Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• AndreaS_222
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Does anyone know to which forum the critical thinkers have emigrated? They seem to have disappeared. Please PM me and let me know.

who needs brains when you got these, hoss? rack em, I'm out...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You seem to have not read the actual studies.The hypothesis is only about the mechanism...the "how". The "what" is already known. The fact that artificial sweeteners cause cravings is well established.

They are now trying to determine exactly why that is. What HAS been proven is that sugar has a much more dramatic effect on activating certain parts of the brain than artificial sweeteners. They just can't conclusively determine why yet. But frankly, the why is irrelevant to me. I know artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings. That's all I need to know.

I did read the studies. The hypothesis WAS that artificial sweeteners cause cravings.

You obviously didn't read them.
    ]It is well established that artificial sweeteners cause cravings. The majority of medical professionals will tell you this. It is not even a controversial idea outside of this message board.

You keep saying that like it's going to be truer every time you say it. Find the study to show where it was proven conclusively and not just hypothesized. Not an article, please.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    this thread is kinda making me crave diet dr pepper. not gonna do it though.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You seem to have not read the actual studies.The hypothesis is only about the mechanism...the "how". The "what" is already known. The fact that artificial sweeteners cause cravings is well established.

They are now trying to determine exactly why that is. What HAS been proven is that sugar has a much more dramatic effect on activating certain parts of the brain than artificial sweeteners. They just can't conclusively determine why yet. But frankly, the why is irrelevant to me. I know artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings. That's all I need to know.

You know what? I did some digging. The idea that artificial sweeteners can intensify sugar cravings goes back to the Framingham Heart Study. Here's the bit that started the whole ball rolling. Far from conclusive.
    Finally, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin, sucralose,
    and neotame are 180, 200, 300, 600, and 7,000–13,000
    times sweeter than sugar, respectively. Has their adoption led
    to taste distortion, and increased appetite for intensely sweet,
    highly caloric foods?

It wasn't a conclusion, it was just a hypothesis.

Here's the study:

wnho.net/artificially_sweetened_beverages.pdf

As usual, one line in a medical paper got picked up by the media, kicked around for a few years, bandied about by quacks and blogs on the internet, and now it's accepted as fact.

This is also the study which never did nail down the link between obesity and diet soda drinking. They tried, but they still had to admit that more research was needed.
    First of all, what you linked is NOT the Framingham Heart Study. So you're talking about something completely different that what you actually provided. I think it is likely that you are confusing several different things.

The only reference in the article you linked to the Framingham study is this:
    "Dhingra reported 53% higher 4-year incidence of metabolic
    syndrome among daily (vs. <1/week) diet-soda users,
    among Framingham Heart Study participants [21]. "

While that certainly does suggest that artificial sweeteners are bad for your health, it is not specifically what we are talking about.

And there is no one study that the idea that artificial sweeteners intensify sugar cravings relies on. There have been many. Several different ones were referenced in the links I provided earlier...and that is just a small subset of the available research.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    IMPORTANT UPDATE! - diet soda STILL has zero nutritional value
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Does anyone know to which forum the critical thinkers have emigrated? They seem to have disappeared. Please PM me and let me know.

Was just coming back to state that the discussion around the Yale study is tear-inducing. Hypothetical proposal brought up in the discussion section of that paper should not be taken as fact, it was a theoretical hypothesis that was presented. It's a weak proposal on a possible path of reward systems that has not been confirmed in the four years since publication.

If the artificial sweetners are bad crowd really wanted to discuss possible research of consequence that would not be pillar of choice. Rather the Plos One paper or the Nature paper have more interesting results but rather than copy pasting from Mercola and other "sweetners bad" crowd I invite people to actually read those papers. There is meat on the bone to consider the question from a causal point. It's nescent research, it raises questions, but it does point a finger to a causal mechanism or mechanisms for artificial sweetners to influence weight gain, in some cases.

It's probably worth an in depth article review but not in this thread. I'm out.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I know most will say just drink water. I really like Thai Iced Tea, its sweet, but you can dull that back a bit. Make it at home and drink it in place of your soda.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I did read the studies. The hypothesis WAS that artificial sweeteners cause cravings.

You obviously didn't read them.
    It is well established that artificial sweeteners cause cravings. The majority of medical professionals will tell you this. It is not even a controversial idea outside of this message board.

If they do, then they've got their heads up their collective butts.

I wouldn't be surprised, frankly. I work in medical research and am part of a health care system, so I see both sides. The difference between the actual research and what is bandied about by medical professionals is enlightening. That's why they're medical professionals and not research professionals.

In practice, it's often like the difference between talking to the engineer who designed the product, and the salesman who's trying to sell it.

Edited to remove irrelevant quote
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    IMPORTANT UPDATE! - diet soda STILL has zero nutritional value

what was abusive about that?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    No scientific evidence from me either. I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up diet soda and lose a massive amount of weight by doing just that one thing. Granted that once she had lost a huge amount of weight, it inspired her to continue and change her eating to nutritious food and to start exercising. Whilst drinking diet soda she did not have the energy or the inclination to improve her health.

She no longer drinks it or wants to drink it.

Nope, she definitely did not lose weight by giving up just diet soda because there are no calories in diet soda. She started eating less and/or created a deficit through exercise, because that's how weight is lost. However, it's wonderful that letting go of soda helped her get back her motivation.

Perhaps a wrong choice of words from me so let's go inside my head for half a second. Diet soda, soda, diet coke, coke, pepsi, diet pepsi, etc etc etc are all the same to me "total crap with zero nutritional value." None, whatsoever.

So my sentence should have read "I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up this "total crap with zero nutritional value" and lose a huge amount of weight by doing just doing that one thing.

And no she didn't lose it by through exercise as it was not until she had lost a massive amount of weight that she found her motivation and was able to exercise. So I repeat, she lost the weight by giving up whatever "crappy" drink she was drinking at the time. Granted, she possibly moved more and a pattern of change was set in motion.

However, her nutritional knowledge was poor and she exercised and ate less of poor quality food and continued to lose weight. She looked amazing for about a year but because her basic eating pattern had only lessened but hadn't changed, evidently some of the weight returned. She is still not drinking "that total crap with zero nutritional value" and is nowhere near the weight she was before.

Now do you see how it is easier to say "diet soda." I think from memory her poison was Coke.

As for those involved in the tooth decay "discussion." I am not even going to go there as it is absolute kindergarten stuff regarding basic and common dental knowledge.

Still nope. It has no calories, thus she had to have eaten less or moved more.

You use a lot of generalities in your postings. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SSL Runner, sorry I have to break the news to you but Chuck Norris is 75 years of age. :p

I know of how old he is. What's that got to do with anything?
  • dsproffitt
    dsproffitt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i gave up sweets and diet soda .... What am I going to drink with pizza?

You want to lose weight and you still want to eat pizza that often you need help giving up fizzy drinks? Ironic? Much?

I think you need to read how many calories you are putting in your body with a slice of high fat, high salt, high carb, etc pizza.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, i gave up diet coke too! I was drinking far too much and cut it out completely, Ive found sparkling flavoured water is a nice substitute, its got the flavour and the fact its fizzy kinda tricks me into thinking its just as good as diet coke :D Give it a try :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love iced green tea! I drink green tea everyday. But, I do still drink diet soda sometimes, like with pizza. So maybe cut down, and just drink it occasionally. Another option is sparkling water with lime.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I know we all try to help one another here, but sometimes, you have this divide on mfp, like people who are trying to help others cut back gradually and really looking for substitutions and long term reduction ; while the other group tends to suggest that you shouldn't even be putting anything like that in your body. Now I agree, I shouldn't be, but when I try to quit cold turkey, I sometimes fail and FEEL like a failure, this is tough emotionally. So I understand people trying substitutions or reductions until they can slowly move themselves over to a healthier option.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    In this topic I have learned that the educational system is failing. Oh and giving up soft drinks and diet soft drinks is fine if that's your thing, but not really necessary and won't make the slightest difference if you still consume above your calorie allowance.

Apart from that... not a lot.

Yes I thought the same thing about the education system. They definitely need to concentrate on teaching manners.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find that if I am craving sweetness, a diet soda is a perfect thing. I don't actually like the taste of sugary soda as it leaves a film on my mouth and I've done blind tastings and can definitely tell the sugary one. I also feel sick after a soda full of sugar and my heart races, so I stick to sugar free and don't give myself a hard time. I've given up chocolate (I was so addicted) so a diet soda is my go to for something sweet until I lose the weight (I have to for my knees and overall health as well as vanity) and then maybe chocolate in moderation.
This discussion has been closed.