beginning running.... how do you get past the embarrasment?

Options

Replies

• StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've recently downloaded the c25k app and was super excited to start trying to run, until this morning when I actually attempted it (somewhere I thought was secluded) and cars kept going past me etc and I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it made me get to the point I thought I was going to cry with embarrassment and I quit. So for those that have been running for a while, how did you get past that initial embarrassment? I live in a tiny village where everyone knows everything so I can't even tell myself that these are people I'm never going to see again.

Honestly, this is all in your head. I am not trying to act like some people don't have bad attitudes and like to poke fun, but the majority isn't paying any attention to you at all. In fact, you may be surprised at how many people you motivate. I have had really fit people come up to me after classes and tell me that I am a motivation to them. I am always in shock because these people are so beautiful and lean. They always tell me that they admire me and can see the changes in my body. It's a great feeling. Stick with it, get yourself a play list and pay no attention to those passing by.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Put the headphones in and just focus on breathing. What do you think when you see someone running? I always think that I should be doing the same thing. I doubt many people will think they way you think they will. When I see someone over weight running I am impressed that they are doing something to change.
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I pass someone walking or running in my car... I'm thinking "Damn, I wish I had the motivation!"

I felt the same when I started out. Still do sometimes. I deal with it by walking or jogging really early or around dinnertime or taking one of the kids in the stoller and focusing more or less on them. It gets better the more you do it.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've got total respect for folks who are out there doing it - running, walking, skipping, fat, thin, medium... it doesn't matter. Every time I see them I think "yep, go get it". Personally, I walked into a gym 13 mos. ago at 318lbs. I was wearing a 4xl shirt and ridiculously tight shorts (they were all I had) and I just decided I didn't care what people thought, which is totally unlike me. Soon you won't care either. :smile:
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was extremely self-conscious until I got to week 5, the first time I ran an uninterrupted mile (actually 2) in my life. After that I realized a couple of things 1) Nobody is watching me. 2) Only 15% of the US population can do what I am doing. If the remaining 85% are watching, they ought to be taking notes.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Go to your local high school or college and run on the track. It is safer than the roads for a newbie and you will find other walkers and runners there.
  • EDS_Niki
    EDS_Niki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've recently downloaded the c25k app and was super excited to start trying to run, until this morning when I actually attempted it (somewhere I thought was secluded) and cars kept going past me etc and I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it made me get to the point I thought I was going to cry with embarrassment and I quit. So for those that have been running for a while, how did you get past that initial embarrassment? I live in a tiny village where everyone knows everything so I can't even tell myself that these are people I'm never going to see again.

Just think you're running they're sitting in their cars !

Well done you for getting out there don't let anyone put you down. You go girl !! :smiley:

• Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are are own worst critic. You may think that everyone is watching you in their cars laughing and judging you but in reality it is more like the opposite. When I see someone running regardless of size I think to myself, I really need to do that or I don't think about it at all. You have to start somewhere. I am considered a "big girl" and I run but you know what at least I am doing something about it. This whole weight loss, eating healthy, exercising deal is truly a mental thing more than physical. Focus internally on why you feel this way and seek to overcome it. Its not them that is judging you, yourself. Strive to have positive thoughts in your noggin and let those rule your thoughts instead of those negative ones like the ones where you believe people are judging you.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Running is how I lost all my weight. The first day I started out I could not run even 2 driveways. 2014 I completed 2 half marathons. Don't think about anyone else. You are doing this for yourself! Here is my before and after I owe to running. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

IMG_0416.jpg
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before. It pertains to gym embarrassment, but I think that it applies just as well to running.

https://stilettosanddumbbells.wordpress.com/2014/11/17/does-gymtimidation-really-exist/
  • loveyhowellthethird
    Options
    YGG! Forget what other folks think, say etc. Stay motivated, you'll be surprised at where you'll be a month from now. Good luck!
  • RhinoForLife
    RhinoForLife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ignore 'em, don't let the thought of the others judging you put you off running.

Is there a Parkrun near you, google it. It's a 5km run on a Saturday morning and totally free. It is fully supportive and aimed at everyone trying to get fitter. Those taking part range from semi-professional runners all the way to people who are starting out and running a bit and walking a bit, you don't have to run it all. Everyone taking part is made to feel welcomed and cheered on, it would be a great motivation. Maybe go to Parkrun one Saturday and just see one in action. Or is there a local running club that has complete beginners classes. Running with a club is fantastic motivation to keep running.

But my first point stands, ignore the negative thoughts and kick *kitten*!
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    You just have to get out there and do it! And know that you are most likely inspiring others to get out there and run too.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this kind of thing is something you will have to deal with if you make the decision to exercise. People can understand going to the drive thru every day, but for some reason a commitment to exercise is weird. I walk up and down the office steps if it's raining and I can't go for a run over my lunch break. People laugh, not in a mean way, but they still laugh. I don't care. At some level you have to adopt an attitude of, "well, I'm going to do this no matter what people say." It will get easier. I like other people's ideas of getting a treadmill or running on a track or at a gym. There is also an essay that I've read on MFP, maybe you can find it, about a fat girl running and how awe inspiring she was for other runners.
  • khop18
    khop18 Posts: 6
    Options

I used to feel the same way. In reality, most of those people are thinking "Good for you!", rather than making fun of you. Best advice I can give is to stick with it! Eventually, it gets easier, and it'll feel so good you won't care what the people in those cars are thinking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've recently downloaded the c25k app and was super excited to start trying to run, until this morning when I actually attempted it (somewhere I thought was secluded) and cars kept going past me etc and I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run.

Well done on getting out there.

I was out last night and passed someone clearly doing C25K. As a runner my first though was good effort.

People see runners, they have no idea where we are in our session, and they only see us briefly. They can't distinguish whether you're on the fourth of eight one minute intervals, or after 9 miles of hard trail.

• pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I drive by someone who is out of shape and struggling to run, it;s pretty inspiring to me. It instantly makes me regret whatever crap I last ate, and the sitting on my couch I've been doing. It provides a kick of inspiration to get back out there and try harder myself. Thank you!

Also, ditto whoever said that you can't tell if someone is at the beginning or end of their run. In my mind, you must've just finished a solid 5 miler, which I can't do :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I can 100% understand your position. It's easy for people to say not to think about it, but you can't help how you are wired.

I started off only running once it was dark, when I knew people couldn't see me clearly on our dimly lit streets. Two things happened in parallel; firstly over the course of a few weeks I got a bit more confident as my capability grew. Secondly I started paying attention to runners whilst out driving and I realised two things:

1) they come in all shapes, sizes, styles and ability and my mental reaction to each and every sight was "good on you" and "well done for getting out there"
    2) that until I started running I never paid any attention to people out pounding the footpath. I certainly wasn't laughing at them.

So it is true, no one is looking at someone running and mocking them. They're either ignoring you or admiring you.

Stick with it. It's a very rewarding activity. I'm very proud of the example I've set for my kids by getting out there and sticking with it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Just go do it. You shouldn't worry what other people think. You will get the reward for your effort. Good Luck on your journey.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!! I was in your shoes last year when I started trying to run. I walk/run at our local park and was so afraid I would see someone I knew and they would think I didn't have any business trying to run. I finally was able to get past that and this weekend I was able to run my first complete mile, building up a little at a time. Now on to my next goal of running the complete distance around the lake, a little over 1.25 miles.