Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yowsa. How do you pooh?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm holding steady right now because I've been lifting weight and gaining muscle.

I constantly fail at diets when I cut out foods that I like. I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk. Like cake and one-pound Reeces bars.

Many would say bars aren't food. I'm not going that far but most are just candy with some protein on top. There are ways to eat what you want in moderation but you need to have a good base. What are you plans long-term? I can't see you wanting to live off bars at 1200 cals for life -- you will get sick of them eventually.

I switch it up by adding and subtracting one or two things. Recently I added string cheese. I also vary the flavor and brand of bar.

I don't have time to eat lunch or make lunch for work, and I work 10 hour days, so bars are very easy and convenient options.

If you are pressed for time you can make your own protein balls from PB, oatmeal and protein powder. It's certainly cheaper in the end and you can add cold yogurt to quick oatmeal as well for a quick meal.

Thank you, I may do that! As long as it can be low calorie as well.

They can be lower calories than the bars depending on how much you make.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yowsa. How do you pooh?

Quest bars are high in fiber and have sugar-alcohols so actually that shouldn't be a problem.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm holding steady right now because I've been lifting weight and gaining muscle.

I constantly fail at diets when I cut out foods that I like. I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk. Like cake and one-pound Reeces bars.

Many would say bars aren't food. I'm not going that far but most are just candy with some protein on top. There are ways to eat what you want in moderation but you need to have a good base. What are you plans long-term? I can't see you wanting to live off bars at 1200 cals for life -- you will get sick of them eventually.

I won't! Ha. But they are just a supplement and a yummy breakfast for me. And I do think of them as candy.

Oh, I eat bars a lot too, but I used to eat a lot more. They eventually get tiring I found. Still a good snack but not so much a treat anymore.

How long did it take you to get tired? I think I've had a quest bar every day for a year and I'm not tired. Before that it was pure protein for at least a year. Maybe someday for me. We'll see. I actually get excited every morning when I wake up, knowing that soon I'll be able to eat my protein bar.

How long? Hmm, that's actually a good question. I've been eating bars off and on for a few years but really started eating more recently. So maybe a couple years. Combat Crunch is my favourite right now but even that is starting to wear a bit.

I haven't tried that one. Actually I've never seen it.

Look for it at GNC -- it's amazing as far as bars go!

I'll look tomorrow actually. I eat the Quest because they are low cal (for me) so I'll compare.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, you heard wrong. Too many calories ruins weight loss.

(*)

ETA: WOW! You are eating a crap ton of bars. That must be super expensive. I eat a few each week purely for convenience, but I don't have the budget to eat multiple bars every day. Plus, I think I'd get sick of it really quickly. Now I know how you're getting so much protein. (I struggle to meet my protein goals :) )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yowsa. How do you pooh?

Quest bars are high in fiber and have sugar-alcohols so actually that shouldn't be a problem.
    Quest bars are not a pooh-inducing thing from my experience.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    too much protein hurts weight loss? That is a new one!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

My calorie limit is 1200 a day. If I eat 120g of protein and 1200 calories, would that mess up my weight loss?

1200 on non-exercise sedentary days only.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!

Yes, that's the pound version!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The protein is not going to hinder your loss. If you like getting that through the bars and thats working, more power to you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!

They have a one-pound Snickers bar too.

• arditarose
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!

Yeah, it inspired a guy on here to consume all of his calories in snickers bars one day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yowsa. How do you pooh?

I go immediately after.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!

Yeah, it inspired a guy on here to consume all of his calories in snickers bars one day.
    Santa brought my BF one in his stocking this year. It's gone -- I didn't ask. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    According to your profile you weigh between 123 and 128. I'm not sure how tall you are and I haven't seen someone consume protein bars for 60% of their diet but I only looked at a day. Balance and moderation seem to work for many people. In terms of stopping your weight loss I am not sure I have ever seen someone think it is due to their protein intake being too high.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yowsa. How do you pooh?

I go immediately after.
    Not me. Quite the opposite.

Regardless: vegetables are good for you. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd eat 10 quest bars a day if they fit into my calories and I could afford them!! I'm addicted to the chocolate brownie ones, so yummy!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    0pnf5hzh48nk.jpeg
    Okay now I NEED this!

Santa brought my BF one in his stocking this year. It's gone -- I didn't ask. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing.

This guy inspired me. Truly.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are awesome!