Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Along the same lines, I am an empath.

Tell me, doctor, will I live??
  • ChanaRo
    ChanaRo Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, I do believe in things science can't yet "prove." The emphasis is on the word YET. Just because we haven't yet perfected the technology doesn't mean we won't.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Nope.
  • emdeesea
    No - I don't.

But I also won't say Bloody Mary three times in the mirror, either.

I'm a conundrum ;)

That's indoctrination. You probably heard that story when you were really young and impressionable.

That's how the church gets them too.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

That's indoctrination. You probably heard that story when you were really young and impressionable.

And atheism.
    And politics.
    And forum TOS.
    And social norms.
    And everything which doesn't come from original thought.
    And value meal upgrades.

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Sure do.
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

That's indoctrination.

And if you really think about it...we're all "indoctrinated" in some way or other.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    ChanaRo wrote: »
    Yes, I do believe in things science can't yet "prove." The emphasis is on the word YET. Just because we haven't yet perfected the technology doesn't mean we won't.
    I see where you are going with this, but if something resists or is incapable of falsification, then science will never be able to show if it likely exists. Proof is a matter for mathematics anyway.

Also, science is predicated upon scientific naturalism and something that is not predicated upon the same criteria has no chance of ever being shown the likely-hood of its existence. This is an epistemology schism that can not be resolved by appealing to ignorance.

Its all, or nothing.
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Man, I feel stupid :'(
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    I don't believe in ghosts. But there are some things considered paranormal besides ghosts that I do believe in...due to my own experiences. That's all the detail I'll go into on that. :)
    edited January 2015
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

And atheism.
    And politics.
    And forum TOS.
    And social norms.
    And value meal upgrades.

Atheism is a negation. Therefore, negative statements generally require no proof, i.e. evidence. Sorry, but retreating to a false equivalence does not offer you the cover you seek for beliefs that demand evidence complementary and as rigorous to the claim being made.

Ghosts demand high quality evidence and none of that exists.
  • Ewok31
    Ewok31 Posts: 45 Member
    I believe in bigfoot nothing better then going out in the woods looking for a big monkey
  • emdeesea
    edited January 2015

And atheism...

That's so cute. :)

• Yes. I have lived in three houses that had ghosts, including the one where I grew up for much of my life. (Dad was in the Army so we moved around but that was the one we owned.) It helps if you are sensitive to it. I bought that house from my parents and my son as a very young child could see them also. Needless to say, I had to stay with him until he fell asleep and knock on the bathroom door non-stop while he was in there so he knew I was a door away. Obviously, I never told him of my experiences, since he was very young but I also never told him he was imagining things, as many parents in denial say when kids try to tell them. The younger a child the most likely they can still see. I stopped being afraid when my (dead) grandmother showed up once when I was very frightened. In another, our dog could see the same things as me and he would react to them. After one of my cats was killed by a pit bull that came into our yard, I could feel him jumping on my bed, same as before and see the foot impressions as he walked to his usual position. It stopped when I got my current cat in 1999. People can believe what they want, but I know that there is a "curtain" between alternate world that is sometimes thin. Quantum physics recognized the probability of that being possible. That's as scientific as it gets. Many people are in denial and are afraid to admit it because they are either afraid to be seen as crazy or because they are too afraid of the unknown. I've never been harmed nor do I know of anyone who has. (Not that I'm saying there are not other things out there that can present a danger.)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Along the same lines, I am an empath.

Me too. But I've seen some pretty crazy (in terms of the realm of traditional normality) things and have been walking my path for way too many years.
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm pretty sure I saw a ghost when I was seventeen. Have you seen anything?

Also- if someone could direct me to where I can get my username changed, that would be super!
    Happy fitday!
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

After my Mother passed away, she came around almost daily. I could smell her brand of cigarette smoke, even though she had quitter 25 years ago. Once got her in a picture we took after cleaning some antiques she had collected.
    Other ghosts here as well. We have had a residential ghost here since moving in A child's ghost. Plays with lights, makes music on a baby toy keyboard. One time some keys disappeared. They were for a cabinet our Father used, off limits to my brothers and I. The whole family looked all over for them with no luck. A year or so later we moved to another state. Took some belongings, others went into storage while the house was rented out. A few more years passed after we returned to the house. One day there they were, just sitting on the corner of the table. No one had put them there. They just WERE. Yes. I have had close contact. Want more? Contact me.
  • dln1975
    dln1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Yes, I do believe in the paranormal. I have personally witnessed too many things to not believe ever since I was a kid. I have tried many times to tell myself it was all in my head, but as I've become older I've just "let go," accepted it and it no longer bothers me. Honestly, though, they're not happening as often the older I've become. Kinda odd, but I know people do say children are more susceptible to the paranormal. The most intense experience I ever had was at the Bird Cage Theater in Tombstone, Arizona. I still shiver thinking about that place!!
    edited January 2015
    Yaow, well i
    MYDejaVue wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw a ghost when I was seventeen. Have you seen anything?

Also- if someone could direct me to where I can get my username changed, that would be super!
    Happy fitday!
    No - I don't.

I'm a conundrum ;)

After my Mother passed away, she came around almost daily. I could smell her brand of cigarette smoke, even though she had quitter 25 years ago. Once got her in a picture we took after cleaning some antiques she had collected.
    Other ghosts here as well. We have had a residential ghost here since moving in A child's ghost. Plays with lights, makes music on a baby toy keyboard. One time some keys disappeared. They were for a cabinet our Father used, off limits to my brothers and I. The whole family looked all over for them with no luck. A year or so later we moved to another state. Took some belongings, others went into storage while the house was rented out. A few more years passed after we returned to the house. One day there they were, just sitting on the corner of the table. No one had put them there. They just WERE. Yes. I have had close contact. Want more? Contact me.
    Well if this is "evidence" put me down as unimpressed.
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    Definitely believe in them!
  • Yes. I have lived in three houses that had ghosts, including the one where I grew up for much of my life. (Dad was in the Army so we moved around but that was the one we owned.) It helps if you are sensitive to it. I bought that house from my parents and my son as a very young child could see them also. Needless to say, I had to stay with him until he fell asleep and knock on the bathroom door non-stop while he was in there so he knew I was a door away. Obviously, I never told him of my experiences, since he was very young but I also never told him he was imagining things, as many parents in denial say when kids try to tell them. The younger a child the most likely they can still see. I stopped being afraid when my (dead) grandmother showed up once when I was very frightened. In another, our dog could see the same things as me and he would react to them. After one of my cats was killed by a pit bull that came into our yard, I could feel him jumping on my bed, same as before and see the foot impressions as he walked to his usual position. It stopped when I got my current cat in 1999. People can believe what they want, but I know that there is a "curtain" between alternate world that is sometimes thin. Quantum physics recognized the probability of that being possible. That's as scientific as it gets. Many people are in denial and are afraid to admit it because they are either afraid to be seen as crazy or because they are too afraid of the unknown. I've never been harmed nor do I know of anyone who has. (Not that I'm saying there are not other things out there that can present a danger.)
    Oh boy, once anyone on the internet begs "Quantum physics" stop reading, there is nothing more to be profited by it.
  • Definitely believe in them!
    People believe all sorts of things. I am more interested in what can be likely shown to be possible or not. Ghosts -- or other so-called astral projections (which are predicated upon physical bodies anyway) -- beg materialism. The upper hand is within the scientific method, not in the imaginations of believers.