Restarting | 75lbs to lose and looking for some new friends :)

Options

Replies

• JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm a shortie too. 5'3" B)
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) Good luck to everyone!!

It is seriously so cool to see how many people come out to support each other on these forums. Honestly, that alone is awe-inspiring to me. Added!
    Hi Everybody! I'm fairly new to MFP, and completely new to the friend aspect. How do we add folks?
    I'm a 58 year old overweight dietitian, so my driving force is to practice what I preach.

I broke my back in 2012, recently had back surgery in Oct 2014, so I've not been able to work out much. I'm just now back to walking.

Anyway, would appreciate learning how to "add" folks and participate in the forums.

Cindy, RD in sunny CA

That is a wicked drive to have, and pretty cool as well because I'd guess you have a lot more knowledge to get you going than people who are just beginning for the first time.

Adding people is really easy: just make sure you're logged in, click on someone's username and it'll direct you to their profile. Click the "Add as Friend" and if you want you can send a message along with it (or not, it's optional). Then they add you back and done!
    ahammer77 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me. I have about 75 pounds to lose as well.

Done! I'm trying hard not to be intimidated by the number. 75lbs feels daunting sometimes and then invigorating the rest of the time. Like some Herculean challenge I need to overcome. If only there would be masses of people roaring and cheering the second I hit goal XD
    lisanzama wrote: »
    Feel free to add me too. I'm restarting as well. I lost about 50 lbs in 2007 and after a foot injury in 2010 slowly gained it all back. I'm 3 lbs into my journey and would to have friends along the way for the ride.

Sounds great! Nice thing about having lost that much weight is you've done it before, you know you can do it again, I think that's an awesome plus to have :)
    I sent you a request. Another geeky girl here.. :)

Geek girls ftw! What are your favourite flavours of geek? PC gaming, RPG's, horror anything, sci-fi/fantasy novels, comic books (Batman + Fables), ummm... zombie everything, Anime... oh lord... I think my problem is I'm constantly adding to my geekery. It never ends haha

• FitGeekery
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    FitGeekery wrote: »

Grats on the previous success, that's a major achievement :D Randomly, I'm always curious as to how everyone comes up with their goal weights. Maybe that's mostly because I've -never- been healthy or fit, so it's really a shot in the dark for me till I get closer hehe

I pick my goal weight based on the size of my jeans. :smiley: Not very scientific, but I know how much I have to weigh to be in a 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 and I just shoot for that. I gained 25 lbs after I stopped nursing my last baby in 2012, took off 30 in 2013 and have put about 12 back on. I restarted my goal from my current weight and just working on getting back into my sixes. This time I'm not going down to 1200 a day, though, trying to be more realistic so I don't rebound if I have some cake and a beer on a Saturday night. Best of luck, feel free to add!

Aaah that's cool that you have a reference to work from, I totally don't LOL Maybe I've fit into a size 8 before, but maybe I was 12 at the time haha Yeah I totally appreciate being more realistic about it; better to lose at a slower pace and enjoy a slice of cake when you want than deprive yourself and eat ALL THE CAKES EVER! I'm totally not talking from experience, of course >.>

Me too, feel free to add me fellow posters....I have got to get a handle on this! I am 35 mother of 2 and would like to say its baby weight.....but she is now 10 years old! Heaviest I have ever been and miserable!

HT 5'1"
    HW 190.2
    CW 189
    GW 120ish

Well, she's STILL your baby so... does that count? It could count LOL And grats to you on wanting to pull yourself out of your misery, goodness knows I was content to wallow in mine for... just way too long XD You can do this, and it's the best gift you can give your kids really, a healthy mum who'll be around that much longer <3
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My story is similar but I lost ten pounds per month for four months. I got down to 198 which was a very proud moment. I did not lose any weight for three months so I stopped exercising.......I have just started back this week and I weighed in at 245. My goal is to lose ninety pounds just because 100 sounded high. I have interviewed a personal trainer and I begin next week with him. Wish me luck.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    jjnt007 wrote: »
    My story is similar but I lost ten pounds per month for four months. I got down to 198 which was a very proud moment. I did not lose any weight for three months so I stopped exercising.......I have just started back this week and I weighed in at 245. My goal is to lose ninety pounds just because 100 sounded high. I have interviewed a personal trainer and I begin next week with him. Wish me luck.

Grats on losing the weight to begin with! And I can appreciate choosing goals you're comfortable with. When I was at my highest of 225 I just went O.O and thought "... I need to lose the size of a preteen girl? Whuuut??" Suffice it to say it broke my brain lol Good luck with the trainer, they can be SUPER helpful and supportive when you find the right one :)
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Aaah that's cool that you have a reference to work from, I totally don't LOL Maybe I've fit into a size 8 before, but maybe I was 12 at the time haha Yeah I totally appreciate being more realistic about it; better to lose at a slower pace and enjoy a slice of cake when you want than deprive yourself and eat ALL THE CAKES EVER! I'm totally not talking from experience, of course >.>

I only figured out my jeans method once I started MFP a couple of years ago because I always refused to step on a scale. I was a lot heavier in my 20's and then I would get very skinny while breastfeeding - I never knew how much I weighed, though. And then as I lost the weight it took a while for me to realize I could fit into smaller clothes and I kept buying stuff that was too big. Anyway, once I started forcing myself to use the scale I kind of had a breakthrough. Like you said above, lose some of it and reevaluate - go try on jeans and find your reference points! :smile:
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I only figured out my jeans method once I started MFP a couple of years ago because I always refused to step on a scale. I was a lot heavier in my 20's and then I would get very skinny while breastfeeding - I never knew how much I weighed, though. And then as I lost the weight it took a while for me to realize I could fit into smaller clothes and I kept buying stuff that was too big. Anyway, once I started forcing myself to use the scale I kind of had a breakthrough. Like you said above, lose some of it and reevaluate - go try on jeans and find your reference points! :smile:

Yeah I think a big part of success this time around is actually paying attention to my progress: lbs, inches, taking all the pics. For myself it's about becoming more aware of my body, how it feels, how it fits in space, what it actually looks like. I think a lot of weight gain happened because I never paid attention to myself or my body until BAM! Saw a pic of myself and thought "... dude... that's ME?! I look like that?? How'd that happen and I never even noticed?!" LOL
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you have more or less to lose than me; anyone that's positive and invested in changing their lifestyle is more than welcome! So if you'd like a blunt but cheerful and geeky MFP buddy feel free to add me :)

I'd suggest also looking for MFP'ers who have met their goals, for all the obvious reasons.
  • ktmac81
    ktmac81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lbs a couple years ago and slid off the wagon as life took over my brain (and gained back 15lbs in the process). So I'm picking up where I left off, planning to lose the last 75lbs+ and am hoping to pick up some new active MFP pals for added support!

A little about me:

Height: 5'4"
    HW: 225lbs
    CW: 205lbs
    GW: 130lbs (ish)

I'll mostly be eating whole foods and home cooked meals, but chips and ice cream might pop up occasionally, as long as I can fit it into my daily goal.

I also plan on working out 3-6 days a week, just the old Power 90 workout system to get me kickstarted. Eventually I'd like to try P90X and Insanity with the ultimate fitness goal of learning archery and how to swordfight at a local sword fighting school (did I mention I'm a big ol' nerd & gaming geek?).

Doesn't matter if you have more or less to lose than me; anyone that's positive and invested in changing their lifestyle is more than welcome! So if you'd like a blunt but cheerful and geeky MFP buddy feel free to add me :)

• mystiqueunique38
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I'm 38, stay home mom of 1 five year old boy. 5 foot 3, teetering around 200 pounds and desperate to get about 80 of those pounds off forever! Been failing for years, hoping making friends with the same goal will make the difference and we can all enjoy success once and for all.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    I'd suggest also looking for MFP'ers who have met their goals, for all the obvious reasons.

Thanks, that's actually a really good idea! And considering how much I lurk in the Success forums... hehe
    Feel free to add me too! I'm 38, stay home mom of 1 five year old boy. 5 foot 3, teetering around 200 pounds and desperate to get about 80 of those pounds off forever! Been failing for years, hoping making friends with the same goal will make the difference and we can all enjoy success once and for all.

Absolutely, I think that's maybe a slight difference in my mindset this time around; I want to make these changes PERMANENT, not temporary. I'm willing to struggle and take the time and do the work if it means I won't have to have this epic battle again lol I think surrounding yourself with like-minded people really helps to keep you inspired and focused :)
  • melissakolpin
    melissakolpin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    everyone seems so awesome in this thread! :D I AM GOING TO stick with it this time! I'm 5'7" and approximately 80 lbs to lose. My fitness pal is a terrific tool, and I am aiming to log in DAILY! Sometimes that's all it takes to stay on track. :) Best of luck to you all! Feel free to add me! LOVE new friends!
  • jemmer74
    jemmer74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can add me :) I have lost 90 lbs, fell off of exercise a bit not bad but enough! Havent gained back really but still have a stubborn 15lbs or so to go and I plan on logging in here every dang day!!! Good luck and where there is will there is definitely a way!!
  • dempseymom4
    dempseymom4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I finally decided to tackle my weight last year after 16 years of being over weight. I am 38 with four kids and my youngest is 9.
    Height 5'4.5"
    SW 258
    CW 178.8
    1st GW 175
    2nd GW 147 (at this weight I will officially be in the normal weight category)
    Final GW 130lbs

I learned that I have to split up my goals because if not they seem unachievable. I work full time but go to the gym everyday during lunch. I would love more friends on here especially in the same journey I am.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always need new friends and getting back on the wagon this week. Feel free to add me.
  • childhoodshour00
    childhoodshour00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would love you to add me. sounds like we are in similar boats. I've lost the weight before but i let it all come back and THEN some... I live in alaska now. I have 88 more pounds to lose... ugh...
  • KazzBeDoinIt
    KazzBeDoinIt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ADD ME! Love support & supporting! :D
  • w0den
    w0den Posts: 84
    Options
    Oh goodness! Me too! I think I've lost the weight 3 other times! Here we go again :)
  • coughlintracy33
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I love the motivation and positive comments! :)
  • Kendie1
    Options
    I would also love to be added by any and all. I'm in the boat of also having lost, then gained back. No excuses here - I just got lazy. :\ Was working with a personal trainer at the time and found it very helpful! I'm a 38 yo work-at-home mom. Food is too accessible, so unfortunately, need my whole family to be on board, otherwise the food stares me in the face all. day. long. Trying exercise mostly on my own this time, as I want this to be a change I can sustain for good.

SW 240
    CW 238 (was down to 202 in mid-2014)
    GW 165 (though I'm setting mini-goals along the way - like losing 20lbs by end of March for Disney vacay!)
    Height 5'8"