Are the calories of a banana used differently to the calories of cake?

Options

Replies

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Cute picture!

With regards to dopamine - forget it.
    Really, the amount of steak dopamine, banana dopamine or cake dopamine are negligible.

10 minutes of dancing about, some sun, a little sex, yoga, heck, even calmly breathing while chanting all increase dopamine.

But the focus should be the majors not the little things - if you eat food with a large variety and include lots of fruits and vegetables, keep a reasonable cut, exercise regularly - that is all you need.

But, if you haven't focused on the majors - all the banana eating dopamine in the world won't fix poor basics.

Sticking to basics is HARD work. Being active is HARD in our modern world. A banana over cake or cake over banana isn't going to solve that.

Wise words!

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lesinlc wrote: »
    I agree calories are calories but when you eat something sweet ( cake cookie etc ) your body will crave more

again you are conflating calories with will power/satiety/personal preference..not the same thing..

I eat one serving of ice cream and put it away ..no cravings…

Your body has hormonal responses to foods regardless of the caloric value. Just because you can have "1 serving" and have no hormonal response due to your diet, muscle tissue, testosterone levels etc. doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone bud. (even more so when you are comparing yourself to a female)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I agree calories are calories but when you eat something sweet ( cake cookie etc ) your body will crave more

again you are conflating calories with will power/satiety/personal preference..not the same thing..

Your body has hormonal responses to foods regardless of the caloric value. Just because you can have "1 serving" and have no hormonal response due to your diet, muscle tissue, testosterone levels etc. doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone bud. (even more so when you are comparing yourself to a female)

still does not change the fact that 100 calories of apple = 100 calories of cake, sweetie...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't buy playing the female card. I can have 1 spoonful of ice cream and walk away.

It's not near as often about hormonal responses as some would like it to be.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Our womanly hormones don't take away control of our diets, though. They can certainly make it harder for some, but I can have one serving of ice cream and put it down even during PMS or TOM. I wasn't always able to and it took me a long time to get here, but this topic is about how our bodies process foods, not about what we can and can't do in the face of powerful cravings. Again, you're conflating two different things.

• Tedebearduff
    Options

still does not change the fact that 100 calories of apple = 100 calories of cake, sweetie...

They have the same caloric values but your body wouldn't digest them the same, princess.

An apple would contain Y fiber and X carbs

Cake has Y fiber, X carbs, Z fat, V potassium, H protein, ZZ sodium, AB Cholesterol ...

Your body would not break down the 2 the same and would not have the same hormonal response even though the caloric value is identical.

• ndj1979
    Options

They have the same caloric values but your body wouldn't digest them the same, princess.

Cake has Y fiber, X carbs, Z fat, V potassium, H protein, ZZ sodium, AB Cholesterol ...

Your body would not break down the 2 the same and would not have the same hormonal response even though the caloric value is identical.

if you are talking about TEF then yes, but the affect is minimal.

The amount of wrongness in all of your posts is amazing, yet you keep trying...

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't buy playing the female card. I can have 1 spoonful of ice cream and walk away.

It's not near as often about hormonal responses as some would like it to be.

But you know, no ovaries, no opinion.
    The hormones made me do it.

What hormones are primarily released when someone eats a banana?
    or cake?

Why ... that's insulin!
    In boys. and in girls!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The "calories", the energy in food, is not used differently. Your body needs energy, and it has certain processes to get it and use it that do not differentiate between a banana and a cake. Now a banana and a cake are different in terms of nutrients they have, so they affect the body's nutrient reserves differently. Take a look at the comparison for roughly the same amount of calories for banana and sponge cake (banana to the left):

oaxyo95wd2wx.jpg

You can see that the banana has overall more nutrients for the same amount of calories AND is 3 times the size of said cake, so if you had no particular preference a banana would be a better choice micronutrient and volume-wise.

Slimming World does what it does because these "free" foods are more nutrient-rich and would fill you up better. They are trying to cultivate sustainable habits. 1500 calories of chocolate, for example, is roughly 300 grams of chocolate or less and that for a whole moderate deficit day. "Free" foods offer you a bigger variety of nutrients and are more sustainable in volume as a meal. The program still allows "syns" foods, but tries to moderate them so they don't take over the calorie allowance.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Man, they really should have thought about that whole "syns" spelling thing.

I swear a kitten must die or something every time someone uses it. It's that cringe-worthy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The "calories", the energy in food, is not used differently. Your body needs energy, and it has certain processes to get it and use it that do not differentiate between a banana and a cake. Now a banana and a cake are different in terms of nutrients they have, so they affect the body's nutrient reserves differently. Take a look at the comparison for roughly the same amount of calories for banana and sponge cake (banana to the left):

oaxyo95wd2wx.jpg

You can see that the banana has overall more nutrients for the same amount of calories AND is 3 times the size of said cake, so if you had no particular preference a banana would be a better choice micronutrient and volume-wise.

Slimming World does what it does because these "free" foods are more nutrient-rich and would fill you up better. They are trying to cultivate sustainable habits. 1500 calories of chocolate, for example, is roughly 300 grams of chocolate or less and that for a whole moderate deficit day. "Free" foods offer you a bigger variety of nutrients and are more sustainable in volume as a meal. The program still allows "syns" foods, but tries to moderate them so they don't take over the calorie allowance.

Except no one eats a banana or cake in a vacuum.

While it might seem a better choice, variety trumps single choices. And neither is a single better choice in a varied and veg/fruit rich diet. There is no extra credit for never eating the cake.

The idea of moderation and making sure that variety makes the bulk of calorie allowance makes sense - but there is no need to be reductive and use terms that create negative food connotations (what the hell is "syns" anyway? oh, more dead kittens).

And the cake is a better calcium, iron, B12 and selenium source.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...but a banana is going to obviously have a greater nutritional profile. A calorie is just a unit of energy...so no...your body doesn't process energy any differently.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

oaxyo95wd2wx.jpg

While it might seem a better choice, variety trumps single choices. And neither is a single better choice in a varied and veg/fruit rich diet. There is no extra credit for never eating the cake.

The idea of moderation and making sure that variety makes the bulk of calorie allowance makes sense - but there is no need to be reductive and use terms that create negative food connotations (what the hell is "syns" anyway? oh, more dead kittens).

Read please. I already explained both fulfill different nutrient reserves differently. I did not superfood one and villainize another. Now in an isolated case where you are presented with both a piece of cake and a banana but had no particular preference for either, a banana would be better satiety and nutrient density-wise. Does that mean cake is bad? No. Does that mean cake does not perform better on certain nutrients? No. All it means a banana has a bigger nutrient density and a larger size/weight for the same amount of calories which is why such weight loss programs tend to encourage one and moderate another (which was what OP wanted to know).

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Now I want banana bread.
  • Tedebearduff
    Options

if you are talking about TEF then yes, but the affect is minimal.

The amount of wrongness in all of your posts is amazing, yet you keep trying...

Thanks buddy :blush:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

oaxyo95wd2wx.jpg

Read please. I already explained both fulfill different nutrient reserves differently. I did not superfood one and villainize another. Now in an isolated case where you are presented with both a piece of cake and a banana but had no particular preference for either, a banana would be better satiety and nutrient density-wise. Does that mean cake is bad? No. Does that mean cake does not perform better on certain nutrients? No. All it means a banana has a bigger nutrient density and a larger size/weight for the same amount of calories which is why such weight loss programs tend to encourage one and moderate another (which was what OP wanted to know).

Ok, works for me.

However, what I don't get - labeling certains foods as 'syns', how is that not 'villainizing' these food? We can't call food nutrient-dense?

I think what the op was asking goes a bit beyond why weight loss programs encourage one type of food versus another.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't use SW.[/

Mmm, I think it doesn't work for many. My observations over a year there show people lose weight initially and then plateau and leave. Apparently they often gain weight and then come back to SW to do it all again...

However it has taught me healthy eating, I just used to live on sugar and fat!

Thanks for all the other replies - so interesting to me as I've been struggling with these issues. Sorry to the people who've read it a million times before xxx

First bold line: that must be their business model and how they profit via return clients. Awesome picture of you, though! So congrats that you learned what you needed to from them.

Second bold line: no need to apologize. Countless topics here are repeated daily due to new posters all the time. If the regulars don't want to read another thread on a duplicate topic they need to just skip it; no comment is necessary, IMO.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    well since I despise banana's the choice is obviously cake.. FTW! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You could eat 1,500 calories of donuts for six months, or 1,500 calories of fish, salad, Greek Yogurt, eggs, chicken and vegetables for six months. If you lose 20.6 lbs. eating donuts you will lose exactly 20.6 lbs eating the healthy stuff, as per 98% of the posters on this site.

Pay no attention to the hundreds of articles and studies, and dozens of recently published books that state anything else than a calorie is a calorie. Every single one of the writers them are scam artists just trying to make a buck. It's like stating the earth is flat.

Enjoy your donuts.

LOL and who is making the argument that anyone should eat nothing but donuts for six months??? Nice Straw man ...

but yes you are right, the weight loss would be the same...because calories are units of energy ...

what most people are arguing is that overall diet, context, and dosage is what matter..not individual foods...