Do you believe in the paranormal?

Options

Replies

• sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I have also seen some weird stuff at my place.
  • tibo1783
    tibo1783 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    there has to be some sort of presence but i dunno
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I believe anything is possible
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Ghosts, maybe, I'd like to think there are... Aliens, definitely, we can't be the only advanced species in a whole universe, I don't think they are visiting and putting probes up our butts though...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in the paranormal, but as an athiest I dont believe in a lot of stuff. I mostly keep my mouth zipped when these topics come up in conversation.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im not even a good athiest. I could totally be wrong about it, and am willing to look over evidence to the contrary of my "unbelief".
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    Options
    Yaow, well i
    MYDejaVue wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw a ghost when I was seventeen. Have you seen anything?

Also- if someone could direct me to where I can get my username changed, that would be super!
    Happy fitday!
    emdeesea wrote: »
    No - I don't.

But I also won't say Bloody Mary three times in the mirror, either.

I'm a conundrum ;)

That's indoctrination. You probably heard that story when you were really young and impressionable.

That's how the church gets them too.

After my Mother passed away, she came around almost daily. I could smell her brand of cigarette smoke, even though she had quitter 25 years ago. Once got her in a picture we took after cleaning some antiques she had collected.
    Other ghosts here as well. We have had a residential ghost here since moving in A child's ghost. Plays with lights, makes music on a baby toy keyboard. One time some keys disappeared. They were for a cabinet our Father used, off limits to my brothers and I. The whole family looked all over for them with no luck. A year or so later we moved to another state. Took some belongings, others went into storage while the house was rented out. A few more years passed after we returned to the house. One day there they were, just sitting on the corner of the table. No one had put them there. They just WERE. Yes. I have had close contact. Want more? Contact me.
    Well if this is "evidence" put me down as unimpressed.

I've never wanted to gently poke someone in the eye so much in my life, as much as I do right now : :joy:
    Yes I know, I am such a jerk because I ask for rigorous evidence commensurate to the claim.

If one doesn't rule out perfectly natural explanations first, then one is not only jumping to conclusions, but indulging in wishful thinking. Furthermore, I've already laid out the epistemology difficulty in appealing to supernatural claims -- which was ignored.

No you're not a Jerk! I apologize :disappointed: I lost my cool and really didn't want to type that I wanted to gently poke you in the eye! :joy:
    I believe that one is entitled to an opinion! but if you ever do have any strange encounters in the future.... please feel free to explain it! lol as I used to be the same as you, always finding a logical answer for anything, until of course something happened no one could explain ;):heart:

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    maeld51 wrote: »
    Man, I feel stupid :'(
    What's your damage, Heather? Why do you feel stupid?

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

That's indoctrination. You probably heard that story when you were really young and impressionable.

Perhaps, but I heard lots of stories when I was young and impressionable and that's the only one that stuck. I'm not saying it's real, I'm saying it's something I'm irrationally afraid of for some reason.

And I don't believe in God, either.
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No. This isn't a story. First hand experience. In many different places, so I know sensing ghosts have nothing to do with the place. Learned they can be friendly as well. They have a bad reputation from Hollywood.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    What we see and hear can be deceiving sometimes. I'm more than sure that everyone has dreamed and had it seem completely real (even in pain and senses). And yes while others will argue that they were conscious at the time of the episode, that doesn't negate that what someone saw, heard, felt etc. could have been imaginary or distorted.
    People see "images" on toast or in the clouds of what they want to see or believe. Doesn't necessarily mean it was "spiritual" or "paranormal".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    I've seen things that would make your *kitten*, *kitten* its pants! The craziest was when I was in the Navy a coworker and I were working in a part of the *kitten* that had only one way in and out. It was a large refrigerated area that you accessed by climbing a ladder well straight down 4 levels and had a very large door that was locked to prevent pilfering. Quick back story, old Navy ships would use the refers as temporary morgues.
    So while we were down there working on the lights we heard a noise further in the back, we both shined or lights and saw what we both thought was a Chief standing there, he made a motion that made us think he wanted us out, so we left. When we got to the open space outside of the refer area the sailor that let us in informed us that no one had gone in since we went in and that since the hatch was locked no one could have been in there. He and I went back in to look just to be sure and there was no one in there anywhere. We were later informed by on of the cooks that he had seen the same man in Khakis too.
    So yes I believe.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    That's the definition of the word BELIEVE. To believe is not expecting scientific proof. And I'm not talking about Hollywood or Halloween concepts of ghosts. I mean the real ones.
    You either belive in ghosts or not. If you don't believe, no one can convince you. If you do believe, you can't be convinced they don't exist.
    I care if my beliefs comport to reality. Really though, you've not offered a methodology to verify that what you believe is even at all likely. Saying "you believe" does not make it necessarily a fact.
    Options
    Yaow, well i
    MYDejaVue wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw a ghost when I was seventeen. Have you seen anything?

Also- if someone could direct me to where I can get my username changed, that would be super!
    Happy fitday!
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

After my Mother passed away, she came around almost daily. I could smell her brand of cigarette smoke, even though she had quitter 25 years ago. Once got her in a picture we took after cleaning some antiques she had collected.
    Other ghosts here as well. We have had a residential ghost here since moving in A child's ghost. Plays with lights, makes music on a baby toy keyboard. One time some keys disappeared. They were for a cabinet our Father used, off limits to my brothers and I. The whole family looked all over for them with no luck. A year or so later we moved to another state. Took some belongings, others went into storage while the house was rented out. A few more years passed after we returned to the house. One day there they were, just sitting on the corner of the table. No one had put them there. They just WERE. Yes. I have had close contact. Want more? Contact me.
    Well if this is "evidence" put me down as unimpressed.

I've never wanted to gently poke someone in the eye so much in my life, as much as I do right now : :joy:
    Yes I know, I am such a jerk because I ask for rigorous evidence commensurate to the claim.

If one doesn't rule out perfectly natural explanations first, then one is not only jumping to conclusions, but indulging in wishful thinking. Furthermore, I've already laid out the epistemology difficulty in appealing to supernatural claims -- which was ignored.

No you're not a Jerk! I apologize :disappointed: I lost my cool and really didn't want to type that I wanted to gently poke you in the eye! :joy:
    I believe that one is entitled to an opinion! but if you ever do have any strange encounters in the future.... please feel free to explain it! lol as I used to be the same as you, always finding a logical answer for anything, until of course something happened no one could explain ;):heart:

Gotcha. No problem.

However, just because something unexplained happens, concluding that it must be "supernatural" is not very helpful and has no real value in the way of understanding the event. It is a cop-out.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No. This isn't a story. First hand experience. In many different places, so I know sensing ghosts have nothing to do with the place. Learned they can be friendly as well. They have a bad reputation from Hollywood.
    Then you may actually have something there and I'd love to have you test this. Perhaps James Randi's foundation can help you determine if indeed you are experiencing this and have a true, bona fide, psychic ability .
    "The James Randi Educational Foundation will pay US$1,000,000 (One Million US Dollars) ("The Prize") to any person who demonstrates any psychic, supernatural, or paranormal ability under satisfactory observation. Such demonstration must take place under the rules and limitations described in this document. An applicant can be from or in any part of the world. Gender, race, and educational background are not factors for acceptance. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and legally able to enter into binding agreements."

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html

Good luck and keep us informed!
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What we see and hear can be deceiving sometimes. I'm more than sure that everyone has dreamed and had it seem completely real (even in pain and senses). And yes while others will argue that they were conscious at the time of the episode, that doesn't negate that what someone saw, heard, felt etc. could have been imaginary or distorted.
    People see "images" on toast or in the clouds of what they want to see or believe. Doesn't necessarily mean it was "spiritual" or "paranormal".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Correct.

There are two main types of pareidolia. Visual. Audio.

"Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. For example, in the discolorations of a burnt tortilla one sees the face of Jesus. Or one sees the image of Mother Teresa or Ronald Reagan in a cinnamon bun or a man in the moon.

Under ordinary circumstances, pareidolia provides a psychological explanation for many delusions based upon sense perception. For example, it explains many UFO sightings, as well as the hearing of sinister messages on records played backwards. Pareidolia explains Elvis, Bigfoot, and Loch Ness Monster sightings. It explains numerous religious apparitions and visions. And it explains why some people see a face or a building in a photograph of the Cydonia region of Mars."

http://www.skepdic.com/pareidol.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Correct.

"Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. For example, in the discolorations of a burnt tortilla one sees the face of Jesus. Or one sees the image of Mother Teresa or Ronald Reagan in a cinnamon bun or a man in the moon.

Under ordinary circumstances, pareidolia provides a psychological explanation for many delusions based upon sense perception. For example, it explains many UFO sightings, as well as the hearing of sinister messages on records played backwards. Pareidolia explains Elvis, Bigfoot, and Loch Ness Monster sightings. It explains numerous religious apparitions and visions. And it explains why some people see a face or a building in a photograph of the Cydonia region of Mars."

I now know the correct terminology for this. Thanks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Correct.

I now know the correct terminology for this. Thanks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're welcome. I wrote a blog on skepticism for 6 years. lol
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sightings aren't always visual. But they happen too many times, too many places and circumstances just to be a brainwashing of some sort. My initial sense Mom was here was smell. I could smell the same brand cigarette smoke she used. No one smokes here I smell it nonetheless. For only 1-2 breaths. This smell never absorbs into fabrics. It's ghost smoke. Always preceded Mom's visit.
    I'm not interested in proving things to you what I KNOW happened to me. You have obviously already made up your mind already.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I wrote a blog on skepticism for 6 years. lol

Your skin must be crawling right now.