Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    People on these boards generally prioritize being right above being helpful or supportive.

I would rather someone step on my toes and tell me the truth, than someone coddle me while spitting non-science based "facts".

Agreed- Supportive =/= agreeing with everything said

Supportive also != I won't answer your question until you let me judge your reason for asking it.

As for the non-science based "facts", does that start with "everything in moderation?" Have to wonder how many people put off visiting a doctor or ignored symptoms of something because they were browbeaten into believing that what they felt in their own body was their own guilt or listening to the wrong people or setting themselves up for failure.

Have I judged anyone in this thread? If so please show me.
    How long have you been in the forums? I've never seen a poster to not seek medical attention over concerns... its quite the opposite i've found.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life.

Agreed.

Why do so many people on here insist that it's wrong to give something up? It's your own personal choice.

But like the OP said, drinking diet sodas DOES keep your sweet tooth going. I'm on a big-time diet soda kick right now and I really need to eliminate it. When I stop drinking it for awhile, I find it easier to slowly add back in 1 or 2 a week and control it. Right now I'm drinking 1 or 2 a day and it just makes me want more.

Moderation may be the key, but sometimes you need to first stop something cold-turkey before you can kick the cravings out.

It does not effect your sweet tooth. I can have some and walk away just fine. This is not a universal truth.

There was one paper published that hypothesized that it might do this, and now everyone spouts it as a fact. SMH.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life.

Agreed.

Why do so many people on here insist that it's wrong to give something up? It's your own personal choice.

But like the OP said, drinking diet sodas DOES keep your sweet tooth going. I'm on a big-time diet soda kick right now and I really need to eliminate it. When I stop drinking it for awhile, I find it easier to slowly add back in 1 or 2 a week and control it. Right now I'm drinking 1 or 2 a day and it just makes me want more.

Moderation may be the key, but sometimes you need to first stop something cold-turkey before you can kick the cravings out.

It does not effect your sweet tooth. I can have some and walk away just fine. This is not a universal truth.

There was one paper published that hypothesized that it might do this, and now everyone spouts it as a fact. SMH.

And that paper also gave evidence that it might not....

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't think that's what's going on. I refer you to my super long post upthread, or Evgeni's posts.
    But like the OP said, drinking diet sodas DOES keep your sweet tooth going.

This differs from person to person, and I suspect that some people buy into the largely unsubstantiated theory on this (see mamapeach's post about the study for a few comments on why it's not that convincing), without personal experience to confirm it, but I mostly think people should decide for themselves. I tested it out when I first started at MFP and found that it did not affect my sweet tooth at all and that, in fact, it tended to satisfy it sometimes or address perceived hunger. I prefer not to drink much diet soda for other reasons (more often than not it just doesn't taste that refreshing to me and I like my cold drinks to be refreshing, so prefer water or iced tea), but I've found no difference to weight loss drinking it or not.
    I'm on a big-time diet soda kick right now and I really need to eliminate it. When I stop drinking it for awhile, I find it easier to slowly add back in 1 or 2 a week and control it. Right now I'm drinking 1 or 2 a day and it just makes me want more.

I agree with this and I haven't suggested that OP shouldn't quit diet soda if she wants (and really haven't read anyone else to be doing that). What I do think, however, is that timing matters and if you start changing your eating habits in a way that is difficult at first and takes some will power and add onto that quitting diet soda (which has nothing to do with weight loss) you could be making everything harder in a way that leads to you having more trouble sticking to the food-related changes. Since I tend to think it's more beneficial to lose weight, if you need to, than eliminate diet soda, I'd be inclined to hold off on the diet soda change to another time. However, if I believed some of the (IMO false) claims that you couldn't lose drinking diet soda, that it's the equivalent of drinking regular, I might feel compelled to quit anyway, when it's not necessary.

And, as I keep saying, people are different, so if OP thinks that this is a good time to quit soda for a while or that it will help and not hurt with her weight loss plan, I defer to her knowledge. I've just seen enough people buy into the claims that you have to do stuff you don't that I think it's good to tell her she doesn't. Not that she can't, of course. (I answered her question.)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think there is secret addictive ingredient in diet soda - besides the caffeine. I am now almost completely off- I take a container of plain black tea with me - it's ok.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    People on these boards generally prioritize being right above being helpful or supportive.

I would rather someone step on my toes and tell me the truth, than someone coddle me while spitting non-science based "facts".

Supportive also != I won't answer your question until you let me judge your reason for asking it.

As for the non-science based "facts", does that start with "everything in moderation?" Have to wonder how many people put off visiting a doctor or ignored symptoms of something because they were browbeaten into believing that what they felt in their own body was their own guilt or listening to the wrong people or setting themselves up for failure.

No one here says anything about that, as long as you have a diagnosed medical condition. Nine out of ten times when someone says "everything in moderation", they know that phrase is contingent on whether or not said person has a medical condition barring them from certain foods.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think there is secret addictive ingredient in diet soda - besides the caffeine. I am now almost completely off- I take a container of plain black tea with me - it's ok.

Are you serious?

• GunslingerGirl
    GunslingerGirl Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both gave up soda. He drinks lemonade and I drink Sparkling Ice. Has the carbonation of soda without the sugar and other bad things.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

How long have you been in the forums? I've never seen a poster to not seek medical attention over concerns... its quite the opposite i've found.

The very first reply to the thread was demanding to know why she was giving it up. It went downhill from there for the next 5 pages.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? We have food labeling laws. ???

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both gave up soda. He drinks lemonade and I drink Sparkling Ice. Has the carbonation of soda without the sugar and other bad things.
    Sparkling Ice has dyes and artificial sweeteners and preservatives, just like diet soda. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink it, but don't be fooled.

• Azexas
    edited January 2015
    Options

The very first reply to the thread was demanding to know why she was giving it up. It went downhill from there for the next 5 pages.

Asking why is simply asking why.... No one was downright judgmental to the OP from what I saw. People offered different opinions and the thread got sidetracked.... which is pretty much the norm with these types of threads.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Sparkling Ice has dyes and artificial sweeteners and preservatives, just like diet soda. I'm not saying you shouldn't drink it, but don't be fooled.

Exactly... Unless it's fresh squeezed lemonade, then you're getting chemicals and sugar too. Sometimes MORE sugar.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Are you serious?

I took that as a joke. You know "jokes" the things you do not take seriously and sometimes laugh at.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke?s=t
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Asking why is simply asking why.... No one was downright judgmental to the OP. People offered different opinions and the thread got sidetracked......

+1
  • DucktasticallySlim
    DucktasticallySlim Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

It makes it hard for me to stay away from sweets too. The worst part is that I'm totally addicted to McDonald diet coke. Then there is all that other temptation on the menu. It's a bad situation.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Asking why is simply asking why.... No one was downright judgmental to the OP from what I saw. People offered different opinions and the thread got sidetracked.... which is pretty much the norm with these types of threads.

the question was to set her up to be judged.
  • Azexas
    Options

Asking why is simply asking why.... No one was downright judgmental to the OP. People offered different opinions and the thread got sidetracked......

+1

:)
  • Azexas
    Options

the question was to set her up to be judged.

Maybe, maybe not. I read it one way, you could have read it another.
  • XTiffers13X
    Options
    I drink diet pop once in a while. I can't have caffeine anymore.
This discussion has been closed.