contribute to toxicity and nervous system/immune dysfunction through
    various mechanisms. One is the conjugation of formaldehyde with human
    serum albumin (F-HSA) to form a new antigenic determinant. Patients
    with multiple health complaints who had been exposed chronically to
    formaldehyde develop anti F-HSA antibodies and elevated Tal cells
    (antigen memory cells), consistent with sustained antigenic
    stimulation of the immune system"

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html
    Artificial sweeteners alter gut flora, causing glucose intolerance (prediabetes)

There you has it folks - a couple of mechanisms. The dangers of artificial sweeteners have been known for decades. Individual responses to artificial sweetners vary.

Artificial sweetner withdrawal can last a month, during which your body will get rid of substances like methanol, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, leading to headaches, sweet cravings, varying energy levels, and mood disruption. Try to drink a lot of water, eat a healthy diet, and exercise to help this process. Be patient with yourself, many other people have gone through the same thing, and experienced the benefits of living without diet sodas. Good for you for taking care of yourself this way - it's a challenge, you can do it :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    meltsaway wrote: »
    Wow what a response this has drummed up! I just want to give you some support for giving up diet sodas. Plenty of studies show serious side effects of those chemicals. I gave up diet soda about 15 years ago (along with cigarettes) and I do not miss it. I drink water. Here's a tip: fill a beautiful glass pitcher with filtered water and add slices of orange and lemon, you can also add mint, any fruit you enjoy. Use organic fruit. Drink it throughout the day. BRAVO! You will save plenty of money and can use it instead on buying better quality foods. Take it day by day and reward yourself when you hit 30 days in a row free! Good luck.

Why does she need to use organic fruit? Especially with something like oranges and lemons?

Also, how likely is it that she's still reading and looking for drink advice? I think all drink options were covered in the first 5 pages and everything since then has been a repeat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    http://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine.com/articles/aspartame_addiction.html
    "Aspartame beverages contain 55 mg methanol per liter"
    "The body attempts to detoxify methyl alcohol by oxidizing it to
    formaldehyde (a deadly neurotoxin and Class A carcinogen), and then to
    formate or formic acid within minutes. Formate and formaldehyde each may

Artificial sweeteners alter gut flora, causing glucose intolerance (prediabetes)

There you has it folks - a couple of mechanisms. The dangers of artificial sweeteners have been known for decades. Individual responses to artificial sweetners vary.

Artificial sweetner withdrawal can last a month, during which your body will get rid of substances like methanol, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, leading to headaches, sweet cravings, varying energy levels, and mood disruption. Try to drink a lot of water, eat a healthy diet, and exercise to help this process. Be patient with yourself, many other people have gone through the same thing, and experienced the benefits of living without diet sodas. Good for you for taking care of yourself this way - it's a challenge, you can do it :)
    Can't read the full study, do you have it? Was wondering the dosages and durations, maybe you have that information, thanks. What about naturally occurring formaldehyde found in fruit and vegetables, what should people do, you think?

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I hope you are a step closer to giving up the diet soda :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Interestingly, the demands to know why people want to do things only come up in the threads where people wish to discourage the behavior.

Since I ask why all the time to better understand and give the advice asked, I know for a fact that's simply not true, at least not as a generalization.
    I have yet to see the mocking crowd ask anyone Why they want to increase their protein

I have quite often asked people struggling to get their protein up to a level that seemed high to me why they wanted it so high (while answering the question as I did in this case).
    When they ask for helpful strategies to decrease pop or sweets, they get asked why and then mocked.

She wasn't mocked and was given lots of helpful answers, including--again--by me and others who asked why.

I think you assume that people are delicate flowers in a way someone posting on an internet board really shouldn't be and occasionally see mockery where it does not exist. I have strong ideas about what I want to do with respect to my own diet, but I wouldn't post about it outside of a support group thread unless I was quite willing to discuss my reasons (which I am). I've posted lots of times about giving stuff up for a time and not gotten flack either, since I have reasons (some people probably think they aren't good ones, but since I don't try to impose my views on others as the only way to do things no one seems to care). Similarly, the OP explained her reasons here and people seemed to accept them perfectly well. The argument went on interminably because others got so upset on her behalf that anyone dared ask questions/say it wasn't necessary in general, and--of course--because we got into the typical "diet pop is evil and bad" from some of the usual suspects, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the OP.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist.

For me, it's not that. It's about respecting their decision. Their reasons don't matter.

I don't believe that seeking more information to better give them the advice asked for or to have a discussion is "not respecting their decision." I see it as having a discussion and sharing thoughts and experience. I've also seen tons of people on these boards seem genuinely relieved in realizing that their diet didn't have to be as onerous as all that. I've also seen people get upset because others didn't go along with their super special cleanse plan, of course (OP is not in that category in any way), but I still think it was good people shared the facts.
    Interestingly, the demands to know why people want to do things only come up in the threads where people wish to discourage the behavior. I believe many people ask why just so that they can argue with the reason and mock the OP if the OP believes things they don't believe.

I have yet to see the mocking crowd ask anyone Why they want to increase their protein or throw out the Science! that suggests there is no benefit to going over a certain amount. When people ask how to increase protein, they're given answers. When they ask for helpful strategies to decrease pop or sweets, they get asked why and then mocked.

Not you, personally, but it happens. A lot.

If people want to cut pop, for whatever reason, they should be able to discuss it without being discouraged, much less mocked. It certainly won't harm them.

I didn't see the mockery, but you may have read something into a reply that I missed.

Regarding the questioning about giving up sodas or sweets, with so much misinformation on nutrition everywhere we look, wouldn't it be better that people are aware that they do not need to 'give up' certain foods that they enjoy to have success? It could be the difference between adherence to an enjoyable diet and throwing in the towel due to intolerable restriction.

BTW, I thought you were in favour of different opinions and ideas...(not trying to sound snarky, if it comes off that way)

• Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well staying off both diet soda and sweets. Thank you to all who have been supportive.

I found sparkling water in a can with flavoring. Made by Schweppes. Now I have something to drink with pizza.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Can't read the full study, do you have it? Was wondering the dosages and durations, maybe you have that information, thanks. What about naturally occurring formaldehyde found in fruit and vegetables, what should people do, you think?

7 healthy humans were given the maximum FDA allowable amount of aspertame, saccharine, and sucralose for 6 days. Four of them started showing signs of glucose intolerance (high blood sugar), replicating the results earlier established with rats.

Glucose intolerance with the rats was avoided if the rats were given antibiotics. They transferred fecal material from the treatment rats to other rats, and the transfer recipients showed the same glucose intolerance, establishing the microflora connection (aren't rat experiments horrible?).

Results indicate that some healthy humans can become prediabetic due to exposure to non-caloric sugar substitutes.

As for formaldehyde in fruits, the load of methanol in diet pops is 55 mg/liter.
    The load of formaldehyde in fruits goes from the possible high 60 mg/kg in pears (about 10 mg/pear) to about 2.3 mg/kg in cucumbers (about .7 mg/cucumber, if you eat a whole cucumber at a time), with most fruits logging in at less than 20 mg/kg. A serving of fruit has a small fraction of the formaldehyde that you would get with the aspertame in a diet soda. I'm thinking with a known carcinogen, less is more. Also, when you eat the fruit/cucumber, you are gaining vitamins/minerals/macros/fiber/antioxidants, which you are not gaining with the diet pop. Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables is essential for health. Drinking diet pop is not, is poorly tolerated by some, and has health risks for others.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Pe
    I'm doing well staying off both diet soda and sweets. Thank you to all who have been supportive.

I found sparkling water in a can with flavoring. Made by Schweppes. Now I have something to drink with pizza.

And the flavoring is aspartame free?
    Otherwise it's the same as diet soda.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist.

For me, it's not that. It's about respecting their decision. Their reasons don't matter.

I don't believe that seeking more information to better give them the advice asked for or to have a discussion is "not respecting their decision." I see it as having a discussion and sharing thoughts and experience. I've also seen tons of people on these boards seem genuinely relieved in realizing that their diet didn't have to be as onerous as all that. I've also seen people get upset because others didn't go along with their super special cleanse plan, of course (OP is not in that category in any way), but I still think it was good people shared the facts.
    Interestingly, the demands to know why people want to do things only come up in the threads where people wish to discourage the behavior. I believe many people ask why just so that they can argue with the reason and mock the OP if the OP believes things they don't believe.

I have yet to see the mocking crowd ask anyone Why they want to increase their protein or throw out the Science! that suggests there is no benefit to going over a certain amount. When people ask how to increase protein, they're given answers. When they ask for helpful strategies to decrease pop or sweets, they get asked why and then mocked.

Not you, personally, but it happens. A lot.

If people want to cut pop, for whatever reason, they should be able to discuss it without being discouraged, much less mocked. It certainly won't harm them.

yep, it's like people are just looking for a fight half the time.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

It's hard at first but you can do this. Diet soda can be just as bad for you as regular. It makes you more thirsty but masks it to your body like you are hungry and you end up eatting more than you realize. I drink water, flavored water, green teas w/ sucralose not aspertame, coffee. Good luck to you.

What is wrong with aspartame and coffee?

coffee stains your teeth and can set off acid reflux.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

The first link is really just nonsense from an integrative medicine centre. There is no study, just opinions. Methanol is produced from the metabolism of many foods, not just aspartame. In fact, the same amount of tomato juice produces 5x the amount. The body is able to metabolise methanol, formaldehyde, and formic acid with any issues.

The amount of woo in that link is scary.....the author mainly cites himself, or else misrepresents others.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

It's hard at first but you can do this. Diet soda can be just as bad for you as regular. It makes you more thirsty but masks it to your body like you are hungry and you end up eatting more than you realize. I drink water, flavored water, green teas w/ sucralose not aspertame, coffee. Good luck to you.

So can citrus fruits and many other foods. Guess we should tell people to stop eating those too?

And as for staining teeth- easily reduced by brushing your teeth.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have drank pepsi my entire life. I had an addiction like no other. Ease out of it. I cant stand plain water. I found it helpful to use crystal light in with my water to help; It is all I drink now. I really try no to even treat myself to a pepsi because I know that as soon as I taste it... its over. Done deal. I have come so far. You can do it. It is hard hard hard but set your mind to it. You can do it.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

So can citrus fruits and many other foods. Guess we should tell people to stop eating those too?

coffee is worse than citrus fruits

and you would have to remember to brush your teeth immediately after drinking it. not always gonna happen.

geeeez, it's like people really argue just for the sake of it. it stains your teeth. deal with it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I have drank pepsi my entire life. I had an addiction like no other. Ease out of it. I cant stand plain water. I found it helpful to use crystal light in with my water to help; It is all I drink now. I really try no to even treat myself to a pepsi because I know that as soon as I taste it... its over. Done deal. I have come so far. You can do it. It is hard hard hard but set your mind to it. You can do it.

Crystal light contains the SAME artificial sweetners. How is that any different?
  • elphie754
    Options

and you would have to remember to brush your teeth immediately after drinking it. not always gonna happen.

geeeez, it's like people really argue just for the sake of it. it stains your teeth. deal with it.

Oh that's hysterical coming from you.

Or you can drink with a straw. I drink coffee everyday... Multiple cups per day. No acid reflux and bright white teeth. Guess I must have magic teeth then.

Tomatoes are much worse for acid reflex than coffee.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh that's hysterical coming from you.

Or you can drink with a straw. I drink coffee everyday... Multiple cups per day. No acid reflux and bright white teeth. Guess I must have magic teeth then.

Tomatoes are much worse for acid reflex than coffee.

LOL you are 27. I had bright white teeth at 27 too. good luck at 40. and YES, you can drink it with a straw and that helps. I'm talking about drinking it the normal way with hot coffee. most people don't drink it with a straw.

seriously, do you just like to argue about everything?

what do tomatoes have to do with my point? i think that coffee is worse for acid reflux than tomatoes, but irrelevant anyway. and good for you not having acid reflux. this is completely irrelevant to my point. it causes it for some people. did not say all. it also tends to happen when you are older than 27.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    elphie, are you flagging all my posts now? that post is not against the TOS and neither is the one a few posts up.
This discussion has been closed.