Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Replies

• amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    do you like the sweetened sparkling waters? they have some good ones at walmart lol
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Yeah... But why?

:p
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    I keep a really huge water bottle near me at all times. Just make a conscious effort to drink it instead. Soon you won't even miss soda. Promise!
  • wintermadness1
    wintermadness1 Posts: 13 Member
    Diet soda can still be a problem, because even though there are no calories, when your tongue tastes sweetness, your body preemptively floods you with insulin to prepare for what it thinks is a bunch of sugar coming down. When there's no sugar, the insulin lowers your blood sugar, making you hungry and more likely to overeat.

I quit soda, and it was really hard; I also quit diet soda after a while too.
    I now drink seltzer waters, zero calories and no artificial sweeteners either. Plus, the carbonation is nice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Diet soda can still be a problem, because even though there are no calories, when your tongue tastes sweetness, your body preemptively floods you with insulin to prepare for what it thinks is a bunch of sugar coming down. When there's no sugar, the insulin lowers your blood sugar, making you hungry and more likely to overeat.

I now drink seltzer waters, zero calories and no artificial sweeteners either. Plus, the carbonation is nice.

No.

If anyone wants to cut soda for personal reasons, or monetary reasons... great.

There is no scientific reason to cut it.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015

No.

actually, not great according to you. i said i did it because it helped me lose weight and keep it off personally, but you started blabbing about me having no science to back that up. i believe that science will back me up eventually, but until then i'll do what i want, and be happy easily staying skinny as a result.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    I've been 22 days without Diet Coke and it was SO HARD at first. I was probably drinking a 2 liter a day, it was definitely driving my appetite up - it was hard at first because certain foods NEED soda - it's just weird and wrong to drink them with anything but. But, it's much easier now. Unsweet tea is my go-to. I get a large Unsweet Tea from Chikfila every morning, then when that's gone I fill up the cup with water the rest of the day. I still miss it at certain times (chips and salsa at Chilis, and with pizza!!) but overall it's much easier now then it was the first two weeks.
    -
  • PeachyCarol
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Aviva, you have fought a brave fight whilst I have been sleeping and your support has been to encourage OP in her endeavour. I have awoken to find 110 more posts in this thread leading nowhere with people telling this girl to reintroduce soda into her diet. Why would she want to?? There are countless posts from people who have benefited healthwise and weightwise by giving it up. Poor OP has given up drinking diet soda (and possibly given up reading this thread) only to be told "start drinking it again but this time in MODERATION because it great stuff" She has made her choice and from what I have seen she is perfectly capable to deciding for herself what she drinks and doesn't drink. Her life, her body, her choice.

Personally, I think the less you drink the stuff the better. By the way, I checked some of the diaries of the people supporting soda - they don't drink it, they just want to encourage everyone to destroy the enamel on their teeth and drink a substance that gives their body no nutritional value whatsoever.

I noticed my post guiding OP to MFP's Facebook article has been buried and has 7 spam flags against it. I'm sure MFP's dietitian will be delighted to hear her article is spam. For those who want to read it, click on the FB icon at the top of this page, next to Log Out, at the top right hand corner and it will lead you directly there. Today there are recipes for "15 Nutritious Breakfasts for Busy People."

As for me, I am going to buy some of this tea suggested by Caribbean. Sounds good to me. :)
    An excellent tea to try is Aveda comforting tea. Its caffeine free and is sweetened with licorice root and peppermint. Oh, and its organic. A little pricey, but so good!!

As for OP, I think she has gained all she can from this thread and I wish her success in the future. She has made a wise choice in my opinion.

You know what else destroys tooth enamel? Wine, orange juice, white bread, potato chips, oranges, grapefruit, and white bread. Life's an enamel minefield. Best to play it safe and just eat chalk.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life. i gave it up. i think that water is better. might be a coincidence that i lost a lot of weight and kept it off for almost 2 years afterwards or it might have been the diet soda causing me to eat more. i don't know. all i know is that i lost a lot of weight and kept it off, whereas i never could before.

i weened myself off of diet soda by drinking seltzer at first and then just got used to regular water eventually. sometimes still drink seltzer though.

Yes!!!! It's a crazy cult on MFP that no one should change their diet because no food is "bad". There is no nutritional value in diet soda and just because it won't kill you doesn't mean you should be putting it your body! Sheesh......

I also gave up diet soda and found that I can stick to my calories much easier without feeling hungry. I still occasionally drink a diet soda, but not daily or even weekly (more as a treat for a movie or something like that). Instead, I drink seltzer water and herbal tea. I really don't miss it either!

I've lost 121 pounds drinking diet soda, I have reverse my heart disease and my blood work is excellent. Doctor says I am in excellent health. There is no such thing as "bad" food, drink, etc.

good for you. losing 121 pounds would have been impossible for me. that would have made me 19 pounds. pretty sure i would have died before then. it worked for ME to give up diet soda. it worked for YOU to keep it.

is diet soda your god? do you pray to the diet soda god every night? why do you care what the op or anyone else does?

Pro tip: this thread isn't about you.

Nor is it about the person she was replying to.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

No.

If you have good insurance that covers dentures
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    No scientific evidence from me either. I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up diet soda and lose a massive amount of weight by doing just that one thing. Granted that once she had lost a huge amount of weight, it inspired her to continue and change her eating to nutritious food and to start exercising. Whilst drinking diet soda she did not have the energy or the inclination to improve her health.

She no longer drinks it or wants to drink it.
  • LeenaGee
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Keep going OP! Soda is so hard to give up! I stopped 5 years ago, and my body has thanked me ever since. I gave up caffeine at the same time, and it was a real struggle for the first few weeks.

While there may not be a study that shows a link to diet soda and cancer or anything, read the contents of a diet soda and tell me if any of the unpronounceable ingredients sound like things you think should be in your body.

Try flavored waters like La Croix, just be careful of anything made with a sweetener.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

I have no interest in getting people to drink diet soda. Read my first post in this thread. I believe it's on the first page. I even gave the OP some suggestions on helping her quit her habit.

I do have a great interest in people making unsubstantiated nonsense claims with no factual basis arguing an all or nothing approach. You know why? I've worked my way through 20 years of falling for that nonsense and coming out the other side.

If the OP wants to give up soda, that's great. She shouldn't be giving it because of trumped up nonsense, though. Everyone deserves the chance to make their choices based on knowing facts.

• PeachyCarol
    JPW1990 wrote: »

No.

If you have good insurance that covers dentures

I take it you don't eat any citrus then. Drink wine? Eat bread? That darn acid and enamel. Protip: it's not just soda.

• LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    You know what else destroys tooth enamel? Wine, orange juice, white bread, potato chips, oranges, grapefruit, and white bread. Life's an enamel minefield. Best to play it safe and just eat chalk.

Yes these things and all food can damage tooth enamel but not to the same extent as 3 or 4 cans of soda per day. A lot of people are drinking copious amounts of soda and that will cause tooth decay without a doubt.

I think JPW is right - they are going to need good insurance for dentures. :D
  • deannahaeck
    deannahaeck Posts: 4 Member
    Get a soda stream and you can have a ton of different diet flavors of carbonated anything its amazing. Thats what i did and i was a die hars diet coke drinker.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    if a person decides to try cutting out diet soda and it doesn't work to accomplish anything, they can go back to drinking it to their hearts content. how is this hurting them in any way?

If someone is struggling to maintain a lower calorie eating plan and cuts out soda and blows the soda restriction and feels like she's off plan and decides to blow the whole diet, the extra restriction did not help.

If someone struggles with sticking to both and decides that since she can't give up soda she can't stick to a diet, it did not help.

As Evgeni mentioned studies have shown that will power is a finite commodity, so if she is using it up on diet soda (as she said) it could make things harder for her with respect to the diet.

Ultimately, her call, and no one has said otherwise, but these are legitimate things to be concerned about. IF she's fully informed and thinks it's worth it, great, but if she was doing it because she'd been told it was necessary (as happens about all kinds of weird stuff, see the person who thought eating tomatoes was bad and inconsistent with a diet because sugar), she should be informed that it's not necessary and she might be making things harder than she needs to.

Pretty sure this has all been explained. No one is begging OP to keep drinking soda.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    if a person decides to try cutting out diet soda and it doesn't work to accomplish anything, they can go back to drinking it to their hearts content. how is this hurting them in any way?

If someone is struggling to maintain a lower calorie eating plan and cuts out soda and blows the soda restriction and feels like she's off plan and decides to blow the whole diet, the extra restriction did not help.

If someone struggles with sticking to both and decides that since she can't give up soda she can't stick to a diet, it did not help.

As Evgeni mentioned studies have shown that will power is a finite commodity, so if she is using it up on diet soda (as she said) it could make things harder for her with respect to the diet.

Ultimately, her call, and no one has said otherwise, but these are legitimate things to be concerned about. IF she's fully informed and thinks it's worth it, great, but if she was doing it because she'd been told it was necessary (as happens about all kinds of weird stuff, see the person who thought eating tomatoes was bad and inconsistent with a diet because sugar), she should be informed that it's not necessary and she might be making things harder than she needs to.

Pretty sure this has all been explained. No one is begging OP to keep drinking soda.

if it is truly making it harder and she's going to give up the entire thing because of it, then sure drinking diet soda is better than doing this.

if she is anything like me, it made losing weight easier, not harder. and yeah, i was told it was necessary by my mother. i initially thought my mother was wrong, but i did it to appease her and figured why not, it can't hurt. then the weight flew off and i figured that's nice, i'll stick with no soda, other than as an occasional mixer. i don't know for sure that the soda had anything to do with my weight loss, but i also don't know that it didn't and do know it was the easiest time i've ever had losing weight and keeping it off.
This discussion has been closed.