Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    You know what else destroys tooth enamel? Wine, orange juice, white bread, potato chips, oranges, grapefruit, and white bread. Life's an enamel minefield. Best to play it safe and just eat chalk.

Yes these things and all food can damage tooth enamel but not to the same extent as 3 or 4 cans of soda per day. A lot of people are drinking copious amounts of soda and that will cause tooth decay without a doubt.

I think JPW is right - they are going to need good insurance for dentures. :D
    And, there are many people who do drink diet soda and eat things that are supposed to cause tooth decay and they have little to no cavities, or their teeth are just fine. I would say other factors come into place regarding tooth care than just what you eat.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    No scientific evidence from me either. I just saw with my own eyes a young mum give up diet soda and lose a massive amount of weight by doing just that one thing. Granted that once she had lost a huge amount of weight, it inspired her to continue and change her eating to nutritious food and to start exercising. Whilst drinking diet soda she did not have the energy or the inclination to improve her health.

She no longer drinks it or wants to drink it.

Nope, she definitely did not lose weight by giving up just diet soda because there are no calories in diet soda. She started eating less and/or created a deficit through exercise, because that's how weight is lost. However, it's wonderful that letting go of soda helped her get back her motivation.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do people log diet pop? I don't. I also don't log coffee or tea, but don't assume I haven't had any today.

If I logged regularly, which I don't, and if I drank diet coke, which I don't, I would log it. In fact, that would be a definite for me to log because then I would be able to see the difference when I stopped drinking it.

Lena, just how do you believe diet soda makes a person gain weight when there are no calorie in it?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Do people log diet pop? I don't. I also don't log coffee or tea, but don't assume I haven't had any today.

If I logged regularly, which I don't, and if I drank diet coke, which I don't, I would log it. In fact, that would be a definite for me to log because then I would be able to see the difference when I stopped drinking it.

Lena, just how do you believe diet soda makes a person gain weight when there are no calorie in it?

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

LOL! I love Chuck Norris.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    You know what else destroys tooth enamel? Wine, orange juice, white bread, potato chips, oranges, grapefruit, and white bread. Life's an enamel minefield. Best to play it safe and just eat chalk.

Yes these things and all food can damage tooth enamel but not to the same extent as 3 or 4 cans of soda per day. A lot of people are drinking copious amounts of soda and that will cause tooth decay without a doubt.
    Just washed down my red grapefruit with a can on diet Coke! And I'm most certainly having red wine tonight. :wink:

Tooth enamel ruining trifecta right there!

• Boreo
    Boreo Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, if you feel bad when drinking diet soda and you believe it may prevent losing your weight, I support you in quitting it. A reasonable belief in peace that something might not be good for you is just enough.

But you may want to look at this in a broader way. What do you want to achieve? You need to have some more convincing reason to quit something apart from that something sounds bad. You can just try to quit and see if it feels good. And then you may spot another drink or food you do not need.

I personally also do not like tap water, so I buy a local mineral water that has a great taste. Doesn't go with pizza? Who says you need to eat pizza?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This thread is bananas

• SLLRunner
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This thread is bananas
    Bananas are diet sodas in disguise.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    This thread is bananas

banana_despicable_me.gif:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It really, really is.

However, I hear that mashed bananas are a lovely alternative to diet pop.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It really, really is.

Not with all the hidden chemicals in diet bananas. But, at least they are calorie free.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    This thread is bananas

Better protect our enamel! lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    banana1ltriogrande.jpg

die thread, die.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

LOL! I love Chuck Norris.

One can only hope that there is diet soda in that Pepsi cup in front of Chuck Norris - that would make the gif perfect. Well, ideally it would be a can of Diet Coke, because Pepsi, blech!

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Boreo wrote: »
    OP, if you feel bad when drinking diet soda and you believe it may prevent losing your weight, I support you in quitting it. A reasonable belief in peace that something might not be good for you is just enough.

But you may want to look at this in a broader way. What do you want to achieve? You need to have some more convincing reason to quit something apart from that something sounds bad. You can just try to quit and see if it feels good. And then you may spot another drink or food you do not need.

I personally also do not like tap water, so I buy a local mineral water that has a great taste. Doesn't go with pizza? Who says you need to eat pizza?

So now we are on to trying to convince the OP that pizza is bad too?

OP - I don't think I ever answered your question about what to drink with pizza. That was an oversight on my part. Gotta be beer. /end thread

• WinoGelato
    Options
    It really, really is.

Darn - you beat me to it!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This thread is bananas

Sorry, bananas are bad for your tooth enamel. You want everyone to have bad teeth, don't you?

• devomae
    Options
    Try Zevia - I was addicted to Diet Coke, and switched to one Zevia per day. It takes a few weeks to get used to the lack of carbonation, but now I love it!
This discussion has been closed.