• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    if a calorie is just a calorie, then... i'm confused

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/ - high fat
    http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-did-get-fat/ - high carb

I am only going to address the first article

1. he only did it 21 days. it typically takes at least a week to start gaining. when I started my bulk I did not gain for about a week and half even though I started eating over maintenance immediately. So his 21 day experiment then turns into a 14 day one.
    2. he went low carb and dropped about three to five pounds of water weight initially, which evened out his gain.
    3. He does not adjust up for increased intake which would bring his maintenance and gain number up
    4. he still gained weight.
    5. Try an experiment on yourself. Eat 5000 calories a day for four month and see what happens...I guarantee you will gain a lot of weight an fat
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1. he only did it 21 days. it typically takes at least a week to start gaining. when I started my bulk I did not gain for about a week and half even though I started eating over maintenance immediately. So his 21 day experiment then turns into a 14 day one.
    2. he went low carb and dropped about three to five pounds of water weight initially, which evened out his gain.
    3. He does not adjust up for increased intake which would bring his maintenance and gain number up
    5. Try an experiment on yourself. Eat 5000 calories a day for four month and see what happens...I guarantee you will gain a lot of weight an fat

So to wrap it all up, a calorie is still a calorie...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have been guilty of posting something that was either misunderstood or someone added something to my post that did not apply to the subject.

MFP users are usually great with having supportive information and it appears to actually be tactful.

People these days just lack tact, manners and politeness. But if you are sitting behind a computer where people don't know you, or will never meet you... by all means be very untactful in your supportive answers..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

yes..

100 calories of apples = 100 calories of donuts...

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

yes..

I'll take an apple fritter and will call it even.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes..

I'll take an apple fritter and will call it even.

done
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    I read the book and started yesterday. so far so good. But to my horror I read a post on hear about someone who did the whole 21 days an did not lose any weight. Really, Surely that is not possible. If I keep to the calorie restriction and eliminate sugars and keep healthy carbs below 100g and do this for 21 days, there must be some result. Please tell me someone has done this with great success.

Meg when I went off all but 50 carbs daily in Oct 2014 I quickly so lost 10 pounds of mostly water in Oct. Over the next three months staying in nutritional ketosis I have finally lost another 10 pounds.

Since I replaced the Carbs with Fats I was still getting about the same calories and basically kept the same weight but since in my case Fat does not seem to stick to me as fat I did lose inches and gained better health to this point.

Low Carb High Fat eating did reduce my pant size but it did not change the scales fast. I know some people state they go on LCHF and the pounds just fell off. Since I do not crave food eating less is much easier but eating a pound of macadamia nuts in two days while eating other good food does not encourage weight loss even if it does encourage fat loss in my experience. That is why logging what one eat is important.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I read the book and started yesterday. so far so good. But to my horror I read a post on hear about someone who did the whole 21 days an did not lose any weight. Really, Surely that is not possible. If I keep to the calorie restriction and eliminate sugars and keep healthy carbs below 100g and do this for 21 days, there must be some result. Please tell me someone has done this with great success.

Meg when I went off all but 50 carbs daily in Oct 2014 I quickly so lost 10 pounds of mostly water in Oct. Over the next three months staying in nutritional ketosis I have finally lost another 10 pounds.

Since I replaced the Carbs with Fats I was still getting about the same calories and basically kept the same weight but since in my case Fat does not seem to stick to me as fat I did lose inches and gained better health to this point.

Low Carb High Fat eating did reduce my pant size but it did not change the scales fast. I know some people state they go on LCHF and the pounds just fell off. Since I do not crave food eating less is much easier but eating a pound of macadamia nuts in two days while eating other good food does not encourage weight loss even if it does encourage fat loss in my experience. That is why logging what one eat is important.

fake profiles can't lose weight, can they????
  • megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My feelings are in not hurt in anyway.
  • angiereid
    Options
    Hello just wanted to tell you yes their is hope I have been doing the 21 day for over 8 months to me it's a lifestyle change and I have lost 60 pounds and 30 inches. I just ordered extreme and I would love to help you if you need anything have a great day ☀️
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Whoa buddy.... You've got all my sympathy. This is gonna get messy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    angiereid wrote: »
    Hello just wanted to tell you yes their is hope I have been doing the 21 day for over 8 months to me it's a lifestyle change and I have lost 60 pounds and 30 inches. I just ordered extreme and I would love to help you if you need anything have a great day ☀️
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.
    angiereid that is awesome and encouraging. After cutting out all sugar and processed carbs that turn to sugar for 4 months I have lost another 20 pounds without going hungry after losing 20 pounds the old way by going hungry which always lead to a 100%+ regain. megthehen I have come not to be shocked by what people post on the internet forums. :) The 21 day of staying off sugar trick should work 100% of the time to kill cravings. It is a trick because if you can do it for 21 days one typically has broken their sugar addiction. :) Like many others I did it now 4 months ago and have not looked back as I have found no downside but better health and much less pain. Due to all of the arthritis damage I mainly walk some an some modified range of motion stuff. I do not expect you will want to stay in bed if you stay off the sugar if you are like me. I walked today while the temps where just after freezing mark and just now when I got home I did another quarter mile with 18F temps. Keep us posted. By the way every time I drop another 5 pounds quality of life improves in my case.