Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The articles cited in the Harvard piece didn't prove anything. I already rebutted them all. The Harvard piece was far from definitive. Critical reading is a necessary skill when taking information on board. The words "may" and "might" are not used when presenting proven facts.
    Actually you didn't rebut anything, at least effectively. The Harvard article was well written and made an obvious point in a very non-sensational, straight forward way.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    The articles cited in the Harvard piece didn't prove anything. I already rebutted them all. The Harvard piece was far from definitive. Critical reading is a necessary skill when taking information on board. The words "may" and "might" are not used when presenting proven facts.

I don't need a study to tell me that I'm 105 pounds and 40 years old for almost 2 years now after mostly quitting soda. yay me! i think i'll stay off the soda.

EDIT: the 105 pounds for almost 2 years, not the 40.

What is your point? Your anecdata has nothing to do with any factual causation any more than anything else presented so far does.

I'm sure someone else who has maintained weight loss drinking soda will come along before long with their input to balance out your input and where exactly does that leave personal experience as evidence in the discussion? Right. As personal experience. Find whatever confirmation bias in things you want, it still doesn't stand in for facts or real science.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Actually you didn't rebut anything, at least effectively. The Harvard article was well written and made an obvious point in a very non-sensational, straight forward way.

Using words like "may" and "might" and citing abstracts and "studies" that showed correlation, not causation made a point? Oooooookay then.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't need a study to tell me that I'm 105 pounds and 40 years old for almost 2 years now after mostly quitting soda. yay me! i think i'll stay off the soda.

What is your point? Your anecdata has nothing to do with any factual causation any more than anything else presented so far does.

I'm sure someone else who has maintained weight loss drinking soda will come along before long with their input to balance out your input and where exactly does that leave personal experience as evidence in the discussion? Right. As personal experience. Find whatever confirmation bias in things you want, it still doesn't stand in for facts or real science.

means it works for some people and studies indicate that it might, even though it's not conclusive. that can be enough for the o.p. to try it. we don't need solid scientific irrefutable proof to try everything in life. so what's YOUR point?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

means it works for some people and studies indicate that it might, even though it's not conclusive. that can be enough for the o.p. to try it. we don't need solid scientific irrefutable proof to try everything in life. so what's YOUR point?

"Works" what do you mean "works"? You are seriously coming close to spouting woo here.

Diet soda doesn't affect CICO, as you came close to claiming earlier. So there's no "work" or not "work". If the OP wants to give up soda for whatever reason, that's fine and good, but if she wants to give it up for some misguided reason because she thinks she "HAS" to, there's no reason for it. That's MY point. And that's where science comes in. There should be a provable reason for NEEDING to forgo it.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    I drink diet Coke every day. I enjoy it and it's free at my office. :wink:

Hi can you let me know where you work and if you are hiring? :D

• Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

"Works" what do you mean "works"? You are seriously coming close to spouting woo here.

Diet soda doesn't affect CICO, as you came close to claiming earlier. So there's no "work" or not "work". If the OP wants to give up soda for whatever reason, that's fine and good, but if she wants to give it up for some misguided reason because she thinks she "HAS" to, there's no reason for it. That's MY point. And that's where science comes in. There should be a provable reason for NEEDING to forgo it.

I never said it affects CICO. I don't know why it helped lead to my ultimately being able to keep the weight off, but it seems to have. I don't need a scientific study to prove what it did to my own body. There doesn't need to be a provable reason to do anything in life that isn't harmful. If it helps keep weight off for someone, who the heck are you to tell them what to do just because there isn't definitive proof from science? Studies that say it MIGHT help are good enough for me to at least try it.

So how's your weight loss going?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Using words like "may" and "might" and citing abstracts and "studies" that showed correlation, not causation made a point? Oooooookay then.
    Believe whatever you like if that lets you enjoy your diet soda more. I'll believe science.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I never said it affects CICO. I don't know why it helped lead to my ultimately being able to keep the weight off, but it seems to have. I don't need a scientific study to prove what it did to my own body. There doesn't need to be a provable reason to do anything in life that isn't harmful. If it helps keep weight off for someone, who the heck are you to tell them what to do just because there isn't definitive proof from science? Studies that say it MIGHT help are good enough for me to at least try it.

My weight loss is going fine. I lose a pound every 5-6 days. I just started logging here in mid November.

You're off the point here, though. This isn't about YOU, it's about other people. Do they NEED to give up soda? NO. No one needs to give it up, it's a matter of preference because there's no scientific evidence that it causes problems or is harmful. It's really quite a simple argument I'm making.

If you go back to my first post in this thread, I pretty much told the OP that she didn't have to cut out all diet soda, but that if she felt the need to cut her intake for whatever reason that sparkling flavored seltzer was a good sub (it's what I used to drink when I felt I was drinking too much soda instead of water... again, personal preference because water is optimal, imo). I also added that after a period of giving it up, she might find that she could moderate her intake.

Like you, I find I have some diet soda every now and then. I'm drinking some right now because I had a taste for it. The only thing it's making me crave is water.

Also, how does diet soda make you gain weight? There are studies showing a correlation of extra weight and artificially sweetened beverage consumption for sure, but I don't believe the exact mechanism for how the two are linked has ever been shown. The Yale study I linked cited those earlier studies and provided a hypothesis for the cause. That Yale study started all the baloney about zero calorie beverages and sugar cravings. Nothing has ever been proven, though.

So... it's all still up in the air. I'm all for people finding things that work for them. Yay for what works for you, but honestly, restriction, as a general rule, has a really poor record of working as a sustainable way of things for a dieter. Urging people to restrict things they don't have to is just silly.

• pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a soda since October. It was difficult at first but now I feel better. Not as bloated and stuff. Personally I picked up the little squirt bottles of the fruity propel stuff to add to my water and it's good and apparently has b vitamins. You can also try hard candy if a constant sweet tooth is an issue. I keep fun sized chocolate on hand for those times I have to have chocolate which is my downfall
  • Aviva92
    Options

My weight loss is going fine. I lose a pound every 5-6 days. I just started logging here in mid November.

You're off the point here, though. This isn't about YOU, it's about other people. Do they NEED to give up soda? NO. No one needs to give it up, it's a matter of preference because there's no scientific evidence that it causes problems or is harmful. It's really quite a simple argument I'm making.

If you go back to my first post in this thread, I pretty much told the OP that she didn't have to cut out all diet soda, but that if she felt the need to cut her intake for whatever reason that sparkling flavored seltzer was a good sub (it's what I used to drink when I felt I was drinking too much soda instead of water... again, personal preference because water is optimal, imo). I also added that after a period of giving it up, she might find that she could moderate her intake.

Like you, I find I have some diet soda every now and then. I'm drinking some right now because I had a taste for it. The only thing it's making me crave is water.

Also, how does diet soda make you gain weight? There are studies showing a correlation of extra weight and artificially sweetened beverage consumption for sure, but I don't believe the exact mechanism for how the two are linked has ever been shown. The Yale study I linked cited those earlier studies and provided a hypothesis for the cause. That Yale study started all the baloney about zero calorie beverages and sugar cravings. Nothing has ever been proven, though.

So... it's all still up in the air. I'm all for people finding things that work for them. Yay for what works for you, but honestly, restriction, as a general rule, has a really poor record of working as a sustainable way of things for a dieter. Urging people to restrict things they don't have to is just silly.

yes, i know it isn't about ME. it's ABOUT THE OP WHO ASKED AND HAD ALREADY DECIDED TO GIVE UP DIET SODA. I SAID THAT IT WORKED FOR ME, SO WHY NOT TRY IT? STUDIES INDICATE THAT IT CAN HELP CURB CRAVINGS FOR SUGAR. SOOOOO, WHY NOT? NOW YOU'RE SAYING THAT RESTRICTION AS A GENERAL RULE HAS A POOR RECORD, BUT I RESTRICTED IT AND HAD A FANTASTIC RECORD. BOTH LOST WEIGHT AND RESTRICTED DIET SODA. I KNOW, SHOCKING! IF IT COULD WORK FOR ME, WHY COULDN'T IT WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE? I DIDN'T SAY THAT ANYONE NEEDS TO DO ANYTHING. POINT ME TO ONE POST WHERE I SAID THAT PEOPLE NEED TO GIVE UP DIET SODA. THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    and you know how people say that weightloss is hard? for me it was extremely easy once i gave up diet soda. was hard before that though.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I second that! Just go ahead and fax me an application :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

She didn't say it was about her.

It's about the OP, who decided to cut the pop out. That's their choice.

Honestly, why do you care if some random person has decided to stop drinking Diet Pepsi?

I really don't understand why people are so passionate about other people not eating or drinking something. Why do you care?
  • Aviva92
    Options
    if a person decides to try cutting out diet soda and it doesn't work to accomplish anything, they can go back to drinking it to their hearts content. how is this hurting them in any way?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

yes, i know it isn't about ME. it's ABOUT THE OP WHO ASKED AND HAD ALREADY DECIDED TO GIVE UP DIET SODA. I SAID THAT IT WORKED FOR ME, SO WHY NOT TRY IT? STUDIES INDICATE THAT IT CAN HELP CURB CRAVINGS FOR SUGAR. SOOOOO, WHY NOT? NOW YOU'RE SAYING THAT RESTRICTION AS A GENERAL RULE HAS A POOR RECORD, BUT I RESTRICTED IT AND HAD A FANTASTIC RECORD. BOTH LOST WEIGHT AND RESTRICTED DIET SODA. I KNOW, SHOCKING! IF IT COULD WORK FOR ME, WHY COULDN'T IT WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE? I DIDN'T SAY THAT ANYONE NEEDS TO DO ANYTHING. POINT ME TO ONE POST WHERE I SAID THAT PEOPLE NEED TO GIVE UP DIET SODA. THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.

1. A single study hypothesized that there might be a link between artificially sweetened beverage consumption and sweet craving. Nothing to do with weight loss. The same study also showed some data which did not support this. The data that led to the hypothesis came from rat studies.
    2. You seem heavily invested in seeing that the OP gives up diet soda and also believe that the chemicals MIGHT be harmful. They've been shown not to be. As a matter a fact, it's very convenient how the sugar craving bogeyman showed up after the whole "harmful" bogeyman was sent out to pasture. Those darn rats were to blame for the whole harmful thing being wrong to begin with. I wonder whatever will happen to the sugar/craving issue down the line. Hmmmmm.... dare I hypothesize?
    3. People just starting out need support for sustainable choices. Your experience was not the be all and end all. Opening the OP's eyes to the possibility that she doesn't NEED to restrict unless she WANTS to is all anyone else is talking about. For you, it was a sustainable choice, but that doesn't mean it will be so for anyone else.
    4. Link to prove it had ANYTHING to do with weight loss. It's always CICO. You started with a moderate stance and stated that you knew that you were restricting calories, but then as the thread went on, your claims linking your sustained success to refraining from diet soda consumption became linked with the whole craving thing. There's no proof for that. And we're back to the Yale study and your whole "who me?" I'm just sharing my experience innocent act here. You are making claims.

• cammythom
    Options
    I am trying to wean myself off diet coke because of the cost. Granted I was drinking 5-6 a day. Currently cutting off at 4 a day. I find myself just not drinking anything as a replacement, so I am going to have to adjust. I'm not looking to quit altogether, but limit it to 1 a day. Bought some Propel and will try the tea suggested.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Lol, free Polar seltzer, too. :wink:
  • Aviva92
    Options

1. A single study hypothesized that there might be a link between artificially sweetened beverage consumption and sweet craving. Nothing to do with weight loss. The same study also showed some data which did not support this. The data that led to the hypothesis came from rat studies.
    2. You seem heavily invested in seeing that the OP gives up diet soda and also believe that the chemicals MIGHT be harmful. They've been shown not to be. As a matter a fact, it's very convenient how the sugar craving bogeyman showed up after the whole "harmful" bogeyman was sent out to pasture. Those darn rats were to blame for the whole harmful thing being wrong to begin with. I wonder whatever will happen to the sugar/craving issue down the line. Hmmmmm.... dare I hypothesize?
    3. People just starting out need support for sustainable choices. Your experience was not the be all and end all. Opening the OP's eyes to the possibility that she doesn't NEED to restrict unless she WANTS to is all anyone else is talking about. For you, it was a sustainable choice, but that doesn't mean it will be so for anyone else.
    4. Link to prove it had ANYTHING to do with weight loss. It's always CICO. You started with a moderate stance and stated that you knew that you were restricting calories, but then as the thread went on, your claims linking your sustained success to refraining from diet soda consumption became linked with the whole craving thing. There's no proof for that. And we're back to the Yale study and your whole "who me?" I'm just sharing my experience innocent act here. You are making claims.

2. Back at you. You seem heavily invested in the o.p. not giving up diet soda. I truly don't care what the o.p. does in the end. I'm not heavily invested in her life choices.
    3. Didn't claim my experience is the be all and end all. I claimed that it worked for me and that's it. She also said she wants to do it herself.
    4. Don't need links. I know that I lost weight extremely easily and kept it off extremely easily whereas I couldn't before. I don't exactly know why, but giving up diet soda was one of the tweeks I made. I'm not about to go back to drinking it as much as I used to.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva, you have fought a brave fight whilst I have been sleeping and your support has been to encourage OP in her endeavour. I have awoken to find 110 more posts in this thread leading nowhere with people telling this girl to reintroduce soda into her diet. Why would she want to?? There are countless posts from people who have benefited healthwise and weightwise by giving it up. Poor OP has given up drinking diet soda (and possibly given up reading this thread) only to be told "start drinking it again but this time in MODERATION because it great stuff" She has made her choice and from what I have seen she is perfectly capable to deciding for herself what she drinks and doesn't drink. Her life, her body, her choice.

Personally, I think the less you drink the stuff the better. By the way, I checked some of the diaries of the people supporting soda - they don't drink it, they just want to encourage everyone to destroy the enamel on their teeth and drink a substance that gives their body no nutritional value whatsoever.

I noticed my post guiding OP to MFP's Facebook article has been buried and has 7 spam flags against it. I'm sure MFP's dietitian will be delighted to hear her article is spam. For those who want to read it, click on the FB icon at the top of this page, next to Log Out, at the top right hand corner and it will lead you directly there. Today there are recipes for "15 Nutritious Breakfasts for Busy People."

As for me, I am going to buy some of this tea suggested by Caribbean. Sounds good to me. :)
    An excellent tea to try is Aveda comforting tea. Its caffeine free and is sweetened with licorice root and peppermint. Oh, and its organic. A little pricey, but so good!!

As for OP, I think she has gained all she can from this thread and I wish her success in the future. She has made a wise choice in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.