Is all sugar bad sugar?

Options
I'm a chocoholic and suggar addict and I've been trying to cut it out since I'm trying to lose weight and pretty scared of the possibility of dibetes. Even though I feel like I'm not eating that much sugar I still keep going over my daily limit with the fruit I eat. Is it okay if the sugar comes from fruit?? I still want more! helppp!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Diabetes comes from genetics/being overweight or obese, not from consuming too much sugar.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. There are carbs/sugar in vegetables as well. Corn suyrup has a bad wrap. Honey is sugar. Sugar from the cane is just as bad as corn surgars. Carbs/sugar brings up your cholesterol not fats be they so called good or bad fats.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Diabetes comes from genetics/being overweight or obese, not from consuming too much sugar.

Or your immune system being incredibly confused on whether your beta cells need to be destroyed or not. :p

Really, consuming sugar does not cause diabetes. The cause of type 1 is primarily unknown (most researchers are thinking that it's a genetic predisposition on top of exposure to certain viruses that can trigger the autoimmune attack), while the main cause of type 2 is from genetics, age, weight, and sedentary lifestyle.

In the end, all carbohydrates are converted into glucose, including natural and added sugars and complex carbohydrates, and an excess of any carbohydrate (including those from fruit) that causes a calorie surplus will cause you to gain weight. Natural sugar is seen as the better option, because the foods that it is found in also contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber that promote general health and satiety. On the other hand, foods high in added sugars tend to contain a lot of empty calories and very little nutritional value (compare a soda to an apple). MFP's sugar goal is really low when you factor in natural sugars from fruits and vegetables, so I personally follow the World Health Organization's recommendation to consume less than 10% of my total daily calories from added sugar.
  • jamesedwards6
    jamesedwards6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My carbs for today were 14 and my sugar 3. Yesterday was much higher 95 for Carbs and 8 for sugar.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hey op, you're in luck! Have I got news for you!

No sugar is bad. Additionally, the source from which you get sugar doesn't really matter. Sure, an apple will give you more nutrients and fiber than most chocolates, but that doesn't mean you should avoid the chocolates.

Like many, I'm still trying to figure out how diabetes works. I know genetics have to do with it, but also being overweight can play a part as well. As far as I know, eating sugar isn't a singular cause of diabetes, but it could possibly go hand in hand if someone is generally over consuming food and has a predisposition for diabetes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    All carbs and sugars are broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed. The body can't tell the difference between monosaccharides and disaccharides. It just breaks them down to be absorbed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My carbs for today were 14 and my sugar 3. Yesterday was much higher 95 for Carbs and 8 for sugar.

Wow good job!!

Op fruit and milk always put me over in sugar nearly everyday. I'm having no problems losing weight
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    bohonomad wrote: »
    I'm a chocoholic and suggar addict and I've been trying to cut it out since I'm trying to lose weight and pretty scared of the possibility of dibetes. Even though I feel like I'm not eating that much sugar I still keep going over my daily limit with the fruit I eat. Is it okay if the sugar comes from fruit?? I still want more! helppp!

bohonomad everyone is different. Personally I wish I had cut out sugar 40 years ago so that I might have fewer health issues today. Losing the sugar for four months now has greatly improved my health so far. Actually some think the worse kind of sugar is fructose from fruit since one of its objective is to trigger weight gain.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/5/911.full
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

bohonomad everyone is different. Personally I wish I had cut out sugar 40 years ago so that I might have fewer health issues today. Losing the sugar for four months now has greatly improved my health so far. Actually some think the worse kind of sugar is fructose from fruit since one of its objective is to trigger weight gain.

kj72r6lin68f.gif

Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans.

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I could never. Cause I like fruit. And vegetables
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    Duh, are all witches bad witches, no...... but chocolate and the beetus is kinda scary, especially when there mocha involved.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

kj72r6lin68f.gif

Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans.

Get out of here with your science!

00mnts0y97ev.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You do not become diabetic from too much sugar. Diabetes often comes from being overweight or obese, but you can also get it if you are of a normal weight. I have two aunts who are sisters who are insulin dependent diabetics. One was overweight and the other not when they were diagnosed as youngsters. I think my other two aunts, who are also their sisters, have diabetes that is controlled through proper diet.

Do you have any diabetes in your family, and that's why you're worried about sugar intake? If so, you might want to speak with your doctor.

Unless you have medical issues involving sugar intake, then watching the amount you eat comes down to personal preference only.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

kj72r6lin68f.gif

That is one wacky looking cat. :D
  • MeredithDoyle85
    Options
    Hi this is my first post as I only joined today. For information on sugar and loads more foods etc go to Dr Joel Fuhrman's website it will give you all the information you need without having to sift through everyones opinions, which some are not correct....