looking for older ladies losing 50 lbs

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've popped in to welcome you all and wish you good luck

It's a major adjustment but it gets easier if you focus on your calorie defecit ...and exercise to get fit. Just throwaway everything you think you know about dieting, every trick, fad, gimmick and simply weigh and log your food ...it works!

I started this on 1 June ...when I started I was 47 and 212lbs ...I've dropped 44lbs and 20 years in the last 229 days :smile:

You got this!
  • kmidak
    kmidak Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm 51young and trying to lose about 25 pounds. Hate exercising but gotta try I guess.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Also check out this thread, "55-65 year old women's success?" There's lots of us oldies here losing weight and successful. I've lost 40lbs over one year; went from 179 to currently 139 as of today (size 14/16 to 6/8 Petites. It wasn't fast but MFP works if you follow your plan. Good luck! If you want more friends just send me a friend request. I'm just now getting more active on the forum after lurking for a year, reading everything and learning so much.
  • MrsPediford3
    MrsPediford3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not 50 yet (40 something), but my goal is also to lose 50 lbs. I am giving myself a year to do so because I know slow and steady wins the race. I'm not in it just to lose weight, but more so to live a healthier life style. I think MFP will help me do that. I'm not too sure how "groups" work on here but please feel free to add me. The more the merrier right?! Good luck to everyone!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 (refusing to think of myself as an older lady yet!). I've lost over 50lb and kept it off (with a struggle!) for a couple of years. I don't keep an open diary but I'm always happy to answer any questions. I'll send you a friend request.
  • judydixon98
    judydixon98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in March and I have over 100 lbs. to lose.
  • poofiekaleta
    poofiekaleta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 36 and I need to lose over 100 lbs. I've been at it for several years and had several setbacks, but I keep at it. It can be a long road, but there is plenty of support along the way!
  • frankieolds
    frankieolds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks and want to lose about 70 lbs. this year. I just started Couch to 5K on Sunday and it is definitely helping pull off some weight. Would love to be part of this group. :)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello all. You are welcome to a great group on here. Under "Motivation & Support" look for the Women 50+ & over listing. Age doesn't matter,there are women in their 30s,& up.....way up :D
    If you have questions,need support,have had success,need help,just getting started..this is the place to be.Come on over & say hello. Pat
  • gJennings254
    Options
    I'm 52, I have about 20 pounds to lose, but would still like to be included in this journey. Thinking about what I put into my mouth is what I need to do and keep up with the exercises I've been doing. Hopefully this program will help with that! Good luck to everyone!
  • rosib1962
    rosib1962 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Count me in please...same boat ,52 years on the clock,50 lbs to loose but want to enjoy the journey
  • grandlove63
    grandlove63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey you got a friend in me. Just started 2 weeks ago, and beginning to feel pretty good. I've only lost 2 lbs, but I'm taking it slowly. Let's get on board together. I'm not a cooker, but I'v found a few pretty good quick meals. Shady brooks turkey patties and sauteed spinach makes for a great dinner. Then there's perdue already cooked cutlets with a huge salad, perfect for lunch or dinner. Keep in touch.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I am 52. I dont have any more weight I want to lose, but just wanted to send a note of encouragment to you all! You all can do it!!
  • rosib1962
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Hello all. You are welcome to a great group on here. Under "Motivation & Support" look for the Women 50+ & over listing. Age doesn't matter,there are women in their 30s,& up.....way up :D
    If you have questions,need support,have had success,need help,just getting started..this is the place to be.Come on over & say hello. Pat

Need all the support I can get ,a little bit of accountability ,lots of humour and real life models.Count me in as a friend please?
  • rosib1962
    Options
    hey you got a friend in me. Just started 2 weeks ago, and beginning to feel pretty good. I've only lost 2 lbs, but I'm taking it slowly. Let's get on board together. I'm not a cooker, but I'v found a few pretty good quick meals. Shady brooks turkey patties and sauteed spinach makes for a great dinner. Then there's perdue already cooked cutlets with a huge salad, perfect for lunch or dinner. Keep in touch.

Started two weeks ago myself ,still enamoured by the whole thing ,lost 5lbs so far ,but hope to loose 50....slow is good ,perseverance is better,maintaining is harder still...always my banana skin.Need lots of support.Count me in as a friend pls?
  • Vikkim2015
    Vikkim2015 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi All, I am 51 and have around 50kg (110lbs) to lose. I have be logging food and exercise for about 2 wks. My health has been going downhill for sometime now (a few yrs) with Lupus causing joint issues in hips and knees. I had to change jobs as i could not stand up for long anymore. Last year i developed diabetes with blood sugar reading over 8 and was put on medication. I was not aware but i actually started losing weight (it was really hot) but it wasn't until i weighed myself on the 2nd Jan that i found out i had lost 4kg since beg of Nov - i use the Wii plus to weigh in and it records it all for me.
    I was not a happy camper over Xmas and felt very detached from everything. I asked to universe to find me something that would inspire me to get healthy both in body and mind. Within a day i realised (for personal reasons) that i really want to take a trip to England but with my health and weight it would not be very enjoyable. So my son who loves to fly is more than willing to accompany me on this trip, so it is my goal to lose enough weigh and improve my health. This worked as i am so motivated to make this work. I talked to my daughter and although she is at a healthy weight felt she needed to get fit and offered to walk with me every night. We have only taken 1 night off since the 2nd Jan, most nights we do at least 2kms often 2.5+. I didn't know how i was going to do this but i have found that around the 2km mark things stop hurting as much and i can enjoy the walk (tonight we did 3.14kms in 38mins). Plus we get some mum and daughter time. I also do swimming a few times a week with my son.
    I have found my eating has improved so much, i use the my fitness pal app to log all i eat and to plan what to eat that fits my day. I have heaps of snacks and just by reorganising what i eat it works. I like choc milk but now instead of sugary Milo i use organic dark choc shaved into milk, or i use stir-fry veg's instead of toast with poached eggs.
    I have lost 7.1kg (15lbs) so far and i know i can do this.
    I have been obese for so many years it became a habit, now is the time to start new habits of good health and loving my body.

Not sure where you are all from, I am in Australia.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was on this site about 4 years ago and lost about 50 pounds and kept it off for over two years. After some difficult times (divorce and loss of my mother) I've gained back all but ten. Would love for anyone in this chain to add me as a friend. I'm rededicating myself to doing it right. Would love to help you be accountable and have others help me be accountable. I to have reached the half century mark!
  • Jones64
    Jones64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With the arthritis you might want to read Jillian Micheals book on metabolism. She can send you on the path to chosibg foods that will help with the arthritis. Food can be one of the best medicines we have.
    Deenie2341 wrote: »
    I think I'm the oldest (73). Quit smoking and packed on 40-50 lbs over a couple yrs. Love to cook, but have to change my ways. It gets harder with age. I developed gouty arthritis which is quite painful, so I also have to watch my diet there. Very little to none on meat & fish. I go to a nutrition class and I find the class & myfitness pal are good for me, making me accountable for what I was and now do eating. In the 3 weeks I have been on, I've lost 7 lbs. It's encouraging to watch the lbs start to come off. And is so much better for our health. I need all the encouragement I can get and will also give back. I will be a friend. :smile:

• Jones64
    Jones64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think most of us on the forum are from the U.S. At least that would be my guess because of the way we talk. Good to know we have friends from all over to help encourage us.
    Vikkim2015 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am 51 and have around 50kg (110lbs) to lose. I have be logging food and exercise for about 2 wks. My health has been going downhill for sometime now (a few yrs) with Lupus causing joint issues in hips and knees. I had to change jobs as i could not stand up for long anymore. Last year i developed diabetes with blood sugar reading over 8 and was put on medication. I was not aware but i actually started losing weight (it was really hot) but it wasn't until i weighed myself on the 2nd Jan that i found out i had lost 4kg since beg of Nov - i use the Wii plus to weigh in and it records it all for me.
    I was not a happy camper over Xmas and felt very detached from everything. I asked to universe to find me something that would inspire me to get healthy both in body and mind. Within a day i realised (for personal reasons) that i really want to take a trip to England but with my health and weight it would not be very enjoyable. So my son who loves to fly is more than willing to accompany me on this trip, so it is my goal to lose enough weigh and improve my health. This worked as i am so motivated to make this work. I talked to my daughter and although she is at a healthy weight felt she needed to get fit and offered to walk with me every night. We have only taken 1 night off since the 2nd Jan, most nights we do at least 2kms often 2.5+. I didn't know how i was going to do this but i have found that around the 2km mark things stop hurting as much and i can enjoy the walk (tonight we did 3.14kms in 38mins). Plus we get some mum and daughter time. I also do swimming a few times a week with my son.
    I have found my eating has improved so much, i use the my fitness pal app to log all i eat and to plan what to eat that fits my day. I have heaps of snacks and just by reorganising what i eat it works. I like choc milk but now instead of sugary Milo i use organic dark choc shaved into milk, or i use stir-fry veg's instead of toast with poached eggs.
    I have lost 7.1kg (15lbs) so far and i know i can do this.
    I have been obese for so many years it became a habit, now is the time to start new habits of good health and loving my body.

Not sure where you are all from, I am in Australia.

• darlenegrace999
    darlenegrace999 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you for responding to my post I've been dieting now for 15 days and have lost 7 pounds.at the beginning I figured if I just stayed at 1200 calories I would lose weight and not work for about 2 weeks, then everything came to a halt so now I've tried exercising and I'm losing weight again. I live out in the country so I don't have neighbors or anybody to really try to do this with and everybody in my family could use to lose a few pounds but they're just not interested lol.
    I was on this site about 4 years ago and lost about 50 pounds and kept it off for over two years. After some difficult times (divorce and loss of my mother) I've gained back all but ten. Would love for anyone in this chain to add me as a friend. I'm rededicating myself to doing it right. Would love to help you be accountable and have others help me be accountable. I to have reached the half century mark!