This will probably start a firestorm.

Options
marekdds
marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
I don't often post and then only about weight loss issues. Recent comments, by people in the media that women working (and making more than their spouse) is the cause of the disintegration of marriage and family in America, just pissed me off. In the 70's, I burned my bra and protested for women's rights. Now I wonder why I bothered. I served in the military when it wasn't done. I worked my way through school to get a career. I had 4 children, none of whom ever saw one day of daycare, (please, this is NOT to disparage anyone who needs this service). They are all adult productive members of society now. I have been married to the same man for 43 years. How does any of this destroy the fabric of marriage & family in America? Why do we tolerate ignorant people like this that want women back in the dark ages? Sorry, just had to rant on this one.

Replies

• Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Turn off Fox News?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i havent heard this once....where do you get your "news"?
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think it's silly too. I can understand it, but I still think it's silly. From what I understand, men still have the need (for pride's sake) to be the family breadwinner. My husband went from being a soldier to a disabled veteran, and for a while, I was making more money than him going to school. On top of depression from his condition, he was always depressed about not making enough money for his family. I think the only issue is pride, which is silly reasoning, but it's still there.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you were watching CNN to. You have to choose how you want your life to effect you. Its all a matter of opinion. Let them think what they want. It certainly is based on an individual outlook.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Turn off Fox News?

Umm actually Megyn Kelly did an awesome job of refuting the hypothesis, and she is on Fox.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't often post and then only about weight loss issues. Recent comments, by people in the media that women working (and making more than their spouse) is the cause of the disintegration of marriage and family in America, just pissed me off. In the 70's, I burned my bra and protested for women's rights. Now I wonder why I bothered. I served in the military when it wasn't done. I worked my way through school to get a career. I had 4 children, none of whom ever saw one day of daycare, (please, this is NOT to disparage anyone who needs this service). They are all adult productive members of society now. I have been married to the same man for 43 years. How does any of this destroy the fabric of marriage & family in America? Why do we tolerate ignorant people like this that want women back in the dark ages? Sorry, just had to rant on this one.

The women in US worked HARD to get their rights to be equal. Sadly, the media focuses on the women nowadays who would rather have men beneath them(and not in a fun way). I'm not saying all, or even most, women are that way but they are the loudest and are given spotlights on media.

As for these people talking about working mothers who provide for their families and dared to get out of the stereotype of stay at home mom (nothing wrong with that mind you), yeah I have MUCH more respect for hookers and strippers than I have any for the words coming out of their mouths. At least hookers and stripper mouths pleases somebody.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I heard this on channel 5 aand 3 so its not just fox or CNN
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    OP you need to develop a filter where you can tune out silly stories like this. nobody who should be respected thinks this way.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I never watch Fox News. I usually tune out this kind of bull**** and consider the source, but sometimes, it just gets to you. Not going to ruin my day. I am in my sixties, so pretty much seen it all.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Turn off ALL news imo
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

This is just nonsense. Everyone knows it's the degradation of women's sammich making skills that is to blame for the decline of western society.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

This is just nonsense. Everyone knows it's the degradation of women's sammich making skills that is to blame for the decline of western society.

See I personally blame the men for that. If your woman have enough energy left in her after coitus to make you a sammich, then you didn't do your job right.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    So it's CNN and not FOX. Not surprised.

I honestly don't give a crap what the idiots in the media say. They're the most prejudice, knee jerking hipster doofusses out there. Why people let the media sway them (especially politically) is beyond me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Because what is the alternative to tolerating them? I may not agree with them but I don't want to live in a country where we do something besides tolerate them.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Good point brower. I misspoke. I didn't mean tolerate, as in we should drag them out and shoot them. I believe people have their right of speech, no matter how stupid I think they are. I meant more in the sense of why are so many who think like that are elected by us, at least where I live they are. I can only speak for myself.
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    True movies isn't news love sorry to break it to you
  • Natosean
    Natosean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We don't tolerate them, we ignore them. In American media, any attention is good attention. The Kardashian's made a family business out of it. Fox News and the some of the other outlets have been doing it for years. They can't be censored they have the same rights to freedom of speech that the rest of us do. The best we can do is not tune in to it, because watching boosts their ratings.
  • Kilokata
    Kilokata Posts: 111
    Options
    Turn off Fox News?

^ forreal.

Most people I've met from my generation tend to accept the fact that both people in a marriage have to work to survive these days. College is expensive, housing costs money, health care is outrageous and food costs more than ever. Honestly, I don't even know how some people live single these days. If anything, I feel like it makes a relationship stronger. Both people working to keep things on the right tract is a great thing - it builds even stronger bonds.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

See I personally blame the men for that. If your woman have enough energy left in her after coitus to make you a sammich, then you didn't do your job right.
    tumblr_lx5fwjATo61qmijb2o1_500.gif
    Me thinks if women had less energy to make "sammiches" based off this theory, then marriages would be much better. :drinker:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I make more money than my hubby. We've been married 15 years with no end in sight :laugh:. He calls me his "sugar mama." Works for us. Don't really care about how it works for anyone else.