Say "NO" to GMO!

Options

Replies

• tabarilla
    tabarilla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the whole "Hell No GMO" idea is ridiculous. If you are really worried about modified foods, why don't you attack something like high fructose corn syrup or other refined sugars? What about all of the artificial sweeteners that cause cancer and kill brain cells? And honestly, I don't have numbers, but I would hazard to guess that these refined and artificial sweeteners are killing more people in our society than GMOs. I don't know the validity of any of it, but I can tell you this - I bet that you would be a lot healthier if you worried more about your refined sugar intake and less about whether or not something is genetically modified.

But honestly, do not take one documentary or one scientific paper as gospel. You have to research many, many, many different resources to make an informed decision about these things.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    If you watch the video in the link I posted above, she talks about the different patented seeds. There are seeds which will only germinate if they are fertilized with monsanto's fertilizer. This only profits the mega corporations, not the farmers or the consumer. Other countries are not allowing some of the modifications to food that we see in the US until they are proved harmless. Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

Did you know that there is little evidence that gluten sensitivity even exists?

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html
    "when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here. Patients reported gastrointestinal distress without any apparent physical cause. Gluten wasn't the culprit; the cause was likely psychological. Participants expected the diets to make them sick, and so they did. "

Did you know that Europe imports 1.1 million tons of US wheat each year?

No GMO wheat is currently on the commercial market.

• mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    tabarilla wrote: »
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the whole "Hell No GMO" idea is ridiculous. If you are really worried about modified foods, why don't you attack something like high fructose corn syrup or other refined sugars? What about all of the artificial sweeteners that cause cancer and kill brain cells? And honestly, I don't have numbers, but I would hazard to guess that these refined and artificial sweeteners are killing more people in our society than GMOs. I don't know the validity of any of it, but I can tell you this - I bet that you would be a lot healthier if you worried more about your refined sugar intake and less about whether or not something is genetically modified.

But honestly, do not take one documentary or one scientific paper as gospel. You have to research many, many, many different resources to make an informed decision about these things.

You cant find them because they dont exist. Fear mongering about sugar and sweeteners is just as bad as fear mongering about GMO.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/10/sugar_is_not_toxic.html
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    So, they splice soil bacterial DNA with corn DNA to make it weed resistant and fish DNA with strawberries to make it frost resistant. This would never happen on its own in nature. Scientific studies are often flawed especially when so many special interests are involved. Allergies and autoimmune diseases are on the rise big time. I know correlation is not causation, but show me a really good study on how safe GMOs are, please.

As far as I know neither fish nor soil is going to be killing me anytime soon.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So, they splice soil bacterial DNA with corn DNA to make it weed resistant and fish DNA with strawberries to make it frost resistant. This would never happen on its own in nature. Scientific studies are often flawed especially when so many special interests are involved. Allergies and autoimmune diseases are on the rise big time. I know correlation is not causation, but show me a really good study on how safe GMOs are, please.

Curious if you know what splicing is? Scientists take a helpful gene that is within an organism and encode it into the crops DNA. A gene is literally a sequence of 4 differently arranged nucleotides that make a protein product in the cell. Guess what, your body uses those same 4 nucleotides to encode it's protein products.

Moreover, when you consume a GM product it gets broken down into its monomeric subunit (onto the level of amino acids and nucleotides). Your body doesn't know, or care, what order those amino acids and nucleotides were in. It just takes them and uses them to make more of its own DNA and proteins.

So tell me again how placing nucleotides and amino acids in your body is dangerous?

Also, it's very naive to say crops on their own wouldn't ever develop weed or frost resistance. Over many, many generations evolution leads to characteristics that would benefit a crop. If bacteria developed the ability to ward off weeds, than its very likely a plant species (which has a slower generation time) would evolve such a characteristic.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

There is no GMO wheat in production, anywhere.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's really no different, only the process is sped up.

If there is a risk, that is where it lies.
  • tabarilla
    Options

You cant find them because they dont exist. Fear mongering about sugar and sweeteners is just as bad as fear mongering about GMO.

I would have to agree with you. Sugar is not toxic. I don't believe I ever claimed it was. However, if you eat too much sugar, it is really bad for you, and with a lot of refined sugar in almost everything (with the exception of whole, unprocessed foods), it is difficult to cut down on it. One of the worst things about sugar? It is addictive, which can lead to obesity and other related illnesses. And while artificial sweeteners have mixed results in their studies (which render them inconclusive), I don't see a need to take the chance, especially when you can easily avoid it, and use other, more natural sugars instead.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-effects-of-sugar
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/9987825/Sweet-poison-why-sugar-is-ruining-our-health.html
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I would have to agree with you. Sugar is not toxic. I don't believe I ever claimed it was. However, if you eat too much sugar, it is really bad for you, and with a lot of refined sugar in almost everything (with the exception of whole, unprocessed foods), it is difficult to cut down on it. One of the worst things about sugar? It is addictive, which can lead to obesity and other related illnesses. And while artificial sweeteners have mixed results in their studies (which render them inconclusive), I don't see a need to take the chance, especially when you can easily avoid it, and use other, more natural sugars instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/9987825/Sweet-poison-why-sugar-is-ruining-our-health.html

giphy.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the whole "Hell No GMO" idea is ridiculous. If you are really worried about modified foods, why don't you attack something like high fructose corn syrup or other refined sugars? What about all of the artificial sweeteners that cause cancer and kill brain cells? And honestly, I don't have numbers, but I don't know the validity of any of it, but I can tell you this - I bet that you would be a lot healthier if you worried more about your refined sugar intake and less about whether or not something is genetically modified.

Over consumption is a problem but modern people are eating to much of everything. I have not seen any evidence that " these refined and artificial sweeteners are killing more people in our society than GMOs."

The article talked about HFCS and how it is processed in humans.
  • tabarilla
    Options
    And now back to our regularly scheduled program: "Hell No GMO" ;)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Lol, if we were just to abide by nature, then why create medicine or medical procedures? Why not just let people die naturally? If they have cancer, influenza, measles, etc. the "natural" way would be to just see if they survive it.
    And yes studies that funded by special interests (ala Mercola) are flawed. That's why one should search out PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES.

http://www.agbioworld.org/biotech-info/articles/biotech-art/peer-reviewed-pubs.html

http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette/section-1/1-1-pusztais-flawed-claims/

http://genera.biofortified.org/view/Řehout2009

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691511006399

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tabarilla
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure who you are arguing with here. I think I stated in my original comment that I don't know the validity of any of it. However, there is more research out there pointing to the harmful effects of too much sugar, as opposed to research about the harmful effects of GMOs. That was basically my only point, though maybe not stated in the best way originally.
  • KMCbluestar
    KMCbluestar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow wasn't expecting so many comments. Lol
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    GMO's are literally the only way to feed everybody in the world.
    Tell rice farmers in rural China to say '"No" to GMO', when it's the only way they can guarantee to see most of the crop through to harvest and therefore won't starve to death, the big reason humans live so long in the developed world is because of an abundance of food.

The mere act of farming is genetically modifying to organisms

If we should say 'no' to anything, it should be 'no' to the growing population, which is much more dangerous that GMO's
  • KMCbluestar
    Options
    Far as I'm concern even with the GMO... We still aren't feeding everyone. People are still starving.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

so you mean, you DIDN"T learn about GMOs today
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    What's so horrible about GMO's exactly?

Hopefully you don't ever need to take insulin, a genetically modified bacteria is used to make it.

eta: I don't mean to come off as snarky, but having my BS in biology it often gets me riled up when people attack GMOs and generally have no solid evidence backing up their claims other than biased documentaries and websites with an agenda.

Without GMOs there would be an even larger gap in those who go hungry and don't have enough food to eat. Farmers are being driven to grow more food than ever on less land than ever, without GMOs that would be impossible. Oh yeah, those fruits and vegetables you (probably) love, wouldn't be half the size without genetic modification.

by all means, be snarky, because you're correct and the arguments against are baseless and stooopid. similarly stooopid arguments against actual science are the reason we're having children die of diseases that we have vaccinations for.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Wow wasn't expecting so many comments. Lol
    Misinformation shouldn't be spread in a community where many people look for actual truth.
    MFP has a community of members who are very well versed on the fallacies created by the diet and fitness industry as well as many "natural" sites, blogs, etc. that fear monger people. And I'm betting most of the time it's because of a disagreement stance with corporations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KMCbluestar
    Options
    No GMO's aren't good for us and have been proven. There has been testing on rats and the rat that only ate GMO foods ended suffering from a big tumour. Watched a documentary. Yes GMO's feeds more people but we are feeding people not the healthiest foods. It's my opinion that eating organic non GMO foods are better because GMO isn't natural.
This discussion has been closed.