life after HCG = weight loss disaster, help!

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to link this thread whenever I see a HCG thread for support lol

It should be sticky'd to the top!
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you're low carb and high protein, you're not eating an actual fuel source (the protein just contributes to muscular health and satiety), which means your body will never expend more than it has to and your exercise won't benefit you.

If low carb suits you, try going low carb, high fat, medium protein - paleo lifestyle. Healthy, filling, natural foods and your body uses the fat as its fuel source. Then, when your dietary fat has run out, it will automatically switch to burning bodyfat.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    hey mods...wanna sticky this so pro-HCG peeps can check it out before they post a thread and get butthurt at the responses?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did you go to a nutritionist or a dietitian? There is often a big difference between the two. Nutritionists are by and large not regulated whereas a dietitian is an expert in food and nutrition and is nationally certified via examination.

Yep, yep--you can find qualified nutritionists, but you have to really look at their credentials/education.

http://eatrightdc.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It is seriously heartbreaking to see what people do to their bodies with this ****.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    While I do think talking to your doctor and a dietician is a good idea, I will also say that it takes time. My husband did HCG about 2 1/2 years ago. It took him about a year and a half after stopping it to get back to where he could lose weight in a healthy way. But definitely consult a dietician about what you should do now.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The advice about seeing a dietician is solid. I am sorry, OP.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi, what is MFP?

That's where you are. My Fitness Pal.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely talk to a dietician as well.

In terms of advice, I'd say to stop the "diet" for a month or so. Figure out your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) and eat at maintenance for a while. You might put on a couple more pounds but ultimately this is going to help your now-screwed-up metabolism in the long run. After about a month of eating at maintenance, eat at a 20% deficit. At this point you should start losing sensibly again.

Don't make the mistake of cutting calories even more in order to make up for the reduction in weight loss. If you'd like to give me your height/weight/calorie stats im happy to help you out.

^^ THIS!!

I'm in the same boat from a 'medically supervised' 'cookie' diet I did a while back. Same story and now I'm trying to reset my metabolism and follow the TDEE-20% plan.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Probably not what ya'll want to hear, but I am currently doing HCG, and have successfully completed a 20 day round of HCG previously. I take the drops, and I go to my personal dr. and get my weight/fat %/muscle mass/ect checked and I am just fine! No issues. I did not gain the weight back from the first time I did the program either. With your final phase to HCG you should be eating the same foods you were while you were doing the 500 calorie diet, just upping the intake to about 1200 calories a day! And after about a week of that, start adding cheese, pasta, bread, and sugars back in slowly! I'm sorry to hear ya'll had such a bad experience, but it really does work! It's not a gimmick, and I am no representative for anything! I am a college girl from Texas who has had a great success along with my fiancé on losing weight with this program!

And you got these drops . . . where? From a DOCTOR? Because they're not available legally, and the crap in the stores isn't HCG. There are BS products they CALL HCG, ridiculous "homeopathic" concoctions, but not real HCG. Either way, real or fake, it's a BS scam--you lose the weight because you're drastically reducing your caloric intake. That's all it is. The rest is crappy hype meant to lure folks in because everyone wants a magic fix..

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Probably not what ya'll want to hear, but I am currently doing HCG, and have successfully completed a 20 day round of HCG previously. I take the drops, and I go to my personal dr. and get my weight/fat %/muscle mass/ect checked and I am just fine! No issues. I did not gain the weight back from the first time I did the program either. With your final phase to HCG you should be eating the same foods you were while you were doing the 500 calorie diet, just upping the intake to about 1200 calories a day! And after about a week of that, start adding cheese, pasta, bread, and sugars back in slowly! I'm sorry to hear ya'll had such a bad experience, but it really does work! It's not a gimmick, and I am no representative for anything! I am a college girl from Texas who has had a great success along with my fiancé on losing weight with this program!

I hate to tell you this, but you aren't taking HCG. Well, unless you're buying it illegally online, since the FDA banned it. Otherwise, whatever you're taking *is* just a gimmick and you've been duped into eating a dangerously low calorie diet. Womp womp.

Exactly this.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I rarely post on these topics but a coworker started her first rounds of HCG the same time I started my regimen. Here's how it' panned out so far...

Me (diet and exercise):
    Lost 12-15lbs
    Lost 3% body fat
    Reduced inches on my waist, bust, and arms
    Increase energy
    Better sleeping patterns
    Less anxiety

Those are just to name a few. Now I didn't bash her choice, just declined to join and she has kept me posted on her results.

Her (HCG)
    Gained 26lbs
    Hair has fallen out
    Severe panic attacks (possibly from the insomnia she's complained about)
    Stomach cramps
    Irregular bowel movements and inconsistent menstral cycles

So yeah, nasty stuff =/
  • FatIsNotGood4Me
    FatIsNotGood4Me Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, sorry, I just want to share that 2 women in my town were doing this diet and they both ended up in a Mental institution ... It seems their hormones went crazy and they lost it. I'd check with my doctor first before to start any diet program but that's just me. Good luck.
  • ajstacey
    ajstacey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Dad went on this HCG diet at Christmas, when he told me about just coffee for breakfast, special magic drops and only 500 calories a day I wanted to smack him?!? :noway: By the time he told me he had already lost about 20 lbs in 20 days, so he was SOLD on it and REFUSED to listen to me when I told him that he could be doing real damage to his body.
    He did manage to lose around 27 lbs in total over 35 or 45 days, and he claims to feel better than ever when on it.
    I'm watching him very skeptically to see if he gains it back, I think he's been able to keep it off......for now.
    I just don't want him to mess with his system too much, he's 73, over weight, diabetic, and had a stroke in the past.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just joined so I could write this post in your message boards. It seems like whenever i google "hcg" everyone only has positive things to say. I did four rounds of HCG over the course of 2 years. I started with about 15 lbs to lose, and then lost it on HCG, and gained back 20.... lost the 20 on round 2, but gained back 30! etc. etc. now i'm about 35 lbs over weight and even though I havent touched hcg in over a year, i am unable to lose weight!

I run, i do crossfit, I even paid 60/hr to go to a nutritionist to teach me how to eat properly -- which i do! I am low carb, high protein, multiple small meals a day.... but no matter what i do, i cant seem to lose weight. it is the most frustrating and defeating thing that i've ever gone through. especially because all of my friends and family have seen me lose and gain and lose and gain again and again. and not to mention how incredibly unhealthy this must be for my poor body to go through such weight fluctuations!

bottom line -- i need help. has anyone gone through this?? and what have you done to start losing again?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    It may be that your body is "figuring" out that your doing calorie deficit again and since it started with HCG, it may be resistant to calorie deficit of any type by slowing metabolic rate. I'd get checked by an endocrinologist to ensure your hormones are balanced and then possible get a metabolic test done.
    Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    STOP PLEASE. You're on a ride that has been done by many and usually ends up bad in the end. Doing this for 30 years, I've heard this same story in the beginning of every HCG "success". A year later, the same person is sobbing about how they can't get the weight off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennide
    jennide Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. I did one round of HCG & lost 27 lbs. I continued to eat only the food that I ate while on HCG, got back to the gym & still gained the 27 back plus another 30 making me bigger than I was than when I was pregnant!! Grrrrr... I should have known better when the doctor's office I pulled up to was a dentist office that charges up the A** for the HCG shots in the back office. On top of that, they told me it would be an additional $200 to do a 2nd round but when it came time for it, they said oh, no, that was wrong, it's an additional $600 to do the 2nd round. No way! So, like I said, I continued to eat the foods recommended while on HCG, just bigger portions & I was going to the gym, despite all this I still gained. I hate the body I have now & am trying very, very hard to get the pounds off again. I feel like I was betrayed by the HCG diet & totally ripped off by the "doctor" that sold it to me. Good luck to you!
  • xxDearyen
    xxDearyen Posts: 20
    Options
    I did one round of HCG and went from 110lbs to 90lbs (height: 5'0). All the weight (plus and additional 10lbs) came back soon afterwards, even while eating moderately.

I was lucky, as my metabolism did bounce back and I am currently successfully reshaping my body (It also helps that I am in my early twenties). But it took six months of letting my body nourish itself (probably at a bit of an excess) and enjoying life while studying overseas. After six months of virtually no exercise beyond walking, I came back to my hometown to finish my degree. Once back, I started slow with workout videos and began improving myself again. Almost 10 months later, I am burning through intense strength training and HIIT sessions at the gym, 6days/week, 1-2 hours a day, and I feel invincible.

I think it's been suggested already, but maybe you should give your body a chance to re-establish suitable metabolism levels?

As a side-note, I'm currently a wonderfully muscly 100lbs, and look better/have better measurements than I did when I was 90lbs.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. I did one round of HCG & lost 27 lbs. I continued to eat only the food that I ate while on HCG, got back to the gym & still gained the 27 back plus another 30 making me bigger than I was than when I was pregnant!! Grrrrr... I should have known better when the doctor's office I pulled up to was a dentist office that charges up the A** for the HCG shots in the back office. On top of that, they told me it would be an additional $200 to do a 2nd round but when it came time for it, they said oh, no, that was wrong, it's an additional $600 to do the 2nd round. No way! So, like I said, I continued to eat the foods recommended while on HCG, just bigger portions & I was going to the gym, despite all this I still gained. I hate the body I have now & am trying very, very hard to get the pounds off again. I feel like I was betrayed by the HCG diet & totally ripped off by the "doctor" that sold it to me. Good luck to you!

I hope you've reported this!
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting thread as HCG had been recommended to me by someone. I did some research and never did order any. BOY AM I GLAD!!

As this round of weightloss is NOT my first rodeo, I know that diet (as in healthy balanced eating) and exercise is the ONLY way to go when compared to any type of medication (Rx or OTC).

I'm glad to be here on MFP and have the support and accountability.
This discussion has been closed.