Are the calories of a banana used differently to the calories of cake?

Options

Replies

• PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If all you're concerned about is weight, it doesn't make much difference. If you're also concerned about health and the ability to exercise, there are significant differences.

Great post, agree with this 100%
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lesinlc wrote: »
    I agree calories are calories but when you eat something sweet ( cake cookie etc ) your body will crave more

Your "body" doesn't crave more... you want the mouth feel, the sensation of tasting it, and a whole myriad of other sensory issues involved with eating the cake that involve pleasure.

I have a banging lentil loaf I made yesterday. After I finished my portion, I craved more, because it was so delicious and pleasant to eat. I didn't eat more because I'd had my portion. I had good sex with my husband earlier this week, I wanted more last night because I was thinking about it again, but he's sick. See how this works?

The cake has no magical properties. You like it, you think about it, you give in. You don't have to. You can pet a kitten and enjoy the experience and have a pleasure feed back and then walk away from the experience, but we're all TOLD that sugar is making victims of us and we buy into it. It's nice to have a scapegoat for lack of impulse control, but really, that's all it comes down to. A lack of impulse control.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    If all you're concerned about is weight, it doesn't make much difference. If you're also concerned about health and the ability to exercise, there are significant differences.

Why, the nutrients in a particular cake might just be what a person needs to meet their needs at a given moment in time.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options

The cake has no magical properties.

But it does increase dopamine, yes? Like sex - and I like both too ... ;)

It can be pretty hard to resist these chemicals in our brains - I need my dopamine fix.

But, need to lose weight more, and the reward of seeing that number on the scale go down and down is strong enough to make me count my sugar calories and really limit them.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »

It can be pretty hard to resist these chemicals in our brains - I need my dopamine fix.

But, need to lose weight more, and the reward of seeing that number on the scale go down and down is strong enough to make me count my sugar calories and really limit them.

The banana will also increase dopamine, so will a steak.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

bold is different for every person. Cake does not do that for me.
  • Ooci
    Options

Well that's brilliant, thanks. Honestly the most empowering thing I've read in a while. I'll choose the healthy dopamine version, thanks!

And just because SW got a bit of a pasting in this thread - and probably deservedly so - my high dopamine moment - getting "Miss Slinky" last autumn. Better than any cake or steak!

0D3118A3-238A-48AC-A8B1-EFBB75FAB0EF_zpsvapodg5y.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    if you eat your partner's cake of course the calories belong to him

true dat
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Well that's brilliant, thanks. Honestly the most empowering thing I've read in a while. I'll choose the healthy dopamine version, thanks!

And just because SW got a bit of a pasting in this thread - and probably deservedly so - my high dopamine moment - getting "Miss Slinky" last autumn. Better than any cake or steak!

ummmm ok...what is "miss slinky" and how is that relevant to this thread..???
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Someone else already pointed this out, but it bears repeating: a LOT of things increase dopamine. Pain increases dopamine too. That's not something magical that keeps you coming back for more in and of itself.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Cute picture!

With regards to dopamine - forget it.
    Really, the amount of steak dopamine, banana dopamine or cake dopamine are negligible.

10 minutes of dancing about, some sun, a little sex, yoga, heck, even calmly breathing while chanting all increase dopamine.

But the focus should be the majors not the little things - if you eat food with a large variety and include lots of fruits and vegetables, keep a reasonable cut, exercise regularly - that is all you need.

But, if you haven't focused on the majors - all the banana eating dopamine in the world won't fix poor basics.

Sticking to basics is HARD work. Being active is HARD in our modern world. A banana over cake or cake over banana isn't going to solve that.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Someone else already pointed this out, but it bears repeating: a LOT of things increase dopamine. Pain increases dopamine too. That's not something magical that keeps you coming back for more in and of itself.

Well that all depends on what you're into, I guess.

But it's true. Blaming food for your own impulse control issues is why so many people buy into the "good" food and "bad" food stuff. I mean sure, there are some foods that are so high in calories and low in nutrients for a small portion it can seem ridiculous, but if I want cake, I'm going to eat cake. Because if I don't, I'm going to eat a whole lot of cake later.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Just make banana cake and be done with it.

^^^ This guy

• sugardetox
    sugardetox Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you are going to increase your sugar intake just make sure that you are increasing your fiber intake accordingly.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Why, the nutrients in a particular cake might just be what a person needs to meet their needs at a given moment in time.

That's true, but if what a person needed was cake, then a banana just wouldn't do.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

Well that all depends on what you're into, I guess.

But it's true. Blaming food for your own impulse control issues is why so many people buy into the "good" food and "bad" food stuff. I mean sure, there are some foods that are so high in calories and low in nutrients for a small portion it can seem ridiculous, but if I want cake, I'm going to eat cake. Because if I don't, I'm going to eat a whole lot of cake later.

Well, that's true, about the what you're into part, and that brings up the matter of context. Because even if you're into pain, if you break your ankle, the dopamine release from that is not going to give you pleasurable feedback.

Which really goes to show how little dopamine release may play in all of this.

My own experiences with overeating were mostly psychological as an abuse and rape survivor. I either plain old ignored things or grasped at the food group blame game for a few years to avoid dealing with the underlying issues. I tend to wonder how many overeaters have underlying psychological issues and/or how much is just cultural from living in a society that just plain has lost sight of what a regular portion looks like AND a society that loves playing the victim card.

• CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The other thing people don't think about is how fast it travels through your body, such as whole foods compared to Processed box food or meat for that reason too, the whole foods will pass through at a much faster rate as it can dissolve and go through the intestines and out faster.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    CraigShift wrote: »
    The other thing people don't think about is how fast it travels through your body, such as whole foods compared to Processed box food or meat for that reason too, the whole foods will pass through at a much faster rate as it can dissolve and go through the intestines and out faster.

lol whaaaaattt...????

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    CraigShift wrote: »

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Take 100 cals of purified sugar
    Take 100 cals of beets

which do you think enters the blood stream faster?
    Or are you talking about waste?

And if you consider it within the context a normal meal or day - how do you think this should influence diet.

Processing tends to increase absorption rates not decrease.
  • Ooci
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

ummmm ok...what is "miss slinky" and how is that relevant to this thread..???

"Miss Slinky" is part of the reward system these diet groups build into their plan - there's Couple of the Year, Man of the Year, etc etc.

I didn't realise dopamine was released by behaviour as well as food until this thread. That's a lightbulb moment for me. If this is a happy chemical I can get from other things, then great. My slimming can really take off with the knowledge that it isn't only the junk that's going to hit that happy switch.