Say "NO" to GMO!

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    Options
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.
    Spoken like the scientist you are, cheers.

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm good.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.

I'm not against patenting of new species, there is no reason that it is less of an intellectual property process than inventing something else. Where patenting of discovered species, I find, can be easily criticized, the planned invention does deserve some intellectual protection. In the absence of some protection manufacturers would be justified in making non-germination lines to protect their commercial interests.
    Just like for medicines, there also needs to be fair use balances and goodwill based on need, and possibly shorter patent expiry dates. Thee is a balance that can be struck within need to drive inventiveness and availability of new species. Plus patent protection is actually a good barrier to monolithic culture development - not everyone has access to the latest so other crops are maintained...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    OP, there is no conclusive proof that GMO's are harmful or not. No reasonable long term studies have been completed.

If you are worried by it, best advice would be aim to eat food with you know does not contain it.

Personally I do not think there is a large risk and therefore do not avoid it, but I understand and respect other peoples decision to do so.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Tell rice farmers in rural China to say '"No" to GMO', when it's the only way they can guarantee to see most of the crop through to harvest and therefore won't starve to death...

China doesn't feed its people with GMO rice.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Caveat emptor.

I agree with this , checks and balances. Dont want to be a fear munger but also dont want to get bit in the butt.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Caveat emptor.

Exactly this. Either extreme is a mistake. I generally try to avoid them because no one can tell me definitely that they are safe, and they are causing issues in animals (yes, I get we are humans and not animals).
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion but the things I found out about GMO's aren't the greatest for you.
    I agree to a certain extent, mostly just that genetically modified foods like soybeans put from companies like Monsanto are ruining the lives of small farmers that choose not to grow the genetically modified versions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Bwahahahaha.

Do tell, why are they horrible? How precisely are they horrible and deleterious to health?

thanks.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Tell rice farmers in rural China to say '"No" to GMO', when it's the only way they can guarantee to see most of the crop through to harvest and therefore won't starve to death...

They grow and sell it though.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

No, they don't. They had a research project on GMO rice - it was never in production. And last year they even pulled the plug on the research project.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

No, they don't. They had a research project on GMO rice - it was never in production. And last year they even pulled the plug on the research project.

This is only partially true. China imports GMO crops mostly for animal feed. But part of those imports also goes for humans.

Secondly, Chinese government is pro GMO but has had significant public backlash and it currently runnig a huge media campaign trying to create a positive atmosphere.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Kiwi_Made wrote: »
    Probably because you went to a website that has the agenda of telling people that GMOs are horrible.

Don't forget the "scaremocumentaries" that seem to reel fish...I mean people in by the millions.

• dbmata
    Options

china feeds their people mercury, lead and arsenic. GMO wouldn't be a big deal for them, even if it were dangerous.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a Zestar tree in the backyard at the house. The zestar apple was born at the University of Minnesota in a lab around 2000. Since they're GMO, good to eat or not?
  • phungpat
    Options
    Undecided here. There aren't enough in depth studies either for or against. I'm reserving judgment until there are more facts. I do agree that there should be transparency though. Consumers have a right to know and make their own choices so labeling should be required for anything containing GMO's. No different than added sugars, sodium, etc. I want to know what I'm eating so I can make an informed decision about what I purchase.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You can eat it, but it might grow a third ball.
  • phungpat
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You can eat it, but it might grow a third ball.

And that's bad right?

This discussion has been closed.