WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    tobytigger wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am new to MyFitnessPal and to blogging but am 58 and would like to lose some weight and improve my lifestyle. Originally from Maine, I live in New Jersey, and gained 30 pounds over the past two years while successfully fighting thyroid cancer. Now I need to take off some of that weight! May I join your group? How do I do so? Karen

hi there... no need to "join" just chime in whenever you like.. welcome!
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Karen from N.J.. . . I think you just joined the group when you posted! Welcome and congrats with your thyroid cancer success!

I wish I could "like" the posts on here. There are so many that are inspiring to me.

I had a not-so-good day yesterday! Ended up in the E.R. Neurologist thinks I am having seizures that are causing a plethora of issues for me. So, if the medicine works, I should be rid of some health issues in 8 - 10 days. I hope he's right. I want to get on with my plans for improving my health this year, and all of my "issues" have been getting in the way.
    Had to cancel my personal trainer yesterday and my first harp lesson. I just HAVE to keep going. PT rescheduled. . . harp lesson rescheduled! Tomorrow's another day!

Have a good day and be well!

Judy in PA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Red - L O L ! ! !

Allison - Hugs ! All that snow and blowing is definitely unfair.

Judy - Hugs !

Everyone new - Welcome ! ! !

Diane - Thanks for the FitBit information. I will definitely take everything in account prior to making the purchase. (I may also drag my feet a few more weeks, to make sure she is still on the "work-out wagon" before spending my money)

Today I rode the bike for 10 minutes. It seems like increasing my time by 1 minute each time I ride has been successful so far. But my knees are starting to stiffenagain, so I'm really looking forward to the cortisone shots at the end of the month.

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Allison, you are such an angel for visiting and feeding your DFIL. I know all the residents must enjoy your visits. Good for DH on his weight loss, now I’m rooting for you. And so sorry you keep getting more snow. My heart goes out to you. :(

*Betti, have a great time on your cruises. The Mediterranean cruise sounds fabulous! I doubt I’ll ever make one of those since DH won’t go with me. Where do you cruise from for the first one? Unfortunately, I’ll probably drink my calories each day before I even start to add food. At home when I have a drink, I use Diet Tonic but know that they don’t have diet mixers on the ship.

*Diane, your plan for your trip sounds great. I wish you luck. Have a wonderful time!!!

*Debora, welcome to our little community. Congrats on your loss and I hope you are a big loser in the coming months.

*pip, glad you made it to the gym and how nice that you took the opportunity for an additional workout removing your raingear. Lol You are such a role model in exercising and eating right. Look at all the money you save on groceries, having a bag of pretzel crisps last you so long. I’m impressed.

*Heather, that’s terrible about the people that got stung by Hornets. Glad you are working all your activities in between the rain.

*Terri, that is great that your DD wants to start working out. All I can say is if it were my daughter, I’d probably wait a bit on the FitBit until I knew she was going to stick with it. That’s just because I know my DD. On the other hand, if she stops using it, you would surely be the recipient of an almost new FitBit.  :o

*Red, OMG, did you have to tell me about the x-ray glasses? Now I will really feel self-conscious or ah I guess I could just not eat too much. Laffin’ about those backwards panties. Good thing there were no x-ray glasses in the gym.

*Karen, you are welcome here. There is nothing to do to join, but show up. We are happy to have you with us.

*Judy, I hope the new meds work. Health issues can get in the way of so many things. Keep us posted. I too wish there were a "like button" in here. It would be great to acknowledge a post without having to make such long posts(like I know I do. Sorry).

*Sue, I thought that DH would love a cruise if I ever got him to try it, so have mentioned a short cruise to him several times. So far no luck, but I’ll keep trying. We haven’t vacationed together, without the dogs in about 8 years. I love them dearly but that is the only reason I might not get more when they are gone.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!!
    Everyone have a healthy and happy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Judy, I am so sorry for your health issues. Please take care and keep on trying.

I also wish there was a like button. It would make it easier to respond and participate. I continue to be amazed and eternally grateful to those who take the time to respond individually to so many. My own responses are hit and miss, usually to those immediately above my post.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ladies from snowy and cold Nebraska. Snow is pretty this morning and must say our city crew is doing a great job getting the streets cleared. Well yesterday was a very stressful day. By the time I got off work I was ready to scream. Then DH tells me he has to work a double. So I am not proud of myself, I went on an eating binge. Ate until I could eat no more and felt sick. I have not done that in a long time and so upset with myself. But today is a new day and I am feeling stronger today. I have my Bible Study this evening and looking forward to that.

Sassy aus Austria--WOW!! what a project. Can you come do my house next? I keep trying to declutter and clean. I can get it done and then before I know it has come back with friends.LOL

Heather--Looking forward to pictures of the elephant ride. You do so many neat things.

I am still not caught up with this month, but out of time. Well be back tomorrow. Have a speical night. One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    thanks damnit!! I love your profile name damnit! lmao!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Terri you may possibly be able to snag a used one on ebay since FitBit just came out with their new model with the watch and heart rate monitor. People may be upgrading and wanting to sell their old one. (Wish I would have thought of that last week when Hubs ordered one!)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Red ... thank you for the laugh ... that is so like me.

Yesterday I was moving a large basket of funeral flowers in the church. Must have pressed the powdery part of the stamen against me at some point, but I didn't know it. Went to the bank, the grocery store, talked to a friend at the store ... no one told me that a third of my face was covered in yellow. When I picked up my son he asked if I had been eating mustard or something!! I eat mustard, not bathe in it!! Sheesh! Looked like a yellow faced raccoon! And it took quite a while to get it all off!

Judy ... sorry you had a health scare yesterday. Your attitude is spot on, though. Sending you hugs!

Alison ... the snow just wears us out. I came in the house the other day near tears as well. Hang in there! Today was another hour of moving that white stuff ...

Heather ... why were you in bare feet? I'm like Princess Pea ... so much as a pine needle underneath my foot or in my shoe and I can't walk. I don't think I could have even managed in socks. Shoes for me!

Cynthia ... I'm a firm believer that when one door closes, there's another one getting ready to open. Hoping this will be a new beginning for you.

Made peanut butter cookies today ... why??? ... I am my own worst enemy. Will freeze most of them otherwise DH and DS will have them gone by evening (and they don't need them either). My newest trick is to freeze sweets in empty frozen vegetable bags. They never think to look in there for something to eat. The goofs, however, have not yet questioned why I have multiple bags of green bean bags clipped in the freezer.

Have a good evening!
    Beth in Western New York
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beth - Thanks ;) I am totally stealing the frozen vegetable bag trick ! ! ! DS will eat any veggie I put in front of him, but will never make it or choose it himself. DH won't even look at a vegetable.
    - S C O R E ! ! !
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals
    FITBIT I recommend the Charge HR, AUS$199. It measures steps, heart rate, calories burned and stairs. I switched from the Flex and LOVE IT to pieces. helps me get my 10,000+ steps every day.

Training today: 2 mile walk (done for 444 cals at 127 BPM and 6140 steps) Jeannettes' Bikini boot-camp cardio (soon ~152 cals need to measure and record in MY name )
    Food is fine at 1775 calories.

I have joined Joe Cross site and starting his 3 day "juice only" next week, then juice before walk and after weights/ have his recipes and need to buy stuff next Wednesday to start Thursday. Will report week Saturday on progress.

I see Brian this afternoon.

Stan taken Mildred beagle to beach for paddle and walk. He said he woul;dn't but cannot resist her big brown eyes lol. She is NOT any better

My body fat is being kind and down to 44.4% last night.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't read the poste tonight. Just wanted to let you all know that you may have saved my life last night. I was having the terrible pain again, starting at about 10pm. This time with vomiting. Finally, at 3am I woke hubby and told him I needed to go to the emergency room. All the time with your words ringing in my ears. It turned out not to be a kidney stone at all, but a blocked small intestine. I was in the operating room by 7am. The doctor said it was a very good thing that I came in when I did because it was about to burst. They took out 33 cm of intestine. I have a couple of pretty big incisions, but I could ave been dead. They are keeping me for three days minimum.

So, I wanted to say thank you. Every time I see the scars I will remember your amazing friendship and advice.

I'm really tired again, so I will go. I hope you all are having a great day.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sylvia how scary. So thankful you went in to be checked out. May you heal quickly. :flowerforyou:

Heather love the stories from Sri Lanka.

Had some challenging days working with students. They do like to push the boundaries. The ones I have the hardest time with are the ones who will not leave a student alone who is having a hard time. They make the situation worse instead of better.

2015 word:strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    So sorry for you Sylvia! Glad you went to ER when you did!! Prayers for a speedy recovery!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sylvia THAT is scary. Hope you are ok now.
    I checked JJ's bikini boot-camp cardio and was 216 cals and 3043 steps for 30 mins. Will check all my DVDs with the Charge HR now
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh Sylvia! How scary for you but so so glad you went to the ER. Take it easy and heal up fast.

Figured out that I had been logging a food wrong (chose what I thought was the right brand) and was underestimating calories on something I have been eating off and on for the last month. Maybe that helps explain at least in part why I am just maintaining.

So, armed with that knowledge I am back on track I hope!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    692281io7etjpgjb.gif

Sylvia, I'm so glad you went immediately for medical help. <3 hugs to you
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oh my, Sylvia so glad you got the medical attention you needed. Take care of yourself.
  • calories4tsb
    calories4tsb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I am a returning FitnessPal user (from central Indiana) because FP was the only way I was able to lose those unwanted pounds. I have let the food diary log go because of lack of motivation and time to log in. But I know this is what I must do to get back to the goal weight that I once had!