Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Krau wrote: »
    Taken from: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/what-do-i-do-with-leftover-juice-pulp/

"1. Blend pulp into a smoothie to add fiber.
    2. Add to a soup to thicken and boost fiber and nutrient density.
    3. Use fruit pulp to make frozen “pulpsicles” or fruit pulp ice.
    4. Make a veggie broth by boiling pulp with water, herbs, and spices, then straining.
    5. Make a “fruit tea” by boiling fruit pulp with water, adding spices such as cinnamon or ginger, cooling, and then straining.
    6. Use veggie pulp to add nutrient density to mac n’ cheese or pasta sauce, or layer into a lasagne.
    7. Make fabulous fruit leathers.
    9. Use in homemade veggie burgers or fritters. Pulp adds moisture, flavor, and nutrition.
    10. Mix pulp into baked goods like muffins, cakes, bread, dehydrated or baked cookies, and granola bars. Celery, onion, carrot, sweet potato, spinach, apple, and berry all work beautifully.
    11. Use fruit or veggie pulp to add flavor, texture, and moisture to pancakes.
    12. Make dehydrated pulp crackers.
    13. Use pulp for raw pizza crust.
    14. Make pulp marmalade.
    15. Make a pulp crumble by mixing pulp with fruit and juice, reducing, and then topping with oats, spices, nuts, or seeds.
    16. Dehydrate and make trail mix with raw nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
    17. Dehydrate and use like bread crumbs.
    18. Use in DIY skincare recipes like scrubs, masks, and soap.
    19. Mix pulp into your dog’s food or make dog treats.
    If all else fails:
    20. Feed it to your chickens, freeze it in ice cube trays to use later, or compost it."

I get my fiber from the FOOD that I EAT. But if you are not wanting to waste any part of what you are juicing, there are numerous ways to not waste!

Thx for posting - I needed some new ideas lol! I usually mix the pulp in quinoa, make vegetable stock, add it to whatever I'm baking, or compost.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I get what you're saying about being able to drink the juice, with nutrients, from a variety of sources, all in one glass. Yay that.

I've thought of juicing some spinach in with things I like so that I can work the spinach in. I do fine with spinach mixed into other foods, just can't eat the fresh leaves - so bitter!

I'm not against a glass of freshly juiced items. Better than soda.

Lots of people drink protein shakes, so why not juice?

It's not curing any illness, though...and fasting isn't necessary or very healthy. A day won't do you much, if any, harm, but as a regular thing - avoid it.

can't you just cook the spinach? raw spinach is boring to me. or did you mean you don't like it even when cooked?

i mix it with mushrooms and blue cheese lately. it's awesome.

Mmm I add spinach to everything! Eggs, chicken, salad...errythang

yeah, i love spinach.
  • Krau
    Krau Posts: 20
    Options
    Sorry, I'm so obviously missing something here....
    Why not get one of those ninja juicer things that allow you to get the nutrients from the pulp??

I have a blender as well and used to make smoothies a few times a week but the majority of smoothie recipes have banana in them and are just to sweet for me. I enjoy more tart things which is why I like the green juices with lemon and ginger. Also by juicing, I can get things like ginger into my diet because it's extremely good for you but how many times a day do you find the opportunity to use ginger? How many times a day can you use spinach or how much unless you eat salads for every meal. I also don't enjoy spinach as much as other greens for a lot of things. I prefer spring mix for my salads and I will occasionally put spinach in an omelet in the mornings but by juicing a few days a week I can consume an entire bag of spinach in a day or 2 vs the handful or two I'd get in through other methods. You are not removing any NUTRIENTS when you juice. The fibers, yes but not the nutrient value and the vitamins. You are able to consume more produce in less space occupying way and I value that. I would get full way before I hit my nutrient intake for the day otherwise. I am done going back and forth but I do know that I use juicing in a very appropriate way. I LOVE the taste of the juice I make and it allows me to get things into my diet that I may not otherwise be able to eat every day. That is the same reason I occasionally make a smoothie still and put avocado in it. They are very GOOD for you but I do not enjoy eating them other than making guacamole and you can only eat so much guacamole before you start exceeding your calories for the day significantly. I count calories, I include my juice in my calories (I use the calorie info from the recipe I use. I did not calculate it) and I follow the "rules" or the "intentions" of this site by monitering my intake and outtake of calories and exercise. Yesterday was the first day that I have ever posted in a forum on this site and I have been a member for a long time. I was very disappointed in how rude people can be. There are many ways to demonstrate your side of an issue without being rude, sarcastic, and condescending. I thought this site was about support and helping each other with our journey to health and weightloss. For those of you that rudely continue to bash juicing, I do not see anything backing it up. If you would like to share information that supports your argument than I will gladly click a link and read an article. Some of you also seem to be very confused about what juicing even is and you shouldn't condemn something that you don't know anything about.

For those of you that acknowledged some of the points that I tried to make, thank you. You don't have to agree with me but being respectful is the mature way to converse. Many of the people that continue to mock juicing are mocking it as a juice fast only and seem to compare it to sugar water which it is not. I'd encourage doing your own research before mocking anything. My doctor knows I juice. I regularly have a juice in hand when I'm in there. I get yearly checkups and blood work and monitor my health progress closely and I can tell you that juicing has done nothing but benefit me in my own personal experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own journey though. You do not have to take or agree with mine. This may very well be the last time I participate in a forum on this site. I'm still extremely disappointed in the experience. I think I'd be better off continuing my journey to health offline....
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Must be a record. This post hit 3 pages without referencing "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"!!!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Why not get one of those ninja juicer things that allow you to get the nutrients from the pulp??

I have a blender as well and used to make smoothies a few times a week but the majority of smoothie recipes have banana in them and are just to sweet for me. I enjoy more tart things which is why I like the green juices with lemon and ginger. Also by juicing, I can get things like ginger into my diet because it's extremely good for you but how many times a day do you find the opportunity to use ginger? How many times a day can you use spinach or how much unless you eat salads for every meal. I also don't enjoy spinach as much as other greens for a lot of things. I prefer spring mix for my salads and I will occasionally put spinach in an omelet in the mornings but by juicing a few days a week I can consume an entire bag of spinach in a day or 2 vs the handful or two I'd get in through other methods. You are not removing any NUTRIENTS when you juice. The fibers, yes but not the nutrient value and the vitamins. You are able to consume more produce in less space occupying way and I value that. I would get full way before I hit my nutrient intake for the day otherwise. I am done going back and forth but I do know that I use juicing in a very appropriate way. I LOVE the taste of the juice I make and it allows me to get things into my diet that I may not otherwise be able to eat every day. That is the same reason I occasionally make a smoothie still and put avocado in it. They are very GOOD for you but I do not enjoy eating them other than making guacamole and you can only eat so much guacamole before you start exceeding your calories for the day significantly. I count calories, I include my juice in my calories (I use the calorie info from the recipe I use. I did not calculate it) and I follow the "rules" or the "intentions" of this site by monitering my intake and outtake of calories and exercise. Yesterday was the first day that I have ever posted in a forum on this site and I have been a member for a long time. I was very disappointed in how rude people can be. There are many ways to demonstrate your side of an issue without being rude, sarcastic, and condescending. I thought this site was about support and helping each other with our journey to health and weightloss. For those of you that rudely continue to bash juicing, I do not see anything backing it up. If you would like to share information that supports your argument than I will gladly click a link and read an article. Some of you also seem to be very confused about what juicing even is and you shouldn't condemn something that you don't know anything about.

For those of you that acknowledged some of the points that I tried to make, thank you. You don't have to agree with me but being respectful is the mature way to converse. Many of the people that continue to mock juicing are mocking it as a juice fast only and seem to compare it to sugar water which it is not. I'd encourage doing your own research before mocking anything. My doctor knows I juice. I regularly have a juice in hand when I'm in there. I get yearly checkups and blood work and monitor my health progress closely and I can tell you that juicing has done nothing but benefit me in my own personal experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own journey though. You do not have to take or agree with mine. This may very well be the last time I participate in a forum on this site. I'm still extremely disappointed in the experience. I think I'd be better off continuing my journey to health offline....

i cook spinach. i don't eat it in salads. it's pretty easy to eat a lot of spinach if you cook it. it shrinks a lot in that pan.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So, in the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" , does anyone know how he got fat? Was from over eating fruits & veggies? Is that why he decided to juice them?

He got fat because he ate too much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My roommate just bought a juicer and he's been making some really delicious juice mixes primarily with veggies. It hadn't occurred to me to use the pulp, but I think I might try boiling it for some veggie stock. Thanks, guys!

For those who juice regularly, how do you log it? Do you just weigh the veggies and fruits before juicing and ignore the fact that you're removing half of the weight and a lot of the nutrients?

Homemade juices are delicious. I've used fruit pulp in muffins before.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

i cook spinach. i don't eat it in salads. it's pretty easy to eat a lot of spinach if you cook it. it shrinks a lot in that pan.

Mmmmmm... now I want spinach. I make this ... thing... where I cook it with cherry tomatoes and a boatload of garlic.

• pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also lose your basic healthy pound or 2 a week through juicing AND eating a nutritious diet of whole foods. I can drink 2 juices a day, eat breakfast lunch, and dinner and not go over my 1500 calories... So sounds like it adds up to me.

ummm...you're eating 3 meals a day PLUS the juicing so that's unrelated to the OP's topic of juice fasting. Not sure much of what you've said makes sense anyway.

I have a friend (real life friend) who has been juicing (juice fasting I'm guessing) & losing like a pound a day. Terrible idea in my opinion for a variety of reasons, but I kept quiet when she cut her hand this weekend prepping her "food" & ended up with 4 stitches & now can't exercise at all except a little walking.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    People have completely REVERSED many illnesses through juicing. There are a large variety of ways to juice. You can juice and eat or you can just juice and people often juice for 15, 30, or even more days with absolutely no ill effects. You're body is given a break from digesting and your system resets itself and you are getting all of those micronutrients that instantly absorbed into and used by your body. I don't prefer to just juice because I need variety to my diet but I know that many people have done it and after the adjustment period (the first 4 days or so) you can juice comfortably and not be hungry or have any of the side effects that you experience in the first few days of detoxing

Your body doesn't need a "break" from digesting food. Does your heart need a break from beating all the time? Your lungs from providing gas exchange 24/7? No.

And with juicing, you don't get enough protein, so you lose muscle mass. And your heart is a muscle. Bad.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Well my problem is that you came in spouting how juicing ADDS nutrients, when even you backtracked and said that was not the case. If you're going to come trotting in here speaking some gospel truth you might want to make sure you are not incorrect. This might come as a shock, but there are people who will take what you say and treat those words as if you are an authority on the matter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-d-braunstein-md/juice-diets-and-fasts_b_1314407.html

"Proponents of juicing claim that nutrients are better absorbed by the body in juice than whole fruit, but there is no convincing scientific evidence to support this. Advocates also assert that drinking juice gives the digestive system a break from working on fiber. But fiber actually aids digestion."

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110216006899/en/Mayo-Clinic-Health-Letter-February-2011-Evaluating#.VL54CHZxt8U

The Mayo Clinic Health Letter covers juicing claims that don’t stand up to scrutiny. Some of those claims and the corresponding facts are:

-- The body absorbs more nutrients from juice -- The theory here is that fiber, often filtered out of juice, is too taxing on the digestive system, and that fiber impairs digestion of fruit and vegetable nutrients. The opposite is true. The digestive system needs fiber to function properly and to remain healthy.

-- Juices help cleanse toxins from the body -- No convincing evidence supports this claim. The liver and kidneys efficiently process and eliminate toxins.

-- Juicing helps with weight loss -- Weight loss (or gain) is about calories consumed and burned. Homemade juices can have high amounts of natural sugars and surprisingly high calorie counts.

-- Juicing is economical -- Juicing machines can cost from $30 to $300. For frequent juice drinkers, the cost of juicing at home may be lower over time than purchasing 100 percent juice. However, grocery costs can easily increase because of the volume of produce needed to make juice. The most economical approach may be to consume whole fruits and vegetables.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I have both a juicer and the Ninja. Sometimes I want to just supplement my nutrients without getting a substantial calorie increase, and I will use the juicer to achieve that. With the juicer you can extract the nutrients without the pulp and keep the drink under 100 calories. I use the Ninja for smoothies, but those tend to range in calories around 400 - 700, so if I notice at the end of the day I am deficit in a nutrient its easier for me to just juice to get without ruining my calorie budget. That being said, I use both devices a lot, and each has their own pros and cons. That's just my take on it.

A side note, the Ninja is very useful for regular cooking as well, I use it frequently as a food processor.

To the OP

As far as a juice fast, I've never tried that. I don't think I could give up actual eating lol. Also, I don't want to deprive myself of fiber. I do think fiber is important for many different aspects of health, and there are numerous studies/articles online stating just that. I'm certain one can lose a lot of weight quickly by juice fasting, I just don't think that's the healthiest way to go about it, and it's not sustainable...just my opinion.

• Krau
    Options

Well my problem is that you came in spouting how juicing ADDS nutrients, when even you backtracked and said that was not the case. If you're going to come trotting in here speaking some gospel truth you might want to make sure you are not incorrect. This might come as a shock, but there are people who will take what you say and treat those words as if you are an authority on the matter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-d-braunstein-md/juice-diets-and-fasts_b_1314407.html

"Proponents of juicing claim that nutrients are better absorbed by the body in juice than whole fruit, but there is no convincing scientific evidence to support this. Advocates also assert that drinking juice gives the digestive system a break from working on fiber. But fiber actually aids digestion."

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110216006899/en/Mayo-Clinic-Health-Letter-February-2011-Evaluating#.VL54CHZxt8U

The Mayo Clinic Health Letter covers juicing claims that don’t stand up to scrutiny. Some of those claims and the corresponding facts are:

-- The body absorbs more nutrients from juice -- The theory here is that fiber, often filtered out of juice, is too taxing on the digestive system, and that fiber impairs digestion of fruit and vegetable nutrients. The opposite is true. The digestive system needs fiber to function properly and to remain healthy.

-- Juices help cleanse toxins from the body -- No convincing evidence supports this claim. The liver and kidneys efficiently process and eliminate toxins.

-- Juicing helps with weight loss -- Weight loss (or gain) is about calories consumed and burned. Homemade juices can have high amounts of natural sugars and surprisingly high calorie counts.

-- Juicing is economical -- Juicing machines can cost from $30 to $300. For frequent juice drinkers, the cost of juicing at home may be lower over time than purchasing 100 percent juice. However, grocery costs can easily increase because of the volume of produce needed to make juice. The most economical approach may be to consume whole fruits and vegetables.

"Most adults should eat at least nine servings (4½ cups) of vegetables and fruits daily (sorry, potatoes don't count). But few of us do. According to a 2009 survey by the Center for Disease Control, just 32.5% of adults consumed fruit two or more times per day and 26.3% eat vegetables three or more times per day. A healthy diet also should include a variety of types and colors of produce.

If juicing helps you achieve this, then puree away." <--- from your article. This is the MAIN point that I keep trying to make and that everyone keeps ignoring or overlooking. Please let me know what you included in your 9 servings of fruits and vegetables today.... I eat both with every meal and it can still be hard to boast those kind of numbers.

"As for cleansing the toxins from your body, there is no scientific evidence that juice fasts do this; the liver and kidneys efficiently process and eliminate toxins on their own. "

I would in no way claim that just juice in general detoxes your body. If you put the foods and herbs in the juice that are KNOWN for aiding in your body's natural detoxification process then, yes, it helps. I don't believe the body is capable of removing the large amounts of toxins that the majority of people put into their body. Our bodies are amazing things but everything has a limit and some people just FLOOD their bodies with garbage. Even when you think you are eating healthy, most people aren't because of what is put into our food. If you can't or will not make it yourself, then you probably should not eat it. The things that we allow in are food are scary and most other major countries ban many of the additives that are in American processed foods.

"Fiber, due to its bulky nature, stretches our stomachs. Our stomach receptors then signal the brain telling us that we're full," explains my colleague Jennifer Arussi, a registered dietitian. "Without that feeling of fullness we have a greater potential to over eat."

I feel full after drinking my juice and I do not crash later and overeat then. You are only removing one kind of fiber when you juice and BOTH kinds are important! People jump on the fiber bandwagon the same way they jump on the protein one. Yes your body needs them to function. I will not argue that. You need the right combination of BOTH soluble and insoluble fiber though and fiber is not the only component to good digestion. Bacteria plays a HUGE role in digestion and overall gut health. Enough so that they are currently researching ways to make personalized probiotics for individuals because the bacteria in our gut is THAT IMPORTANT. They also transplant healthy bacteria from healthy people to people with issues. This is done by a DOCTOR so it is not some health fad or claim. It is a medical procedure that is used to address medical issues that a GI doctor diagnoses. You can talk about fiber all day but fiber alone is not the whole picture. You are ignoring the rest of the puzzle by zoning in on the generic term of fiber but not even addressing the many different sources of fiber and the different kinds. I started my weightloss journey with gut issues. I have NONE today and I did not fix my gut issues with fiber. I had more than one doctor send me on my way with the recommendation of increasing my fiber intake and buying fiber powder. I did BOTH with no benefit. Adding a probiotic is what finally fixed my gut issues and slow digestion for good. I also juice and eat a balanced diet. I used to use Chia seeds for my digestive aid but they weren't enough to fix the problem because most of the time Fiber alone is not the issue or missing piece.

Thank you to who shared the articles. I appreciate being able to read someone else's perspective through offered evidence. People on the internet like to offer a conclusion but with no premises to support it. Show me your support and I'll read it. I love to learn.
  • dtaanderson
    dtaanderson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I juice everyday. I have done a 3 day "reboot" twice in the past but mainly make green juices and the occasional "orange" juice and have them every morning and sometimes in the afternoon. I have no issues whatsoever with going over my calories and drinking the juice that I make. Juicing is actually helping you ADD important nutrients. You are not losing them. By juicing the fruits and vegetables you are able to incorporate way more nutrients than you could ever just eat. I also love that the more I juice, the less I crave any food that isn't nutrient dense. Your body develops a preference to that high level of nutrients and eating anything that is bad for you won't even sound appealing. So I 100% support juicing! :)

• Krau
    Options

I have both a juicer and the Ninja. Sometimes I want to just supplement my nutrients without getting a substantial calorie increase, and I will use the juicer to achieve that. With the juicer you can extract the nutrients without the pulp and keep the drink under 100 calories. I use the Ninja for smoothies, but those tend to range in calories around 400 - 700, so if I notice at the end of the day I am deficit in a nutrient its easier for me to just juice to get without ruining my calorie budget. That being said, I use both devices a lot, and each has their own pros and cons. That's just my take on it.

A side note, the Ninja is very useful for regular cooking as well, I use it frequently as a food processor.

To the OP

As far as a juice fast, I've never tried that. I don't think I could give up actual eating lol. Also, I don't want to deprive myself of fiber. I do think fiber is important for many different aspects of health, and there are numerous studies/articles online stating just that. I'm certain one can lose a lot of weight quickly by juice fasting, I just don't think that's the healthiest way to go about it, and it's not sustainable...just my opinion.

Good points. I also have used both. I don't hit those calorie levels with my smooties I don't believe but maybe it's a matter of what you use as a base. I use unsweetened almond milk usually.

Ninjas are amazing for cooking I hear! I think a lot of people buy them for that, not blending smoothies. I just have a cheap $20 high speed blender and I use it for cooking too. It works pretty good for $20!
  • dtaanderson
    dtaanderson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I support Juicing/ it good to cleance one system now and than/ when I do I do a 3 day or 5 day juice/ Its a good thing for me/ :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    used too but now I rather get the fibre along with the nutrients. If you juice supplement with a lot of whole fruits and veggies too
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

"Most adults should eat at least nine servings (4½ cups) of vegetables and fruits daily (sorry, potatoes don't count). But few of us do. According to a 2009 survey by the Center for Disease Control, just 32.5% of adults consumed fruit two or more times per day and 26.3% eat vegetables three or more times per day. A healthy diet also should include a variety of types and colors of produce.

If juicing helps you achieve this, then puree away." <--- from your article. This is the MAIN point that I keep trying to make and that everyone keeps ignoring or overlooking. Please let me know what you included in your 9 servings of fruits and vegetables today.... I eat both with every meal and it can still be hard to boast those kind of numbers.

"As for cleansing the toxins from your body, there is no scientific evidence that juice fasts do this; the liver and kidneys efficiently process and eliminate toxins on their own. "

I would in no way claim that just juice in general detoxes your body. If you put the foods and herbs in the juice that are KNOWN for aiding in your body's natural detoxification process then, yes, it helps. I don't believe the body is capable of removing the large amounts of toxins that the majority of people put into their body. Our bodies are amazing things but everything has a limit and some people just FLOOD their bodies with garbage. Even when you think you are eating healthy, most people aren't because of what is put into our food. If you can't or will not make it yourself, then you probably should not eat it. The things that we allow in are food are scary and most other major countries ban many of the additives that are in American processed foods.

"Fiber, due to its bulky nature, stretches our stomachs. Our stomach receptors then signal the brain telling us that we're full," explains my colleague Jennifer Arussi, a registered dietitian. "Without that feeling of fullness we have a greater potential to over eat."

I feel full after drinking my juice and I do not crash later and overeat then. You are only removing one kind of fiber when you juice and BOTH kinds are important! People jump on the fiber bandwagon the same way they jump on the protein one. Yes your body needs them to function. I will not argue that. You need the right combination of BOTH soluble and insoluble fiber though and fiber is not the only component to good digestion. Bacteria plays a HUGE role in digestion and overall gut health. Enough so that they are currently researching ways to make personalized probiotics for individuals because the bacteria in our gut is THAT IMPORTANT. They also transplant healthy bacteria from healthy people to people with issues. This is done by a DOCTOR so it is not some health fad or claim. It is a medical procedure that is used to address medical issues that a GI doctor diagnoses. You can talk about fiber all day but fiber alone is not the whole picture. You are ignoring the rest of the puzzle by zoning in on the generic term of fiber but not even addressing the many different sources of fiber and the different kinds. I started my weightloss journey with gut issues. I have NONE today and I did not fix my gut issues with fiber. I had more than one doctor send me on my way with the recommendation of increasing my fiber intake and buying fiber powder. I did BOTH with no benefit. Adding a probiotic is what finally fixed my gut issues and slow digestion for good. I also juice and eat a balanced diet. I used to use Chia seeds for my digestive aid but they weren't enough to fix the problem because most of the time Fiber alone is not the issue or missing piece.

Thank you to who shared the articles. I appreciate being able to read someone else's perspective through offered evidence. People on the internet like to offer a conclusion but with no premises to support it. Show me your support and I'll read it. I love to learn.

but if you're removing the solid parts of fruits and vegetables by juicing it, you are not getting 9 servings of full vegetables. you are just taking parts of it and throwing out the rest.

in looking at my diary, getting fiber is not easy. why eliminate one source of it?