Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Confession - I gave blood today, and am going to use that as an excuse to eat more calories.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I weigh publicly, say at WW or a fitness group (we have one at work) I weigh possible outfits by holding them up one by one whole standing naked on the scale.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Confession - I gave blood today, and am going to use that as an excuse to eat more calories.

They always tell you, "Eat a large meal and drink plenty of fluids!"
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    YES! Confirmation!!! Thank you, Ceci. :p
  • scott3609
    scott3609 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink to much wine in the evenings.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use a food scale for some things and measuring cups/spoons for others. If it's easily measurable in a cup or spoon, I do it that way. I don't cram it all into a cup though. I think that's where people tend to go wrong.

I don't really get the appeal of HRMs and other activity trackers. I'm not confident that they are more accurate than the calculators I can find online. It's all estimates and only time and experimenting is going to help you figure out your real maintenance calories, etc.

Same. I've seen too many threads where people were overestimating their exercise burns because of their FitBit (generic term).
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Am I in the only relationship in America where we can both eyeball a tablespoon or a cup in amounts and be within 95% accuracy?

I can pretty much tell you how many calories are in any quantity of any food I consume on a regular basis by eyeballing it. I don't understand the obsession with weighing either. I have lost 56 lbs in 6 months and after a couple weeks of measuring everthing I got this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use a food scale for some things and measuring cups/spoons for others. If it's easily measurable in a cup or spoon, I do it that way. I don't cram it all into a cup though. I think that's where people tend to go wrong.

I don't really get the appeal of HRMs and other activity trackers. I'm not confident that they are more accurate than the calculators I can find online. It's all estimates and only time and experimenting is going to help you figure out your real maintenance calories, etc.

Well heart rate monitors count your heartbeats to see how hard you're working out, so it's more accurate than random average calorie burns you can find online.
    There are a lot of people on MFP who are recent converts to the religion of being healthy and do things that aren't viable long term, like not counting all purposeful exercise or insisting that every gram of food that goes into their mouths is weighed and catalogued. I get it, really I do. Recent converts to any faith tend to be the most zealous. But I want to shake them and say "if you want to stay healthy, you have to have a plan you can follow THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Chill out before you burn out." It wouldn't do any good, so I don't. . .

Weighing is different though. Even if you only do it for a week, you will probably learn a lot during that week, so it's definitely worth it IMO even if it's just to learn more about portion sizes. But I have no problem weighing things at home for the rest of my life. It doesn't take any time, and if I'm going to log anyway, I'd rather just eat more than overestimating the calories of what I'm eating.

Confession - I got way upset when I found out that I'll never be allowed to give blood in the US because I was in France during the mad cow disease outbreak in the 90s.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Confession - I liked this thread better when it was a confession thread, and not an "I can eyeball food" thread.
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2015
    Options

Confession - I got way upset when I found out that I'll never be allowed to give blood in the US because I was in France during the mad cow disease outbreak in the 90s.

Ooh, bummer. That sucks.

• tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    - Seems legit to me!

• bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Confession - I liked this thread better when it was a confession thread, and not an "I can eyeball food" thread.

HARSH!

Ok, confession: I went to a party Saturday and had a few glasses of wine, lots of some nut/sesame stick mix stuff, dinner, and some chocolate, and chose to just log 800 calories, it was probably more like 2800
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »

HARSH!

Ok, confession: I went to a party Saturday and had a few glasses of wine, lots of some nut/sesame stick mix stuff, dinner, and some chocolate, and chose to just log 800 calories, it was probably more like 2800

No judgment! :D

• tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I consumed an entire jar of pickles today. by myself. My coworkers think I'm disgusting.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    YES! Confirmation!!! Thank you, Ceci. :p

They also tell you not to have alcohol for 24 hours. They should just say, "If you drink alcohol, it won't take as much to get you drunk." Or so I've heard. :wink:
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker. I quit 3.5 years ago and felt like I voluntarily left the cool kid club. Now I'm losing weight and feel like I'm voluntarily quitting the fat kid club. But I don't know how to join the fit kid club. I feel like I'm out here doing it by myself. I hate that I need to feel like a part of the ________ kid club. And I'm too old for the Mouseketeers!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I was a smoker. I quit 3.5 years ago and felt like I voluntarily left the cool kid club. Now I'm losing weight and feel like I'm voluntarily quitting the fat kid club. But I don't know how to join the fit kid club. I feel like I'm out here doing it by myself. I hate that I need to feel like a part of the ________ kid club. And I'm too old for the Mouseketeers!

Try meetup (either app or website). I just joined yesterday, and already have a group in going hiking with tomorrow.

There are groups in my area for hiking, biking, camping, backpacking, paddling, climbing, and I'm sure another two dozen "fit kid" activities.

Give that a try.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    32daisies wrote: »
    Another: if I I see someone consistently logging "1 serving of chicken (3 oz)", I give it the side-eye. Did you *really* only eat 3 ounces of chicken, or did you just eat a chicken breast (which can be anywhere from 9 to 12 ounces) and call it one serving?

(of course, if you're doing that and losing anyhow, eh, have at it, I guess.)

I do this too! 3 oz of chicken is pretty much nothing. I've never had a chicken breast that was less than 7 oz. I always know those are the ones who don't have food scales and are just estimating!!

I buy chicken and cut it down before freezing and weigh it out. Weight is written on the bag. So yes, some if us really *do* ONLY eat 3 ounces.

How do you manage to cut out exactly 3 ounces every time though? That's the thing I don't get... I see people log 3oz or 4oz all the time, but unless they're wasting food by trimming the breast until it's exactly 3oz, I don't really understand how it's possible.

I cook my chicken breasts in chunks and then weigh out the pieces. Perfect when cooking large amounts for a family

• tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I was in England at that time and am also banned from giving blood. Kind of sucks as I have a helpful blood type and I liked getting the cookies and sticker. But, when I do something really stupid I can blame it on the mad cow disease.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

Try meetup (either app or website). I just joined yesterday, and already have a group in going hiking with tomorrow.

There are groups in my area for hiking, biking, camping, backpacking, paddling, climbing, and I'm sure another two dozen "fit kid" activities.

Give that a try.

THANK YOU! Totally going to look into that!