So how did you all fix your cravings for fast food?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I just stopped wanting to eat crappy food.

This.

When it finally registered that the crap I was eating was the reason I felt like crap...mindblowing. :)

can we define "crap"..

you can go to mcdonalds, wendys, etc, fit it into your day and hit your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day and your overall diet will be fine.

Diet, dosage, and hitting calorie/micro/macro goal is what matters, not individual food choice....

Micros, macros, bah!! I say fast food is crap because it tastes crappy. It's low quality crap.

well that is your personal preference....

however, if OP wants to eat in the context of her overall diet then she can, and hit her goals...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)

In and of itself, it's not unhealthy. Excessively consumed - probably (just based on sodium, IMO). But as part of a well balanced diet, it's not unhealthy. I had an Egg McMuffin the other morning, it was 300 calories, 17g of protein. It was a good breakfast and didn't ruin my day food wise, or my body health wise.

Anyway, I don't get fast food cravings, so I don't know what it feels like. We eat fast food when we need to for convenience. In my opinion, making stuff forbidden will lead to cravings, because we always want what we can't have, right?

I think allowing yourself to eat it occasionally will help, but if you're not comfortable with that, play around at home - there are so many copy cat recipes out there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)
    Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

In and of itself, it's not unhealthy. Excessively consumed - probably (just based on sodium, IMO). But as part of a well balanced diet, it's not unhealthy. I had an Egg McMuffin the other morning, it was 300 calories, 17g of protein. It was a good breakfast and didn't ruin my day food wise, or my body health wise.

Anyway, I don't get fast food cravings, so I don't know what it feels like. We eat fast food when we need to for convenience. In my opinion, making stuff forbidden will lead to cravings, because we always want what we can't have, right?

I think allowing yourself to eat it occasionally will help, but if you're not comfortable with that, play around at home - there are so many copy cat recipes out there.

I agree with this. I think my confusion is more about why they thinking I'm judging anyone. ;) Egg McMuffin ... mmm. The idea of a Whopper sitting on a counter for a year without one bit of degradation is more the nasty image in my head. Yes, I am judging that Whopper. Everyone should. Blech.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,526 Member
    Options
    For me, it was pretty much telling myself the calorie content in burgers and fries. How much more food I could have for the same calorie amount. I switched over to fresh ground turkey in place of ground beef and there is truly, very little difference. I have not purchased ground beef in 3 years now.

If you want it though, just make in fit into your calorie allotment for the day.

When we have fast food, I make better choices, veggie pizza, grilled chicken breast, etc.

Works for me.

Lies, damnable lies! While ground turkey may have its merits, it in no way compares to the rich, beefy flavor of real hamburger.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey there! While you can absolutely still enjoy fast food if you keep it within your calorie range, that doesn't seem to be the advice you really want to hear.
    Coming from a SEVERE fast food/soda addict (I ate all 3 meals, every day, at either Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, or McDonald's- as well as consuming over 2 liters of good ol' Coca Cola every day--I was also known for being able to down 6 burritos in a few minutes and a whole "Crave Case" to the face so...I get you to say the least) here's what I did:

I cut it out...entirely. I just said NO. Yeah there were weaker days when I got a salad or something from BK, but even then I'd think- "I can make this myself at home for less money and get a lot more food...so why am I doing this?"

The biggest thing that changed for me was realizing that fast food NEVER got me "full." That was why I was able to hammer down a million cheeseburgers or burritos--something in that ish was just enabling me to never feel an end to my hunger. I could just keep going and going.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat plenty of burgers and I'm known for my mac and cheese/burrito/nacho addiction. I just don't eat them from fast food places. I will order a burger from my local deli, or make a burrito at home. I've even been known to crack for more quality fast food places like Moe's or Smashburger (where there are healthy options if you wing it right). They at least enable me to feel satiated at the end of my meal, instead of reaching for more and more.

You can absolutely fit fast food in your calories if that's what you want to do and there is nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, however, it simply isn't worth it when it comes to really feeding your body with something it wants. I truly believe that's why the cravings are so hard to fight.....you're never giving your body what it wants so it keeps wanting more.

It's been 750 days almost of me not eating fast food and I don't feel deprived at all. I don't even miss it at this point. Sometimes when I see the Taco Bell near me I think, "It's been so long, one burrito isn't going to do anything at this point," and it won't. But I just think about how in 10 seconds I'll have 400 calories in my body that I can't even feel and I don't want to start the cycle again.

Things that helped me initially were: Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Smart Ones! Yes, they can be high in sodium...but think about how bad that fast food was. In comparison, it's a good transition.

I also began stalking the Whole Foods hot bar (if you have one near you). They make food you'd make at home, but without you having to do anything. FANTASTIC!

If you really still want fast food, try finding healthier options with more quality food. I love Moe's, Smashburger, Veggie Heaven...even KFC (they have surprisingly healthy choices there!) and go for the good stuff. I also found a really good diner (it's a Jersey thing so IDK if those are scarce near you) and I made good friends with the workers who always know my order and make it just how I want. It's awesome to have a "hot turkey dinner" on call after I get off work.

Kudos to you for making the first step of brainstorming! I know that you will find your ideal plan soon! :)
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    why dont you just make a burger and fries? make the burger with lean mince beef and use oven fries. Whenever I crave food like that, I always make it myself, i learned how to make pizza and burgers. But I also found the more good food i eat, the more i crave until i cant remember the last time i had mcdonalds. Its a great feeling to know I dont want it. But remember, there is nothing wrong with the occasional treat, like once a month
  • ashmarie1083
    ashmarie1083 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase a few years ago where I was going to McDonalds a lot because I didn't pack a lunch, or I was busy and on the run and needed something quick.
    Honestly right now, the last time I had "fast food" (mcd's, burger king, Wendy's, etc) was probably 3-4 months ago. It just don't have any desire to eat it because I know how bad it is for me.

2 years ago I read "Crazy Sexy Diet" by Chris Karr, and I've watched several documentaries on Netflix ("Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", "Farmageddon", "Forks over Knives" etc) and I stopped cold turkey eating red meat, drinking soda and coffee. And I don't miss it one bit.

For me it was knowing how bad certain things are when I put them in my body. I rarely eat chicken too. I get protein by eating beans, tofu, and drinking a smoothie with protein powder.

If you want it, have it, but make sure you have the calories. And try cutting back on how often you have it. Try every other day instead of every day... then twice a week.... and then once a week.

The fast food industry creates it's food by putting things in it that MAKE you want more. So the more you eat it, the more you'll want to eat it. So the less you eat it the less you'll want it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If I want it, I eat it... I just make sure it fits into my calorie goal.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.

really, how so?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    There
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Anyway, I don't get fast food cravings, so I don't know what it feels like.

This is the place all of the other smug answers are coming from. I will admit breaking the fast food habit isn't exactly the "how do I get off crack" thing people make it out to be but if you've never really had any food issues that go beyond being a few pounds overweight you probably don't know what it's like to really crave certain things. You're a non-smoker telling a pack a day person to "just quit." (I used to smoke also and quit a long time ago so yes I know.)

I know what it's like to be fat - I started out here at 232 pounds. I've just never had an emotional relationship with food. I imagine it's hard, which is why I try to offer suggestions on either side of the debate (find alternatives or eat in moderation).
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to eat fast food one or twice a week and gained a lot of weight from it. I pretty much just stopped eating it and never experienced cravings for it. I'll eat it once in a blue moon - like maybe once or twice a year - but that's it. It really makes me feel like garbage the next day so I stay away from it.

I much prefer a home made burger on the grill or one out at a regular restaurant than a fast-food burger.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food once or twice a week, and have been losing just fine. I just order the "junior" or "kids" version of whatever I'm getting. Makes it easier to fit into my day.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    We travel a LOT, so we still eat a certain amount of fast food (I like bananas and granola bars just fine, but they don't feel like a meal), but I've found that as I eat it less, I crave it less. It's a matter of your palate adjusting as your habits change. After a weekend of eating road food, I'm always craving a nice homemade salad more than anything!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Okay. If you want more food than that (I eat all day so no meals like that), grocery stores have more and healthier options at the deli counter. Even fried chix at a store would be better than a Whopper made of whatever those burgers are made of. J/S. And I'm not judging those who eat fast food. I'm offering to the OP what it took for me to rid myself of my craving for it.

You mean meat?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that after awhile of eating homemade food that is lower in sodium and sugar the urge to eat any restaraunt food waned and nowadays I can hardly stand any restaurant food as it is just way to salty. I gag at the just the thought of fast food.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I think my confusion is more about why they thinking I'm judging anyone. ;) Egg McMuffin ... mmm. The idea of a Whopper sitting on a counter for a year without one bit of degradation is more the nasty image in my head. Yes, I am judging that Whopper. Everyone should. Blech.

Try sitting a whopper on your counter and see what happens after a couple of days. It will start to smell bad, decompose, and then rot. It's made of ground beef, cheese, a bun, some lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup, a pickle or two....you get the idea. Bread will harden because all bread (even that nasty Ezekiel stuff) hardens and goes stale when exposed to air. Put it in a baggie and seal it and even the bread will mold and rot.

OP, like everything in life, You need to practice moderation. We get that learning moderation isn't something that happens overnight. For now, just stop eating as much of it. When you ask for that whopper at the end of the night, why are you doing it? You're not hungry; you just want to satisfy some ritual that you associate with food. Change that to something not food-related. Turn off the tv and go to bed if all else fails. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether that 4th meal is a whopper or something that would traditionally be considered healthier. If you overeat, you gain weight.
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    Options
    I am surprised so many are defending fast food. If you feel there is nothing wrong with it once in a while, then by all means go for it. But I am coming at from a different angle.

First I have an addictive personality (not saying this applies to original poster or anyone else) and I need to see what certain foods do to trigger that. Sugar and fast food trigger me to eat more and more. I never really get full eating them. I had to stop cold turkey, recognize what it does to me, and take it a day at a time. And yes after a while the cravings lessen.

And I need to respect myself and eating poorly is not respecting myself, it is more an act of violence or self destruction. If I want a burger I make one or I go to QUALITY burger place. There are plenty around. I am worthy of quality food.

The other thing I do is I decide before I go precisely what I will be eating. That way, when I get there I don't have to make any choices, because if I do they will likely be bad ones. I also try to limit myself to one item. If I want a nice big juicy burger, fine, then skip the fries (and appetizer and desert). Then I leave feeling satisfied and also proud of accomplishing what I planned.

That's my two cents.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    amdustin wrote: »
    I went through a phase a few years ago where I was going to McDonalds a lot because I didn't pack a lunch, or I was busy and on the run and needed something quick.
    Honestly right now, the last time I had "fast food" (mcd's, burger king, Wendy's, etc) was probably 3-4 months ago. It just don't have any desire to eat it because I know how bad it is for me.

2 years ago I read "Crazy Sexy Diet" by Chris Karr, and I've watched several documentaries on Netflix ("Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", "Farmageddon", "Forks over Knives" etc) and I stopped cold turkey eating red meat, drinking soda and coffee. And I don't miss it one bit.

For me it was knowing how bad certain things are when I put them in my body. I rarely eat chicken too. I get protein by eating beans, tofu, and drinking a smoothie with protein powder.

If you want it, have it, but make sure you have the calories. And try cutting back on how often you have it. Try every other day instead of every day... then twice a week.... and then once a week.

The fast food industry creates it's food by putting things in it that MAKE you want more. So the more you eat it, the more you'll want to eat it. So the less you eat it the less you'll want it.

so the food overlords have put things into the food to program us to keep eating their food??

gets on tinfoil hat and heads for basement....
This discussion has been closed.