New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Quest nutrition has this new thing called "Fudgey brownie bites" (or bars). They have some protein in them, but I wouldn't exactly call them healthy at all. They, however, taste delicious.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Quest nutrition has this new thing called "Fudgey brownie bites" (or bars). They have some protein in them, but I wouldn't exactly call them healthy at all. They, however, taste delicious.

Healthy is subjective. :) The protein would be a win for me. I have the birthday cake and chocolate cake flavored cookies but haven't tried them yet.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @Noreenmarie1234 I try to allow for different tastes, like “Oh I can see how someone would like this if they like X”, but that Snickers is so bad I can’t fathom anyone enjoying it. Literally just a weird fake cinnamon taste (not even fake like cinnamon candy, just… Fake) and combined with the nougat it was just… BLEHC.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Since I got a new phone this year (2021), I've been unable to post photos on MFP forums. 😟

https://abbotsbutcher.com/ground-beef?gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlNxJ5_wHT4qlNTYNAD53nZRA6M-7jSR-Da99rBFntSw1ECKBbL1PvAxoCfr4QAvD_BwE

Tried this newish faux mince. It has a nice flavor and doesn't turn to mush like many other brands do. Made a yummy shepherd's pie. It's also healthier than a lot of the newer brands.

I also have their "chicken", which we will eat in pumpkin enchiladas this weekend.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Tried this alpha burrito today and was not impressed. I would not buy it again. It was super tiny for almost 300 calories. It wasn’t very flavorful either. Needed seasoning. It didn’t taste anything like an egg burrito. The burritos I make with a 60 cal tortilla, just egg, and stir fried veggies with hot sauce is 100x better tasting, 4x bigger and half the calories. Do not recommendv3vxf6ez04r6.jpeg
    xd54g1glmajh.jpeg
    4eru4tdk6can.jpeg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Okay I thought I'd add the taste test of my nugget extravaganza. Like I said been obsessed with vegan nuggets and hot sauce. I tried 9 brands so far (I also tried incogmeato by morningstar farms but it was awhile ago so I can't remember how they compare side by side these. I had all of these within the last few weeks so it was easy to compare)
    Dairy free nuggets taste testing in order from best to worst....

1. Whole foods brand
    2. Morning star original
    3. Jack and annies
    4. Simulate nUggs dino shaped
    5. Morning star popcorn chicken
    6. Walmart brand
    7. Gardein ultimate plant based nuggets
    8. Raised and rooted
    9. Gardein original tenders

1. WF brand: Super crunchy and thick bread crumb like coating with excellentgh d df texture. They taste like the super thick dino shaped ones or chicken nibblers I used to eat as a kid. Soak up hot sauce VERY well. So close to tasting like real chicken nuggets it was eerie.
    2. Morningstar original nuggets: Great flavor and also very thick crispy panko like breading. A little more filling than WF brand. (I actually prefer more breading than filling) Very crunchy and soaks up sauce well which I like because I dunk all my nuggets in hot sauce.
    3. Jack and annies: Thinner coating, but still very crispy with a light peppery flavor. Great texture with subtle sweetness from the jackfruit. Less spongey/rubbery than others. These are more “crispy” vs “crunchy”. If you aren’t someone who dunks their nuggets in hot sauce, these had the best flavor on their own.
    4. Simulate nuggs dino shaped: Weird name and packaging. However, these tasted the MOST like real chicken. The inside was soft like real chicken. I bet this could fool a non vegan. I really liked these and would definitely get them again. They aren’t as crispy/crunchy as others but the inside texture is better.
    5. Morningstar popcorn chick: Excellent! Like the nuggets but in popcorn form. I really love their breading because it is thick and gets really crunchy. I prefer the nuggets to the popcorn though.
    6. Walmart brand: Not the best, breading too thin. Just okay. Kind of like morningstar farms but with a thinner coating.
    7. Gardein ultimate plant based nuggets: A lot better than the regular gardein so I don’t know why they even make the original ones anymore. Still not the best, but decent. Not a fan of the texture of their “nuggets”, very spongey and airy. They get crunchy but don’t have much flavor and the coating is “smooth” and I prefer “textured’ if that makes sense. I prefer a coating that is more like bread crumbs than batter.
    8. Raised and rooted: Reminded me of mcdonalds chicken nuggets exactly! The same “batter like” coating. I never liked mcdonalds chicken nuggets so I didn’t care for these. Very thin slightly crispy coating. Had a weird real “chicken” taste to them.
    9. Gardein crispy tenders: Terrible! Super spongey/tempeh like weird texture with breading so thin it barely gives any flavor. Would not get again. Terrible flavor and texture.

Photos....
    1. 35mfk309rieo.jpg
    knw287at668u.jpg

2. jfm4s0fv2izj.jpg

3. yx7cvdhg2x37.jpg
    0okzmvloo0hv.jpg
    c7od5qkznsdr.jpg

4. g365sp4nw5mj.jpg
    kvibjz9l4dfa.jpg
    2pr8glfcdub1.jpg

5. No pic

6. No pic
    7. clfv8j8usw9p.jpg
    20e5yz16evzy.jpg

8. o5tl8gwlhobq.jpg
    1nzvkcsgx0gc.jpg
    fdd26c6jq76s.jpg
    9. No pic
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Tried this alpha burrito today and was not impressed. I would not buy it again. It was super tiny for almost 300 calories. It wasn’t very flavorful either. Needed seasoning. It didn’t taste anything like an egg burrito. The burritos I make with a 60 cal tortilla, just egg, and stir fried veggies with hot sauce is 100x better tasting, 4x bigger and half the calories. Do not recommendv3vxf6ez04r6.jpeg
    xd54g1glmajh.jpeg
    4eru4tdk6can.jpeg

Forgot to add pic of this bacon flavored one which was equally as bad. 370 calories for this little tiny thing! Not worth even half that. My wraps are literally 4x that size and less than half the calories and taste better. I only got them because they were on sale for 1 dollar and thought I’d try them. I’ve never had a frozen burrito that I liked. uymjawfxwcyd.jpeg
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    xd54g1glmajh.jpeg
    4eru4tdk6can.jpeg

happy belated! @Noreenmarie1234
  • Luke_rabbit
    Options
    xd54g1glmajh.jpeg
    4eru4tdk6can.jpeg

I concur. These were the only alpha products that I was extremely unimpressed with. (I'd lump the breakfast sandwiches in with the burritos, too.)

• Luke_rabbit
    Options
    Okay I thought I'd add the taste test of my nugget extravaganza. Like I said been obsessed with vegan nuggets and hot sauce. I tried 9 brands so far (I also tried incogmeato by morningstar farms but it was awhile ago so I can't remember how they compare side by side these. I had all of these within the last few weeks so it was easy to compare)

1. Whole foods brand
    2. Morning star original
    3. Jack and annies
    6. Walmart brand
    8. Raised and rooted

1. WF brand: Super crunchy and thick bread crumb like coating with excellentgh d df texture. They taste like the super thick dino shaped ones or chicken nibblers I used to eat as a kid. Soak up hot sauce VERY well. So close to tasting like real chicken nuggets it was eerie.
    2. Morningstar original nuggets: Great flavor and also very thick crispy panko like breading. A little more filling than WF brand. (I actually prefer more breading than filling) Very crunchy and soaks up sauce well which I like because I dunk all my nuggets in hot sauce.
    3. Jack and annies: Thinner coating, but still very crispy with a light peppery flavor. Great texture with subtle sweetness from the jackfruit. Less spongey/rubbery than others. These are more “crispy” vs “crunchy”. If you aren’t someone who dunks their nuggets in hot sauce, these had the best flavor on their own.
    4. Simulate nuggs dino shaped: Weird name and packaging. However, these tasted the MOST like real chicken. The inside was soft like real chicken. I bet this could fool a non vegan. I really liked these and would definitely get them again. They aren’t as crispy/crunchy as others but the inside texture is better.
    5. Morningstar popcorn chick: Excellent! Like the nuggets but in popcorn form. I really love their breading because it is thick and gets really crunchy. I prefer the nuggets to the popcorn though.
    6. Walmart brand: Not the best, breading too thin. Just okay. Kind of like morningstar farms but with a thinner coating.
    7. Gardein ultimate plant based nuggets: A lot better than the regular gardein so I don’t know why they even make the original ones anymore. Still not the best, but decent. Not a fan of the texture of their “nuggets”, very spongey and airy. They get crunchy but don’t have much flavor and the coating is “smooth” and I prefer “textured’ if that makes sense. I prefer a coating that is more like bread crumbs than batter.
    8. Raised and rooted: Reminded me of mcdonalds chicken nuggets exactly! The same “batter like” coating. I never liked mcdonalds chicken nuggets so I didn’t care for these. Very thin slightly crispy coating. Had a weird real “chicken” taste to them.
    9. Gardein crispy tenders: Terrible! Super spongey/tempeh like weird texture with breading so thin it barely gives any flavor. Would not get again. Terrible flavor and texture.

Photos....
    1. 35mfk309rieo.jpg
    knw287at668u.jpg

2. jfm4s0fv2izj.jpg

3. yx7cvdhg2x37.jpg
    0okzmvloo0hv.jpg
    c7od5qkznsdr.jpg

4. g365sp4nw5mj.jpg
    kvibjz9l4dfa.jpg
    2pr8glfcdub1.jpg

5. No pic

6. No pic
    7. clfv8j8usw9p.jpg
    20e5yz16evzy.jpg

8. o5tl8gwlhobq.jpg
    1nzvkcsgx0gc.jpg
    fdd26c6jq76s.jpg
    9. No pic

Nice review! Thanks!

I regularly put vegan nuggets on top of salads for lunch.

I've also tried Alpha, Lightlife, and Fry's. I would say that I'm pretty equal opportunity re:nuggets if the price is right! 😁
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

1. Whole foods brand
    2. Morning star original
    3. Jack and annies
    6. Walmart brand
    8. Raised and rooted

Photos....
    1. 35mfk309rieo.jpg
    knw287at668u.jpg

2. jfm4s0fv2izj.jpg

3. yx7cvdhg2x37.jpg
    0okzmvloo0hv.jpg
    c7od5qkznsdr.jpg

4. g365sp4nw5mj.jpg
    kvibjz9l4dfa.jpg
    2pr8glfcdub1.jpg

5. No pic

6. No pic
    7. clfv8j8usw9p.jpg
    20e5yz16evzy.jpg

8. o5tl8gwlhobq.jpg
    1nzvkcsgx0gc.jpg
    fdd26c6jq76s.jpg
    9. No pic

Nice review! Thanks!

I've also tried Alpha, Lightlife, and Fry's. I would say that I'm pretty equal opportunity re:nuggets if the price is right! 😁

Haven’t tried any of those! Which is the best? I can’t get enough of them right now. I pour Frank’s buffalo sauce into a container pour the nuggets in and shake em up. I go through these phases where I crave and eat the same thing every day until I get sick of it and right now it’s nuggets and hot sauce 😅.

I also got beyond meat tenders to try today. I also tried daring breaded nuggets awhile ago and those were terrible. Super slimy on the inside and gave me undercooked chicken vibes that I didn’t like.

Thanks @alexandramosenson !! 😊
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Anyone try these yet ? yctj3it9iltc.jpeg
    I wish they sold new Oreos in a mini 2 or 4 pack for people who just want to try them but not eat a whole bag lol.

Haven't seen them yet but will pick them up if I do
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    The beyond meat tenders were not that good. They tasted way too much like real chicken but not in a good way. Like stringy texture. Kind of like the daring brand. When you bite into them it feels like you're biting into a stringy, non tender, very poor quality, badly cooked REAL chicken tender. Very poulty tasting and reminiscent of chicken wing meat. Very thin breading. Just couldn't get past the weird "chicken-esque" texture.

gxbbwnfq08vl.jpg
    06h3cyrvlmlq.jpg
    rikjv9cmwcyc.jpg

Overall my favorite are the whole foods brand. Just get so crispy/crunchy on outside with the perfect softness on the inside. Perfect ratio of breading to inside. (I like mine very heavy on the breading though). Just like my chicken nugget nibblers of childhood.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Options

1. Whole foods brand
    2. Morning star original
    3. Jack and annies
    6. Walmart brand
    8. Raised and rooted

Photos....
    1. 35mfk309rieo.jpg
    knw287at668u.jpg

2. jfm4s0fv2izj.jpg

3. yx7cvdhg2x37.jpg
    0okzmvloo0hv.jpg
    c7od5qkznsdr.jpg

4. g365sp4nw5mj.jpg
    kvibjz9l4dfa.jpg
    2pr8glfcdub1.jpg

5. No pic

6. No pic
    7. clfv8j8usw9p.jpg
    20e5yz16evzy.jpg

8. o5tl8gwlhobq.jpg
    1nzvkcsgx0gc.jpg
    fdd26c6jq76s.jpg
    9. No pic

Nice review! Thanks!

Haven’t tried any of those! Which is the best? I can’t get enough of them right now. I pour Frank’s buffalo sauce into a container pour the nuggets in and shake em up. I go through these phases where I crave and eat the same thing every day until I get sick of it and right now it’s nuggets and hot sauce 😅.

I also got beyond meat tenders to try today. I also tried daring breaded nuggets awhile ago and those were terrible. Super slimy on the inside and gave me undercooked chicken vibes that I didn’t like.

I like Fry's the best. They have a nice crunchy breading. But last time I was at Sprouts, they were on clearance, so I guess they won't be available there in the future and I haven't seen them in other stores.

Alpha is good. My husband also tried the spicy ones and really liked them. (I live spicy-free due to GERD. ☹️) They are soft, though, similar to Incogmeato. I think they would be better in the air fryer, but I tend to microwave for lunch salads.

Lightlife, as you probably know, has a two-tier product line. The classic mostly refrigerated foods that have been around forever, and a newer, more meat tasting, line to compete with the beyond-esque brands. I liked the tenders available in the second line, mostly because they are the only large ones I've seen, which are nice for sandwiches or on top of a pasta dish. The taste was fine but not outstanding.

As an aside, the Lightlife breakfast sausages in the 2nd line were absolutely disgusting! Maybe that's what real sausage tastes like (I haven't had any in 25+ years), but yuck. I'll stick to my Morningstar patties.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Okay one last nugget lol. I guess best for last!

These incogmeato were my favorite! Super thick breading. They are similar to the Whole Foods brand. Better than the original Morningstar ones because they are slightly less dry and spongey. The inside is thinner. Texture is the BEST. Overall I just loved these, Whole Foods brand and Morningstar original nuggets. Idk why morning star makes two kinds. Gardein does that as well. Regular morning star vs these in photo. by9fdqir7rhk.jpeg
    95fh4cgqrqoc.jpeg
    f4wfgx2aigu3.jpeg
    ok3oezxsyt0f.jpeg
    hu1ccinvvp2n.jpeg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Tried yet another 😅 field roast. So keep in mind all my reviews are for the nuggets how I make them in my air fryer and then dunked in Frank’s buffalo sauce. If I ate them without sauce that changes things. (I tried one plain for these)

Anyways these were not very good. I had high hopes because they were everything I like; Very thin, heavy on the breading and super crunchy. However, the flavor was like cardboard. Very plain and didn’t taste like anything. Even doused in hot sauce they weren’t that flavorful. They would be a lot better if they added some spices to the breading. Wouldn’t get them again. ktlufw4ds7hx.jpeg
    v21dlkuqur2m.jpeg
    qc7cmqsipyq7.jpeg
    d8rlha79pl4l.jpeg
    506q5f3mewpz.jpeg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Omg they used to have something similar to these years ago but I think quaker brand made them. I LOVED them they were like mini cinnamon rolls. I ate a pack every day when I got home from school and would heat them up in the microwave for like 9 seconds.

c9gkq87mebzj.png