Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    promoting health is not typically what models do. unless they work for shakeology or shape- or fitUstoday.com or whatever.

she's paid to sell what her manager books her gigs for and take pictures for an owner/marketer who wants her body type/face/style/image to represent their product.

That doesn't mean she loves her body.
    That doesn't mean she hates her body.

Those two things are not connected.

Personally- I think people need to understand that loving yourself is not an excuse to stay the same. You don't need self hate to want to change.

you don't need to hate yourself if you think you need to change. You can want to change- and pursue changes without hating yourself.

it's okay to love your body even when it's less than what you think is ideal- it doesn't have to be your be all end all self esteem like people make it out to be.
    You are my hero for the day :)

Good lord I'm glad that it worked for someone- I was like damnit- typed all that *kitten* out and no one read it!!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Joe_Buck69 wrote: »
    Hahaha my profile picture was taken with the main camera on my phone, the added picture is from my photo booth webcam on my laptop where it faces me. I part my hair to the left, but in iPhoto it looks like I part it to the right. :P
    So basically if you use your Photo Booth webcam to snap a picture of yourself swearing allegiance to your flag with your right hand, it will appear as though you had done so with your left hand? Similarly, a photo of you with your right hand on the Bible will display the Good Book underneath your left hand?

That ain't right. (Oooh—the pun came to me only after I had typed out that sentence. I'm slow. :smile:)

I have a webcam on my iMac as well, and the "lens" on my monitor shows everything in reverse, as you have just described. So when I take a picture of my left hand, say, holding up a piece of notepaper (as I am wont to do whenever I wish to throw away said paper, but keep the info written on it, so as to reduce the clutter in my office), the "lens" freezes for an instant, to show the picture I have taken, in reverse, of course, as if I had used my other hand—but then when the picture appears as a preview in the "scroll" list at the bottom, which displays all the photos I've taken (and when it gets saved onto my hard drive), it automatically flips horizontally for a most accurate representation.

Left moles on the left, right moles on the right.

If I had any, that is. :smiley:

If I am facing north when I take this photo, and my "lens" is facing south, my bangs appear to the right. If I open the photo (with my computer still facing south) and I get up and face south, my bangs, which go to the left in physical person, still appear to go to the right in the photo. Lemme see if I can get a picture to explain....

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

And now I am posing next to the photo here

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

Hope this finally clears things up ;)

this makes me sad you had to explain this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Why do we insist that everyone deserves "basic dignity and respect?"

Why is this? Body ignored. Why do we enforce this belief within the societal contract?

Because disrespecting and demeaning your fellow human beings creates an ugly society full of bullies and the victims of bullies and most of us would prefer to live in a better society than that?

Where is this utopia you speak of?

Doesn't exist. Someday, maybe. We can certainly work toward that goal instead of away from it in the meantime.
    Fair enough.

Until then I will remained armed, and work on my trusty RBF.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Hahaha my profile picture was taken with the main camera on my phone, the added picture is from my photo booth webcam on my laptop where it faces me. I part my hair to the left, but in iPhoto it looks like I part it to the right. :P
    So basically if you use your Photo Booth webcam to snap a picture of yourself swearing allegiance to your flag with your right hand, it will appear as though you had done so with your left hand? Similarly, a photo of you with your right hand on the Bible will display the Good Book underneath your left hand?

That ain't right. (Oooh—the pun came to me only after I had typed out that sentence. I'm slow. :smile:)

I have a webcam on my iMac as well, and the "lens" on my monitor shows everything in reverse, as you have just described. So when I take a picture of my left hand, say, holding up a piece of notepaper (as I am wont to do whenever I wish to throw away said paper, but keep the info written on it, so as to reduce the clutter in my office), the "lens" freezes for an instant, to show the picture I have taken, in reverse, of course, as if I had used my other hand—but then when the picture appears as a preview in the "scroll" list at the bottom, which displays all the photos I've taken (and when it gets saved onto my hard drive), it automatically flips horizontally for a most accurate representation.

If I am facing north when I take this photo, and my "lens" is facing south, my bangs appear to the right. If I open the photo (with my computer still facing south) and I get up and face south, my bangs, which go to the left in physical person, still appear to go to the right in the photo. Lemme see if I can get a picture to explain....

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

me too!!! WTF you don't owe anyone an explanation.

• dbmata
    Options

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

It's also kinda just... basic tech...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

It becomes more challenging if you have no hair to part...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Dignity and Respect is to be earned.
    It's not a right.
  • dbmata
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

It becomes more challenging if you have no hair to part...

I would just use the part in my leg hair to demo.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Let me say this: I think if everyone who was cruel to vulnerable people vanished off the face of the earth, we would have peace, equality, freedom and food and medicine for all. And nobody would ever miss the a-holes.

or there would be nobody left.

I was actually thinking, "Because there would be nobody left."
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Here's my two cents...

There are many overweight people in this world, and those people need clothes.
    Whether those people like being where they are, or whether they are trying to lose weight, or in some cases gain - doesn't matter. They still need clothes.

Overweight people need clothes.
    Underweight people need clothes.
    Tall people need clothes.
    Short people need clothes.

And as far as I'm concerned - there should be models for ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE.

Because this "article" is pointed at plus-size, I'll use that example, but really - substitute any outlier body type...

Big people need underwear. Big people need bras.
    Big people like to swim - they deserve to have a bathing suit that works for them.
    Big people need to go to work and look professional. Big people like to relax too.
    Big people like to exercise.

Big people shouldn't be relegated to wearing tarps because the current market doesn't "like" the way they look!

As such... yes to plus size models! Make clothes that fit them, that flatter them, that help them feel good about themselves at their current state.

Because as far as I am concerned... many of our issues with food come from using it to medicate our emotional scars. And being dressed in a tarp because noone wants to design for it, is emotionally scarring.

PREACH! This + 1000
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    There are lots of plus size shops. Even misses clothes in many major retailers often go up to size 20.
    And as was discussed earlier, if super obese models were effective as selling the most units, then super obese models would be used to market goods to the super obese.

Getting tired of this conspiracy talk, as if smaller models are used simply because someone or "society" wants to make the obese feel bad about themselves.
  • JoRocka
    Options

uelh14lo2jxw.jpg

8hl4ycyl9z1w.jpg

well. more so that... well.

um.

all I want to say to someone is "yeah- duh"

because it's completely a technical thing that happens. all.the.time.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Let me say this: I think if everyone who was cruel to vulnerable people vanished off the face of the earth, we would have peace, equality, freedom and food and medicine for all. And nobody would ever miss the a-holes.

It's kind of ironic that you say that because I've seen you say some pretty ridiculous things around here that irked a lot of people. Kind of like the day you started calling someone a racist for saying something he never said.

Being obnoxious is not the same as being vicious. Anyway, if you post a link to "White N Proud.com", I'm going to call you on it as if it represented your views unless you disclaim it, which that poster did not do at any time.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There is a distinction between "fat shaming" and choosing not to enable obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits.

Then please explain that distinction...

The statement stands on it own, I don't think some variation of spoon feeding it would be helpful.

....No, seriously. I'd like to know the distinction because the phrase "enabling obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits" doesn't really help me understand the difference between the phrase and fat shaming-it does not stand on its own to all audiences.

Is it skinny shaming when someone with anorexia is criticized for their eating habits? I remember a model who caused quite a bit of controversy due to her obvious eating disorder. I didn't hear anyone come to her defense and claim "skinny shaming" Both behaviors are extreme and potentially dangerous.
    I worked with a woman who was very overweight. She always said she was happy that way, and she was ready to "go" whenever it happened. Last year at 45 years old a physician told her she was not going to be around to see 50. She had gastric bypass and has since lost a lot of weight. So, obviously she was not ready to "go" and was not as happy as she said.

^^ this.

What this?

Criticizing someone with anorexia - "Eat a sandwich!", etc, may be extremely counterproductive. People with the disease already stress significantly about food and meal times - adding further pressure, shaming them further about looks or diet can further reinforce behavior. It can be triggering.

Eating disorders are complicated and not only about eating habits. The symptoms that you see around food and weight-related issues and other behavior may be related to something much deeper like depression, insecurity, OCD tendencies, pressure to be perfect, etc...

Does thin-shaming exist? - of course. But even if it didn't. The absence of the opposite of A does not negate A. C'mon - basic 7th grade logic.

Or is this because you too knew a woman that got a bypass? What has this got to do with the price of pork in china and whether other people can be happy with themselves?

Oh come on...You would have to be an idiot to say to someone with anorexia to "eat a sandwich" same as calling someone a "fattie" or telling them to go on a diet. Of course saying these things would cause more stress or exacerbate the situation.
    She may be very happy now with herself! Good for her, she is absolutely beautiful and is making money doing what she wants. I really dont care.
    Let me make it simple for you...the point of the story is that I am afraid ultimately she will come to regret the choices she is making but, whatever...not my mom.

Thank you. I also think neither of us meant openly criticising the person and saying to their face "go eat a sandwich".

I don't particularly care about the model herself. I think it's fantastic for her if she is happy and can make money doing what she wants. If the #effyourbeautystandards campaign is helping her be comfortable with herself and helping other people as well feel more comfortable in their skin – good for them.

That doesn't change that if I had a daughter and she was that overweight and refused to lose it, I would be worried for her, same as if she had anorexia or any other eating disorder. Yes, she may be healthy now, but I could not help but fear that ten years down the line she would regret her choices.

So yes, it is great that she is happy with herself. However, that does not mean I cannot be critical of her perceived attitude – of course, she may be trying to lose weight and I don't know it. That is very true, but her comments and online presence just do not seem to point that way.
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hate it when people spell judgmental with an "e."

Just a personal preference. Carry on.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

You also never gave the poster a chance to say much. You immediately jumped down his throat without knowing nothing about him. Which basically makes you a judgemental person that wants to criticize others.

Well, I'm glad you've gotten a chance to share your feelings, seems like it's been bothering you for some time.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I hate it when people spell judgmental with an "e."

Just a personal preference. Carry on.

I hate it when people point out spelling errors when there isn't an error.
    Dude, report it, on this forum, that's worth a warning here. lol.
This discussion has been closed.