WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Selina~ Bruiser is either a Silky terrier or a Yorkie.. just adorable... most places will put a free ad in the paper for you.. but look for something distingtive on the dog , so just not anyone will take him...
    as someone else said,I would get him to a vet and get him checked.. and if you are going to keep him, I have friends that have one and they are just little loves.. my friends dog smiles .. soo soo funny... good luck
    I still cant go to see my DFIL stomach bug still going through there...
    going for a hair cut.. ordered the vanity and will call about getting the tub reglazed...
    Joyce~ my girlfriend also does my hair and she does it out of her house... we have a ball every time I go up there.. and I am having hot flashes and I dont have trouble going to sleep it is staying asleep that gives me issues..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi all!
    Well, I weighed myself this morning for the first time after the holiday and . . . wait for it . . . . (drum roll) . . . . I HAVE LOST A POUND! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! o:):drinker:
    Ticker not working, but I will work on it! ! ! !
    That takes me to below 10 stone in British money. 139 lbs. My lightest since the early part of 1990.
    I think that proves the secret of weight loss I read somewhere. Eat less. Mainly vegetables.
    I did that, but I also ate fish a lot. Hope I can hold onto it as my body seems to want to revert to 140.
    DH has stayed the same so he is delighted as well. He did drink a bit of beer while we were away, but wasn't having his afternoon cake, so it balanced out. He did extra walking as he likes the heat. :noway:

Yesterday I got going on the washing, sorting etc, and made some delicious yoghourt, (missing that buffalo curd already) and got the urge to make am Allbran loaf/cake for DH. I added some spices to the recipe and it came out fabulous. It has no fat in it, only a bit of brown sugar and dried fruit and milk. DH has a tendency to lose weight easily so he needs to eat quit a bit more than me. He is a healthy 154 pounds at the moment at 6 ft tall.

Today my cleaner is coming and as she cleaned twice while we were away there isn't much to do. She could iron some shirts, but I am grasping the opportunity to use her to help me to sort out the absolute chaos that is my utility room. As a keen cook I have sooooooo many spices, flours, etc. etc. etc. DH can't find anything, though I can, and stuff is always spilling out. Yesterday he swept up pasta bits, flour etc. It's amazing we haven't got bugs in there! ! ! ! ! I think I will find it easier if I can go through it with someone else and she can wash behind me. I will move some large cooking pots I rarely use that are in kitchen cupboards out into the garage and make use of that space. Also buy some over the door wire shelves. I did a good job on the bathroon, so this is now my project! :bigsmile:
    Dinner tonight is Chicken and Chinese mushrooms with Pak Choi.

Yanniejannie - glad Gemma is settling down. She will soon be a happy mutt!

Michele - enjoy FL and I hope the journey is easy!

Judy - WTG on the harp lessons! Once when I was in Isla in Scotland I drove to the site of a very ancient Lords of the Isles castle. I arrived on a bleak November day and it was starting to snow. I was grieving the end of a relationship. I sat there feeling sorry for myself and turned on the radio. Out of the radio came this amazing mediaeval harp music! A magic moment that changed my mood for the better. :flowerforyou:

Janet - good going on the no gain on the cruise! ! ! ! ! :flowerforyou: Those all invlusive deals are so hard. That's one of the reasons we just do B and B because I'm too mean to pay for much food! :laugh:

Joyce - I agree, a good hairdresser is gold dust! I love the girl I have returned to after her baby.
    I hope you may get to do some cooking this week.

Cynthia - I am coming into your cave to give you a hug. :flowerforyou: So sorry things are tough. :cry:

OK - got to wash my hair and hang up the second batch of washing.

Love to all, Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png

Yeah ticker! ! ! ! !

PS will talk about my knee exercises later . :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Selena, be sure to have him checked for a microchip. They can do it at a vet's office or at an animal shelter. I would guess Yorkie, depending on how big he is, and they are very skinny little things who don't eat much, especially when stressed. I hope you find his owner. I found a dog in a parking lot at Halloween and never did find his owner. He's still here. We named him Spot.

Speaking of Spot, last night he and Molly got into another tussle, and of course hubby had to jump right in the middle of it, so somebody wound up bleeding but we don't know who. Hubby had a good bit of blood on his wrist and on his sleeve, but it wasn't his. There was even blood on the floor. We checked both dogs carefully and both had superficial spots of blood on the outside of their coats, but we couldn't find the source. It was very strange. I wonder if one had a cut inside the mouth or something. If you just let them stop fighting on their own, nobody bleeds, but once he gets involved somebody always winds up bleeding.

I woke up about 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep so finally got up about 5:00. My friend whose mother died said she can go to lunch today, so I'm going to Joplin later for lunch. I have a lot to do before that though. Some drafting to finish up and a bucket of glaze to make. I've promised to deliver the bowls to the school on Monday morning, so have got to get them glazed and in the kiln on Saturday. I did a test bowl, colored it with the special markers, baked it in the oven and put it through two loads in the dishwasher and it did fine, so I'm relieved. This might really work!

My clay club is meeting on Sunday and they told me to bring clay and they will make more bowls for the Empty Bowls event. That's so nice of them. Hubby will load it in the van and they will unload it, so I won't have to lift it. Yay!

Well, it's time to go get in the shower. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Cynthia ... sending warm hugs your way ...

Dealing with more health issues for my sons ... DS#2 struggling with another migraine this morning... DS#1 still transitioning meds.

Good news .... Ashley ... girl hurt in snowmobile accident ... is making huge progress. Casts off arms and with rod in leg she is beginning to walk in rehab. The body has amazing healing abilities!

It's been a rough week so far at work ... someone with an axe to grind spouting lies about my work ... not getting leadership support ... they just let this guy rant and tell me ... "don't worry, we know it's not true." Not sure how much longer I want to work there ... but feel trapped as it's the only place I can think of that lets me set my own hours so I can deal with sons' issues.

:(

Beth in WNY
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Heather great job being down a pound.

Beth prayers. I have been there when I did not get support from my boss. This ranter puts one more burden on you. It forces you to spend more time communicating with your bosses about your job. If you point this out in a positive way to your bosses because you will need to take more of their time to make sure they know you are doing your job they hopefully will put an end to this ranter. It has become an over used word, but what that person is doing is a form of bullying. Prayers for sons. Good news about Ashley.

Off to work today.

2015 word: Strength

Just becasue I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beth, hugs for you! When I was teaching, I was always in trouble with someone. I think some of us are easy targets and I hope your ranting co-worker calms down.M

Michelle, do you bake every day? I bet those who are recipients feel blessed.

Heather, that lost pound was probably due to all the walking in the heat that you did. Good news for you.

I am starting off badly today. Ate a large piece of pizza for breakfast. Had kept it in the freezer for several weeks hoping to lose another pound before I allowed myself to eat it. But, caved in. LOL
  • LilyPearl0560
    LilyPearl0560 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, My goal for this month is to continue to stay on track with healthy eating. I want to be down at least 8 lbs. by March 17 (next doctors appointment)
    Janet Kansas City, MO.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Saw this on facebook and thought it was worth sharing:

https://www.facebook.com/Comedy1031/photos/a.253537938101934.57701.246174815504913/735991103189946/?type=1

Alison: I love the idea of perimeter shopping. I’ve seen the term before, but your post reminded me. Thanks!

SallyW: I like the idea of mixed breed performance clubs for agility, tracking, and so on, but not beauty and conformation. I think some of the breed clubs have gone off on “beauty” tangents that compromise their breed’s health. Bulldogs come to mind, but they aren’t the only breed. We had a purebred American cocker for a while. The breeder was probably a puppy mill producer, but a veterinary doctor stood up for her so we bought the pup. She was cute but not healthy. I saw enough of the Westminster show to admire the Keeshond who made it to the group final. He was gorgeous. They don’t seem to end up winning best in show, and I wonder why not. I really enjoyed watching the agility competition. I’d like to see herding dogs work, too.

Karen in central VA: I love the Purina joke. I need to remember it for friends.

Yanniejannie: I hope your daughter does well at the stable in the cold temps. I guess I was luckier than some going through “the change.” My hot flashes were all at night. After a brief stint on hormone therapy I decided it wasn’t for me and went through naturally. I’d lost two aunties to breast cancer that I’m sure stemmed from hormone replacement therapy and later lost a third to the same issue. I was happy with the decision to go without hormone replacement “therapy.”

TNToni: I’m enjoying our weather now but fear that we’re facing a drought this summer. There isn’t enough snow in the mountains.

Cutec527: My cousin is currently an Arizona snowbird, but is considering staying there long enough to get citizenship status for tax reasons. I’ll be interested to see what he decides.

Pipcd: Your daily exercise routine is amazing. WTG!

Michele: When I was a child growing up I saw an older man buying a lot of dog food at the Safeway store where mom shopped. She told me it was likely for him. I was shocked at the time because it was my first notion that people were not getting enough to eat. Later I had a classmate who was bone thin and wore a “blouseslip” to school as a dress. Her name was Bonny, and she was shy but nice.

Selena: Bruiser reminds me of a Yorkie. Good luck getting food into him and finding his owner. You may have acquired a dog. Sylvia is right. You should have him checked for a microchip. In our part of the country a vet’s office or animal shelter can do it. Our dog has a microchip, as did our last one. If he has a chip you'll be able to locate his owner.

Heather: Congratulations on your lost pound. You’ve obviously done something very right while on holiday. I need to reorganize my food storage, too. I have lots of cupboards and a pantry, and it is all disorganized. Some things need to go to the thrift store and others need to be tossed. The food needs some reorganization. I know this needs doing, but darned if I can dredge up the motivation to do it.

Sylvia: I hope you enjoy your time with the clay club.

Beth: You’ve been given good advice about the ranter. It is abusive and I hope your bosses will be able put a stop to it. They may not know how. There were two teachers at my last school who were best friends and were able to run off two different principals because they were so obnoxious. Yes, it was a form of bullying and not okay at all. I didn’t miss either of them after my retirement. Luckily, I was never their target.

We’re taking our dog to the vet today. He has had a lump on his hind leg since he ran through DSIL’s cactus garden at Christmas. We took him in when we found the lump and he’s had two rounds of antibiotics that did nothing. The lump doesn’t seem to cause him any discomfort. I hope it isn’t anything serious. This will be his third trip in and this time we’re getting our regular vet.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75-year-old farmer, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to politicians and their role as our leaders.

The old farmer said, "Well, as I see it, most politicians are 'Post Tortoises'."

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post tortoise' was.

The old farmer said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's a post tortoise."

The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain.

"You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he's elevated beyond his ability to function, and you just wonder what kind of idiot put him up there to begin with."

:D

• SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think was the same Ole' Farmer :)

An elderly man in Florida had owned a large farm for several years. He had a large pond in the back. It was properly shaped for swimming, so he fixed it up nice with picnic tables, horseshoe courts, and some orange, and lime trees.

One evening the old farmer decided to go down to the pond, as he hadn't been there for a while, and look it over. He grabbed a five-gallon bucket to bring back some fruit.

As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer, he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny-dipping in his pond.

He made the women aware of his presence and they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, 'we're not coming out until you leave!' The old man frowned, 'I didn't come down here to watch you ladies swim naked or make you get out of the pond naked..

Holding the bucket up, he said, 'I'm here to feed the alligator.'

That is one quick thinking ole' guy!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    well i did it... we reserved a cabana ($400 bucks) for our trip to vegas in july. we will b celebrating my husbands 60th birthday for the week. his bday is 7-10-55! we rented a condo that has a kitchen in it so we won't have to be eating out all the time. just like everywhere we go, we still exercise where ever we're at. when we do vegas, we usually run in the morning. last trip there we ran from flamingo to old vegas, fremont street i think it's called, that was about 11 mi. one way, i fell on that one... but i got up and kept running, had to find a bathroom to clean up my bloody knee, lolol.... i plan on getting room service for breakfast one day and dinner for another day. should be fun. trying to decide if i want to loose 3 more lbs or just stay the way i am. got plenty of time.

today i did my own thing in an empty room at the gym, i had my speaker blasting, it was fun. i downloaded some new music for my playlist.. kinda excited when they come on.

congrats to whoever lost that pound!!! way to go!!!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, hello again!

SUCCESS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!! !!!!! :drinker:
    My utility room is now tidy, clean and organised! My cleaner was fabulous and is young and energetic, so she was scrabbling up to top shelves and being ruthless with out of date stuff. She mentioned that we had some unused shelves in the garage, so I went pleading to DH and he took them down and put them up in the kitchen. Now I can see what I've got and I can actually open cupboard doors to get at things. I still have to put jam jars in a box in the garage, but not much else.

Katla - having another person to work with was a great motivator. My friend who is moving soon paid a professional declutterer to help her face the garage, loft, shed, spare room etc. She really couldn't handle it on her own. I'm sure I would have just moved stuff about feebly without my cleaner. Do you know anyone like that? We had it all done in two hours including the shelves. :bigsmile: Even quite young people can give a fresh eye and they are so strong. I remember watching the daughter of my old cleaner who came to work for me when her mum was ill. She was 17. She could pick up the hoover with one finger and managed to clean the inside of all the windows in 10 minutes. A sensible young person might be glad of the extra cash and it MAKES you get on and do it. Now I am smiling every time I walk in there! :love:

I will describe my knee exercises tomorrow. Got to get cooking!

Oh, my DS#2 was on the bbc london TV news last night. He is the General Manager of a brewery in London and the news item was all about how small industrial units are being squeezed out of the East End in favour of housing developments. He sounded very coherent and looked good, but he did put on a bit of a "Mockney" accent, I thought! :laugh: (mock cockney)
    Proud mum. :blushing:

Love to all. Still can't get over my lost pound. ! ! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png

PS - reading yet another book about creating good habits. It's called Level Up Your Day and I have it on my Kindle for £1.99 :bigsmile: Tomorrow I will get back to my typing. I will do it after lunch. o:) (*)
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    • Been up 2 pounds for over a week so swallowed my pride and logged it.
    • My food diary looks pretty good today if I stick to the plan.
    • Week 6 of Couch to 5k for me.
    • 3 days of work travel next week - that's a little scary since restaurants. Plan is to stick to chicken breast, salad, broccoli, sweet potato as much as possible. Bringing my workout gear and running shoes.

Diana in very cold Northeast Indiana
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good day to all you lovely ladies.

*Allison
    , I know it’s terrible that the Nursing Home has a stomach bug but how nice for you that you get a break from going every morning. You are such an angel. o:)

*Heather, Congrats on the weight!!!! That is fantastic and even if it goes up a little, now you know it will come down. Way to go!!! Your organizing job sounds great. Isn’t it interesting how much easier something like that is when there are two of you working on it? If we all just had an organizing/cleaning buddy things at my house would get done so much more often. DH will join in once in a while, which is nice.

*Sylvia, how wonderful that you are getting the bowls ready after your set back. I hope they appreciate all your efforts as they should. You are such a special person.

*Beth, what wonderful news for Ashley. Thanks for letting us know. Sending prayers for your kids. I know it’s hard to ignore when someone talks trash about us, but I hope you can hold on to the truth and not let it bother you too much.

*Sue, that was a cute joke. :)

*Diana, stay safe in your travels next week. It sounds like you have a good plan for staying on track with your eating.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

In addition to my regular exercise I'm adding a little weight training. If I can stick to it maybe I'll see more improvement in my body. *Keeping my fingers crossed* :#

I wish you all a very happy and healthy day. Stay safe and warm in this terrible weather.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

In spite of baseball until 10:00pm last night, I was able to get DS up & in the shower by 5am, so I arrived at work early enough to spend 15 minutes on the hand bike. I increased the resistance by .4 every minute until 7 minutes, then back down again. I plan on doing the same thing during my lunch hour (unsure when that will be, since some co-workers need to go out of town later today).

Today I will stop at the grocery store for milk (2/$4.50), and baby carrots ($0.69). Then tomorrow a different store with some good produce prices.

Only 2 more weeks before I leave for El Paso, and this time it just doesn't seem exciting. I have some new clothes, but I also need to go through all my clothes and start washing/packing, etc. I like to create my outfits before I leave, and roll them together, so when I wake and shower in the morning, I don't have to search through my suitcase for bra, panties, socks, etc, because everything is ready to put on (including my work-out clothes, because Wyndham has a fitness center). I also pack an empty dufflebag, so I have room for anything extra I might purchase while on the trip.

The parent that drove DS to most of his weekday H.S. bowling matches asked me yesterday for a hat, so I better get my yarn and crochet hook ready, so it is finished by Saturday's tournament, otherwise I may not see him again until next year.

Goodness, the phone got busy. Doesn't anyone just stay home and eat chicken soup anymore. Better get this signed off, or it may never happen.

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: my Border Collie had a lump on the long bone of one of his front legs. It was biopsied. I was terrified it was cancer, but it turned out to be an irritation/infection of the bone, probably from a thorn or something while sheepherding. As I remember he had heavy antibiotics for a short while. The bony lump didn't go away, but at least it doesn't bother him (it didn't before the biopsy either. I discovered it while petting him).

I don't know whether this is the same kind of lump you mean, but maybe this comforts you a bit. Let us know what happens.

Cynthia
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Happy Ending Just a quick update on 'Bruiser'. I posted vague information on 3 community sites about finding a little dog (no sex or breed) and asked anyone who'd lost a dog to private message me on Facebook with a photo id of dog and specifics. I only got one message from a girl who'd lost her neutered male Yorkie (tiny) ... a year ago!

She was still looking for Rutledge and has been checking with the local shelters twice a month. She couldn't wait until today to see him (and I totally understand because I'd be the same way) so I met her last night at 10pm so she could see if this really was her little lost dog. Her hands were shaking as she inspected every inch of him (no chip, turns out) and she told me how he'd been taken from her back yard a year ago when she'd put him out to do his business. A few minutes was all it took for someone to grab him and her husband said she was devastated. She said over the past year she's gotten phone calls from people thinking they might have her dog, but it always ended in disappointment because the Yorkies were much bigger.

She had put my picture side by side with the one of him before he was stolen. Same eyes and nose. Same coloring on feet and body. They both agreed they were 99.99% sure he was theirs. I was satisfied and sent him home with them last night. She messaged me later to say how excited he got when they pulled into the driveway and how he's been acting so happy and excited to be in their house (which he was not acting that way in mine).

I feel confident that a miracle has taken place. There is power in never giving up hope. Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions!

Have a successful day!
    Selena
    Utah
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    CynthiaT60 wrote: »
    Katla: my Border Collie had a lump on the long bone of one of his front legs. It was biopsied. I was terrified it was cancer, but it turned out to be an irritation/infection of the bone, probably from a thorn or something while sheepherding. As I remember he had heavy antibiotics for a short while. The bony lump didn't go away, but at least it doesn't bother him (it didn't before the biopsy either. I discovered it while petting him).

I don't know whether this is the same kind of lump you mean, but maybe this comforts you a bit. Let us know what happens.

Cynthia

Thanks so much for your comment. I just got back from the vet. He said the infection was encapsulated & the oral antibiotics couldn't reach it because there was no direct blood flow to the site. There are no signs of cancer or anything scary. He got as much junk out as he could and squirted the infected area full of a liquid antibiotic. If it doesn't heal in a week or two he'll remove it surgically. :flowerforyou:
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Selena, I'm so glad you found the owner for Bruiser/Rutledge, and how elated she must be after all this time. I love a happy ending. You must have been his guardian angel. o:)

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Selena - I'm so happy about Bruiser. How nice that you got to foster him, if just for a short time.

My lunchtime workout didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I did know when to say when. After 3 minutes on the handbike, my tricepts were feeling too exhausted, so I reduced the tension, completed an even 5 minutes, and relaxed with my chicken fajita salad. Since I was able to exercise 10 minutes Tuesday, 15 minutes Wednesday, and 20 minutes today, I will set 25 minutes as my goal for tomorrow. Then, as much as my knees hurt, I will try to get a few minutes on my Dad's bike a few times during the day this weekend.

Saturday is my 15th Wedding Anniversary. DH tried to wake me last night to ask if it's okay for him to work. I guess after this many years, I just don't care. We will have a few nice dinners together in El Paso. The challenge is going to be on Sunday during the Bowling Banquet, because they seldom have healthy choices, but since it will be lunch, I will do my best to keep my serving sizes in check, take a few healthy items to eat prior, and keep myself busy in the evening to attempt to not go over.

Our temps got all the way to +3 today, but luckily it's not as windy as forecasted.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee