Ground beef vs. ground turkey

13»

Replies

• kinneygirl86
    kinneygirl86 Posts: 3 Member
    Beef is generally harder for the body to digest vs chicken or turkey.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Both are yummy. I use both. All different fat ratios. Ground sausage too. Diversity is the spice of life!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It depends on your goals. I use both, depending on the dish and/or what else I've eaten that day. I'm not a fan of turkey burgers, so when we have hamburgers we use beef (though we do love tuna or salmon burgers). For things like pasta sauce or chili, which are highly seasoned, I can't tell much difference so I use either.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Anyone have a killer turkey burger recipe? I've had great ones (by far better than beef) and bad ones (plain broiled ground turkey), but I've never made one at home.

This is one of my favs... there is SO MUCH flavor!

http://jenniferdaley.tumblr.com/post/59403483861/southwestern-turkey-burgers
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Taste Vs. No taste
    I'll choose taste

^^^ This

it depends on what the recipe calls for.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Either/or. There's lean ground beef which has the same calorie and macro profile as turkey (93/7). Though, turkey breast is incredibly lean. It really depends on the recipe.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    It really depends on what I'm making. Something like a bacon-wrapped meatloaf is going to require beef (because I said so). However, I don't eat much beef. I rarely make or even want burgers, so when I do make them, I generally go the turkey route - if it's seasoned well enough I wouldn't know the difference except the texture.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    fat doesn't make you fat.

Oh man, I hate that much propagated phrase. Fat has calories, so it can make you fat the same as any other food.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    There's a pretty huge difference in fat and calories.

Not necessarily....you can get 95% lean ground beef....95% lean ground beef has the same exact fat content as 95% lean turkey. 85% lean ground beef has the exact same fat content as 85% lean ground turkey.

You have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples...you can't compare, for example, 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground turkey...of course, the turkey would have less fat in that instance...but the same would be said for comparing 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground beef.

Personally, turkey belongs on sammiches with mayo and big slabs of it during the holidays...it is an in-adequate substitute for a burger and don't get me started on sausage or bacon...just no.

I eat beef, ground beef, chicken, fish, turkey, pork, bacon, etc....I try to make most of my meats lean, but a good fatty burger occasionally is excellent. Just fit it into your goals. I do all of the above and have dropped 40 Lbs and completely reversed a bunch of really bad blood work.

QFT

Ground turkey is gross... Although I don't mind turkey keilbasa
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    I just go for lean ground beef. I find that red meat gives me a pretty mean burst of energy and I don't want to eat nothing but white meat forever. I figure a diet with variety is a diet that's healthy. I like ground turkey just fine but I do eat ground beef a lot.

The only time I use a turkey substitute is when I'm making sausage biscuits and gravy though because pork sausage is kind of terrifyingly calorific, and ends up tasting about the same.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    I use a lot of ground turkey. They have taco seasoned and Italian seasoned at the store now which helps with the taste.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Ground beef = yum
    Ground turkey = yuck
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    I was wondering about others preferences in regards to using ground beef vs. ground turkey when using it in meals? Is there really any big pros or cons using one over the other or is it just more of personal preference??
    913535e2_why_not_both.png
    I make my homemade marinara meat sauce with a half-n-half split of 80% fat free ground beef and 93% fat free ground turkey. nom nom nom
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Ground turkey is no healthier than ground beef and in many instances it is way less healthy.........they grind the skin up with it which adds to higher Omega 6, which can lead to inflammation.

I will stick to my grass fed ground beef from my local farmers.

^^This^^
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I prefer lean ground beef. Something horrible and demonic happens to turkey when they grind it up. ((*shudder*))
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    old thread is old.

I buy which ever one is on sale. period.