cutting sugar

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

Please explain how sugar was causing you pain.

I do not know how sugar was causing my pain.

I removed the sugar/actually most all carbs (<50g daily) and the pain level dropped. I added the sugar back into my diet and the pain started to return. I then again removed the sugar from my diet and the pain started to decrease.

With the sugar/carbs removed mental 'fog' lifted and energy level improved as ketone levels increased to 1-3 range. Years of sinus issues cleared up. IBS cleared. Sugar/carb cravings left. Sugar afternoon crashes left. Some weight loss but a lot of inches lost. Ability to work past my traditional meal times without loss of energy. While I do get hungry there is not a mental shutdown like when I was a carb burner vs. now being a fat burner.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Nat Geo had an interesting article on hibernation a year or two ago. Some animals go ridiculous amounts of time without eating! It's crazy!

Maybe they'll learn something from those animals. I don't think it'll help us much. People really need food. Even if we get fed all the nutrients we require, but it goes into our veins, it's just not enough. It'll sustain life, but not a healthy life. We need food - physical food that we eat and digest - and activity to be our healthiest.

But no knowledge is ever wasted, so if they can learn something from the animals, yay that. :)

Except humans don't hibernate.

Could you possibly turn that into a sentence? I don't understand your point.

That is a sentence. Simple fact. Human do not hibernate.

I removed the sugar/actually most all carbs (<50g daily) and the pain level dropped. I added the sugar back into my diet and the pain started to return. I then again removed the sugar from my diet and the pain started to decrease.

With the sugar/carbs removed mental 'fog' lifted and energy level improved as ketone levels increased to 1-3 range. Years of sinus issues cleared up. IBS cleared. Sugar/carb cravings left. Sugar afternoon crashes left. Some weight loss but a lot of inches lost. Ability to work past my traditional meal times without loss of energy. While I do get hungry there is not a mental shutdown like when I was a carb burner vs. now being a fat burner.

But you just said it was? If you do not know how, then why would you make that claim?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Nat Geo had an interesting article on hibernation a year or two ago. Some animals go ridiculous amounts of time without eating! It's crazy!

Maybe they'll learn something from those animals. I don't think it'll help us much. People really need food. Even if we get fed all the nutrients we require, but it goes into our veins, it's just not enough. It'll sustain life, but not a healthy life. We need food - physical food that we eat and digest - and activity to be our healthiest.

But no knowledge is ever wasted, so if they can learn something from the animals, yay that. :)

Except humans don't hibernate.

Could you possibly turn that into a sentence? I don't understand your point.

That is a sentence. Simple fact. Human do not hibernate.
    Humans don't hibernate. Agreed.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »

Today's word is 'psychosomatic'. Say it with me: Psychosomatic.

Alakazam
  • tennisdude2004
    psulemon wrote: »
    Come on guys, lets try not to turn this into a war like usual.

We need more data from the OP to understand the context of her question.

Well, fair enough, but you might want to ask who the agent provocateurs are here.

Well, on a thread where someone is asking for help and suggestions on cutting back on sugar - a decision they have obviously made, maybe the 'agent provocateurs' are the ones hijacking the thread and turning it into a - you don't need to cut out sugar - argument.

How about for once trying to keep a sugar thread on track!

How about for once not making a nutrient evil and cutting things out that don't need to be cut out (unless you have a medical condition)?

Isn't that what most of us are here for - to cut things back/or out of our diets, to help us loss weight.

Some of us choose to restrict (or cut back on) a few food groups, like wheat or sugar, then you have people eating in moderation, who choose to cut back on everything - No thank you, that sounds like hell to me - in fact I've tried it and it was like hell!

• tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Sugar give us instant energy, but has no nutritional value. It can surge blood sugars very quickly and then drop very quickly.
    Best way to cut down on your sugar is by reducing it gradually. For example if you have 2 teaspoons of sugar in your beverage, drop it by a half teaspoon or 1 teaspoon until you are OK with no sugar with your tea and coffee. This way, you will be able to train your taste buds to less sugar.

You can have a small treat occasionally, that is fine. I find not having any bought cakes and biscuits in the cupboard stops the temptation to eat them. Have nuts, fruit, carrots, celery with peanut butter.

Contrary to belief, sugar actually IS the enemy. The type of sugar that you need to avoid is the one in cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, fruit juices (OK in moderation) and squashes, sweets, chocolates. The sugars you should try and have less of are sucrose, glucose.

The sugar in fruit is called fructose and is fine as long as you eat the whole fruit which also gives you vitamins and fibre. Milk sugar is called lactose and some people have an intolerance to this.

When you go for yogurts, go for the ones with no sugar or ones with 3% or less. Because foods say low fat, this does not mean that it is healthy. Low fat products tend to have too much sugar added to them. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, make your own sauces as most of the ready made meals and sauces are laden with added sugar. You will also know exactly what goes into your meal if you use fresh produce.

The body does need the right type of fat to keep healthy. Vitamins D, K, E are fat soluble vitamins and require the right type of fat to be absorbed into the body for optimal health. The good fats are in nuts, fish, coconut oil.

Hope this helps.

Hahahahaha you can't be that ignorant to think fruit only contains fructose.

BTW sugar is essential to human life

Acg67 six months ago I like you were under the false impression that sugar is essential to human life. Medical science clearly shows today that sugar or any other version of carbs are optional for human life vs being required.

It seems per some research from a NZ conference fructose is a cue that it will soon be winter so the hormones slows down the metabolism, raises the hormone Insulin which is needed to gain weight, increases the appetite so as much fat is gained as possible to make it through the long winter OK.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F1afyKN18S0

Starting at about 23:00 he covers this over the next few minutes. I found the entire video interesting that he presented to a group of his peers.

In short if we are consuming fructose and it does trigger fat storage and saps our energy so we just want to sleep it makes sense why some of us may be fat. It is outside of the box for sure. We already understand we do not get fat because we eat too much and move to little. It it more like we have low energy so we eat more to gain energy but hormonally being in fat storage mode we can only gain weight for the winter so we just gain more weight and feel more tired since today we never have to face "winter" and the risk of starving like even 100 years ago in some parts of the world.

Lol. So a blood glucose reading of zero would be perfectly fine and hypoglycemia isn't dangerous

But please show me said science.

By your post earlier, any noobs would think you were implying dietary sugar was essential for human existence - which is clearly wrong.

I don't think anyone is disputing the body caters for itself when it comes to glucose, as we have several organs in our bodies that will only feed on glucose (as in certain parts of our brain).

I don't think anyone on MFP is ever advocating a zero carb diet, this would be difficult to do and would certainly no be optimal for a healthy diet, carbs (in moderation) are a great part of a healthy diet.
  • elphie754

Ding ding! You hit the nail right on the head.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2014/04/25/can-humans-hibernate-ask-the-dwarf-lemur/

"Preceding hibernation, dwarf lemurs get fat. Excessively fat. As fat as they can manage given the food resources available, sometimes more than doubling their body weight all in a matter of little over a month. And they store this fat in their tails."

Some human can double their weight we know.

"During the rainy season, their habitat is replete with food and the animals are gorging themselves on fruit and insects—normal carbohydrate metabolism chugging away. Those genes that drive carbohydrate metabolism are flipped on. Then the extreme dry season hits and resources disappear. Dwarf lemurs enter hibernation and since they can only rely on stored fat in their tails to keep the critical physiological processes running, the combination of genes that govern fat metabolism flip on. This leads to a breakdown of fat reserves, which fuels the body during a time of fasting."

"Dissecting how animals in hibernation can rely solely on stored fat as fuel will indeed have immediate benefits for understanding obesity and other metabolic disorders."

When are you going to stop reaching for any excuse you can for weight gain and just accept the fact that you eat too much?

• PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015

Agreed. I have autoimmune arthritis (psoriatic). When he goes on about sugar effecting his pain levels and not taking medication for his arthritis, it pushes all my buttons. And yet? The kicker? One of the most effective remedies for pain for arthritis? Exercise? He's not doing it.

I'm saying this for lurkers. Eliminate sugar? It's a choice. It's yours to make. But it's not woo that will cure any autoimmune condition you might have. I moderate my carbs and consume sugar infrequently simply because I have few discretionary calories since I'm older and short and honestly don't have the taste for them. You know what? I still need medication and medical intervention.

• elphie754
    blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2014/04/25/can-humans-hibernate-ask-the-dwarf-lemur/

"Preceding hibernation, dwarf lemurs get fat. Excessively fat. As fat as they can manage given the food resources available, sometimes more than doubling their body weight all in a matter of little over a month. And they store this fat in their tails."

Some human can double their weight we know.

"During the rainy season, their habitat is replete with food and the animals are gorging themselves on fruit and insects—normal carbohydrate metabolism chugging away. Those genes that drive carbohydrate metabolism are flipped on. Then the extreme dry season hits and resources disappear. Dwarf lemurs enter hibernation and since they can only rely on stored fat in their tails to keep the critical physiological processes running, the combination of genes that govern fat metabolism flip on. This leads to a breakdown of fat reserves, which fuels the body during a time of fasting."

"Dissecting how animals in hibernation can rely solely on stored fat as fuel will indeed have immediate benefits for understanding obesity and other metabolic disorders."

When are you going to stop reaching for any excuse you can for weight gain and just accept the fact that you eat too much?

When he finally admits he is pretending to be a CEO.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Sugar give us instant energy, but has no nutritional value. It can surge blood sugars very quickly and then drop very quickly.
    Best way to cut down on your sugar is by reducing it gradually. For example if you have 2 teaspoons of sugar in your beverage, drop it by a half teaspoon or 1 teaspoon until you are OK with no sugar with your tea and coffee. This way, you will be able to train your taste buds to less sugar.

You can have a small treat occasionally, that is fine. I find not having any bought cakes and biscuits in the cupboard stops the temptation to eat them. Have nuts, fruit, carrots, celery with peanut butter.

Contrary to belief, sugar actually IS the enemy. The type of sugar that you need to avoid is the one in cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, fruit juices (OK in moderation) and squashes, sweets, chocolates. The sugars you should try and have less of are sucrose, glucose.

The sugar in fruit is called fructose and is fine as long as you eat the whole fruit which also gives you vitamins and fibre. Milk sugar is called lactose and some people have an intolerance to this.

When you go for yogurts, go for the ones with no sugar or ones with 3% or less. Because foods say low fat, this does not mean that it is healthy. Low fat products tend to have too much sugar added to them. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, make your own sauces as most of the ready made meals and sauces are laden with added sugar. You will also know exactly what goes into your meal if you use fresh produce.

The body does need the right type of fat to keep healthy. Vitamins D, K, E are fat soluble vitamins and require the right type of fat to be absorbed into the body for optimal health. The good fats are in nuts, fish, coconut oil.

Hope this helps.

Acg67 six months ago I like you were under the false impression that sugar is essential to human life. Medical science clearly shows today that sugar or any other version of carbs are optional for human life vs being required.

It seems per some research from a NZ conference fructose is a cue that it will soon be winter so the hormones slows down the metabolism, raises the hormone Insulin which is needed to gain weight, increases the appetite so as much fat is gained as possible to make it through the long winter OK.

Starting at about 23:00 he covers this over the next few minutes. I found the entire video interesting that he presented to a group of his peers.

In short if we are consuming fructose and it does trigger fat storage and saps our energy so we just want to sleep it makes sense why some of us may be fat. It is outside of the box for sure. We already understand we do not get fat because we eat too much and move to little. It it more like we have low energy so we eat more to gain energy but hormonally being in fat storage mode we can only gain weight for the winter so we just gain more weight and feel more tired since today we never have to face "winter" and the risk of starving like even 100 years ago in some parts of the world.

Lol. So a blood glucose reading of zero would be perfectly fine and hypoglycemia isn't dangerous

By your post earlier, any noobs would think you were implying dietary sugar was essential for human existence - which is clearly wrong.

I don't think anyone is disputing the body caters for itself when it comes to glucose, as we have several organs in our bodies that will only feed on glucose (as in certain parts of our brain).

I don't think anyone on MFP is ever advocating a zero carb diet, this would be difficult to do and would certainly no be optimal for a healthy diet, carbs (in moderation) are a great part of a healthy diet.

I implied no such thing and if someone was that ignorant than that's their fault.

And Gale Hawkins certainly did dispute that notion, although as usual it was a baseless claim since when asked to provide evidence, none was ever given
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    This thread's current focus on lemur hibernation is kind of freaking me out. B)
  • tennisdude2004

Hope this helps.

I implied no such thing and if someone was that ignorant than that's their fault.

And Gale Hawkins certainly did dispute that notion, although as usual it was a baseless claim since when asked to provide evidence, none was ever given

That's pretty much what I thought, I didn't think you ignorant enough to make such a ludicrous statement.

Just wanted to be clear in case any noobs where reading your statement and mis-read it, as your previous comment directly above it was discussing dietary sugar.

• GaleHawkins
    I claimed cutting out sugar and most other whole food with carbs greatly cut my pain levels because that is a fact in my life. The associated weight loss was a bonus.

You can personally attack me all you wish but please stop making false posts that may hurt those new to MFP.

healthline.com/health-slideshow/foods-to-avoid-with-arthritis#1

• PeachyCarol
  • Acg67
    I claimed cutting out sugar and most other whole food with carbs greatly cut my pain levels because that is a fact in my life. The associated weight loss was a bonus.

You can personally attack me all you wish but please stop making false posts that may hurt those new to MFP.

Pot meet kettle

"Acg67 six months ago I like you were under the false impression that sugar is essential to human life. Medical science clearly shows today that sugar or any other version of carbs are optional for human life vs being required."
  • GaleHawkins

Pot meet kettle

"Acg67 six months ago I like you were under the false impression that sugar is essential to human life. Medical science clearly shows today that sugar or any other version of carbs are optional for human life vs being required."

weightandwellness.com/resources/articles-and-videos/articles-about-other-health-conditions/sugar-aches/

For those who have arthritis pain made worse by eating sugar.

• Acg67

Pot meet kettle

weightandwellness.com/resources/articles-and-videos/articles-about-other-health-conditions/sugar-aches/

Doesn't substantiate your lies, try again
  • PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015

Pot meet kettle

Unsubstantiated nonsense.

What kind of arthritis do you have, Gale? What does your doctor say about your no sugar "treatment" of your symptoms? What kind of doctor do you see for your arthritis?