Protein ruining weight loss?

Options

Replies

• tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Wait, whaa? I did not know these existed. Probably good I have never seen IRL. Drooool.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm holding steady right now because I've been lifting weight and gaining muscle.

I constantly fail at diets when I cut out foods that I like. I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk. Like cake and one-pound Reeces bars.

Many would say bars aren't food. I'm not going that far but most are just candy with some protein on top. There are ways to eat what you want in moderation but you need to have a good base. What are you plans long-term? I can't see you wanting to live off bars at 1200 cals for life -- you will get sick of them eventually.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Wait, whaa? I did not know these existed. Probably good I have never seen IRL. Drooool.

I've seen something like this at a gas station. I almost bought it.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm holding steady right now because I've been lifting weight and gaining muscle.

I constantly fail at diets when I cut out foods that I like. I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk. Like cake and one-pound Reeces bars.

I feel you OP, gotta do what works. Vegetables taste like regret so I disregard them myself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Yeah, you can usually find them at a candy store. Big suckers too!
  • arditarose
    Options

Many would say bars aren't food. I'm not going that far but most are just candy with some protein on top. There are ways to eat what you want in moderation but you need to have a good base. What are you plans long-term? I can't see you wanting to live off bars at 1200 cals for life -- you will get sick of them eventually.

I won't! Ha. But they are just a supplement and a yummy breakfast for me. And I do think of them as candy.
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I like protein bars too...and if you look through my diary you'll see two a day once in awhile, so I can't judge. Though I'm eating more calories than you in general.

Glad you're losing weight, your diary looks a little sad. What vegetables do you like?

Also, what lifting program are you doing? If you want to gain muscle you need to eat more, though maintaining muscle mass is the goal while your on a deficit.

I like red and yellow peppers, yellow squash, romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, carrots (sometimes), and mushrooms. I love frozen bag mixes that come with butter sauce; I can eat peas, green beans, and broccoli when they come in those bags.

I just lift weights twice a week; I'm not really following a program. I mostly just want to be relatively toned; not super muscular.

Thank you for being supportive! :)
  • arditarose
    Options

I like protein bars too...and if you look through my diary you'll see two a day once in awhile, so I can't judge. Though I'm eating more calories than you in general.

Glad you're losing weight, your diary looks a little sad. What vegetables do you like?

Also, what lifting program are you doing? If you want to gain muscle you need to eat more, though maintaining muscle mass is the goal while your on a deficit.

I like red and yellow peppers, yellow squash, romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, carrots (sometimes), and mushrooms. I love frozen bag mixes that come with butter sauce; I can eat peas, green beans, and broccoli when they come in those bags.

I just lift weights twice a week; I'm not really following a program. I mostly just want to be relatively toned; not super muscular.

Thank you for being supportive! :)

Oh you like LOTS of vegetables. I don't eat many more than that either. And dude...squash and zucchini. I eat it every night almost.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I won't! Ha. But they are just a supplement and a yummy breakfast for me. And I do think of them as candy.

Oh, I eat bars a lot too, but I used to eat a lot more. They eventually get tiring I found. Still a good snack but not so much a treat anymore.
  • arditarose
    Options

Oh, I eat bars a lot too, but I used to eat a lot more. They eventually get tiring I found. Still a good snack but not so much a treat anymore.

How long did it take you to get tired? I think I've had a quest bar every day for a year and I'm not tired. Before that it was pure protein for at least a year. Maybe someday for me. We'll see. I actually get excited every morning when I wake up, knowing that soon I'll be able to eat my protein bar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

You are early. Carbs and sugar still stall weight loss. I don't think protein will until the 2020s.

More seriously, don't worry about it. There are reasons not to eat an insane amount of protein (120 grams isn't that high, it's what I eat, heh, although you might want more than 1200 calories), but calories are what matter for weight loss.

• starrynight1929
    Options

I switch it up by adding and subtracting one or two things. Recently I added string cheese. I also vary the flavor and brand of bar.

I don't have time to eat lunch or make lunch for work, and I work 10 hour days, so bars are very easy and convenient options.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

You are early. Carbs and sugar still stall weight loss. I don't think protein will until the 2020s.

Hahahaha!

• arditarose
    Options

I switch it up by adding and subtracting one or two things. Recently I added string cheese. I also vary the flavor and brand of bar.

I don't have time to eat lunch or make lunch for work, and I work 10 hour days, so bars are very easy and convenient options.

Well good luck with the weight loss. Seems like you're okay but if you want any two cents I'd say: you may be able to eat more calories to lose, lots of protein is fine, eat those veggies if you can, take a look at lifting programs.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

How long did it take you to get tired? I think I've had a quest bar every day for a year and I'm not tired. Before that it was pure protein for at least a year. Maybe someday for me. We'll see. I actually get excited every morning when I wake up, knowing that soon I'll be able to eat my protein bar.

How long? Hmm, that's actually a good question. I've been eating bars off and on for a few years but really started eating more recently. So maybe a couple years. Combat Crunch is my favourite right now but even that is starting to wear a bit.
  • arditarose
    Options

How long? Hmm, that's actually a good question. I've been eating bars off and on for a few years but really started eating more recently. So maybe a couple years. Combat Crunch is my favourite right now but even that is starting to wear a bit.

I haven't tried that one. Actually I've never seen it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

If you are pressed for time you can make your own protein balls from PB, oatmeal and protein powder. It's certainly cheaper in the end and you can add cold yogurt to quick oatmeal as well for a quick meal.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I haven't tried that one. Actually I've never seen it.

Look for it at GNC -- it's amazing as far as bars go!
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Ditto. I have a Quest bar almost every single day - usually for breakfast! It's my motivation for those early morning workouts. As long as I workout, I let myself have a Quest bar
  • starrynight1929
    Options

If you are pressed for time you can make your own protein balls from PB, oatmeal and protein powder. It's certainly cheaper in the end and you can add cold yogurt to quick oatmeal as well for a quick meal.

Thank you, I may do that! As long as it can be low calorie as well.