I have a date at a restaurant -HELP

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    People answered the question though...and then continued the discussion.

I actually don't think this thread got too far off topic.

JoRocka wrote: »
    I'd have to say we stayed fairly on point- she had her date- we had a wrap up and we had a relevant side bar discussion on dating and how what you order impacts- or shall I say- CAN impact future dates.

I'd say for MFP- that's a win right there- with the exception of people coming in 3 pages later giving suggestions not realize the date's frigging over.

So, I have to revise my rule of T&A about threads?

Crap.

i-has-a-sad-cat-graphic.jpg

Wut?

Ha-Ha we're off topic!

I win!!!!!!

success-kid-meme-generator-boom-delivered-the-win-c6a5e4.jpg

baw ha hua ha ha- no- I think you're theory on T and A threads is pretty spot on.

We had a long standing "thong thursday" thread on my sportbike forum that was extensive- and stayed on point-even after long periods of no posting... I think it's an excellent theory actually LOL
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    smoreault wrote: »
    Alright guys, I didn't order boring food. My choices were narrowed down because I don't eat much red meat. I didn't scare him off by ordering a salad with dressing on the side and being super picky about everything! I even had a beer - and boy was it ever amazing. Another date is scheduled so I think I didn't do so bad ! As you guys suggested, I relaxed and just ordered what I wanted instead of thinking about being healthy and losing weight. I focused on what was happening and had a great time! I'm making up for it today being a little more careful than usual with what I eat and staying a little longer on the treadmill. I guess that's what it's all about; finding a balance between living and enjoying food all while staying healthy, Thank you all for your suggestions and your support!
    Sounds like a good time! I'm happy for you. :)

IMO, a guy who gets bent out of shape and runs if you order a salad is a guy you want to keep on running. Fine on the Internet, but not in real life. Don't worry about what some guy thinks about your choice of food.

Order what you want. :)
  • When eating out enjoy your salad and bread when you meal comes cut it in half and eat the second portion for lunch or dinner the next day.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    baw ha hua ha ha- no- I think you're theory on T and A threads is pretty spot on.

Thanks, I knew someone would get "it". I think Minx is still confused though.

*googles "sportbikeforums + thong thread"*

<whistles>looking away<whistles>
  • JoRocka
    SBN: thong thursday..... you have to be a member I think to go in there though. ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Alright guys, I didn't order boring food. My choices were narrowed down because I don't eat much red meat. I didn't scare him off by ordering a salad with dressing on the side and being super picky about everything! I even had a beer - and boy was it ever amazing. Another date is scheduled so I think I didn't do so bad ! As you guys suggested, I relaxed and just ordered what I wanted instead of thinking about being healthy and losing weight. I focused on what was happening and had a great time! I'm making up for it today being a little more careful than usual with what I eat and staying a little longer on the treadmill. I guess that's what it's all about; finding a balance between living and enjoying food all while staying healthy, Thank you all for your suggestions and your support!

IMO, a guy who gets bent out of shape and runs if you order a salad is a guy you want to keep on running. Fine on the Internet, but not in real life. Don't worry about what some guy thinks about your choice of food.

Meh. That's not really fair.

People have different interests in life. For some, food is one of them. I won't date a picky eater, but that doesn't make me a bad person. It just makes us not a right fit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

People have different interests in life. For some, food is one of them. I won't date a picky eater, but that doesn't make me a bad person. It just makes us not a right fit.

And why does ordering a salad make someone a picky eater exactly? Sometimes I do crave a good salad.
  • PRMinx
    Francl27 wrote: »

And why does ordering a salad make someone a picky eater exactly? Sometimes I do crave a good salad.

I love salad. I eat it every day in fact.

Like I said in my previous posts, if I was at an awesome steak place and my date ordered something like a caeser salad, I'd definitely raise an eyebrow.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Like I said in my previous posts, if I was at an awesome steak place and my date ordered something like a caeser salad, I'd definitely raise an eyebrow.

Ok but why is everyone assuming it's a Caesar salad? What would be wrong with ordering a steak salad at a steak place? Heck in a lot of restaurants, their salads are more 'fancy' than just a steak and veggies...
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    I can't believe this hasn't devolved into a series of stock photo posts of women laughing while eating salad

ec121d4b6fdfd85242e57cda8ab1d263.jpg

For further research:
    http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/

• PRMinx

Ok but why is everyone assuming it's a Caesar salad? What would be wrong with ordering a steak salad at a steak place? Heck in a lot of restaurants, their salads are more 'fancy' than just a steak and veggies...

I don't know. I was following the thread. Someone else brought up a ceaser salad. Relax. It's really going to be ok. Wow.
  • JoRocka

I think that's the point. it's a big deal if you go on a date to you know- salad works- and your date orders a salad.

If you go to a steak house- and your date orders the most anemic and vanilla of all salads- where there could possible be way beefier (pun totally intended) options- then yeah- it's going to be an eye brow raiser.

The notion that someone is trying to eat a certain way and can't enjoy their food being to up tight on a date to enjoy it- nope nope. I'm not dating- my BF are 4 years in and pretty much we just have to sort out the how to's of the I dos'... we still go on dates- and I still make it a point to try to keep room so I can enjoy and not sit there over a sad sack of lettuce leafs making him feel bad.

And as PMX said no one is saying salads are bad- but context like everything else matters.

Salad at salad works- normal.
    salad at a steak house for a date dinner? not normal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

That's fine. And it's fine if some guy doesn't want to date women who eat salad or a woman doesn't want to date a guy who drinks beer or whatever.

However, women should not be ordering a burger when they'd rather get the salad because they're worried about whether their date will approve of their food choices.

If someone can't abide salads or beer or whathaveyou, they need to find people who won't eat/drink the offensive foods because they agree on the subject. If it's that big an issue, honestly, if just ask before going, "Hey, you don't drink beer/eat salad, do you? Because I can't date someone who does that." It would save the trouble of finding out.

Nobody should be making food choices to please someone else. That will surely not work out in the end.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    I would order whatever sounds tastiest. Take half home if you need to. If you're in this for the long haul, you're going to have to figure out how to navigate restaurants and eat reasonable amounts of food you really enjoy. I eat chicken and veggies far too many nights a week to get it in a restaurant, I would at least enjoy the pizza and a beer... One night won't ruin all your hard work. (Oh, fair warning: odds are that no matter what you eat, you'll be up a pound or two tomorrow. There will be more sodium than usual in your food, and you will probably retain water. It will go away, so don't freak out!)

Exactly, I don't go over the top but if I go out I'm going to enjoy something tasty and slightly naughty that I don't cook at home.

I'm viewing this as a life style change not a diet so will indulge a little. I'm not going the rest of my life not eating chocolate cake etc
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    JD weatherspoons here have the calories on the menu, I enjoy grilled chicken breast burger and chips for 880 calories if out. It annoys my male friends if I start moaning about calories etc so I let myself go a little.
  • Eat what you think would taste best. Budget for it early in the day or you can come to terms with the idea that one meal is not going to ruin your weight loss efforts. When you accept that, your chances of succeeding long term will sky rocket.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Tits and *kitten* was mentioned several posts ago already, and the closest thing so far is a sporadic mention of chicken breast. I am disappoint.
  • PRMinx

That's fine. And it's fine if some guy doesn't want to date women who eat salad or a woman doesn't want to date a guy who drinks beer or whatever.

However, women should not be ordering a burger when they'd rather get the salad because they're worried about whether their date will approve of their food choices.

If someone can't abide salads or beer or whathaveyou, they need to find people who won't eat/drink the offensive foods because they agree on the subject. If it's that big an issue, honestly, if just ask before going, "Hey, you don't drink beer/eat salad, do you? Because I can't date someone who does that." It would save the trouble of finding out.

Nobody should be making food choices to please someone else. That will surely not work out in the end.

I think you are taking this to a level of personal where it really doesn't need to go. I really don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a twist.

The foods themselves aren't offensive. I eat salad all the time. But, if I'm at a nice restaurant with some awesome food choices and my date isn't into that kind of a meal (and orders an anemic salad as Jo said), it's probably not a relationship that's going to work out. That doesn't make my date wrong or offensive. It also doesn't make me a bad person.

All it means is that we don't share the same love of the culinary arts. No more, no less.

It's no different than loving to travel, only to find out your date won't leave the country. Obviously, it's not going to work.

Or loving fitness and wanting to share that, only to find out your date isn't into activity. Obviously, that's not going to work.

• PRMinx

I think that's the point. it's a big deal if you go on a date to you know- salad works- and your date orders a salad.

If you go to a steak house- and your date orders the most anemic and vanilla of all salads- where there could possible be way beefier (pun totally intended) options- then yeah- it's going to be an eye brow raiser.

The notion that someone is trying to eat a certain way and can't enjoy their food being to up tight on a date to enjoy it- nope nope. I'm not dating- my BF are 4 years in and pretty much we just have to sort out the how to's of the I dos'... we still go on dates- and I still make it a point to try to keep room so I can enjoy and not sit there over a sad sack of lettuce leafs making him feel bad.

And as PMX said no one is saying salads are bad- but context like everything else matters.

Salad at salad works- normal.
    salad at a steak house for a date dinner? not normal.

YES!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    If you are stressing that much about eating too much in social situations there might be other problems going on with you.

Seriously, just enjoy yourself. Have a burger if you want. Remember, you want to teach yourself to not overeat. This is a great way to learn how to enjoy yourself while not going overboard.