124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tedrickp wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I rather eat food as drinks never keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.... besides fruits and veggies lose nutrients when you blend it. But I am glad it worked for you.

Do you have a source for that where I could learn more ...or even an idea of how much (percentage wise is lost)?

Is this true if you don't blend long/high enough to produce heat? Or if you consume directly after blending to avoid excess oxidation?

I'm curious too.

I know that you lose nutrients (like fiber) by juicing. But if you're just chopping whole fruits/veggies and dropping them into the blender, how does blending remove anything? Where do they go?

I may have to redact my statement. I can't seem to find a solid sources that backs my claims. I suspect what I read in the past may have not been accurate.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I rather eat food as drinks never keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.... besides fruits and veggies lose nutrients when you blend it. But I am glad it worked for you.

Do you have a source for that where I could learn more ...or even an idea of how much (percentage wise is lost)?

Is this true if you don't blend long/high enough to produce heat? Or if you consume directly after blending to avoid excess oxidation?

I'm curious too.

I know that you lose nutrients (like fiber) by juicing. But if you're just chopping whole fruits/veggies and dropping them into the blender, how does blending remove anything? Where do they go?

I may have to redact my statement. I can't seem to find a solid sources that backs my claims. I suspect what I read in the past may have not been accurate.

I've seen claims that juicing is bad because fiber is removed. I could see that.

I've also seen claims that blending makes nutrients more bioavailable (usually the claims are in the commercial for a blender). I don't really buy that one. Haven't seen any claims to the opposite though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm curious too.

I've seen claims that juicing is bad because fiber is removed. I could see that.

I've also seen claims that blending makes nutrients more bioavailable (usually the claims are in the commercial for a blender). I don't really buy that one. Haven't seen any claims to the opposite though.

I one article I did read today suggest that there isn't enough tangible research to back either side of the claims.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I do use a small-moderate, carefully measured amount of half and half and sugar in my coffee, but it's well worth the ~60 calories per 14oz travel mug (of which I'll have anywhere between 1 and 3 per day).

Past that....I don't drink my calories unless it's in booze (special occasions only at this point) or the once or twice a year I splurge on a milkshake. I've tried doing smoothies in the past and it's just not worth it to me - they taste fine, I guess, but I can think of a LOT better ways to spend 300+ calories in the morning.

Typically (especially during the week) I'm a coffee-only-til-lunch kinda gal, but occasionally I'll make a mock egg mcmuffin sort of thing - 100 calorie high fiber english muffin, turkey sausage patty, slice of cheese and a couple of egg whites. Clocks in around 225-250 calories, depending on the exact ingredients, pretty good macros, and super tasty and satisfying.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, OP!! I'm so glad this is working for you. Congrats on your weight loss!

I do a smoothie of 4 oz. unsweetened almond milk, 4 oz. plain greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 cup kale/spinach, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed. After getting 4 kids ready in the morning and needing to whisk them off to school, this is super quick and fits my macros really well at 280 calories or less, with protein, healthy fats, veggies and fruit.

Whatever works for you!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    And OP, 18 pounds down and 33 to go? You got this!

I will say if at some point drinking your breakfast is no longer satiating, or becomes boring, you can consider some of the other options PPs have shared:)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do drink about a third of my breakfast because I love my three large cups of tea and half and half. The rest is either 2 scrambled eggs and spinach or a Quest bar. Sometimes yogurt and strawberries. I'm not usually hungry for breakfast until late in the morning, it's really the tea that I want first thing.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat (or drink anything substantial) in the AM, it kick-starts my appetite and I am hungry all day. So I have two cups of coffee and don't eat until after 3:30.

But if this works for you, OP, have at it. It sounds yummy.
  • snookey16
    snookey16 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast almost every morning, I find it keeps me full until my morning tea (11am). Mainly do it during the week as i find if i eat anything else for breakfast I'm hanging out for morning tea time and its quick and easy. On weekends i do whatever i'm in the mood for.
    My smoothie is made with water and i normally add rolled oats, chia seeds, half a banana and frozen berries. I also add some other powders but they change depending on what i feel like.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have for breakfast most mornings. I do it for convenience and nutrition. Keeps me full until lunch. I do get hangry if I don't have lunch between 12 & 1PM.

mlaib855gi3v.jpg