This will probably start a firestorm.

Options

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    that's interesting as men are the major stakeholders of the worlds finances...and have been for like ever, and family disintegration has been going on forever. Blame the women.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Its not just in America...its everywhere.

I grew up in a country/region/family where women come second to men...ALWAYS. Thankfully i had a dad who pissed off his entire family to support my choices of going to college and working and moving abroad. So im thankful for men like him.

Til today, i have uncles/ cousins/ male friends of relatives who think I am a *kitten* for coming to America and working and living my own life as i please. They treat their wives like maids and are not expected to be questioned...let alone go outside and work!! What can we do about it?

There will always be people who don't think much of women.
    They say the world is changing etc etc and women get to rule their own lives...but not all women get that...but then again...who knows if it will ever really change for us women.

its worse in the South though...i meet rednecks of all sorts who look at me like the only job i should be doing is cleaning houses.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ugh CNN is just as bad as FOX...I just don't watch the MSM...

The things destroying marriage is the lack of commitment and maturity by the people getting married. Not weather or not the man works while the woman stays home and cooks and cleans in high heels.
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't what nonsense they're saying because if what they say gets you watching, riled up, chatting with others, then they've succeeded in ratings!

The problem is that you're letting this get to you and question your world. You worked hard, your world is right, you do your part and support those around you and that's what's real. Not some nonsense someone tells you.

Magazines can tell you you're fat and ugly. News can tell you you're in danger and broken. Just turn it off. Watch a fun TV ad about a family folding laundry. They look alright, right? Now go buy the detergent. Just kidding.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I make more than my husband and work out so that I have the energy to make his sammich whenever he wants it. Oh, and my kids are pretty darned terrific, too! I agree with the poster who doesn't watch the news. :smile:
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I don't often post and then only about weight loss issues. Recent comments, by people in the media that women working (and making more than their spouse) is the cause of the disintegration of marriage and family in America, just pissed me off. In the 70's, I burned my bra and protested for women's rights. Now I wonder why I bothered. I served in the military when it wasn't done. I worked my way through school to get a career. I had 4 children, none of whom ever saw one day of daycare, (please, this is NOT to disparage anyone who needs this service). They are all adult productive members of society now. I have been married to the same man for 43 years. How does any of this destroy the fabric of marriage & family in America? Why do we tolerate ignorant people like this that want women back in the dark ages? Sorry, just had to rant on this one.

This is just nonsense. Everyone knows it's the degradation of women's sammich making skills that is to blame for the decline of western society.

See I personally blame the men for that. If your woman have enough energy left in her after coitus to make you a sammich, then you didn't do your job right.

Me thinks if women had less energy to make "sammiches" based off this theory, then marriages would be much better. :drinker:

Silly girl. Your opinion is irrelevant. Leave the thinking to us men ok?

*Ducks and runs out of thread*
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh and nothing destroys marriage. It's an idea, an institution that has lots of people interested still, even though it "fails" so darn often. There were cheaters and liars and abusers for centuries and people still get hitched. It's not going anywhere. No worries.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Its not just in America...its everywhere.

I grew up in a country/region/family where women come second to men...ALWAYS. Thankfully i had a dad who pissed off his entire family to support my choices of going to college and working and moving abroad. So im thankful for men like him.

Til today, i have uncles/ cousins/ male friends of relatives who think I am a *kitten* for coming to America and working and living my own life as i please. They treat their wives like maids and are not expected to be questioned...let alone go outside and work!! What can we do about it?

There will always be people who don't think much of women.
    They say the world is changing etc etc and women get to rule their own lives...but not all women get that...but then again...who knows if it will ever really change for us women.

its worse in the South though...i meet rednecks of all sorts who look at me like the only job i should be doing is cleaning houses.
    It's not just the south dear, plenty of men that I know (Upstate NY) cannot function on any level without their wives/girlfriends essentially giving them step by step instructions. Ironically they call these instructions "nagging" and without the "nagging" of said wives/girlfriends you should see the shenanigans they get into. Most of them label house work, tending the children, and making meals as "womens work" on top of expecting said woman to have a full time job. :D Personally I think half the problem is that women (at least in this area) get fed up with doing everything, and SNAP either going off the deep end and killing their husbands/bf's or leaving said relationship for a much younger and promising relationship or burying themselves in their work and children.

I am just an observer though, the person I am with is not the best but does at least acknowledge I am a human being and not just someone to make him sammiches :D
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    just comment to say that my husband just informed me as he was taking his women's studies midterm that women didn't burn their bras as much as the media said they did in the 70s. whaaaat
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

REEEALLLLY (Said like Ace Ventura)
    *follows with shovel and lime*
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    So basically guys need to get their sh_t together- lol....-.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I take everything said on any national news with great skepticism. News isn't news..it is propaganda...this goes for every single news agency out there. Nothing is objectively reported on anymore, it is all "opinion" generating.

People run the world...does it really matter if those people are men or women? The field is the most equal as it has ever been. And it gets more and more that way each day (at least everything I've seen in my life)....
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    So this world is going to sh-t........
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    modern feminism is something completely different from what it was 40 years ago and is a large contributor to many gender related issues.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    just comment to say that my husband just informed me as he was taking his women's studies midterm that women didn't burn their bras as much as the media said they did in the 70s. whaaaat

Who would want to... nothing says "I hate men" like having chaffed nipples.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

REEEALLLLY (Said like Ace Ventura)
    *follows with shovel and lime*

I like lime. Tastes good in my Bloody Caesar. But I prefer to use a knife.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So, my 18-year-old neighbor was over at the house playing video games with my boyfriend while I was out one day. While I was gone, he washed the dishes.

Then, he mentioned to me that he washed the dishes while the neighbor was here, and he said that the neighbor said, "Whaaaat? Your girl doesn't wash the dishes?"

To which BF replied, "Well, she does, but I live here too, plus I'm not working right now, so I mean, I do it too..."

Then, neighbor-boy said, "F--- that. My mom washes all of the dishes at our house. That's a girl's job."

My oh my. I wonder what would make that boy feel that way? My BF is currently out of work. I work full-time and go to school full-time as well. I still do the majority of the housework because he sometimes waits longer to do it than I would (can't stand dirty dishes in the sink, etc.) and because I don't really mind, but I think that it's ridiculous that this young man was so astonished about him washing one measly little load of dishes. My goodness. Like it would kill him to get his hands soapy since he's a man.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't often post and then only about weight loss issues. Recent comments, by people in the media that women working (and making more than their spouse) is the cause of the disintegration of marriage and family in America, just pissed me off. In the 70's, I burned my bra and protested for women's rights. Now I wonder why I bothered. I served in the military when it wasn't done. I worked my way through school to get a career. I had 4 children, none of whom ever saw one day of daycare, (please, this is NOT to disparage anyone who needs this service). They are all adult productive members of society now. I have been married to the same man for 43 years. How does any of this destroy the fabric of marriage & family in America? Why do we tolerate ignorant people like this that want women back in the dark ages? Sorry, just had to rant on this one.

I agree completely. The only thing stupider is the idea that gay marriage will destroy traditional marriage.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I haven't read the stories, but do they say specifically that men initiate the divorce because they hate that their wives are more intelligent/hardworking/rich than they are? It could easily be a woman who works her butt off to support a lazy husband, then divorces him because she's in a horrible marriage. Again, I haven't read the stories, but it looks like just a statistic without much reasoning behind it. It may not be what you are reading on the surface.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely true that women working and earning a living wage has raised the divorce rate. But it's only because women have a choice now. Back in the "good old days" when a woman was completely dependent on her husband for money, she often had to put up and shut up. Now she doesn't have to.

As for women out-earning their husbands and it being a direct cause of divorce...I don't know if that's a real problem or a made-up one. The implication is that men can't handle the emasculation and are leaving their marriages, but 2/3 of all divorces are initiated by women. Among college-educated couples, it's as high as 90% initiated by women. In my own experience out-earning my live-in boyfriends, they were fine with me making more money and paying more of the bills, but they still expected me to do all the "women's work" too so I had to let them go. Maybe they wanted me to be their domestic servant as a way to make up for the monetary emasculation...? Nah, I think they were just selfish and lazy, wanting to pick and choose their women's liberation views to mean whatever would best serve them.