Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Man, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

man, someone is flag happy. there was nothing wrong with my posts.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

man, someone is flag happy. there was nothing wrong with my posts.

I didn't flag your posts.

k
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The only thing I take issue with is the fact that I don't really see anything special about her. I mean, she looks pretty with makeup (and photoshop/filters) but I think the same goes for most women. She's not exceptionally tall or beautiful or distinctive in any way, imo, and that's my main issue with all of this. She looks like any other woman I might see when I go to the mall. I feel like the criteria for modeling is being spread a little thin nowadays.

I really don't care what size she is, though. It's not her responsibility, or the media's for that matter, to promote health.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    The only thing I take issue with is the fact that I don't really see anything special about her. I mean, she looks pretty with makeup (and photoshop/filters) but I think the same goes for most women. She's not exceptionally tall or beautiful or distinctive in any way, imo, and that's my main issue with all of this. She looks like any other woman I might see when I go to the mall. I feel like the criteria for modeling is being spread a little thin nowadays.

I really don't care what size she is, though. It's not her responsibility, or the media's for that matter, to promote health.

yep, agree.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Boganella wrote: »
    Honestly I think its gross. I also think that models who look starved are gross as well. I think both promote a delusional unhealthy lifestyle.

This is definitely a heated topic, and I commend you, OP, for posting your opinion on it. The fact of the matter is, everyone is going to have their own opinions on body type. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being self-confident, but I do think there needs to be a limit. I mean, I think it's wonderful that the woman in this article is so confident. Do I think that her weight is healthy? No. Do I find her attractive? No. Can I respect her for embracing her size instead of trying to get to a healthier size? No.

Just like Boganella stated, going to one extreme or the other is pretty unfavorable. While I don't agree with the standards that are put on women to be "fit" and "tiny" I think this is the result of trying *too hard* to "stay from the path". I mean, I'm 5 foot 6, approx 135 pounds. I'm pretty much exactly where I need to be by normal, healthy standards. But I'd like to eat healthier and work out regularly, because I'd like some tone, definition, and overall strength-- and I've been given hell for this. "Oh, you're perfect the way you are, don't change a thing"... And this is the result of that *kitten* advice-- women who are far too large to be healthy individuals (I'm sure a size 8 "Plus size" model could still be considered healthy. But this woman is a size 22, and I can just *feel* the cardiac arrest around the corner.

"Big" people get a negative light because we typically see them rolling through the grocery store on the motorized carts, breathing audibly as they stock up on Doritos and soda. THAT'S gross. THAT'S what I can confidently call disgusting. If this woman does this in her free time, then yes, I'd say she's perpetuating a disgusting lifestyle and I'm deeply saddened for her fate. However, if she's really working with a personal trainer and just trying to be comfortable with what she's working with until she can come down to a healthy size, then sure man, more power to her...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    WeightWars wrote: »
    Some of the comments on this thread make me weep for humanity.

We realise the question is "Should fat people be allowed a place in the median spotlight or will everyone in the world suddenly become fat too and die of heart failure if we allow it?" right?

The world (1st world, anyway) is already too fat, and already too many die of heart failure or suffer from diabetes and hypertension, and a lot of their bodies look just like the model's when they are being wheeled off to the hospital or worse.

I'm against enabling people to think that it is okay to stay in an unhealthy condition because they found a role model who has made this more acceptable.

Oh, I guess people do think this. I'm okay with stupid people following a role model in thinking that being morbidly obese is okay. Less stupid people in this world due to them dying young is okay with me. Most people will not purposely follow her lead as a role model though IMO.

Are they only stupid if they follow someone who is morbidly obese? What about the young killing themselves wanting to be severely underweight
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

We realise the question is "Should fat people be allowed a place in the median spotlight or will everyone in the world suddenly become fat too and die of heart failure if we allow it?" right?

The world (1st world, anyway) is already too fat, and already too many die of heart failure or suffer from diabetes and hypertension, and a lot of their bodies look just like the model's when they are being wheeled off to the hospital or worse.

I'm against enabling people to think that it is okay to stay in an unhealthy condition because they found a role model who has made this more acceptable.

Oh, I guess people do think this. I'm okay with stupid people following a role model in thinking that being morbidly obese is okay. Less stupid people in this world due to them dying young is okay with me. Most people will not purposely follow her lead as a role model though IMO.

Are they only stupid if they follow someone who is morbidly obese? What about the young killing themselves wanting to be severely underweight

I feel more sympathy for them. There is a lot of pressure in society to be thin and sometimes people take it too far. There isn't any pressure to be morbidly obese that I can tell. It's the opposite.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I have no problem with the model . good to see ladies represent all shapes and sizes. I don't see anyone in the media as a role model
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There's no way that this model is healthy at the weight she's carrying around. I don't believe that promoting an unhealthy lifestyle is helping anyone. However, if there's money to be made on other's delusions then there you go. And MiLk Model Management is out to make money.

"Relentless bullying as a child forced... her to leave school," according to the article and I see her obesity as a defense mechanism for what she suffered. Her movement #EffYourBeautyStandards is disturbing because, it seems to me, that it's promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.

People who are overweight or obese are not healthy. Many of us have suffered with health issues because of the weight or will suffer. Tess Munster seems very angry and her anger feeds into other women's issues of rejection and poor self-esteem.

She said. “I’m always still that 13-year-old girl in Mississippi who people told I wasn’t good enough." She's giving the finger to the people who rejected her and those who continue to do so.

Tess says, “Does it bother you that a fat body like mine exists in the world? That this body makes me money, brings my partner (& myself) joy & for some of you, is your “worst case scenario”? "Heaven forbid. [Blank] what you’ve heard about me. I’m not going anywhere."

It bothers me because I could so easily be there, at that weight. That scares me. I only had 50lbs. to lose and I don't ever want to go there again. Nor do I want to promote an unhealthy lifestyle for younger women. She says she is happy and that she's not going anywhere. Maybe for now, but eventually she's going to an early grave. I'd rather not join her. Just my thoughts.
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Joe_Buck69 wrote: »
    I hate it when people spell judgmental with an "e."

Just a personal preference. Carry on.

I hate it when people point out spelling errors when there isn't an error.
    Maybe I don't think it's a spelling error—hence my "personal preference" remark.

At any rate, MrM, that does not achieve the level of goat-in-my-possession-getting that occurs when one spells ensure with an "i." That violation always makes me want to explode into a million pieces, each of which will then sublimate into the most potent, noxious gas that, favourable winds permitting, will be swept into every atmosphere on this planet before finally ending up in the lungs of every infernal member of humanity, who will then suffer a demise so slow and agonizing that, by comparison, the worst krokodil addict in his final moments will resemble a patient in the most loving, most humane palliative-care facility.

She once purchased two beds, sawed them in half and kept each of the wrong sides, which she then screwed together to form the bed that she retires to Every. Single. Night.

I, on the other hand, slept pretty swimmingly, I assure you.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    Fat chicks used to be worshipped, fwiw.

k7vvr126wo4s.jpg

Worshiped for fertility. She's called the Venus of Willendorf.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    IMO the "good" thing about a true plus size model, assuming she models clothing, is that overweight women will get a more accurate idea of what they will look like in the clothing.

Someone said in an earlier post on this thread that market surveying has shown that women don't want that -- they want to think they will look like the size 14 woman wearing the plus size clothing. I'm not really sure about that.

I'm super grateful I no longer have to buy plus size clothing, but when I did, which was most of my adult life, I tried to be realistic on how it would look on me. Seeing things worn by an extremely overweight woman would have been something I would have preferred.

I don't care for the eff-it attitude about being fat, but I understand how it happens. I remember thinking at one point (when I was very fat) that my brain just wasn't in the frame of mind to do something about it. I also remember different times when it was and I managed to lose some pounds. Its complicated, being a fat person -- both when you are not working on losing, and when you are.

55835802.png
  • Therealobi1
    Options

I feel more sympathy for them. There is a lot of pressure in society to be thin and sometimes people take it too far. There isn't any pressure to be morbidly obese that I can tell. It's the opposite.

For me they both need sympathy. Both situations can be hard to reverse without guidance. Also it's the name calling people do in the first place that can causes pressure.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

For me they both need sympathy. Both situations can be hard to reverse without guidance. Also it's the name calling people do in the first place that can causes pressure.

I'm sort of under the impression that people who view her as a role model who they want to imitate is an extremely small number of people.

I'm not saying I don't have sympathy for obese people, just people who view this as a goal in life, although I guess I should have sympathy for stupid people, so I take it back.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only person who's health I'm concerned with is my own. As for the model in question: I've seen her on my facebook a few times, and every picture she has gets the same amount of "ew gross" and "yay awesome" kind of comments. I think she was signed because any publicity, even negative, is a money maker. I don't think the modeling industry really gives a damn about the messages they're sending out.

I don't think she's beautiful, but that doesn't mean she isn't beautiful to someone. I am absolutely certain there are a lot of people who look at me and think I am disgusting. That's fine with me. Haters gonna hate. My fiance thinks I'm sexy. I don't see it, but that's just me. This model...she doesn't represent something I understand, which I guess is okay because I don't have to get it. I've never been confident as a fat chick, and I don't think I ever will.

What's more important is that I think people don't realize that fat people deserve respect, just like anyone else. One of my friends had a girlfriend who didn't like me just because I was fat. She didn't want to know me, and she basically ignored me whenever we were in the same room. That didn't bother me. What bothered me is that she went so far as to ask my friend why he would hang out with me, like I was some kind of leper. When things started going sour in their relationship, he'd asked me for advice. She basically told him that my opinion and anything I had to say didn't matter...when I was actually trying to advise him on how to keep them together.

This discussion has been closed.