10 pounds lighter and tighter by April - Support thread!

Options

Replies

• SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Putting a question out there: do you eat back your exercise calories? Just wondering!
  • sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @SuzyH‌ I have not been in Feb and I won't in March. some eat half back, which I think MFP recommends if you do. I think it all depends on your need. Amanda, @huango‌, and @faelight‌ is awesome with this stuff!
  • jlkermode
    jlkermode Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »
    Putting a question out there: do you eat back your exercise calories? Just wondering!

I eat back my exercise calories. If you calculated your daily cal goal through MFP, then it already accounts for a deficit based on your goals. So if you eat back your exercise cals, you are still eating at a deficit.

Also, I use it as motivation to exercise! Because if I exercise, then I can have that extra helping of potatoes ;)
  • kjerome101
    kjerome101 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definitely in!
    SW: 132
    CW: 128
    GW: 118

Let's do this!!!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Even with a HRM, fitbit, whatever, they're never that accurate.
    The worst trackers are the ones on the elliptical:
    "You've burned 690 calories in 45minutes". <<--- That's ridiculous!!! You barely burn that much playing intense rugby.

@SuzyH‌ "do you eat back your exercise calories?"
    So no, I do not eat back my workout calories because I really don't know what they are.

To make it worst, I have a spreadsheet where I log my food calories and workout calories burned.
    - for the food calories, whatever I have in MFP, I add 10% to it, just in case I UNDERlog my food.
    - for the workout calories, I reduce them by 25%, in case I don't really burn 425 calories in Zumba.

This way, I'm set up for reality when I don't lose that 0.5 pound, because I didn't log that lick of the peanut butter knife when making my kids' sandwiches, or when my intensity of my pushups/abs are not really burning 115 calories.

Do whatever works for you.
    If it gives you a little food choice freedom to log your workout, AND encourages yourself to get up and move about, then definitely log those burned calories.

Hump day!
    Keep strong with YOUR decision to become the new you!
    Game On!

Amanda
  • sellerskennington
    Options
    So, I am lacking big time in the workout area. I can't seem to wake up in the morning and go. I am not able to do it in the afternoons/evenings because I am a single mom of a 6 and 4 year old while husband is attending graduate school. I just have been lacking the energy lately. Sadly, I know working out will give me energy, but waking up has been a HUGE struggle for me lately. I need some motivation.

and to make matters worse, co-workers put a HUGE tray of cookies and brownies in the workroom where I get my water. my weakness!!!

Hump day is being a big ugly hump for me!
  • vanousss
    vanousss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cool! I'm in. I definitely need some motivation to keep this up. I want to lose 10 pounds (from 157 to 137) just to keep it realistic since I do a lot of muscle toning. Seeing other people's progress will help me keep my hands in my pocket when I see sweets
  • huango
    Options
    "to make it worse"
  • ladyChasity01
    ladyChasity01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new but I am in ..
  • mirahudson11
    Options
    I'm innnn.
    I'm 5'4 and 132
    I was 117 and Sooo happy! I would love to be there again :)
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Mirahudson11, me too! We can do this!
  • sellerskennington
    Options
    Amanda, @huango‌, do you have lots of snow coming down? @jlkermode‌ how much are you seeing? Chelsea had about 2" when I left this morning and the city seems to be ok. My commute was easy, but others didn't have such luck. Again, slept in rather than gym. What does anyone suggest for the fire to start under my bed/chair?!
  • huango
    Options
    @sellerskennington‌
    We had a pretty dusting this morning. Probably a bit more dusting this afternoon, just enough to cover up the dirty/black old snow. :)

Several things:
    1. your body may just be really needing this extra sleep. give into it instead of fighting it. hard to be a "single" mom.
    2. The weather is definitely not helping. your body wants to hibernate.
    3. I find that working out goes in cycle, like sex:
    - It's tough to get started, but once you're there/in the act of it, you feel great.
    - At the end, you always ask yourself why you don't have sex more often!! hahhahaa

So you may just have to throw on gym clothes as soon as the alarm goes off, even before you brush your teeth and drag yourself to work out.
    Then the endorphins kick in, and you feel all warm and awake.
    Just a few more of these and you'll fall right back into schedule.

I'm typing this as I decided to skip the gym this morning.
    I was kicking myself for it, but reminded myself that I did work out yesterday, and I have tons of accounting to do (while kids are at school).
    But I'll do a short home workout out: body squats/pushups/DB biceps, etc while kids do homework this afternoon.

My food diary is not going to be pretty today; macros are all off: I'm craving carbs: peanuts, naan, fruit.
    I'm lazy and need to cook protein stuff.

Amanda
  • sellerskennington
    Options
    Amanda, you know, my hubby said the hibernation thing. Being new to this type of weather has been an adjustment. I love your sex comparison! :p My thought is try to catch up on sleep on find ways to feel more springy and then spring forward on Sunday, with daylight savings time, with the gym!
  • jlkermode
    jlkermode Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Amanda, @huango‌, do you have lots of snow coming down? @jlkermode‌ how much are you seeing? Chelsea had about 2" when I left this morning and the city seems to be ok. My commute was easy, but others didn't have such luck. Again, slept in rather than gym. What does anyone suggest for the fire to start under my bed/chair?!
    @huango‌ @sellerskennington‌ the snow is continuing to come down in Midtown! I walk throughout the city during my day, visiting different clients, so I have my trusty Hunter boots with the liners working for me :) I think it's about 3-6 inches in the city right now.

I workout in the afternoon/ evening, depending on when my last client mtng is during the day. I cannot wake up early for the life of me. If you are unable to get to the gym due to your kids, have u looked at some workout home DVDs? I love the Beachbody DVDs like PiYo. Very easy to follow and I love that they give u a calendar with a routine of workouts already figured out for you.
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on to say hi to everyone in a while, sorry for that. It sounds like you all are doing pretty well! I am down to 126.4! I don't think I will make it to 121 but this is so much closer to my goal than I've been in a long time and I might heighten my goal weight. I haven't been working out much but I have been moving more, I think. I went shooting and was sore for two days. I am planning to start strength training.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @huango‌ I haven't noticed any *huge* changes yet, but I've noticed what has worked for me is a healthy diet (higher protein, low sodium) and alternating cardio and weightlifting. That way you build muscle (which burns the fat faster) and retain as little water weight as possible. Someone may likely be more knowledgeable than myself in this thread on how to focus on losing BF. If so-- I'd love to hear!
  • huango
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wooohooo: Deadlifted 140# today (at the END of my workout).
    And 2x5 green-band assisted pull-ups.
    I'm coming back, baby!!!!

But my eating is HORRIBLE today: all carbs.
    And I still want more!!! Noodles, homemade bread, cantaloupe, banana, ARGH! It's like a drug addiction.

I *will* get it together soon.
    You can't out-train a bad diet.

Why I hate that darn scale.

What Sohee (my inspiration) says about the scale:

"If you’ve lost two inches off your waist but the scale weight hasn’t budged, you have made progress.
    If you see a little bicep peeking through but the scale weight hasn’t budged, you have made progress.
    If the scale weight has spiked but you’ve also been eating everything but the kitchen sink – well, then maybe a dietary intervention is necessary.

(At the end of the day, however, if stepping on the scale weight gives you a panic attack, then you may want to consider breaking up with the damn thing.)"

soheefit.com/scale-weight/

@LilMissTucknRoll‌ "I am down to 126.4!"
    Congrats! Keep up the great job!

@NekoneMeowMixx‌
    My daily struggle is to focus on protein.
    And to not give into my carbs addiction.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a really hard time getting the amount of protein that I need each day... (protein with EVERY meal?! What am I supposed to eat all day? Eggs?!) The struggle is real...
  • huango
    Options
    This list is actually a good one:

elitedaily.com/life/smarter-fitness-11-silly-health-myths-stop-falling/953650/

So many of my friends warned me about becoming too bulky.
    Duh, that's because I was eating too much then.

Go lift some heavy weights, or body weight!

Amanda