reboot with Juicing fast

Options

Replies

• Time2sow
    Time2sow Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    the juicing trend thankfully caught me a year or so ago. i was a 43 yo with a lifetime of making potatoes, corn, and iceberg lettuce my only vegetables. i had two problems: taste (bitterness!) and texture (ug, it's crunchy then slimy/mushy/seedy/leafy).

no fruits. but i juiced tens of pounds of veggies for about 2-3 months. 2-4 times a week. as a psychologist, i knew i'd habituate and because the stuff actually makes you feel good, the scrunched up medicine-face i wore drinking it turned into a yum! craving face in that time.

once i got the flavor to be a positive association, i went back to the whole foods. roasting beets, sweet potatoes... steaming brocolli (it's SWEET!!) and cauliflower... spinach and romaine and spring mix leafies... and i put my juicer away except for summer when it's nice and refreshing sometimes to have a light juice instead of a snack.

so i dont think juicing veggies as a health hack is totally bullkaka, at least in some cases. it wont be a weight loss tool of any worth, in the medium term.. but in the long term my weight loss has clearly been substainable easier when i have produce choices i didnt have 2 years ago.

also, i think a lot of you snarkier types should take that to another site than one where people are looking for support and encouragement. i can offer a few recommendations for more appropriate forums for sarcasm if this is your first week on the internet.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The OP isn't talking about introducing vegetable juice into her diet. She's talking about only drinking juice and not eating any actual food. Totally different from what you're talking about, which is actually a wonderful idea.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Time2sow wrote: »
    the juicing trend thankfully caught me a year or so ago. i was a 43 yo with a lifetime of making potatoes, corn, and iceberg lettuce my only vegetables. i had two problems: taste (bitterness!) and texture (ug, it's crunchy then slimy/mushy/seedy/leafy).

no fruits. but i juiced tens of pounds of veggies for about 2-3 months. 2-4 times a week. as a psychologist, i knew i'd habituate and because the stuff actually makes you feel good, the scrunched up medicine-face i wore drinking it turned into a yum! craving face in that time.

once i got the flavor to be a positive association, i went back to the whole foods. roasting beets, sweet potatoes... steaming brocolli (it's SWEET!!) and cauliflower... spinach and romaine and spring mix leafies... and i put my juicer away except for summer when it's nice and refreshing sometimes to have a light juice instead of a snack.

so i dont think juicing veggies as a health hack is totally bullkaka, at least in some cases. it wont be a weight loss tool of any worth, in the medium term.. but in the long term my weight loss has clearly been substainable easier when i have produce choices i didnt have 2 years ago.

also, i think a lot of you snarkier types should take that to another site than one where people are looking for support and encouragement. i can offer a few recommendations for more appropriate forums for sarcasm if this is your first week on the internet.

So you are scolding us for being snarky while being snarky?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    The OP isn't talking about introducing vegetable juice into her diet. She's talking about only drinking juice and not eating any actual food. Totally different from what you're talking about, which is actually a wonderful idea.

^This. And no one on this site is going to say don't eat veggies/fruits or that drinking it as part of a meal or a replacement for a meal every now and again is totally horrible.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

TBH I don't want to know what web fora an adult who has to trick themselves into liking vegetables visits. Also, OP is trying to convince people to join her on a diet that frequently leads to rebound weight while telling us we don't need fiber. I don't think it's wrong to call her out on it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

I read this whole post in Farnsworth's voice. Made it funnier.
    :laugh:

farnsworth-smoking-a-carrot-o.gif
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »

I read this whole post in Farnsworth's voice. Made it funnier.
    :laugh:

farnsworth-smoking-a-carrot-o.gif

I hope you posted that in the soda=smoking thread.

uhyubme6o2xd.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

so encouraging dumb ideas is what you think this forum is all about?

nah, we'll stay.
  • cmjads27
    cmjads27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to add juices into my diet. I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old right now so I do need to be careful with supply, but I'm definitely wanting to have a much more colorful balance. If you liked fat sick and nearly dead, watch some of the other documentaries Netflix has. Vegucated, Forks over Knives. As much as I love Chick Fil A, after watching Vegucated and seeing how animals are destroyed by the meat industry, I'm not sure I even have the heart to walk in one ever again. Maybe juicing and plant based diets puts people off or they think its a joke, but seeing baby chicks ground alive and calfs dragged away from their mothers as they try desperately to hold onto nursing, turned my stomach so its no less crazy than that. The documentaries really do have so much stuff that makes so much sense even if they do seem a bit extreme to start off with.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, Vegucated, Forks over Knives...these do not meet my definition of what is a documentary. That implies that they are a non-biased presentation of factual scientific or historical information. Documentary makes me think of PBS or the History Channel. Those movies do no such thing. They are one sided propaganda developed by groups (such as PETA) with the sole purpose of shock and awe. They choose the most graphic, over the top situations and present them as if they are the rule as opposed to being the exception. I take special offence to the ones that make people think all meat production is bad. FTR...my angus cows are spoiled brats. Happy cows make happy meat. My pigs knew their names and liked to have their heads scratched. And made the most amazing bacon I have ever put in my mouth. But I digress.

And to the OP...STILL WAITING ON YOUR REFERENCES.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Man, I hate that I missed the rest of this jewel of a thread.
  • dagucrew
    dagucrew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally, this type of program is working for me. I want to get healthy. I'm not a bored white woman (wow-what a racist comment). I've been on a plant based diet for more than a few years and juicing is a way of life for me. My doctor approves and my family loves my upbeat attitude and energy. Smoothie in the am, juice throughout the day, sensible dinner. It's no more ridiculous than eating like a caveman, living on bacon and vodka and all the other unhealthy lo-carb fad approved foods, or chugging down chemically laced "meal replacement supplements" and helping someone achieve the next level on the sales pyramid. If being unsupportive and having a crap attitude burned calories, you would all be at your goal weight, off your cholesterol and bp meds, and living a productive life. CTFO. We're all on the same journey. And scubamaja, I applaud you! juice on! The name of the documentary is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" not Juice your way to a bikini. Some of us are more concerned about health.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    dagucrew wrote: »
    Personally, this type of program is working for me. I want to get healthy. I'm not a bored white woman (wow-what a racist comment). I've been on a plant based diet for more than a few years and juicing is a way of life for me. My doctor approves and my family loves my upbeat attitude and energy. Smoothie in the am, juice throughout the day, sensible dinner.

So ... not a juice fast. Got it.
  • dagucrew
    Options
    I don't understand the angst here. Maybe you all are just hangry. I'd love to know what you all are eating. and if someone is eating to live and works juicing into their lifestyle, so what? why/how is this threatening to you?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The movie this is based on isn't a documentary ... the perpetrator of the fake documentary gained most of the weight back ... there is absolutely no science backing the claims of any of these detoxes and fasts ... however those who point these things out are somehow threatened? That is a laughable concept ... especially to those of us who eat more calories per day than our brain needs to function.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have beer and pizza for dinner tonight ... so much for the "hangry" concept. The multi-plate brunch buffet and milkshake earlier were delicious as well. Yes, I maintain eating that much.
  • dagucrew
    Options
    good for you brianperkins! I'm happy that you are able to eat the foods you enjoy.

Did you happen to see the second shameful snake oil infomercial-Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2? In fact, Joe Cross has not gained his weight back. More importantly, he is off his many medications and pretty healthy for a former fat guy.

I just had a delicious giant salad and some 10 bean soup. I don't eat animals and yes-I do get plenty of protein.

Thank you for your concern for the welfare of those of us who use juicing to promote our own good health. It all begins with a lively dialogue!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    OH .. you actually believe psuedo-documentaries. I'm sorry.

Have you seen the peer reviewed studies of experiments that can be replicated showing any benefit of a juice fast or other detox? Of course not because they don't exist.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    dagucrew wrote: »
    Personally, this type of program is working for me. I want to get healthy. I'm not a bored white woman (wow-what a racist comment). I've been on a plant based diet for more than a few years and juicing is a way of life for me. My doctor approves and my family loves my upbeat attitude and energy. Smoothie in the am, juice throughout the day, sensible dinner. It's no more ridiculous than eating like a caveman, living on bacon and vodka and all the other unhealthy lo-carb fad approved foods, or chugging down chemically laced "meal replacement supplements" and helping someone achieve the next level on the sales pyramid. If being unsupportive and having a crap attitude burned calories, you would all be at your goal weight, off your cholesterol and bp meds, and living a productive life. CTFO. We're all on the same journey. And scubamaja, I applaud you! juice on! The name of the documentary is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" not Juice your way to a bikini. Some of us are more concerned about health.

^^^Supports juicing fasts/diets... Calls low carb a "fad" diet. Seems legit.

Also, deeming foods "unhealthy" doesn't inherently make them unhealthy. NOTHING is off limits, as long as you meet your macro/micro goal for the day. If you have some calories left after you meet your goals, then there's no reason someone can't have one of those "unhealthy" foods.

Advising a healthy relationship with all foods does NOT equal being unsupportive.