Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Presleykay22
    Presleykay22 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Not comfortable with my appearance.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    High blood sugar and cholesterol.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The first time, my mum died of a heart attack at 51 years old. I was terrified and got my s**t together, lost 40 lbs. Fear only lasts so long and I gained about 50 lbs.
    The second time, we went kayaking and I fell out of my boat into the lake. I struggled to pull myself up onto the boat multiple times until I was weak and out of breath, almost in tears. It wasn't just fear of death at that point but fear of being incapable of doing the things I love. Whenever I lose motivation, I look back to the picture of me sitting on my boat and realize how awful I look and how my boyfriend (being the awesome guy he is) had to tow me back to shallow waters to get back on :s
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Being 100 pounds more then my fiance and he is only 5ft8 and I am 5ft 2. Being 338 4/23/2015 at the doctors office. And him being 238. Looked at it and was like Omg.. I have been struggling all my life. But I am 33 and I want to be fit before I turn 35! Hoping before 34 but I am not sure if I can lose 200 pounds in a year.. Going to see my first trainer today and hoping to find a job so I can afford it next month! Being a very picky eater and love the candy is very hard for me. I hate being in pain when I walk (shopping on hard floors at Walmart/Target) but the wierdist thing is I don't hurt when I walk on the pavement around my block.

If anyone wants a friend that also can help motivate me please add me!

(going to see dietitian tomorrow and I can't wait to see what she has planned for me! Biggest Loser winner @ home here I come!)
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is week one for me, what brought me here. I've battled weight for most of my life. Lost it all in my late 20's, but something about being treated so differently...I think it scared me some. Now, in my late 40's, I'm in a doctoral program and am mentally healthier and more secure than I ever have been. Except I hide. I don't want anyone to see me, I'm so huge, out of shape, walking hurts. It's ridiculous. I am blessed with beautiful skin, a lovely face, a good brain, a wonderful heart...and I hide in fat.

I can not hide any longer. I need to live more in this life. And I have to do it now, I've played the start on Monday for far too long. So here I am, week one. 4 days of tracking and working out, and I already feel a little better.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    For me it all started with a picture. When I was younger I was in wonderful shape, extremely active, and constantly moving. I had never considered what or how much of anything I was putting into my body.

After leaving the Army in 2005, the weight started to creep up unnoticed. It was a picture of myself from Thanksgiving of 2009 that finally put me over the edge. Tipping the scales at 286 I couldn't believe what I looked like.

Since that time I have lost, went back up, and am on my way back down now.
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I decided I didn't want the same medical conditions my parents and grandparents have. I'm not on a diet I'm living a healthier lifestyle. Eating everything in moderation and moving a whole lot more than I ever had even as a child/teenager.
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hitting size 14..... :/ now
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    After a sports injury I slowly put on weight for 8 years. 100 pounds it turned out, although I didn't know the actual number until last summer as I was too afraid to weigh myself.

My "aha" moment came when I broke down to buy a pair of pants and discovered that I had to buy 38's for the first time and they didn't even fit that well.

I might have forgotten about that moment except was reminded in the few summer 2014 vacation photos I was in... there were the pants.

I started running in August and kept on going all winter long. 700km+ later and the pants are long gone, the belt is cinched in to notch 5 from notch 1, but I still have a ways to go before reaching my goal weight of 8 1/2 years ago.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finding the shorts I wore to my last half-marathon nearly six years ago.

I spent the next few years dealing with a few family deaths, including my mother's illness, and unemployment, and an abusive relationship with a chef (of all types), so I've put on some padding.

I'm not obese by any means, I still look good, but I miss feeling strong and badass and-yes-want to fit into those tiny running shorts again.
  • tacastan
    tacastan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One day I took a good look in the mirror and decided it was time to lose weight and get health, so that I can enjoy the finer things in life. So I started got to the gym and quite chewing.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    when I was 260 and barely able to fit in a 42" waist pants

29509743.png
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight for years and years. Even though I have regularly been working out at a gym for most of the last 15 years, I still have not paid enough attention to my eating habits to keep my weight down. As I got older. I noticed so many older people getting knee replacements and knew I would be heading in the same direction very quickly if I did not get more serious.

It is sure takes so much longer to lose than to gain weight though. I lost 25 pounds in 4 years and then could not lose more. So I started MFP tracking calories in July 2014, but lose only 2 or 3 pounds a month, even though I am eating less than 1300 calories a day and continue my gym routine 3 days a week for an hour. But I have lost 22 more, and still will continue but it is an up hill battle every day.

70044776.png
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I didn't decide to lose weight when I first started. I decided to quit eating so many refined carbs (pasta, breads, sweets, sweet tea) and the pounds came off so easily from a reduced caloric intake. I loved it so much I decided to stick with it and track my foods to get down to a healthy and comfortable weight.
  • NikkiShells81
    NikkiShells81 Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Only 33 years old and had a health scare last October with heart palpitations due to stress and too much caffeine. I used to drink 600-700 calories a day of Mtn. Dew. Scared me enough that I quit cold turkey and haven't had a soda in 6 months. Have no desire for it. Started my new lifestyle and am down 63 lbs since mid-October. Still a long way to go but I feel great and know I will accomplish my goal!
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized I needed to lose weight, I had been looking at old photos of myself and I didn't like the way I looked let alone how I felt.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized I needed to lose weight, I had been looking at old photos of myself and I didn't like the way I looked let alone how I felt.
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ldbg289 wrote: »

I can relate. I'm focused and ready to get back camera ready.
  • K_saine
    K_saine Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't wear majority of my clothes because they were too tight... That and the pictures that people keep tagging me in on facebook make me super huge... I can see my fat bulging everywhere
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    When I stood in the doctors office on the scales and heard the nurse say out loud 95kg and shake her head, the other nurses joined in. How horrible!! Well I can't wait to reach my goal for this month, go in to that doctors and rub my weight loss in their face. Also decided my kids need their mum to be around for a long time!!