Coffee addiction

Options

Replies

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If there is a coffee addict, that is me. Or so I thought.
    I have been drinking coffee since I was 14, and I've been drinking espresso since 1999. I drink a double espresso in the morning, and in the past I took another one with me to work or had one when I came home.

Part of my addiction is to the caffeine, but other part was to the creamer. I've always drank my coffee with flavored creamer, which translates to lots of fat and sugar.
    Since I've been logging, I experimented with different things: sugar free (not fat free) creamer + Truvia, kinda ok, but I don't really like it. Fat free (not sugar free) flavored creamer from Nestle, I like it, it's lower in calories, but it's still a lot if I put a lot in in my coffee. Fat free / sugar free tastes weird, but I can have more and I can tolerate it on some days.
    I had to say no to the regular flavored creamer.

I have been drinking about half the coffee as I used to because I have to use less creamer (regardless of which kind I use, I sacrifice some taste), because I now know how many calories that means. (300-350 calories in the past instead of the 100-200 now).

Turns out I wasn't as much of a coffee addict, because I'm not sleepy, not moody, and don't have headaches. I was addicted to the taste.
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was getting older and drinking a pot a day and subsequently, up half the night.
    Then I started getting very anxious along with some awful panic attacks.
    I came to discover that my body could no longer take that much caffeine.
    I pretty much stopped the coffee except for an occasional cup in the morning here and there.
    Now I drink one cup of green tea and one cup of black tea in the morning with almond milk and stevia.
    I really missed all the coffee for a few weeks but I don't miss the anxiety, panic attacks and bad sleep!

I will try that, I like both those teas but never thought to put in almond milk instead.
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    If you're concerned about the amount of cream and sugar can you slowly cut back each week how much you put in? You don't necessarily have to drink it black. I slowly cut back on my cream and sugar until I started drinking it with 1 sugar and a splash of skim milk which was a huge improvement from my extra light/ extra sweet from Dunkin.

I think I'm going to try to cut back all together. I spend too much at that place for thier crappy coffee. But when I need a fix next time and I give in I will try a single single.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would never stop drinking the coffee, I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting into sentence doing.

derp-cat_o_740168.jpg
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Some of it is just that your taste naturally changes with time. They call them "acquired tastes" for a reason. We naturally lose our sweet tooth when we get older.

When I was a teenager, I used to drink those fancy flavoured vanilla latte type drinks and couldn't stand the thought of regular filter coffee. When I was in my early 20s, I drank my morning coffee with tons of cream and sugar. Gradually I stopped adding sugar by my late 20s. Today in my mid-30s I prefer a dark roast espresso with just a splash of milk. I can see myself eventually going towards just drinking it black.

Oh, and some of it is that Timmy's coffee is, as many have mentioned, really bad. Double-doubles aren't all that great. Treat yourself to better coffee and you won't feel the need to mask the taste with so much cream and sugar.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'll allow myself either/or. Half and half or sugar but not both. Soon discovered I can do without sugar. The dairy helps cut the acidity in coffee, and I gradually backed off. I'm down to 2tbsp half and half in a mug. I found good coffee made in a French press is not all bitter. And I switch off with fruit teas. Discovered part of my issue is addiction to sipping on something. Always drank coffee very slowly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Drink it black.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If double double is 2 cream, 2 sugars, I make a double, triple then, lol. Sometimes I have 2 coffees a day. My cream is half/half though and it is coffee from my Keurig.

Just include it in your calorie count if you drink it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you're addicted, seek therapeutic help.

Otherwise, fit it in to your daily intake, or make an adult decision and drink something else.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Treat yourself to better coffee and you won't feel the need to mask the taste with so much cream and sugar.

Do tell what brands are "better". That would be helpful.

I need my morning cup of coffee and have not found anything worth a darn. Thanks!

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    another way to cut back is to change the size. anything smaller than large-perhaps go with a regular
    Then switch to single cream single sugar
    Then switch milk to cream to milk
    then switch
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You could start by changing your double double to a single single? Then perhaps you could go down from there. I used to get a double double back in the day, but now if I go (mainly because my BF likes the tea - I am not a huge timmies fan) i'll just get 1 milk (2 depending on size).

I once thought about stopping drinking coffee. Those were dark times...
  • segacs
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Treat yourself to better coffee and you won't feel the need to mask the taste with so much cream and sugar.

Do tell what brands are "better". That would be helpful.

I need my morning cup of coffee and have not found anything worth a darn. Thanks!

Buy a coffee maker or french press and some good quality beans from the supermarket or coffee roaster. There are so many different brands that are good -- it comes down to personal preference -- a few local ones I like are Kicking Horse or Cafe Mystique, both available at my local Provigo, or Toi Moi & Cafe, La Vieille Europe, or Quatre Vents at Jean-Talon Market here in Montreal. Not sure where in Canada you're based, but try to find a local coffee shop that roasts beans on site for the best flavour. Buy a grinder and grind the beans yourself -- you can find a good one on Amazon for under $20. The machine and grinder will pay for themselves in the space of a few months, since you won't have to turn over a buck fifty every morning to Timmy's.

Or, if you have an office job, petition your office for some decent coffee.
  • charleshaycock
    Options
    As my mother used to always say, "drink it black...like my men, lol." I do like my coffee with a bit of half and half, my only indulgence. I am however, drinking more tea now...all types. I used to own a coffee shop, and was always amazed at some of my employees who did not drink coffee, now I understand. OH, and a double double is fours shots of espresso, is what I treated it as....
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Buy a coffee maker or french press and some good quality beans from the supermarket or coffee roaster. There are so many different brands that are good -- it comes down to personal preference -- a few local ones I like are Kicking Horse or Cafe Mystique, both available at my local Provigo, or Toi Moi & Cafe, La Vieille Europe, or Quatre Vents at Jean-Talon Market here in Montreal. Not sure where in Canada you're based, but try to find a local coffee shop that roasts beans on site for the best flavour. Buy a grinder and grind the beans yourself -- you can find a good one on Amazon for under $20. The machine and grinder will pay for themselves in the space of a few months, since you won't have to turn over a buck fifty every morning to Timmy's.

Or, if you have an office job, petition your office for some decent coffee.

+1 for Kicking Horse. Three Sisters, Grizzly Claw, Sumatra & Kick *kitten* are all my favourites of theirs. It is local to BC though, not Quebec.
  • segacs
    Options
    +1 for Kicking Horse. Three Sisters, Grizzly Claw, Sumatra & Kick *kitten* are all my favourites of theirs. It is local to BC though, not Quebec.

Yeah, Mystique is local but Kicking Horse is BC. I like their Kick *kitten* coffee though, so I'll buy it at the supermarket sometimes.

I just was in Mexico and I treated myself to some local coffee beans from Chiapas and took them home with me. Heavenly.
  • segacs
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention 49th Parallel, also BC-based. I love their Epic Espresso.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I would never stop drinking the coffee, I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting into sentence doing.
    +1

yeah, ^^^this
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I gradually weaned myself from Starbucks-type mochas to coffee with a tiny splash of soy milk and a little Splenda. I pre-portion my milk for the day, and when it is gone, I am done. You can change your tastes, it just takes time and willingness.

Coffee alone is not a bad thing. I do what another poster suggested above--I grind my own beans and use a French press. Simple but good. I love Stumptown beans--infinitely better than any other coffee that I have tasted outside of stuff bought directly from Latin American coffee farms. If you are looking for cheap beans, the whole bean coffees at Target aren't bad. I like Cafe Mosaica and Madres de Nicaragua.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You could start by changing your double double to a single single? Then perhaps you could go down from there. I used to get a double double back in the day, but now if I go (mainly because my BF likes the tea - I am not a huge timmies fan) i'll just get 1 milk (2 depending on size).

I once thought about stopping drinking coffee. Those were dark times...

^^ This is what I did. I used to drink double doubles, and now I can hardly stomach them unless I'm really in the mood for a treat. I only get one milk now at Timmies, and it's not bad. Also-- get the dark roast for slightly better coffee. Really it's not good coffee at all, but there's one in the building where I work so I put up with it anyway.