Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "older?" I'm 32... :smile:
    Either way, I need to lose 100 pounds.
    Add me if you'd like.
  • carolynf64
    carolynf64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi DarleneGrace! I am 64 also and I am trying to lose 75 lbs. I have been up and down in my weight for a long time. I think we can support each other through this. I try to walk at least 30 minutes 6 days a week and get in a habit of doing other exercises to help strengthen my legs and arms. I get encouragement from my brother in this but sometimes find it easier to say I did my strength exercises each day! While here at my brother's house it is easier to stay on a healthful diet. Their foods are mostly healthful and they eat less at each meal.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    people who are in their 40's and are calling themselves "older" make me uncomfortable. i'm 40 and young!
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 been on here 2 months and lost 17# so far. Need to lose at least 60 more. Feel free to add me as a friend, any of you.
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    - Exercise is as much a vital component of weight loss as diet. And not jut because is allows you the luxury of a higher 'allowance' of calories in a day, but because it tones your body and tightens the muscles.

Amen, sister. my diet will help me lose weight. Exercise will build a body that keeps it off. Also, the exercise is the best mood lifter -- I feel better both physically and mentally.
  • Jones64
    Jones64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, turn 51 in April, and have 95 pounds to lose. Having someone to exercise with is vital for me. My son made to commitment to go play tennis with me before we go to work each day. We started on Saturday. I love the way I feel after exercising. I'm using the pacer app on my phone to track my steps and this app for my food. I lost 90 pounds when I was in my thirties but failed to keep it off. Because of my metabolism, a diet low in carbs works best for me. The problem is I don't like cooked veggies, I never have, so I have to find ways to get the veggies in without all the carbs. I know because of my age, it will be harder to lose the weight, but I also know it can be done. Just keep going
  • Lose25now
    Lose25now Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, this sounds like a nice group to join. I am 53 and would like to lose 53 more pounds to be healthy. I started last week and lost 4.5 so far just by not eating take out and keeping real portions. I am doing Weight Watchers (not selling this) but did it years ago, lost weight, kept it off for years and then life fell apart. So it sounds like we would all like to do this the healthy way. Count me in for a healthier 2015.
  • budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just turned 54 and would like to lose 60-70 lbs. I'm constantly coming up with new low-calorie meals that taste great! I'm not a big veggie person, so I'm pretty good at disguising them. Add me if you like, more friends=more support!
  • marge1946
    marge1946 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In a year and a half I will be 70 and want to lose a bit over 100 lbs, bithday present to myself. would love to be part of this group
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's not too hard.
    Figure out how many calories you've been eating.
    Eat less then that.
    Add some exercise.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also. I am 52 and have lost about 53 lbs and am now maintaining. I still log everything everyday and it will be 3 yrs in April.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    It's not too hard.
    Eat less then that.
    Add some exercise.

When you are just starting out and have never dieted before, it is actually not as simple as many people make it sound.

There is a whole lot of learning to do and it is easy to get discouraged when we try things and it doesn't work.

I started in December 2014 Darlene and it took me a little while to figure out what seems to be working for me; the simple low cal + exercise didn't work for me but it may for you and you won't know until you try different things.
  • Gaillb170
    Options
    I'll be anyone's friend. I'm 54, married, 3 grown sons, 2 grandsons. I'm 5'8" 254lbs. I want to be 170.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    It's not too hard.
    Eat less then that.
    Add some exercise.

When you are just starting out and have never dieted before, it is actually not as simple as many people make it sound.

There is a whole lot of learning to do and it is easy to get discouraged when we try things and it doesn't work.

I started in December 2014 Darlene and it took me a little while to figure out what seems to be working for me; the simple low cal + exercise didn't work for me but it may for you and you won't know until you try different things.

I didn't find it all that hard. It was hard prior to finding myfitnesspal and logging my food. Once I started logging and changed my food around a little bit to be healthier, it was easy.
  • Deenie2341
    Options
    I think I'm the oldest (73). Quit smoking and packed on 40-50 lbs over a couple yrs. Love to cook, but have to change my ways. It gets harder with age. I developed gouty arthritis which is quite painful, so I also have to watch my diet there. Very little to none on meat & fish. I go to a nutrition class and I find the class & myfitness pal are good for me, making me accountable for what I was and now do eating. In the 3 weeks I have been on, I've lost 7 lbs. It's encouraging to watch the lbs start to come off. And is so much better for our health. I need all the encouragement I can get and will also give back. I will be a friend. :smile:
  • naparker333
    naparker333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello...

I'll be 51 in about exactly 2 weeks and started this again on December 3rd. This will be the 3rd time I will have lost 50+ lbs. The first time, it was just under 100. The second, right about 50, and this time, my goal is to lose about 60-ish. As of right now, I'm 15 lbs down from where I started. I am determined that this time, I WILL keep the weight off for good!

Am here for anyone who needs encouragement, mutual accountability, just someone to "chat" with, when it's not so easy.

Good luck to everyone on your journey!
  • dmcxz
    dmcxz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 71 and I want to lose 50 pounds. My doctor would like for me to lose more but I would be overjoyed with 50. To be honest I would be happy with 1 pound. Looking for a diet fitness buddy to help me stay motivated. I will do the same for you.
    My name is Deane. Mother of two. Grandmother of 5. Live in Virginia Beach.
  • lindab0718
    lindab0718 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 66 and would like to lose about 50 pounds. I just started MFP and find it a good tool. I have also started a basic exercise plan, going slow on that because I am recovering from achilles surgery.
  • Keonee88
    Keonee88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 61 and need to loose more than 50 lbs. I joined MFP last Fall but didn't commit and so I haven't lost any weight. New Year, New resolutions, (or should I say same old resolution). This time I need to commit to a healthier way of life. I live in Ontario Canada and I am looking for someone to help keep me on track while I do the same for them.
  • Nikkiekoala
    Nikkiekoala Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and have lost 57 pounds in the past year and half. I have another 45 to lose. I was diagnosed with diabetes a year and half ago. That was my wake up call! I cut the carbs and sugar and upped protein and exerciese 6 days a week. I feel so much better and look better. The weight loss has slowed down quite a bit but I am okay with that. BTW I am off all diabetes meds and cholesterol meds now! It can be done despite being over 50.