beginning running.... how do you get past the embarrasment?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I pass someone walking or running in my car... I'm thinking "Damn, I wish I had the motivation!"

My daughter and I got lots of attention from a walk this summer. While we were at it, we were picking up discarded bottles and litter along the route. We got honks and waves. With some discussion we decided the people were cheering us on.

Running with my group at the Running Room was a big boost. They were so helpful and supportive. I learned from them that runners everywhere look out for each other. Don't be surprised if a fellow runner gives you a wave one of these days.

I have been so consistent running in my neighbourhood, I'm sure I am picking up some "Damn, I wish" vibes from my neighbours. My son-in-law gave me a high-five as I passed at the bus stop.

At this point I have enough success under my belt that I'm going for it no matter what.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now, there are haters out there.
    Jackie.jpeg

http://www.blisstree.com/2012/08/03/fitness/triathlete-gets-fat-shamed-becomes-even-more-inspiring-937/

It takes a special kind of determination to keep on going.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I can understand your embarrassment because I have the same thoughts creep in my head when I am jogging and a car drives by. I started C25K as well. Keep going, screw the little voice in your head and focus on breathing, put on your headphones and jam out, think of your form, most importantly, tell yourself how awesome you are for challenging yourself!

The people driving by are most of the time too consumed in whatever they have going on to even notice you. If some jerk off has to take the time out of their day to think or say something negative about you then they are a miserable person and probably hate their life so much they need to put others down.

I jog early in the morning, it's still dark out, less people up, less cars driving by, and people are probably still half asleep to notice me. I like to wear a baseball cap too. I run in the dark, but I do not wear dark clothing because I don't want to be invisible where someone may run me over. Reflectors or bright colors.

Since being on my own fitness journey I notice people running and no matter who they are/shape/size/age I am inspired. "If they can, I can" is what I think.

Good luck on your journey!
  • britthams
    Options
    Honey, THEY are in cars... Probably going to McDonalds for a 2,000 calorie meal. They are in no position to be laughing at you or judging you. You should be laughing at them. When you start feeling like this, remember that you're going to look amazing and WAY more fit than the fat slugs in the cars driving by you!

Way to go girl! Just keep swimming!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always have admired people that are taking action to lose weight or get healthy. I must admit that I had the same fear when I started, a guy with a fifty pound beer gut. At age 52 after one of my kids asked "when is it due" I had enough. I knew while running I couldn't cover up my belly but decided I must get started. Between Fit Bit, Aria scale, diet change, this site (MFP) and running I did it. It was so dramatic that I have had customers that knew me well mistake me for a new employee. Forget the morons out there and be proud that your taking action. You will enjoy the results.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My first thought upon seeing a fat person run is "good for them". My first thought upon seeing a fit person run is "damn. they look good. I hope I look that good one day" haha.

What do you think about when you see a heavy person run?

Have fun running! And if your embarassment detracts from your enjoyment of the workout, consider going for evening runs (like 8pm, when it's dark, which is what my roommate did) or going to the gym at not-peak hours (like 4am on a Saturday) to sort of get more comfortable with the environment and your routine. :)

When I was heavier, I was a bit blatantly in-your-face about my heaviness (as you can see from the pics). I tucked my shirt into my pants (because I was more worried about it bouncing up and showing my stomach). I wore two pairs or shorts (because the first pair rode up) as opposed to pants and I wore tank tops when it was hot- with my awesomely flabby and pale arms on display. I told myself that if people were going to laugh at me at least I could control what they were laughing at. My (now ex) boyfriend was embarrassed by the shirt-tucking, but the more comfortable you get with running, the easier it is to say "*kitten* it" and do your own thing. :) Keep trying! Don't give up!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Someone said "you can't help how you're wired" and I have to disagree with that. The mind is extremely dynamic and we can change a huge bunch of thought patterns. While it is nice that many offer more consolation type of support, my earlier comments were posted with the purpose to dig deeper to see patterns of behaviour in an attempt to eventually grow as a person.

It is true that feelings are what they are and we can't change them simply because we decide to so. But from self-reflection and understanding change can grow. It is evident from several replies that such a process has happened, perhaps not consciously in each case, but still.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It was seeing an overweight person run that inspired me to start C25K. Someone is thanking you right now for being an inspiration.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When you're driving and you see someone running, what do you think? Personally, I think "that's what I should be doing!" no matter what size the person is. If I even think anything at all. As many people on this said, most drivers are just going about their business and won't even notice.

That said, I get self conscious when I'm running outside on the road as well. I prefer being on the bike path near my house. There's something about being passed by other runners, even when they're clearly more athletic than I am, that I prefer over being passed by cars, and I can't explain why! So maybe that feeling won't totally disappear, but you'll get used to it and realize that getting out there is more important than what anyone else thinks!
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it made me get to the point I thought I was going to cry with embarrassment and I quit. So for those that have been running for a while, how did you get past that initial embarrassment?

I was called fatboy by people in passing cars. I kept running. Now I run marathons and lost over 80 pounds.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Contrary to pupular belief- this isn't about you- and not everyone spends their days laughing at you- why? because we are all just as selfish as you are- which means we are thinking about yourselves.

not you.

stop over thinking it and go run.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    Hey some quick solutions
    • Wear army surplus camo, it's designed to make it harder for people to see you.
    • Run at night; be sure to wear pure black from head to toe, wraparound sunglasses and a hat for that additional anonymity
    • Find places where there are no other people, and run there. You know, middle of the woods at midnight, that kinda stuff.
    • Consult this video. Specifically at 1:02. This is all that matters about running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7lt0CYwHg
    • Stop worrying about what other people are thinking about you. They're not. They're thinking about them.

Run at night and wear pitch black clothing!!!! Recipe for getting knocked down that and getting injured. Poster who asked initial question ignore this.

pretty sure you missed the point. best comment. awesome video.

• radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just another person who started running in public at 320 lbs+ here. Yeah, I guess it can feel embarrassing, but I'm over it. The way I see it, I'm doing something good for myself and it is totally FOR MYSELF. Everyone else can really suck it as far as I'm concerned, especially the "haters" and "jokers" who obviously don't have a life if they get their jollies from making fun of someone who is making an effort. I've done C25K multiple times over the past few years, and all at over 300 pounds. I don't have advice on how to get over putting your body out there; I just know that I decided not to care what anyone else thought. As a counter to some of the bad things that have happened to people, I once had a lady come up to me outside her house and say how she'd seen me running many times and was really inspired by me – and she was of "regular" size. No judgement at all, only praise and encouragement. Think of how many people out there might be thinking the same thing. :) Just get out there and do it, and BE PROUD of your efforts! xoxo
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I see someone out there, huffing and puffing, I think "Oh wow! There's another one of us, welcome to the running family! :D Ignore the barking lab down at the end of the street, she's really a cream puff who's just ticked she can't come and run with you. Oh, and watch out for the teenager on XYY street, he is always texting instead of driving. . .I really need to talk to his momma about that. But welcome to the cult, anyway. I remember when I first started, it was soooo cool!"

Seriously, just by getting out there and trying you are doing better than most people. If they have any bad thoughts about you, they're hypocrites and/or *kitten* and you really don't shouldn't find any relevance their invalid, nasty opinions anyway.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    Hey some quick solutions
    • Wear army surplus camo, it's designed to make it harder for people to see you.
    • Run at night; be sure to wear pure black from head to toe, wraparound sunglasses and a hat for that additional anonymity
    • Find places where there are no other people, and run there. You know, middle of the woods at midnight, that kinda stuff.
    • Consult this video. Specifically at 1:02. This is all that matters about running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7lt0CYwHg
    • Stop worrying about what other people are thinking about you. They're not. They're thinking about them.

Run at night and wear pitch black clothing!!!! Recipe for getting knocked down that and getting injured. Poster who asked initial question ignore this.

Ever heard of reflective materials to put on top of black clothing? What a non-creative response.

Yes but the above person didn't include that. If they had, great advice. As they have not, dangerous advice.

I was quoting you, not the earlier poster...

Now I know why I don't comment in the threads.
    cuz it's hard to do right? lol.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    if anyone even notices you running I would imagine more people think 'good on her' rather than laughing.. if they do laugh, who cares, Id feel sorry for them and be proud that I'm out running and getting fitter and healthier
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't look like this, you'll be fine.

Running_deviant.gif

Focus on handling your workout, not how others act. You'll probably be less frustrated and more empowered that way.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Don't give a *kitten* what anyone thinks! Everyone has their own demons and their own insecurities! IF people are actually laughing, they are just deflecting their own insecurities by focusing on you. Meaning they are *kitten*! don't worry. focus on your health!

this, thanks for saving me the typing
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Girl you just gotta run past it. Some people may be watching, most aren't. I've had the same insecurities in the past. You know what most people are thinking? "You go girl." If they are thinking anything else, they are just people with ugly hearts. Remember you wont get anywhere if you care so much about what people think. Always walk as if you deserve to be exactly where you are.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chances are very slim that anybody is paying attention, and if they are, it's because they want to be running too! I'm a runner, and when I drive past people running (which is all I see, a person running and I don't notice size or pace) I'm usually just bummed that that person is running and I'm not.

I think people are mostly paying too much attention to whatever they are doing to notice you running on the side of the road in any kind of negative way. And if they do, their bad attitude is their problem, not yours.

Be proud and run on, girlfriend. You're doing great.