Are the calories of a banana used differently to the calories of cake?

Options
Does the body react to certain foods differently - let's say bananas versus donuts? Or does it not make any difference?

I'm aware of the low GI foods and yes I wholeheartedly agree that lentil soup with loads of veg is going to be a better lunch than a syrup sponge, in terms of sustaining you through the afternoon, and stopping you binge eating when you feel starving.

I suppose what I'm driving at is if you were inclined to go over on calories would be less likely to gain weight if you stuck to healthy foods or would it simply not matter?

As discussed in another thread I attend Slimming World and though I strongly disagree with their view on calorie counting ( they think calorie counting is unsustainable as a life plan and therefore doomed to fail for lifetime health habits) I am interested in their strong stance on Free Food rather than Syns. Free Food in SW is lean meat, fish, raw fruit, veg, pulses, potatoes, rice and pasta. You can eat as much as you want to fill you up but you mustn't boredom eat and your plate should be half veg, one quarter lean meat or fish, and one quarter the potato, rice, pasta or pulse choice. On top of that you're allowed 15 points of "syns" which you could use for extra bread (you're allowed 120g wholemeal bread per day anyway) or chocolate or wine or whatever - you don't get very much. for your 15 points though.

So, in the evening, if you're starving, Slimming World suggest you blitz up salmon with quark and dip sticks of celery or cucumber in, or have some spiced chickpeas roasted in Frylight, or some fruit, or ham roll-ups, or a hard-boiled egg, or a skinless chicken drumstick.

Would the body process 120 cals worth of those sorts of snacks differently to a 120 cal chocolate bar?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    no.jpg
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    nah, your body doesnt say, "hey! cake! let's process it this way! Oh, a banana? That is processed that way."

I think what SW is getting at is a balance of carbs/fats/etc, whereas if you just ignored their snack suggestions and ate cake, the portions are uncontrollable, filled with sugars/carbs that might throw off their "calculation" off of what makes a good-food day.

Not totally sure, just a thought.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    :D
    Brilliant, thank you. I always suspected it was a load of old cobblers.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In a generally balanced diet, with a good variety of food including fruits and vegetables, NO, it does not make a difference for weight loss. Total calories is the first factor.

In some extreme cases, due to specific health conditions, macro nutrient partitioning (how much carbs vs fats vs proteins) might make a difference but total calories is still the first factor.

Look at your total diet - not the cake in front of you. You can have the occasional cake (if you can manage moderation) without any issue.

Satiety is a factor and if you expect to be full with a 200 cals of chocolate vs 200 cals of bok choi. The latter is more filling. But again, total diet view and choices override any single meal.

Long term adherence...
  • Ooci
    Options
    Thank you. Helpful xxx
  • lukeka2b
    lukeka2b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All very true, but I can eat a piece of fruit and be content. When I eat the cake, I want more. Maybe it's just me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    lukeka2b wrote: »
    All very true, but I can eat a piece of fruit and be content. When I eat the cake, I want more. Maybe it's just me.

Like I said, satiety is a (personal) factor. Personally - activity levels and what I've been eating the prior days is more of an issue than any one item. If I've been eating poorly, no single fruit is going to calm my hunger.

Again, the overall factors leading to total diet diversity are more important than any single item.

• Ooci
    Options
    If I've been eating poorly, no single fruit is going to calm my hunger.

This really strikes a chord - thank you.

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    Does the body react to certain foods differently - let's say bananas versus donuts? Or does it not make any difference?

I'm aware of the low GI foods and yes I wholeheartedly agree that lentil soup with loads of veg is going to be a better lunch than a syrup sponge, in terms of sustaining you through the afternoon, and stopping you binge eating when you feel starving.

I suppose what I'm driving at is if you were inclined to go over on calories would be less likely to gain weight if you stuck to healthy foods or would it simply not matter?

As discussed in another thread I attend Slimming World and though I strongly disagree with their view on calorie counting ( they think calorie counting is unsustainable as a life plan and therefore doomed to fail for lifetime health habits) I am interested in their strong stance on Free Food rather than Syns. Free Food in SW is lean meat, fish, raw fruit, veg, pulses, potatoes, rice and pasta. You can eat as much as you want to fill you up but you mustn't boredom eat and your plate should be half veg, one quarter lean meat or fish, and one quarter the potato, rice, pasta or pulse choice. On top of that you're allowed 15 points of "syns" which you could use for extra bread (you're allowed 120g wholemeal bread per day anyway) or chocolate or wine or whatever - you don't get very much. for your 15 points though.

So, in the evening, if you're starving, Slimming World suggest you blitz up salmon with quark and dip sticks of celery or cucumber in, or have some spiced chickpeas roasted in Frylight, or some fruit, or ham roll-ups, or a hard-boiled egg, or a skinless chicken drumstick.

Would the body process 120 cals worth of those sorts of snacks differently to a 120 cal chocolate bar?

Here is the only way my body "processes" it different........250 calories of a good Low GI food like lentil soup (Body says: Ooo tasty...ok, not hungry until the next meal") whereas when I eat 250 calories of say, cake here is what my body says (Body: "You FOOL, you have reactive hypoglycemia! You never learn.. enjoy your blood sugar of 58 and make sure to eat something with protein before the migraines kick in!) And then I have to eat another 300 calories worth of food to correct my blood sugar, so now I am 300 calories over where I thought I would be.

Anyone who DOESNT have blood sugar issues, would be fine.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If all you're concerned about is weight, it doesn't make much difference. If you're also concerned about health and the ability to exercise, there are significant differences.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't use SW.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a unit of energy ..

so 100 calories of banana = 100 calories of cake

also viewing food as "free" and "syns " is just setting you up for a bad relationship with food.

hitting your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day is what is important, not individual food choice….

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    no.jpg

+1
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If all you're concerned about is weight, it doesn't make much difference. If you're also concerned about health and the ability to exercise, there are significant differences.

this.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lukeka2b wrote: »

your personal preference does not change the fact that 50 calories of fruit = 50 calorie of cake…

• lesinlc
    Options
    I agree calories are calories but when you eat something sweet ( cake cookie etc ) your body will crave more
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lesinlc wrote: »
    I agree calories are calories but when you eat something sweet ( cake cookie etc ) your body will crave more

again you are conflating calories with will power/satiety/personal preference..not the same thing..

I eat one serving of ice cream and put it away ..no cravings…

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, no. There may be a thermal effect difference, but it would be slight.

However, a lot of people do have medical issues such as insulin resistance, in which case food choice and balance are more important.
  • Ooci
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't use SW.[/

Mmm, I think it doesn't work for many. My observations over a year there show people lose weight initially and then plateau and leave. Apparently they often gain weight and then come back to SW to do it all again...

However it has taught me healthy eating, I just used to live on sugar and fat!

Thanks for all the other replies - so interesting to me as I've been struggling with these issues. Sorry to the people who've read it a million times before xxx
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    Just make banana cake and be done with it.