You burned how much?!

Options
Don't get me wrong, I love to see that people are working out or doing some sort of activity, but....I do hate when people say, "I just cleaned HARDCORE" or "I just went on a walk for an hour" and they burned almost 600 calories? I mean, I'm not a beast or anything, when I work out it's only for a half hour at a pop right now and I only burn about 250-270 cals depending. How is it that these people are burning so much? Is it all just too over-exaggerated like I'm assuming it is? To tell the truth, it kinda' irritates me....BTW, please no negative comments, I've seen a lot of them lately. Thanks

Replies

• hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I exercise for about 50 minutes, and I burn between 500 and 600 calories. I put the incline up to 18, and fast walk at about 3.7-3.9 mph. You can really start to feel it in that time, and I was surprised that by bumping the incline up ALL the way, it burns pretty much the same as I would if I was jogging the whole time.

(I'm 4"11, 118 lbs. )

Hope that helps!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the exercise is. I hear that both kettle bell, and Zumba can burn that much or potentially even more in an hour depending on intensity.

As far as house cleaning goes....I very seriously doubt it. Its got to be over exaggerated unless they're constantly moving heavy furniture and / or boxes in addition to running around the house like a maniac non-stop...and unless they've got a heart rate monitor to give them a ball park figure off of, I'd still be very doubtful.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    the more you weigh the higher calories you burn. for doing the same exercise. google calorie burn calculator.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Depends on their weight, too. When I was over 300 pounds, I burned around 600 calories on the elliptical in 30 minutes. Now, I burn just under 300 calories in 30 minutes.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think mfp is set quite high for burns, I've found this out since wearing a HRM, as my burns have halved, think it also depends on your fitness levels as the fitter you are the longer it takes to get to fat burning mode
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love to see that people are working out or doing some sort of activity, but....I do hate when people say, "I just cleaned HARDCORE" or "I just went on a walk for an hour" and they burned almost 600 calories? I mean, I'm not a beast or anything, when I work out it's only for a half hour at a pop right now and I only burn about 250-270 cals depending. How is it that these people are burning so much? Is it all just too over-exaggerated like I'm assuming it is? To tell the truth, it kinda' irritates me....BTW, please no negative comments, I've seen a lot of them lately. Thanks

so wait, by your logic (math isnt hard) you're also complaining about yourself.

if they bum 600 calories in an hour and you're saying you burn 250-270 in half an hour then arithmetic dictates you would be burning 500-540 calories if you worked out for an hour.. there's not too much of a difference between what you are saying are other's inflated numbers and your supposed correct ones.

are you really getting your panties in a bunch over 60-100 calorie difference? :laugh:

and like others have noted, different bodies burn different rates of calories. don;t consider yourself as what should be the norm
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I exercise for about 50 minutes, and I burn between 500 and 600 calories. I put the incline up to 18, and fast walk at about 3.7-3.9 mph. You can really start to feel it in that time, and I was surprised that by bumping the incline up ALL the way, it burns pretty much the same as I would if I was jogging the whole time.

(I'm 4"11, 118 lbs. )

Hope that helps!
    you just proved the OP's point. sorry to break it to you, but you burned about half that...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

if they bum 600 calories in an hour and you're saying you burn 250-270 in half an hour then arithmetic dictates you would be burning 500-540 calories if you worked out for an hour.. there's not too much of a difference between what you are saying are other's inflated numbers and your supposed correct ones.

are you really getting your panties in a bunch over 60-100 calorie difference? :laugh:

and like others have noted, different bodies burn different rates of calories. don;t consider yourself as what should be the norm

Girl you know math and common sense is the devil!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

(I'm 4"11, 118 lbs. )

Hope that helps!
    you just proved the OP's point. sorry to break it to you, but you burned about half that...

how so? she said nothing about what her jog speed is. 3.9 is a fast walk. she's essentially saying had she stayed at an flatter incline and increased the speed she'd be burning the same amount of calories as with a fast walk and higher incline.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options

So you burn 500-540 for every hour you exercise but someone else burning 600 during their hour irritates you? :huh:
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

She's saying that she thinks it's unlikely someone burned that much doing non-exercise activities such as cleaning the house...She's comparing the numbers she burned from doing ACTUAL exercises to the over-inflated numbers people are claiming to burn by cleaning their houses.

The difference is the activity, and the intensity. Doing actual exercises are usually more intense than simply cleaning your house.

Speaking of common sense, did anyone actually read the post? :laugh:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

(I'm 4"11, 118 lbs. )

Hope that helps!

Agree. I weigh 138Ibs at 5'10, and at 92-95% of my max HR, running for 55 mins, I burnt 630, so I fail to see how someone your weight would burn that much walking that speed, no matter the incline. And I use a HRM for my burns. Gym machines and mfp are not reliable for exercise burns.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    MFP exaggerates calorie consumption of a lot of exercises. The best thing to do, as I have discovered is to get an HRM or other activity monitor.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Skiffee
    Skiffee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just got done with 90 minutes on my stationary bike. Burned 1052 calories according to that thing. MFP estimated right under 1,000 ... but I'm gonna go with what my bike says because I 'sprinted' a few times and that made the calorie counter shoot up.

I got it a few weeks ago and my first few times I could barely move the pedals at 10 resistance. (Found out to my dismay that the max resistance is 16!) and I could only do it on about 5-8 resistance for a half hour at a time. I'm pretty damn excited to see that I can do 90 minutes on 10 resistance and even with a few sprints sprinkled in there now! :)

... Unfortunately I still have some work to do on my diet. lol
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    It took me 5 hours today to burn 967 calories on my weekly clean. And my house is spotless! :)
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options

She's saying that she thinks it's unlikely someone burned that much doing non-exercise activities such as cleaning the house...She's comparing the numbers she burned from doing ACTUAL exercises to the over-inflated numbers people are claiming to burn by cleaning their houses.

The difference is the activity, and the intensity. Doing actual exercises are usually more intense than simply cleaning your house.

The cleaning one I agree with, But she also added walking into it which is an exercise and should be counted and depending on what the person's weight is and how fast they walk they could be burning at least close to what they are claiming.

I just don't understand why it would matter what other people claim as their burns, If they are counting burns that are way over the real numbers it will only effect their own weight loss not anyone elses...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what others are doing?
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I run at 6mph for an hour mon through friday. runner's world calculator, and others, estimate that at about 680 cals in an hour for my weight. My machine says a lot more, but i don't trust that. I see no reason not to believe 680 since it seems like all calcs put it at about that.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

i jumped on what she said because she also included walk on there. even the cleaning is iffy.

i suppose if the OP knows things like :
    -what all these people's beginning fitness levels are,
    -what they consider hardcore cleaning,
    -how dirty their houses are,
    -what the terrain is around their house,
    -how tall they are
    -how overweight they are
    - how fast they were walking

then yeah she can b***** about how unfair it is that these people are somehow robbing the universe of those unearned burned calories. but if none of these are the case, i still stand by the hilarity of her getting her panties knotted and twisted over 60 -100 calorie difference between what she does and what other people do. i mean for all we know the OP is filing her finger nails and texting during those 30 minutes of exercise
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the more you weigh the higher calories you burn. for doing the same exercise. google calorie burn calculator.

^^ This^^