White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "The majority of consumers typically choose white rice over brown rice because of the difference of appearance. While it’s true white rice looks so much more delicious than brown rice, it doesn’t mean it’s the healthier alternative."
    And I'm out. The author wasted no time with a straw man in the first paragraph, tells me there's little to be profited by reading the rest of the article.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This thing's still going?
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like all types of rice. However, I try to eat more brown rice for several reasons. White rice has been shown to bring on rapid increases in blood sugar levels (this is especially important for diabetics to be aware of. Brown rice has more fiber and more magnesium, manganese, and zinc and it's the only grain that contains vitamin E.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    White rice has a higher glycemic load than brown rice (possibly due to the additional fiber in brown rice). My husband is diabetic and white rice causes his blood sugar to spike even more than pasta. We eat brown rice, but buy the instant variety (Success Rice and Minute Rice both make it) because brown rice takes forever to cook. Since we don't eat that much of it (only 1/2 cup cooked for a serving), we don't mind the extra expense of buying the instant version. I prefer the taste of white rice myself and if I eat out on my own, I choose white rice. Overall, I don't think rice is especially nutritious compared to other starches such as potatoes or even pasta. Unless you have to restrict carbs for some reason, all things in moderation.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Has OP cooked the rice yet?
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Martin Luther King had a dream that one day, his rice wouldn't be segregated on the dinner plate, that white rices and brown rices could come together in perfect unison, kind of like having a sandwich with one slice white bread and one slice wheat bread.
  • mollyhammar
    mollyhammar Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Never mind.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking rice tomorrow. Basmati with sweet Thai chili sauce and possibly some chicken, icuww.
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    Has OP cooked the rice yet?

Seriously. All this rice talk and we don't even know what the OP chose. I bet it was spaghetti.

Regular or whole wheat?

I tried whole wheat pasta once. I ended up eating pizza for dinner.

Whole wheat pasta is gross.
    Thanks!

I'm either making pasta or pizza tonight.

Or both.
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned arsenic exposure. Because rice absorbs inorganic arsenic when it is grown in areas where pesticides are used (or have been used in the past), rice consumption should be limited no matter which type. All of the research I've seen says that brown rice contains more arsenic than white rice. Since I prefer the taste and texture of white (especially Jasmine) anyway, this research has made me feel better about not buying brown rice anymore.

I like hats.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned arsenic exposure. Because rice absorbs inorganic arsenic when it is grown in areas where pesticides are used (or have been used in the past), rice consumption should be limited no matter which type. All of the research I've seen says that brown rice contains more arsenic than white rice. Since I prefer the taste and texture of white (especially Jasmine) anyway, this research has made me feel better about not buying brown rice anymore.

I like hats.

Don't be starting with that hat racism again. The rice racism in here is bad enough...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    This thing's still going?

MFP is it's own little place in the universe...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Yes, it's been discussed, I think we have succesfully beat this one to death and are now working on the proverbial dead horse lol.
  • mollyhammar
    mollyhammar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new here. Didn't know there was a dead horse in the room already.
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new here. Didn't know there was a dead horse in the room already.

Is that a brown horse, or a white horse?
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

I like hats.

Don't be starting with that hat racism again. The rice racism in here is bad enough...
    I am not a Hatrist. Some of my best hats are hats.