If you could eat any animal.....

Options

Replies

• feast4dabeast
    feast4dabeast Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A lion, just to show all high and mighty "king of the jungle" whose boss!!! xD

yummy I had zebra once mmmm
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why is it that land herbivores taste great but land carnivores taste bad? The best seafood are the carnivores; tuna, trevally.
  • ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    The wildest I ever tried was kangaroo jerky, best jerky I’ve ever had. If I lived in Australia there wouldn’t be any kangaroos left. xD
  • rhea420
    rhea420 Posts: 68
    Options
    would eat a very cute and furry cat! Hoping that I'll turn into Catwoman.. haha!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I hear hippo tastes like a combination of vomit and piss. Just thought you should know. :ohwell:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to find out what woolly mammoth and woolly rhino taste like, but they're extinct.

the mammoth could be coming back, they found a new carcass of one that had blood frozen in it so its possible they might be able to clone them.

it will be on shelves quicksmart.

If they did, there'd be only one of whatever gender this frozen one is, and no-one would be allowed to eat it.

If you can clone it, you can clone it again. And again. The only limits are the market, demand and supply.

I reckon mammoth and rhino would just taste like horse. Grazers, all.

cloning it involves it growing in the womb of a female, they're quite a bit bigger than modern elephants, so not sure if an elephant would be able to give birth to a viable newborn mammoth. And where are you going to get all the milk to feed it with? An elephant can probably feed it, but it'll take a long time to grow to maturity. If it's female it can give birth to more clones, if it's male then you'll have to rely on elephants to make more clones. It's not at all cost effective, and would never work economically as a source of food. They take too long to grow.

For conservation purposes, you'd need to clone an entire herd or maybe several herds, to get enough diversity for a viable population that will thrive. And for conservation purposes they'd be classified as an endangered species and would be illegal to eat.

Elephant is more closely related to pig, so it would probably taste more like bacon. They have a high fat content, unlike zebra meat which is very lean. Not sure how closely rhinos are related to elephants but probably it would taste more like an elephant than a zebra, due to the high fat content. Some early humans ate hippos too, also very fatty, also probably tasted rather like bacon. *awaits MFP bacon gifs*
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I hear hippo tastes like a combination of vomit and piss. Just thought you should know. :ohwell:

your ancestors ate hippo: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Why is it that land herbivores taste great but land carnivores taste bad? The best seafood are the carnivores; tuna, trevally.

Partially true. In documentaries, when the cannibals are questioned they universally state that human meat is the sweetest of all. Thus, omnivores taste best.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

your ancestors ate hippo: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/

No. My ancestors ate your ancestors.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I eat camel.

pfff. camel, the only good eats are the toes.

a thank you.

naughty naughty

hahaha. yeh. lol.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

is your avatar a bear? cause neanderthals ate bears (although sometimes bears ate neanderthals, there was a power struggle going on there)
  • darrensurrey
    Options

is your avatar a bear? cause neanderthals ate bears (although sometimes bears ate neanderthals, there was a power struggle going on there)

Piratus Furrus Hippotatus.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to find out what woolly mammoth and woolly rhino taste like, but they're extinct.

the mammoth could be coming back, they found a new carcass of one that had blood frozen in it so its possible they might be able to clone them.

If they did, there'd be only one of whatever gender this frozen one is, and no-one would be allowed to eat it.

If you can clone it, you can clone it again. And again. The only limits are the market, demand and supply.

cloning it involves it growing in the womb of a female, they're quite a bit bigger than modern elephants, so not sure if an elephant would be able to give birth to a viable newborn mammoth. And where are you going to get all the milk to feed it with? An elephant can probably feed it, but it'll take a long time to grow to maturity. If it's female it can give birth to more clones, if it's male then you'll have to rely on elephants to make more clones. It's not at all cost effective, and would never work economically as a source of food. They take too long to grow.

For conservation purposes, you'd need to clone an entire herd or maybe several herds, to get enough diversity for a viable population that will thrive. And for conservation purposes they'd be classified as an endangered species and would be illegal to eat.

Elephant is more closely related to pig, so it would probably taste more like bacon. They have a high fat content, unlike zebra meat which is very lean. Not sure how closely rhinos are related to elephants but probably it would taste more like an elephant than a zebra, due to the high fat content. Some early humans ate hippos too, also very fatty, also probably tasted rather like bacon. *awaits MFP bacon gifs*

Elephants can't gestate mammoths = experiment fail duh
    Milk to feed baby mammoths unavailable = experiment fail duh

We assume the experiments are successful. The limiting factor is the available cells for cloning. Your "it is not cost effective" argument relies on predicted supply and demand, which I would submit as undeterminable.

Cloning mammoths for human consumption does not require a breeding population. It just needs money.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Elephants can't gestate mammoths = experiment fail duh
    Milk to feed baby mammoths unavailable = experiment fail duh

We assume the experiments are successful. The limiting factor is the available cells for cloning. Your "it is not cost effective" argument relies on predicted supply and demand, which I would submit as undeterminable.

Cloning mammoths for human consumption does not require a breeding population. It just needs money.

How do you clone the mammoth in the first place without growing them in the uterus of a closely related animal? Clones don't start off life as adults, they grow the same way as non-cloned animals do, i.e. from an embryo, in the case of mammals, in the uterus of a female. For the purpose of cloning extinct mammals, you have to grow them in the uterus of a closely related female. In the case of mammoths, that would be a female elephant. And it's not likely to be very successful either, i.e. most embryos may not grow, due to subtle differences in gestation and the uterine environment between the two species.

As for cost effective, clones grow at the same rate as non-clones grow when breeding them the normal way. The cells don't magically grow into adult animals in a petri dish. They have to grow to maturity the normal way animals grow to maturity, i.e. implanted in the uterus of a female, preferably of the same species, if not then of a female of a closely related species. You therefore cannot mass produce clones of mammoths without having lots of female elephants, and time is a limiting factor as it takes a long time for them to grow to maturity.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Homo sapiens ancestors ate piratus furrus Hoppotatus ancestors. :drinker:
  • darrensurrey
    Options

All lies. Your ancestors drowned because we stole your ships. :drinker:

I refuse to let you out-idiot me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Moose. It's even better than bison or thevery best beef. Haven't had moose in thirty years...(sigh).
  • neandermagnon
    Options

All lies. Your ancestors drowned because we stole your ships. :drinker:

Ships are irrelevant to the point as they weren't used until the mesolithic era. (although some people think that some Homo erectuses built ships but I call BS on that until someone can demonstrate how you can build a ship with the level of technology Homo erectus had, because if even a Homo sapiens can't build a ship with that level of technology Homo erectus certainly couldn't)

Humans ate hippos. Hippos did not eat humans. Quad erat demonstrandum and all that. :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I refuse to let you out-idiot me.

I'm really rather good at being an idiot, I mean I'm on this thread on a health and fitness forum arguing about the economic viability of cloned mammoth as a source of food for humans.

Personally I wouldn't trust mammoth as a source of food. The neanderthals did and they went extinct shortly after the mammoth went extinct. Tricky *kitten* those mammoths are....
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Beyonce