Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    people telling this girl to reintroduce soda into her diet.

People have not been doing that.
    Why would she want to??

SHE said she was struggling.
    There are countless posts from people who have benefited healthwise and weightwise by giving it up.

Weighwise, I am skeptical. Healthwise because some people have health issues with it, which OP hasn't said she does. However, again, no one cares whether OP drinks soda or not. But if someone says "how can I do this really hard thing--giving up carrots--I love and miss carrots," I would probably ask why she was giving up carrots. If she said "because they have lots of sugar, so I need to in order to lose weight," I'd certainly tell her she didn't need to. If she said that she wanted to anyway, just to test it out or because she was worried about the extent of her love for carrots or whatever, I'd recommend parsnips, but if the discussion about carrots pro and con continued in the thread I'd ALSO argue in that side discussion that carrots are totally consistent with weight loss, etc.

That seems to me to be precisely analogous to what happened here, and the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth from those who think no one must ever question the wisdom of giving up some BAD food is what's bizarre. OP was given lots of good advice about what to do to help her drop soda, assuming that's what she ends up wanting to do.
    By the way, I checked some of the diaries of the people supporting soda - they don't drink it, they just want to encourage everyone to destroy the enamel on their teeth and drink a substance that gives their body no nutritional value whatsoever.

Do people log diet pop? I don't. I also don't log coffee or tea, but don't assume I haven't had any today.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also started taking vitamin D during this round of losing weight which was another thing that I suspected helped, but for which resulted in gang wars when mentioned on mfp.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    and as for her "struggling", of course she is. it's hard to give up any habit you like. doesn't mean you can't get used to it and it no longer be struggling at all.

• Aviva92
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

I gave zero false information, but mamapeach had an issue with my claiming it possibly helped me lose weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    if a person decides to try cutting out diet soda and it doesn't work to accomplish anything, they can go back to drinking it to their hearts content. how is this hurting them in any way?

If someone is struggling to maintain a lower calorie eating plan and cuts out soda and blows the soda restriction and feels like she's off plan and decides to blow the whole diet, the extra restriction did not help.

If someone struggles with sticking to both and decides that since she can't give up soda she can't stick to a diet, it did not help.

As Evgeni mentioned studies have shown that will power is a finite commodity, so if she is using it up on diet soda (as she said) it could make things harder for her with respect to the diet.

Ultimately, her call, and no one has said otherwise, but these are legitimate things to be concerned about. IF she's fully informed and thinks it's worth it, great, but if she was doing it because she'd been told it was necessary (as happens about all kinds of weird stuff, see the person who thought eating tomatoes was bad and inconsistent with a diet because sugar), she should be informed that it's not necessary and she might be making things harder than she needs to.

Pretty sure this has all been explained. No one is begging OP to keep drinking soda.

Yup. That about sums it up.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Do people log diet pop? I don't. I also don't log coffee or tea, but don't assume I haven't had any today.

If I logged regularly, which I don't, and if I drank diet coke, which I don't, I would log it. In fact, that would be a definite for me to log because then I would be able to see the difference when I stopped drinking it.
  • orangegum
    Options
    Have you heard of Zevia? It's a great alternative to diet soda that's made with stevia extract. No aspartame, no caffiene, zero calories. Tastes great, I love the stuff. Also it might just be placebo, but it really curbs my appetite.

If that isn't your jam though, have you looked into carbonated water? I almost never drink tap anymore. San Pellegrino, Polar flavored water, Hint water, etc.
  • angelicpassage
    Options
    I know addiction. I am trying to give up Half and Half cream in my espresso. (I drink decaf ) Emergen C packets are a nice alternative to high sugar drinks as well as diet drinks.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I have no interest in getting people to drink diet soda. Read my first post in this thread. I believe it's on the first page. I even gave the OP some suggestions on helping her quit her habit.

I do have a great interest in people making unsubstantiated nonsense claims with no factual basis arguing an all or nothing approach. You know why? I've worked my way through 20 years of falling for that nonsense and coming out the other side.

If the OP wants to give up soda, that's great. She shouldn't be giving it because of trumped up nonsense, though. Everyone deserves the chance to make their choices based on knowing facts.

It's not nonesense that giving up diet soda helped me to lose weight. I also didn't say she needs to go for an all or nothing approach. Why does it matter so much to you why she gives it up?

Sorry, I haven't been overweight for 20 years in order to fall for as much nonesense as you apparently have.

You are missing my point.

Dieting is hard, and studies have shown that willpower isn't all that when it comes to human behavior. That's why restriction for restriction's sake is a bad policy for a dieter and why it usually ends up in failure. Note that I said usually. I know it worked for you.

OP is new here and new to this. She is already exercising willpower. Diet soda is not adding calories to her day. There's no reason to cut it for her weight loss goals. If she has another reason for wanting to that has a basis on personal preference... that's all well and fine, but if she's putting an undue restriction on herself based on an erroneous belief, than it's not doing her any favors to let her persist in that belief. So her why for quitting matters.

• Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I was studying I was drinking coke like water and ended up putting on over half a stone in less than one month so decided it was time to cut back. Drink coke zero once in awhile but often feel bloated afterwards. Thing is I like a cold drink a thirst quencher especially in the summer so I drink tonic water (slimline is just as tasty) lots of ice and a slice of lemon very refreshing I just love it. Oh and on a night out dancing I add a gin lol Anyway if you like something and it's not doing you any harm in moderation you should be okay. Hope you achieve your goal.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I have no interest in getting people to drink diet soda. Read my first post in this thread. I believe it's on the first page. I even gave the OP some suggestions on helping her quit her habit.

I do have a great interest in people making unsubstantiated nonsense claims with no factual basis arguing an all or nothing approach. You know why? I've worked my way through 20 years of falling for that nonsense and coming out the other side.

If the OP wants to give up soda, that's great. She shouldn't be giving it because of trumped up nonsense, though. Everyone deserves the chance to make their choices based on knowing facts.

It's not nonesense that giving up diet soda helped me to lose weight. I also didn't say she needs to go for an all or nothing approach. Why does it matter so much to you why she gives it up?

Sorry, I haven't been overweight for 20 years in order to fall for as much nonesense as you apparently have.

You are missing my point.

Dieting is hard, and studies have shown that willpower isn't all that when it comes to human behavior. That's why restriction for restriction's sake is a bad policy for a dieter and why it usually ends up in failure. Note that I said usually. I know it worked for you.

OP is new here and new to this. She is already exercising willpower. Diet soda is not adding calories to her day. There's no reason to cut it for her weight loss goals. If she has another reason for wanting to that has a basis on personal preference... that's all well and fine, but if she's putting an undue restriction on herself based on an erroneous belief, than it's not doing her any favors to let her persist in that belief. So her why for quitting matters.

dieting for me was easy after i elminated diet soda and added vitamin d to my diet. maybe i have more willpower than you. i can't speak for the o.p. though and really, neither can you. only she can speak for herself. it's not as though i didn't miss diet soda at first. i did. it helped me to lose weight though.

when you say all this erroneous belief, you're directly disagreeing with my claim that it might have helped me to lose weight. i think it did. i think that in a few years there will be more solid scientific proof of this.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Yes, that's what I'm doing. In fact, in my first post in the thread, I gave the OP tips on quitting her soda habit.

It's just so weird to me, I used to fall for this psuedo-science stuff about the evils of diet soda and that's part of why I quit it a while back myself.

Giving it up made no difference to my teeth, or my weight, or my cravings, or anything. Well, I did end up drinking more water. That was one of my goals and that was good. Still is. I prefer water and think that's for the best.

I still drink diet soda on occasion. All things in moderation.

• PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options

I gave zero false information, but mamapeach had an issue with my claiming it possibly helped me lose weight.

By what mechanism did giving up diet soda affect weight loss?

• Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

You guys are obviously not listening. She chose to give up diet soda for the chemicals not just to "suffer along" for a diet.
    OP I suggest you drink some chilled herbal tea or fresh squeezed lemonade is also extremely easy to make.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I said I didn't know why exactly it lead to weight loss, just that I gave it up and had an easier time than I ever had keeping the weight off.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    maybe i'm completely wrong about it having anything to do with it, but i'm still skinny, so who cares.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

You guys are obviously not listening. She chose to give up diet soda for the chemicals not just to "suffer along" for a diet.
    OP I suggest you drink some chilled herbal tea or fresh squeezed lemonade is also extremely easy to make.

The "chemicals" are a non-issue. They aren't harmful. The initial findings that made people think they were harmful were because they were harmful to rats. Subsequent findings proved that didn't translate to humans.

As for the sweet issue, I will propose that the idea that it keeps her sweet tooth going has been perpetuated by the Yale study. It was hypothesized in that and widely reported in the media. I'm sure she's picked up on it. Everyone has heard it.

It can be helpful, if you feel that you're consuming too much of something at the expense of something else (maybe the OP would like to drink more water) to give it up totally for a while. What will she miss most? Is it the flavor or the fizz? Seltzer with lemon or lime squeezed in will do nicely for fizz. I know for me fizz was the big factor, so that's my suggestion.

After a while, your tastes change, and you have some perspective, and soda can become part of your life again if you chose. The chemicals aren't harmful, it doesn't trigger cravings chemically, and you will have taken some time and broken your cycle of learned behavior with it.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I said I didn't know why exactly it lead to weight loss, just that I gave it up and had an easier time than I ever had keeping the weight off.

So nothing else changed? You weren't exercising differently? You didn't learn anything new like logging or measuring your food intake? You didn't change your diet? This was a controlled thing in direct comparison to previous experience and the only direct variable was diet soda? Right. Because that's how weight loss works.

• Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

So nothing else changed? You weren't exercising differently? You didn't learn anything new like logging or measuring your food intake? You didn't change your diet? This was a controlled thing in direct comparison to previous experience and the only direct variable was diet soda? Right. Because that's how weight loss works.

i lost the weight by logging, but then i stopped logging for a really long time and it stayed off. i do walk more. as i said, it's not necessarily the diet soda, but it could have helped.

when someone is trying to lose weight, it's highly doubtful that the one and only change they are going to make is eliminating diet soda.
This discussion has been closed.