Why the hate on Sugar?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like it. I don't think it adds anything to my food besides a sweet flavor. I used to have a wicked sweet tooth -- I'd sugar my sugared cereals, get my coffees light and sweet -- and after many years of not adding sugar to anything and reading labels for added sugar I don't miss it. I can definitely tell when it's added to something like packaged bread and pasta sauces. IMO there's just no need for it. If I want sugar then I'll have something sweet. I don't need it in my food because someone thinks it makes it "taste better". Sorry, not to me.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    xmarye wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients. They're talking added sugars, not sugar in fruits. It's a nudge in the direction of "eat nutritious foods."

I don't agree with the "Only eat what you can pronounce" philosophy. I can pronounce a lot of things I don't want to eat. What if someone cannot pronounce "raspberry"? Raspberries don't become unhealthy because they can't pronounce it, KWIM?

That saying applies to the ingredients list. If you can't pronounce most of the ingredients AND you have no idea what it is, it is a good idea to avoid it. And I totally agree with this!
    I agree as well.
    Read more- comment less.
    Ok, in relation to your previous comment about becoming educated about it, it is something that I do with certain things. Once I learn more about certain ingredients, then it makes me decide if it's something I think is good or not.

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think sugar is processed as fat in the body. i THINK. im not totaly sure. also, have you ever realized how *kitten* you feel when you eat too much sugar? you feel horrible. you get hyper and then you crash and feel bad. as for your question, i think experts say to eat sugar in moderation because a lot of foods with sugar in them are also high in fat and calories. some arent. i would just eat it in moderation and you should be fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients. They're talking added sugars, not sugar in fruits. It's a nudge in the direction of "eat nutritious foods."

I don't agree with the "Only eat what you can pronounce" philosophy. I can pronounce a lot of things I don't want to eat. What if someone cannot pronounce "raspberry"? Raspberries don't become unhealthy because they can't pronounce it, KWIM?

That saying applies to the ingredients list. If you can't pronounce most of the ingredients AND you have no idea what it is, it is a good idea to avoid it. And I totally agree with this!

19d21f4tf3parjpg.jpg

I can't pronounce most of these words or what they are. So bananas are bad???...or any fruit for that matter.

These type of smart alleck answers alway annoy me. Depending on which dictionary you use, this list may or may not be a list of ingredients. But by the most common definition and the obvious one being used here, the chemical make-up of the banana is not what is meant by 'ingredient'.

If you were listing the ingredients for a banana smoothie, would you include that list? Or would list 'banana' as the ingredient?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kissa714 wrote: »
    I think sugar is processed as fat in the body. i THINK. im not totaly sure. also, have you ever realized how *kitten* you feel when you eat too much sugar? you feel horrible. you get hyper and then you crash and feel bad. as for your question, i think experts say to eat sugar in moderation because a lot of foods with sugar in them are also high in fat and calories. some arent. i would just eat it in moderation and you should be fine.

Sugar is not processed directly into fat in the body*. You feel crappy when you have too much sugar because you aren't meeting the other needs your body has.

*ETA: This is in a calorie deficit. I'm sure someone would challenge my claims if I left that out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's the most ludicrous idea ever.

Just educate yourself instead of avoiding things you don't know how to pronounce.

I hate when people say this. It's just so ignorant.

It is ignorant, but I think that's the point. Not everyone wants to spend hours of their life researching food additives and their safety. So they choose to just not eat them or eat less of them. It's really not a major hardship for many people to get most of their intake from whole foods.

I just ate a yogurt (plain, organic, milk from grassfed cows). The ingredients list out various "live and active cultures" that I am glad I don't have to read aloud, since I'd likely mispronounce them. Would it be sensible for me to stop eating this yogurt unless I have the desire to learn how to pronounce these words or what the differences are between the cultures identified? Is the yogurt healthier for someone with more knowledge of cultures than I have? Or should I limit myself to the yogurt I sometimes get from a local farm (although I think even their jar has similar information on it, but let's pretend not). Obviously the farm yogurt has similar difficult-to-pronounce cultures, but because they aren't identified, is the yogurt healthier?

None of that makes any sense at all to me.

On this one I'm with Kalikel.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

19d21f4tf3parjpg.jpg

I can't pronounce most of these words or what they are. So bananas are bad???...or any fruit for that matter.

These type of smart alleck answers alway annoy me. Depending on which dictionary you use, this list may or may not be a list of ingredients. But by the most common definition and the obvious one being used here, the chemical make-up of the banana is not what is meant by 'ingredient'.

If you were listing the ingredients for a banana smoothie, would you include that list? Or would list 'banana' as the ingredient?

It just shows how a little logic needs to be applied sometimes.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

19d21f4tf3parjpg.jpg

Exactly! This is what I meant when I said it's not hard to understand what was meant by the person who first made the point.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

19d21f4tf3parjpg.jpg

Good!! ;)

Well it annoys me when people come on here and say don't eat foods, that have ingrediants you can't pronounce!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just educate yourself instead of avoiding things you don't know how to pronounce.

It is ignorant, but I think that's the point. Not everyone wants to spend hours of their life researching food additives and their safety. So they choose to just not eat them or eat less of them. It's really not a major hardship for many people to get most of their intake from whole foods.

I just ate a yogurt (plain, organic, milk from grassfed cows). The ingredients list out various "live and active cultures" that I am glad I don't have to read aloud, since I'd likely mispronounce them. Would it be sensible for me to stop eating this yogurt unless I have the desire to learn how to pronounce these words or what the differences are between the cultures identified? Is the yogurt healthier for someone with more knowledge of cultures than I have? Or should I limit myself to the yogurt I sometimes get from a local farm (although I think even their jar has similar information on it, but let's pretend not). Obviously the farm yogurt has similar difficult-to-pronounce cultures, but because they aren't identified, is the yogurt healthier?

You should eat whatever you want to eat for whatever reason you want. If you want to skip the yogurt because you can't pronounce the ingredients, then you should skip it. If you don't, then don't.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

19d21f4tf3parjpg.jpg

It just shows how a little logic needs to be applied sometimes.

I fail to see the logic of mixing terms. Find me a banana with that list of ingredients on the label and perhaps I'll change my mind.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why challenges made to a certain point have to go to an extreme. This is elementary stuff.

as elementary as eating more and lifting more to gain muscle mass..???
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    funny-celebrity-pictures-setting-myself-up-for-a-sugar-explosion-why-do-you-ask.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You should eat whatever you want to eat for whatever reason you want. If you want to skip the yogurt because you can't pronounce the ingredients, then you should skip it. If you don't, then don't.
    Maybe ask someone to help you pronounce words you don't understand, just for future reference. Some of those big words are actually life saving nutrients. j/k

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like it. I don't think it adds anything to my food besides a sweet flavor. I used to have a wicked sweet tooth -- I'd sugar my sugared cereals, get my coffees light and sweet -- and after many years of not adding sugar to anything and reading labels for added sugar I don't miss it. I can definitely tell when it's added to something like packaged bread and pasta sauces. IMO there's just no need for it. If I want sugar then I'll have something sweet. I don't need it in my food because someone thinks it makes it "taste better". Sorry, not to me.

Re: "If I want sugar then I'll have something sweet"

Yes, me too, but sometimes these "something sweet" things (like my homemade apple pie, or some ice cream or the aforementioned really good cannoli) involve adding sugar to them, and I see no reason why that makes those foods bad or something to be avoided. Due to the overall mix of ingredients in them (not mainly the sugar) they are high calorie and should be eaten in moderation, of course, but I see no reason why the sugar means they should be avoided beyond that.

I personally dislike most packaged bread, would never eat a store-bought pasta sauce (barbaric), and have never enjoyed adding sugar to hot beverages or oatmeal, but some people like those things, and the amount of sugar involved probably makes little difference from a health or calorie perspective. I'm all for learning to like things less sweet if you are inclined that way, of course, but it's not necessary if the sugar in those things does matter to you. To use an analogous example, I don't care about sugar that much, but if I had to start cooking without salt it would bum me out. Not because I think I like things super salty, but because I learned to cook with salt as part of the process and I really believe it makes a real difference in the way the finished food comes together.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hmm is there a popcorn scare oh with hell IDC gets it anyways this is interesting

Don't worry, these threads are a daily occurrence but most get mod nuked eventually. Wait till the GIFs start showing up then you know it won't be long.
    Lol

Like this?

58de5c749c440e3bd741f9872d4f17281d9ce989c925dacbea4cb2003272e223.jpg

Having said that, I will be closing this thread. Between the hijacking and attacking and everything else that makes my head hurt.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

This discussion has been closed.