Is all sugar bad sugar?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    Hi this is my first post as I only joined today. For information on sugar and loads more foods etc go to Dr Joel Fuhrman's website it will give you all the information you need without having to sift through everyones opinions, which some are not correct....
    Did you buy his cookbook?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi this is my first post as I only joined today. For information on sugar and loads more foods etc go to Dr Joel Fuhrman's website it will give you all the information you need without having to sift through everyones opinions, which some are not correct....

Which opinions are not correct?

No as to Fuhrman's website, which is just a marketing ploy to sell his books that are not based in any truth at all.
  • isa474
    isa474 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Diabetes comes from genetics/being overweight or obese, not from consuming too much sugar.

Or your immune system being incredibly confused on whether your beta cells need to be destroyed or not. :p

Really, consuming sugar does not cause diabetes. The cause of type 1 is primarily unknown (most researchers are thinking that it's a genetic predisposition on top of exposure to certain viruses that can trigger the autoimmune attack), while the main cause of type 2 is from genetics, age, weight, and sedentary lifestyle.

In the end, all carbohydrates are converted into glucose, including natural and added sugars and complex carbohydrates, and an excess of any carbohydrate (including those from fruit) that causes a calorie surplus will cause you to gain weight. Natural sugar is seen as the better option, because the foods that it is found in also contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber that promote general health and satiety. On the other hand, foods high in added sugars tend to contain a lot of empty calories and very little nutritional value (compare a soda to an apple). MFP's sugar goal is really low when you factor in natural sugars from fruits and vegetables, so I personally follow the World Health Organization's recommendation to consume less than 10% of my total daily calories from added sugar.

Right on !
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    All food gets converted into glucose before getting used by the body - carbs, protein, fat, alcohol. Simple sugar gets converted the most quickly.

I once had a glucose tolerance test, which is an ordeal. With the results, my doctor suggested that I choose a cookie over a piece of candy if I was going to eat something with sugar because it would take more time to get converted.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    All carbs and sugars are broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed. The body can't tell the difference between monosaccharides and disaccharides. It just breaks them down to be absorbed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Neither Glucose alone or a glucose / fructose mix is worse than the other, but the body can tell the difference (not saying that's a bad thing, just that the body can tell).

Glucose alone can be absorbed by a multitude of organs in the body and used as fuel, fructose however cannot and primarily is processed through the liver first.

So the body metabolizes these sugars in different ways (which would suggest the body knows the difference).

Again not saying it's a bad thing, just saying that not all sugars are the same once we eat them.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    All carbs and sugars are broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed. The body can't tell the difference between monosaccharides and disaccharides. It just breaks them down to be absorbed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Neither Glucose alone or a glucose / fructose mix is worse than the other, but the body can tell the difference (not saying that's a bad thing, just that the body can tell).

Glucose alone can be absorbed by a multitude of organs in the body and used as fuel, fructose however cannot and primarily is processed through the liver first.

So the body metabolizes these sugars in different ways (which would suggest the body knows the difference).

Again not saying it's a bad thing, just saying that not all sugars are the same once we eat them.
    Wut.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I could never. Cause I like fruit. And vegetables

Same here. I cut back a little because the nutritionist I was seeing at the time gave me a hard time. I used to eat a banana and two apples a day (on top of veggies with meals), and she told me I was eating way too much sugar.

Then she'd always ask if I was even tempted to have cendy and sweets. My answer was always no, "because I love apples."

Then next time she'd go into the sugar thing again. Ugh. So, one banana, one apple a day for now.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I do know I need a lot of protein, and my macro's don't stay in balance if I eat too much sugar/candy/etc. When I got rid of a daily cupcake habit my skin cleared up within a week. Don't really care if it was sugar or glutens or whatever other factor someone wants to throw at me. I only have so many calories I can eat a day, and excessive sugar doesn't help.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Refined/added sugar is the stuff most doctors council against. A little bit is fine, too much isn't great. Refined sugar is not something that's easy to avoid in this day and age, so I still eat chocolate - love it - but try to stay within my MFP sugar goal.

Natural sugar - e.g. in fruit - comes wrapped in fibre, so we digest it more slowly / differently, than the refined stuff. I don't worry if I go over my sugar goal on MFP because of fruit, but I do worry if I go over because I ate too much cake (i.e. refined sugar)...
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Hey op, you're in luck! Have I got news for you!

No sugar is bad. Additionally, the source from which you get sugar doesn't really matter. Sure, an apple will give you more nutrients and fiber than most chocolates, but that doesn't mean you should avoid the chocolates.

Like many, I'm still trying to figure out how diabetes works. I know genetics have to do with it, but also being overweight can play a part as well. As far as I know, eating sugar isn't a singular cause of diabetes, but it could possibly go hand in hand if someone is generally over consuming food and has a predisposition for diabetes.
    After rereading my post and realizing it got flagged for "abuse" I'd like to add this because I think maybe my post got misread:

When I said "no sugar is bad" I meant no type of sugar (fructose, glucose, etc) is bad. It was not meant to be read as "No, sugar is bad" as if I was correcting those who said that sugar is not bad.

When I said that an apple will give you more nutrients and fiber than most chocolates, I wasn't implying that people should just walk around eating apples all the time. I am a firm believer in IIFYM, and even indulging if it doesn't fit your macros from time to time. I don't know if someone just generally disagreed with my post or misunderstood it, but I just wanted to clear that up for anyone else who may have misunderstood. Thank you
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. There are carbs/sugar in vegetables as well. Corn suyrup has a bad wrap. Honey is sugar. Sugar from the cane is just as bad as corn surgars. Carbs/sugar brings up your cholesterol not fats be they so called good or bad fats.

I have no clue what you're trying to say.

Really? Cause I have no problem understanding that.

• neanderthin
    Options
    Refined/added sugar is the stuff most doctors council against. A little bit is fine, too much isn't great. Refined sugar is not something that's easy to avoid in this day and age, so I still eat chocolate - love it - but try to stay within my MFP sugar goal.

Natural sugar - e.g. in fruit - comes wrapped in fibre, so we digest it more slowly / differently, than the refined stuff. I don't worry if I go over my sugar goal on MFP because of fruit, but I do worry if I go over because I ate too much cake (i.e. refined sugar)...

If refined sugar is added to a meal that has protein, fat and vegetables it will digest much slower then fruit by itself, which actually doesn't digest slowly, quite quickly depending on the fruit........ but singling out a specific nutrient as bad is very popular, and I suspect this will continue for quite some time if this website is any indication.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    I don't know. I do know I need a lot of protein, and my macro's don't stay in balance if I eat too much sugar/candy/etc. When I got rid of a daily cupcake habit my skin cleared up within a week. Don't really care if it was sugar or glutens or whatever other factor someone wants to throw at me. I only have so many calories I can eat a day, and excessive sugar doesn't help.

That doesn't mean someone should worry about sugar within her calorie allowance, though. Clearly it's too much if you can't stay within your calories or get enough protein, but that doesn't mean it's bad or she should worry about eating fruit bringing her over MFP's overly low limit or all the things people get freaked out about sugar.

It's all about what "too much" is for a particular person.

Sugar never affected my skin negatively at all, but maybe I never ate enough, I dunno.
  • ireneblackwell
    ireneblackwell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i find all this sugar talk extremely confusing, why not cut out where you can and leave it at that ! instead of reading conflicting information which leads to total confusion !
  • OrganicSFS
    OrganicSFS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @bohonomad
    Sugar that are naturally contained in fruits and vegetables like glucose and fructose are good sugar. They are balanced by other properties of the fruits and veggies and slow down sugar digestion in the body. You need them for quick energy. Eating fruits therefore will not cause you to overeat them. Now, ADDED SUGAR is bad sugar, and gross intake of this sugar damages the vital organs of your body. This is the kind of sugar, you should be avoiding at all cost. So, if you want to stay healthy, avoid eating processed food, like corn syrup, pastries, candies, soft-drinks and the likes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hey op, you're in luck! Have I got news for you!

No sugar is bad. Additionally, the source from which you get sugar doesn't really matter. Sure, an apple will give you more nutrients and fiber than most chocolates, but that doesn't mean you should avoid the chocolates.

Like many, I'm still trying to figure out how diabetes works. I know genetics have to do with it, but also being overweight can play a part as well. As far as I know, eating sugar isn't a singular cause of diabetes, but it could possibly go hand in hand if someone is generally over consuming food and has a predisposition for diabetes.
    After rereading my post and realizing it got flagged for "abuse" I'd like to add this because I think maybe my post got misread:

When I said "no sugar is bad" I meant no type of sugar (fructose, glucose, etc) is bad. It was not meant to be read as "No, sugar is bad" as if I was correcting those who said that sugar is not bad.

When I said that an apple will give you more nutrients and fiber than most chocolates, I wasn't implying that people should just walk around eating apples all the time. I am a firm believer in IIFYM, and even indulging if it doesn't fit your macros from time to time. I don't know if someone just generally disagreed with my post or misunderstood it, but I just wanted to clear that up for anyone else who may have misunderstood. Thank you
    IMO, no one misunderstood what you said. You probably got flagged by someone who disagreed with what you said. It happens to many people on here, just hope you're not on someone flag list (which also happens to many people).

OT: unless you have a medical issue where you have to track/monitor sugar, I wouldn't worry about it. If a doctor/nutritionist/dietitian told me to eat more fruit but not bananas, I tell them they don't want me to eat much fruit then.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    i find all this sugar talk extremely confusing, why not cut out where you can and leave it at that ! instead of reading conflicting information which leads to total confusion !

Because cutting out sugar is not always good. I've logged my breakfast and lunch for today and have 20 grams of sugar just from some veggies and blueberries. If I had my usual yogurt (plain) or a more sugary fruit like an apple or banana or, say, a sweet potato or plantain instead of regular potatoes I'd have way more sugar. What possible good would it do me to have an irrational fear of sugar and avoid those foods?

Also, I always CAN cut out more sugar. I don't have to eat any sweets ever if I don't want to (I hate this idea that eating pie is always because you can't help it, as opposed to a perfectly sensible and enjoyable CHOICE). However, I think it's better for my mental health, my relationship with food, and just my general enjoyment to be able to work in some chocolate or ice cream or pie without feeling like I'm somehow doing something bad or failing. The alternative seems to me messed up.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Because understanding is better than ignorance.

+1

Also this.