So how did you all fix your cravings for fast food?

Replies

• Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    When I first started trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I just stayed away from it. I did this for one reason: I found fitting the calories into my day difficult.

Now that I have much more practice logging, and more of an idea of where to go, I am more confident eating from a fast food joint if that's what I want.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I eat fast food when I really want it, which turns out to be not very often. I quickly adjusted after realizing that most of the time I was eating fast food out of habit and because of a lack of planning. The other part that made it easy was logging my food and staying within my calorie allotment. Even now when the urge hits me I first decide whether I want to spend so many calories on just one meal. If the answer is yes, then I indulge.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    For me, it was pretty much telling myself the calorie content in burgers and fries. How much more food I could have for the same calorie amount. I switched over to fresh ground turkey in place of ground beef and there is truly, very little difference. I have not purchased ground beef in 3 years now.

If you want it though, just make in fit into your calorie allotment for the day.

When we have fast food, I make better choices, veggie pizza, grilled chicken breast, etc.

Works for me.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    I just stopped wanting to eat crappy food.

This.

When it finally registered that the crap I was eating was the reason I felt like crap...mindblowing. :)
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    I really don't have 'bad' food cravings anymore - they happen very rarely. A few things I did:

Slowly replace something I craved that was unhealthy with a better for me alternative: with soda, I switched to seltzer + 100% fruit juice. Over time, I reduced the fruit juice so I drink plain seltzer all the time, and putting in a little fruit juice is a rare treat- I just don't crave that stuff any more.I have found ways to make foods I love less calorific. Instead if heavy cream in soups, I've found that 0% fat plain Greek yogurt is a good stand in. For white flour pasta, I've found that the quinoa pasta works great for me- I actually like it better than the white flour kind. You get the idea...

I have learned to tell the difference between hunger, thirst, and stress craving. I found a lot of times when I used to get cravings it was because I was thirsty, or I had waited so long to eat I had built up massive cravings for everything sugary and bad! Or, if I'm super stressed out and sad I Woukd want dessert or a glass of wine. I now try to address the real issue. I drink when I'm thirsty, I eat before I get crazy hungry, and when stressed or sad, I go outside and take at least a 15 min. walk, or do a workout- the more ridiculous the better. If I'm stressed I need to laugh. Anything with women in leotards and leg warmers from the 80s usually does the trick.

I plan my groceries and my meals in advance. During the week, I have fun looking at various recipes, and on Fridays, I take all the fun things Ive seen and build my meal plan for the following week so that I can grocery shop Saturday morning. Having food ready to be prepared, with all ingredients on stand by has allowed me to cook or eat left overs every day. I used to eat fast food because I was too exhausted at the end of the day to cook. Now that I don't have to think about what to cook, I actually find the kitchen time to be ME time.

Finally, I haven't made any of my 'bad' cravings taboo or off limits. I'm in a pretty low cal diet, and have been using a technique where I rock above my daily intake by about 300 calories 1 day a week- it's also the only day every week I don't do formal exercise- I usually eat some of these foods on that kind of day. One week I may choose to have a couple of glasses of wine, on a different week, I may choose to eat whoopie pies.

You'll have to find strategies that work for you, everyone is different. Good luck!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    lgutches wrote: »
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

No one is being hostile. You came in judgemental. *shrug*
  • 4leighbee
    Well the food is not good for you. I guess I am judging the food lol. Not you though. Going to the grocery store while on the road IS a viable alternative. Sorry I offended you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I had kids and little money so I learned to cook. Once I realized what really good food tasted like, I never went back to that crap they sell at fast food places.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

This.

When it finally registered that the crap I was eating was the reason I felt like crap...mindblowing. :)

can we define "crap"..

you can go to mcdonalds, wendys, etc, fit it into your day and hit your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day and your overall diet will be fine.

Diet, dosage, and hitting calorie/micro/macro goal is what matters, not individual food choice....
  • ndj1979

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.
  • 4leighbee
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2015

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)

Fast food is not unhealthy.

Too Much fast food is unhealthy.

Similarly, too many granola bars and bananas would be unhealthy.

As the above poster said, context within an overall diet is what matters, not labeling individual foods.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I just eat more nutritious foods instead. Cravings gone.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....I Think I Can.....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    I don't eat it. Plain and simple.

Once in a blue moon we'll get something from a fast food place, but by now it has no real appeal for me. But to get to this point, I just stopped eating it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

This.

can we define "crap"..

you can go to mcdonalds, wendys, etc, fit it into your day and hit your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day and your overall diet will be fine.

Diet, dosage, and hitting calorie/micro/macro goal is what matters, not individual food choice....

Micros, macros, bah!! I say fast food is crap because it tastes crappy. It's low quality crap.
  • ndj1979
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Fast food is not unhealthy.

Too Much fast food is unhealthy.

Similarly, too many granola bars and bananas would be unhealthy.

As the above poster said, context within an overall diet is what matters, not labeling individual foods.

^ agree ...

yes, if you eat fast food 24-7 that would not be the best choice...however, if you ate fast food 24-7 and were in a calorie deficit you would lose weight.

just look up the twinkie diet...
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member

This.

can we define "crap"..

Micros, macros, bah!! I say fast food is crap because it tastes crappy. It's low quality crap.
    Agree it all taste like salt
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Fix? I stopped going. Considering in 2014 I dropped $1,061.94 on dining out. . . . That's ~$88.50 a month.
This discussion has been closed.