a vital component of weight loss as diet. And not jut because is allows you the luxury of a higher 'allowance' of calories in a day, but because it tones your body and tightens the muscles.
    - Carrying around a lot of extra weight means that we are also carrying around extra skin! And, unless you keep your weight loss SLOW and exercise to tighten the flab, you may lose that excess, unwanted weight but the "you" you see in the mirror will still look fat and you will be unhappy with the results.
    - Not used to doing exercise? That's okay. Just get out and walk around the block. Chart the distance with GPS, your car odometer, or, with a little math 'homework' you can even use a pedometer and extrapolate from the data there just how far the walk is around your block. And you're not running a race against anyone else. Take your own pace as it is comfortable for you. Gradually, you can increase distance and/or speed as you feel comfortable. (The added benefit is that you will be getting healthier in more ways that just losing weight, like improved heart health and lung health. You'll be able to think better and faster because your blood will be pumping more efficiently and so you will be getting more oxygen to your brain faster.) I had a neighbor years ago who, at the age of 87 would grab her walker every morning and afternoon and walk around the block of our street - a mile total each trip. Took her awhile to be sure but, until her sun took her to live with him in another state, she was up and out every morning and afternoon, rain or shine. Now, if SHE can do it, WE can do it! Yeh?

• vhubka68
    Options
    I would like to join your group. I am 64 and have 50 plus to lose. This is my first week and I lost 4 lbs so far. I get discouraged easily if I don't see results in weight loss, plus I love carbs and sweets.
  • COcgrayson
    COcgrayson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just turned 70 and want to lose 70 lbs. However, I am grateful for any lbs. that come off. I was inactive for about 4 years using a walker and a cane to get around until I had my knees replaced. I am much more active now and so thankful for the new knees. Now it's time to really get busy losing the weight. I am finding Dr. Oz Total 10 to be very sensible and my body seems to be agreeable. (I was terribly ill with the Metabolic Research program in addition to dropping over $1,000 on their tests, injections and bags full of products). I am also prediabetic so the no sugar on his plan also works well for me. Sounds like I am trying to sell his plan! I am not. Just telling you what is working for ME. I hope you all have great success! btw: I live in Colorado. :)
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 53 currently but started this process when I had just turned 50. I have lost the first 49 and now am back on track to lose the last 50 to 60. I'm not sure how much I'll aim for in the end as I have never had the muscle I have now. I am more fit than I have ever been. :-)