WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    To the gal not losing with low calories.... Low, low calorie diets have not been successful for me personally. An occasional day under 1200 does occur, but I do not make it a practice. You might also consider strength training. Lean muscle will keep your metabolism running at a higher rate. My greatest weight loss came when working with a personal trainer only 1 time a week for a half hour. Not a horrible amount of weight work at all. It's a three-legged stool ... cardio, calories, weights. Lesley from Tasmania has received good advice from her trainer regarding this.

Nasty weather here. Snow, then rain, now ice and more snow expected. Sigh ...

Socialwacker ... great NSV ... congratulations!

Sylvia ... the parents talking in the studio during the lesson were rude and encouraged the volume to increase. Shame on them. I'd have found a way to accidentally lock the little bugger in a mop closet ... that age group sucks the lifeblood right out of me!

Read all the posts, but need to run son to math tutor. Will check back later.

Beth

• k2boxlady
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement. I will up my calories to 1200 and see what happens. It can't hurt. And yes, Robin, I drink water all day long and keep a bottle by my bed at night so every time I wake with hot flashes, I have my water. I usually drink about 6-8 16oz bottles a day. Can you explain "densely nutritious"? My most caloric meal of the day is usually breakfast because I like my Special K Chocolatey Red Berry cereal. I use skim milk on it tho and since I do not like milk, I never drink with is left in the bowl. Lunch is salad or a turkey or chicken burger with no bun. And dinner is fish or anoth white meat with various veggies. I have not had a slice of bread in a month. If my family has fries, I bake sweet potato fries for me. I am not ready to give up. Like I said, I am feeling better. Before I started this, I would need to take 3-4 Imodium tablets a week because I would eat and immediately start with terrible cramps and diareah (sorry if that is TMI). I am happy to say I have not had to take a single one in 30 days. In that respect, I will keep on keeping on. Thanks all!
    Karen
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Evening!

(((Diana))) sounds like you had a miserable day. Hope tomorrow is better. I got my first and hopefully only speeding ticket a couple of years ago. I wasn't paying attention to my speed and was 15 miles over the limit on the interstate. It cost me a whopping $300 dollars and raised our insurance rate significantly.

I am having a little problem. My DH was never ever overweight until he quit smoking 2 yrs ago due to a heart attack. Now, all he wants to do is eat. He is constantly asking me if I want to eat out and this is a big NO No for me. I can almost never stay within my limit when I eat out. I feel like I am hurting his feelings by telling him I don't want to eat out. Any ideas?

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    x marks the spot
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I worked out my cals for 3.3 miles was really 708 cals. need to look at cals before and after with Charge. I took cals from midnight oopsy.
    Food = 1678 cals so no dessert tonight, Stan wins mine.
    Training ; 2 mile walk and JJ's Circuit B = 645 cals
    Going to hairdressers at 2 pm
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :D By the time I catch up on reading the posts, the questions I want to answer have been answered fabulously by several of you. That's one of the great reasons for being part of this thread.

:D I have a very narrow definition of nutrition dense food so when someone asks what they should be doing differently, I immediately want to check their food diary but rarely get to see one. I start my day with a breakfast that contains a lot of protein because I walk for two hours early in the morning and three days a week go to a two hour dance class. Sugary cereal and milk wouldn't give me the nutrition I need for my day. Little by little I've made changes in what I eat from what I've learned from the great women on this thread either from their personal experience or from books and articles that they've suggested.

:'( Brandy and Bernie have been gone all day to the vet to get their teeth cleaned. Sasha is home alone with us. Tomorrow I go to the periodontist to get my teeth cleaned and then on Monday I go to the regular dentist for him to look at a rough spot on the back side of one of my front teeth. Last week Jake had his teeth cleaned and two cavities filled.

1356781mwq5qxtwpx.gif

:D Congrats to everyone who is meeting or exceeding their own personal step goal.

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My tracker want work either. I have gone to Setting, Apps and ticker and then on the forum options I checked and saved. I've done this a couple times and it still doesn't work. Am I missing another step? Thanks for your help.

TNSue
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and new to mfp. If it's ok I'd like to follow along and make goals next month.
    -Kellie from Ohio ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Kellie from Ohio ... join in the conversation ... tell us a little about yourself! Or just "follow along."

Cereal and milk would never do for me either in the morning. Protein (eggs, crustless quiche, steel cut oats, etc) with out too many gluten based carbs holds me until lunch and gives me the energy I need.

Beth in WNY
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    More new ladies. That is wonderful!
    I have "designed" a little motivation for my inner child this month- I found some cute Valentine stickers at Target. They are tiny. I am using them on my wall calendar. A little cupcake sticker is for logging each bite and sip. A flowery snowflake is for exercising. A tiny heart is for taking my blood pressure. So far my days are very decorated. Does anyone else do anything like this?

Some of you shared some great NSVs - big pants go bye-bye; sweaters now wearable; fastest first mile........ Congratulations!

Sylvia - so glad you are better.

Michele - When are you going to be painting your bug friend?

Peachstate - Could you eat before going out and just enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while you keep him company? It is probably not what he'd prefer but it would be a compromise. I know that would be hard to do but just think how good you would feel that you could resist wrong eating!

Not much time to respond tonight but I've read all the posts and have you all in my heart!

Toni in TN (Where a dusting of snow is expected tonight)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: Congratulations on doing well with your February steps goal! Zumba is a really difficult challenge for me because my knee won’t take sideways pressure and there are many moves to the left and right sides. I love the teacher, the other students, and enjoy the music but I don’t relax and enjoy the exercise because I’m always adjusting each move to minimize knee pressure. I spend much of the class marching in place. I hope that you will eventually be able to participate in Zumba and enjoy it.

Lisac195: Be patient with yourself and the process. This is a reliable way to lose weight but it is NOT speedy. Be sure you measure your food to verify your portion sizes. (My worst problem was portion control. I always made good food selections but ate way too much.) Food scales are extremely helpful and so are measuring cups or dishers. Count every bite and swallow and log everything. No one has to see but you. People have different opinions on eating back exercise calories. I always allowed myself to eat back part of my exercise calories. I don’t eat back all of them out of concern that I might make mathematical or measuring errors. This isn’t a quick fix crash diet; it is a way to change your eating habits for a lifetime of better heath. I hope you’ll stick with it, even when progress is hard to see. One more thought about metabolism. The MFP model uses calorie burn data that I suspect is based on younger adults. After we reach a certain age, our bodies don’t burn as many calories as they once did. We can still be successful, but it takes time.

Stephanie in Central OR: Some of us who live in dark, chilly and damp climates (and elsewhere) have exercise bikes that we can ride in front of the TV or in the garage. It is a weatherproof & time of day proof way to burn calories. I can read romance novels and ride my bike at the same time. :devil: :bigsmile:

Karen: I used to be one of Imodium’s best customers. I’ve tracked down food sensitivities and avoid those foods that irritate my tummy or take enzymes to help digest them. I haven’t needed nearly as much Imodium as I did in years past but I still have it in the cabinet and my purse.

Barbie: Congratulations on all the bright smiles in your household.

Newbies: Welcome!

Yoga today kicked my backside. I miss my old teacher but I know I’m getting a good workout with the new teachers. Things are different and I have to work a little harder. I missed my core class this morning because I was up late and needed to sleep in. Tomorrow I’m supposed to go to Zumba with my neighbor, but I also am meeting a friend for brunch. I’m not confident that I’ll get home in time for the brunch, so I need to let my neighbor know I have a conflict.

Have a great evening.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    Options
    thorn377 wrote: »
    My tracker want work either. I have gone to Setting, Apps and ticker and then on the forum options I checked and saved. I've done this a couple times and it still doesn't work. Am I missing another step? Thanks for your help.

TNSue
    :D Sue, you have to add your tracker each time. I keep the code for mine in a word document so I can easily paste it onto my post when I want to.

146200.png

:D Kellie from Ohio, welcome and join in as much as you want to.

:D Toni, I love all your stickers.....I put a sticker on my calendar if my meet my step goal for the day......over the years I have increased my goal---I love seeing the stickers--I need rewards :D

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifBernie and Brandy are safely home from getting their teeth cleaned. They are both pretty dopey. I could have kissed the vet when she said that she gave Bernie a long lasting pain shot so there wouldn't be any pills for him....nobody really knows how to give pills to a cat.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Back from bridge. Made crab cakes for dinner but DH didn't want that so froze them. I got a giggle when I read the comment about the microwave and the frozen cat in the same sentence as the Frozen party. You guys keep me healthy by laughing. I also had trouble getting my ticker to appear. I saw the code but tried to copy it and I got a bunch of stuff that different make sense. Will try again after this.
    SueBDew - TX
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, let's see if it works
  • barbiecat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sue, go to Apps, then ticker, then get code for ticker and copy the BB code and paste it on your post.

146200.png

That's exactly what I just did to post my ticker

It says that there is a way to make your ticker show up on all your forum posts but that doesn't work.....you have to copy and paste each time.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    bike ride from home 2 gym- 12.19min, 14.3amph, 3mi = 119cal

spin class- 42min, 76 average revolutions per min.(how fast i'm pedaling)
    118 average power i was giving out for the class
    13-15 average gear i was using (gears on machine are 1-24), total distance 15.7miles
    total calories = 336

bike ride from gym 2 train station- 6.45min 12.6amph 1.4mi = 76calories
    bike ride from station to home - 17.26min, 9.3amph 2.7mi = 174calories
    total cal for the day 705calories in 78minutes
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good evening my friends,
    I had a periodontics appointment today and got a good report. Teeth are cleaned and ready for my cruise.

*Sylvia, loved the jokes.
     
    *Social, congrats on under growing your yoga pants. That is a wonderful accomplishment!!

*Stephanie, welcome and good for you on getting serious. That’s all it takes. Many of us don’t like exercise but we make ourselves do it anyway. Here you will get lots of support and some useful ideas to make your journey easier. Good luck.

*peachstgal
    , I agree on the eating out. It is so easy to go over calories and they seem to drown everything in butter. I don’t want to pay their prices for a salad when I can have a better one at home. Is your DH aware of his weight problem? When mine quit smoking he started sucking on hard candy and soon learned to use the sugar free kind. Good luck to you both.

*Toni, I love your sticker idea. Any motivation is good as long as it works for you.

*Meg, you asked about my cruise. I leave from Charleston, SC which is just a little over a 2 hour drive. It’s for 7 days and we visit Nassau, Half Moon Cay (Carnival’s private Island) and Grand Turk. My DH doesn’t even want to try a cruise so I go with a girlfriend. This is only my 3rd cruise but I was hooked after the first one. We now take one each year and I’d go on more if they were free. B)  I’m just hoping for warm weather!

*Hi Kellie, and welcome to the group. Good luck on your goals.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!!
    Everyone have a healthy and happy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Went to yoga this morning and then took the deep water class. Afterwards, stopped at Big Lots to see if they had the oat bran (they didn't) but bought Vince two loaves of rye bread. Then went to Bi-Lo just for a few things. Then home and made two kinds of chocolate chip cookies for vince and some ginger cookies for the gal at the Y whose birthday is next week, I'll take some to the place where I take the extremepump class, and have some for when we have Rummikub here next tuesday.
    ybnzu50v6hn7.jpg

The plan for tomorrow is to do a ASAP Fitness DVD. Then I need to go for my injection of Prolia, then lunch with the Newcomers. I was about to prelog the Italian Wedding soup, but when I saw the sodium content (I just have to use what's in the database), I almost died! Looks like it'll be a grilled chicken salad for me.

Kim - your steps are right up there with barbie's

Margaret
    - welcome!

sharon - i hope you feel better fast. You raised a really good son, there.

Mary - next week the gal who house I usually go to to play mahjongg can't do it so we'll have it here. I did invite one of my neighbors, too. then the next night I invited 3 of my neighbors to my house to play Rummikub.

Alison - you've certainly been exercising. All that shoveling!!!

Caddi - welcome! What is an IT trainer? Wishing hubby all the best about his hand

jeanneofmalta - welcome. What part of FL are you in?

Heather - your trip sounds awesome!

k2boxlady - This initially sounds silly, but increase your calories to 1200. If your calories are too low, your body will hold onto any and all fat that it can believing that you're in starvation mode and it's trying to help you. that kind of "help" you don't need. Increase your calories by about 200. Once your body figures out that it isn't in starvation mode, the weight will come off.

marytyoung - welcome back! Just jump right in on the conversation

7elizamae - welcome

Sylvia - oh how I want to tell you about Downton Abbey's dog, but I won't. Talk about pain.........

Janet - I, too, found Joyce's telling me about the strainer interesting. I never knew this!!!! Doesn't it just feel great when you wear something that's too loose?

I really need to get moving on making that latch hook Christmas tree skirt, so I will probably be back after a bit.

Vicki - the ladybug is about a foot long and about 7" high. I'll try to post a pic. I had to do a little touchup after it was fired. I didn't know that I had to use a different type of paint! Honestly, the color red was close but not exact. Well, I was told that in the sunlight it'll fade. Live and learn....and this was my learning piece. Update: don't know why it posted where it did, but it did post.

Karen - when you say that you bake sweet potato fries, do you make them from scratch? How do you bake them so that they're crispy? I've never been able to get sweet potato fries to be crispy. Oh, if I bought the frozen ones in a bag, those'll crisp up. But they've also been fried first.

I'm feeling blue right now. Tomorrow is Bryan's birthday. I can remember giving birth to him. I've gotta keep myself in check. At least he's calling a bit. Vince just put money into his PayPal account for his birthday. I do miss him. I was thinking about his wedding. I'm sure that's the last time I'll ever see him

Kellie from OH - why just follow? Why not just jump right on in. We'd love for you to be here frequently!

toni - I'm not quite sure when they're going to be pouring the praying mantis. I find that I can usually go early in the morning on Tuesdays so I'll call them maybe Monday and see if it's been poured. If not, I'll work some more on the tree skirt. I did call this place in SC where they get a lot of their greenware from and ordered a large snail and turtle from them. Not sure when that'll be poured. A friend told me that they make "trips" down there quite frequently so someone can get it for me. I also want to check out their house number signs. I saw in a catalog up here that they had a house number sign with some animals on top. For us, a cat on top of the sign would be so cute so I want to check out if they have one with a cat. The lady THOUGHT she did.

peachstategal - I find that if I put that "True Lemon" (powdered lemon) in my tea, it seems to squelch any desire to have something else.

Sue in TX - crab cakes...now you have me drooling

Michele in NC

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Using my ipad, I go to this page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/finished

Then click on the box that says "BB code", hold it down till I get the option to copy.

Then come back to this page, press in the reply section till I get the option to paste.

:smile: {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    :smile: {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    :smile: {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    :smile: \deftab720
    :smile: \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

:smile: \f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    :smile: \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 ::
    :) [im g]
    http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/4547/7098/45477098.png[/img]}

A whole bunch of junk pops up (I pasted it here and added some smiles just so it stays put) and it looks nothing like the stuff I just copied.

So, I delete everything BUT the two sets of brackets that say "img" and everything in between them.

That leaves just the important part.

:smile: [im g]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/4547/7098/45477098.png[/img]

Hopefully it works.

45477098.png

• thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going back to work tomorrow after being off for over a month. I've been really consistent with my work outs but with my new work schedule getting to the gym before or afterwork most days will be tough. I have only about an hour before or after work on most days and that's not enough time to get there, work out and get home or to work in time and the weather and sidewalk conditions make walking tricky. Although with all the snow we have been and will be getting this week I'll be shoveling a lot and exercise will not be problem for the near future. Does anyone have any mini workout suggestions that work well for them? I really want to try to keep to my exercise goals for the month. Thanks :)

75698249.png